elixsor

What do you guys use for cleaning out the bowl and the top of the herb chamber to get the vaped bud out?

I used to have a small little brush but misplaced it and have been looking for something else but can't find something that will work well...

elixsor,

frogbmth

Look for little stiff brushes that are sold for use on rotary hand tools, they are awesome!

frogbmth,

greystr0ke

elixsor said:
What do you guys use for cleaning out the bowl and the top of the herb chamber to get the vaped bud out?

I used to have a small little brush but misplaced it and have been looking for something else but can't find something that will work well...

I usually take the screen out and clean that with some ISO. I just put a little ISO in the cap and then drop the screen and the ring in there for a few minutes. Then I take qtips and dip them in ISO to clean the rest of the herb chamber.

The heating chamber is the hard part. Mine was all brown and black and looked really nasty. Last night I squirted some Simple Green in there and let it sit over night with the Iolite standing up straight. This morning I used some qtips and it got most of the brown and black crap off.

greystr0ke,

elixsor

frogbmth said:
Look for little stiff brushes that are sold for use on rotary hand tools, they are awesome!

Nice! Been looking for something like this since i lost my MFLB brush

elixsor,
Hello my friends, name is mo but everyone calls me the streetracer, just want to say whats up...
I just purchased an iolite handheld (picked it up from a buddy for good price) and wanted to know if anyone had any pointers or things i should do or know before i use it?? How do i get the best hit possible from this iolite handheld?
thanks in advance
mo

505streetracer,

ryan-i

Hey all. Thanks for all of the input on the iolite. I just got one recently and thought i would share my experience, since I've found so much great info in this thread;

i bought this thing, used it for a day, hated it, posted it on craigslist and started looking for a different portable option. Then i found this thread, tweaked my technique, removed the craigslist ad, and have been slowly starting to love it. The tip that helped me the most is to make sure the herb is DRY - this is key and probably wouldn't have occurred to me if I didn't find this thread. I'm used to using moist herb with my other vaporizers. From there, I started experimenting with packing; most people seem to have the best results with smaller bowls, but i've found that if i pack it full(but loose), i get the best results. Seems that this allows for more material exposed to the pin and better conductivity, but with good airflow, creating a richer vapor(in my experience anyway). At this point, I was happy with my purchase, and although I wish I could get a few more degrees out of it, it would work as a portable(this thing is awesome for the car, btw). Wanting the best performance, I decided to head on down to my local shop and pick up an optimizer to try out. The first time i tried it, it improved the experience 3-fold. i took my normal slow, steady draw, but this time i got a pretty thick vapor that actually choked me and came out a thick cloud. Also, the unit seemed much hotter to the touch - borderline uncomfortable. I had 2 bowls like this and went to bed. Woke up the next morning and was excited about the thick clouds i was getting off of the iolite the night before, so immediately loaded a bowl, but could hardly get a visible vapor. This happened bowl after bowl and all i could get was a thin vapor - visible, but thin. Also, the unit was not feeling as hot at this point, so I started playing with an IR thermometer, but that didn't seem to be giving an accurate reading(170f - which it was obviously hotter). After about 8 bowls, and alot of frustration, I realized that I had been packing much smaller bowls to compensate for the volume of space that was now taken up by the optimizer. I decided to pack my normal full size bowl, heated it for a few cycles, and wham-o! milk! I loaded another just to be sure, and it has been the same every time now. love it!

so, for me, best results come from an optimizer, and a very loosely packed full bowl with no other mods other than keeping it clean, which is also pretty crucial. The best way I've found to clean the screen is to "flash" it in and out of the flame of a butane torch a couple of times. Screen is as good as new in 1-2 seconds.

thanks again for all the tips and tricks everyone!

ryan-i,

thujone

also a new poster that joined just to say thanks. bought this almost a year ago and at first really regretted it. i had one of the plastic base stems break off right at the thread while unscrewing it from the bowl. that was about a month or so of downtime. after getting the metal based stems from iolite (for free) i also bought some tubing to make a whip... which made the unit a lot more comfortable to use in general as i mostly only use it at home. however it seemed like i never got decent vapor from the unit though and eventually switched back to combustion.

i recently dusted it off again and to my surprise it gave me decent (definitely not milk) vapor consistently with (seemingly) better efficiency. i think the culprit was that i was packing the bowls too tight. even though i would grind it fine, i think there just wasn't enough air coming through. i recently started inhaling through the whip to suck up plant matter into the bowl... not tamping it at all. just insert it into the unit. that plus the advice on keeping the unit and the butane warm made a world of difference. now excited to be done with combustion all together. thanks!

thujone,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I personally don't like the higher temps that bring the milk. For me, I like a lower temp, to only pull off the more cerebral elements. Keeps the feeling lighter, happier and keeps me more functional. That's just me, though.

So many people are simply after the most pronounced vapor, which means higher temps, and that starts volatilizing off elements I'm not personally looking for.

willieR,

ryan-i

@willier - i guess milk was a bit af an overstatement, but I was excited because I felt that I was finally getting peak peformance out of this thing. it was much, much richer vapor, that actually felt substantial in my lungs. I too prefer the cerebral effects, but I also like to feel like i get a good hit, which is where I felt this vap fell short - until I figured out how to use it. Now I get great, full hits every time. The IO is not generating any more heat, it's just dispersing it more by the increased surface area contact, creating vapor more quickly - at least thats what i suspect.

ryan-i,

max

Out to lunch
ryan-i said:
i've found that if i pack it full(but loose), i get the best results.
A fuller bowl gives bigger hits on most models. The tradeoff is that you have to deal with more hits with less taste as you make your way through ABV to get the whole bowl done. As for using dry herb, you'll have that after a hit or four (depending on the load size), once the water vapor is gone, and it'll vaporize first, although with a fully packed bowl, you may well get some parts of the bowl vaped to dryness (and start getting actives) before the far end of the bowl is dried out. I really don't think dry bud is the key, as much as a full bowl. It just requires some additional hits to vape off the H2O.

Now I get great, full hits every time.
They're certainly more satisfying. As long as you know it's just psychological. Hits that you can't feel or see provide just as much THC and other compounds, and you usually get better efficiency with smaller hits.

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
max said:
They're certainly more satisfying. As long as you know it's just psychological. Hits that you can't feel or see provide just as much THC and other compounds, and you usually get better efficiency with smaller hits.

There ya go

willieR,
Just got one of these second hand, with no instructions - it came with no fuel of course.

How the money do I refill this thing? I assume I switch it to O on the switch so that it can't ignite, then turn upside down and refill like every other butane powered device on earth - but the thing barely wants to take fuel, spilling it everywhere.

Now that it has some fuel it just starts hissing on the I (on position) without me trying to light it, I think just ejecting all the expensive butane I just bought everywhere.

What am I missing? Now when it's on O it makes no sounds and when it switches to I it immediately starts hissing with no other input. When I try to ignite it as the fuel "leaks" or hisses, I can see the spark inside trying but not catching the flame. I traded this on-forum from someone I don't suspect of foul play at all so I guess I'm just missing something?

charliedontsurf,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
I would make sure the unit is good and warmed up after filling If you are seeing a spark that is good! When you turn it on to 1 wait ten seconds (you will hear the butane rushing) then sharply click the ignite r button. Look for the spark, but you will know when the unit catches because you will see an orange glow coming from where the spark appeared. You may need a couple of clicks.

If that fails, use something like a toothpick to purge the butane out. Refill again. Let warm up (I store mine under my wireless router in the winter) because if the butane is cold it will take forever to ignite.

You will hear that rushing sound again every time the unit cycles the thermostat back on to provide constant heat. That is a good thing.

If you still can't get it to light, check in with Iolite via their site. Hope it works for you! I love mine when it ignites quickly. I keep it running sometimes and just refill it occasionally! :peace:

Bluntcrush,
Bluntcrush said:
I would make sure the unit is good and warmed up after filling If you are seeing a spark that is good! When you turn it on to 1 wait ten seconds (you will hear the butane rushing) then sharply click the ignite r button. Look for the spark, but you will know when the unit catches because you will see an orange glow coming from where the spark appeared. You may need a couple of clicks.

If that fails, use something like a toothpick to purge the butane out. Refill again. Let warm up (I store mine under my wireless router in the winter) because if the butane is cold it will take forever to ignite.

You will hear that rushing sound again every time the unit cycles the thermostat back on to provide constant heat. That is a good thing.

If you still can't get it to light, check in with Iolite via their site. Hope it works for you! I love mine when it ignites quickly. I keep it running sometimes and just refill it occasionally! :peace:

Boosh, we have vapor! Thanks for your help. I let it turn for ten seconds, it ignited in 3 tries, orange light came on and in a bit visible vapor seemed to be coming out the vents - I inhaled and got a nice puff of vapor. Is it supposed to stay warm? I get no vapor now or for the last 90 seconds and it hasn't cycled back on.

I hear some people remove the "moisture condenser" which I guess is that little thing with a screen in the mouthpiece. Is this correct? Big hits to be had if I lose that?

charliedontsurf,

Bluntcrush

The moisture thing would be inside the stem. The screen in the herb chamber must be in place, and cleaned regularly...

:D Glad to hear that it worked! After cycling thru a few tanks of Butane I am sure you will start to notice a definite rhythm to the heater cycling. IMO if everything is operating optimally, I would say that I am noticing at least 90 seconds some time before it kicks back on, but I think that has to do with the catalytic converter part of the vape. It might not cycle if there is a sensor inside that tells it when it is at the right temp. When the temp is sub optimal it probably kicks back on to reheat.

One drawing technique that I have enjoyed is taking little sips in between heat ups. I usually preheat my unit for a couple of minutes before I take my first draw. Then when I take the first draw it is very RICH in vapor, then as I sip a little bit more, it starts to weaken. I even get some pretty lung ripping exhales from the little sips! It is pretty neat! Then I wait until the heater cycles and that's when I begin my drawing again

Different environs cause the vape to work differently, and I must say I have truly taken mine out and road tested it in every imaginable situation. Stick with the good butane. A large can lasts a pretty long time, if you are a twice a day vape user. Get rid of the moisture impeller thingy. That might be more for people who vape oils or other herbs. That's my guess...You would want all of the rich herbal flavor you can get and that thing might get in the way...:lol:

Bluntcrush,
I kind of wish our forum had a rep system, because you deserve one Bluntcrush.

I'm happily hitting my Iolite right now without the moisture condenser and getting very rich hits - not the tastiest I've ever had in my life, but very big. I think I'll like this guy alot more than the Lotus with its small bowl and two handed operation.

Edit: wow, big puffs, and it seems very efficient as well relatively speaking. This could be a very real only use vape, I just wish more taste was preserved - everything comes across tasting very neutral after the very, very first hit.

charliedontsurf,

Bluntcrush

Thanks Charliedontsurf! I was happy to be able to help you out! That is the greatest thing about this forum: people are really cool and helpful with one another! I am also happy to be a member of the group! :cool:

Bluntcrush,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
Is there a possibility to clean Iolite, when it gets clogged? I don't even know how to open it.

Seek,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
@ seek, I would direct you to post #2466 on page 99 of this thread. But be careful, I ruined mine in a failed attempt to do the same thing. If your eligible for a warranty repair/replacement, that would be your best bet. I assume you've followed the troubleshooting instructions regarding proper venting and refilling. And if your using ronson or some other brand of cheap butane, that could be causing the problem, simply switching
to vector or colibri could solve your problem.

Albert Hofmann,

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I see. Well, it's still functional. But it scared me today, when it didn't hiss on "1". It also have interruptions in hissing like it's partially clogged.

Seek,

Greeney

My iolite takes forever to turn on... Only if I sit on it or heat it up with a heating pad will it ignite, stupid Ebay or I would have had it fixed. Any suggestions?

Greeney,

Cairo1

Greeney said:
... stupid Ebay or I would have had it fixed. Any suggestions?

I was also stung by ebay geay market selling. Know this: While the manufacturer does not have to deal with your problem, the retailer contractually DOES. Go after that guy.

Cairo1,

Greeney

Cairo1 said:
Greeney said:
... stupid Ebay or I would have had it fixed. Any suggestions?

I was also stung by ebay geay market selling. Know this: While the manufacturer does not have to deal with your problem, the retailer contractually DOES. Go after that guy.

I will... Good idea, but any ideas on how to fix the ignition problem? I'm using Vector

Greeney,
Why are people buying these things on ebay when Amazon has them so cheap? Hell they are just like Nordstrom and have set up everything to take care of you when issues happen!! You might save $10-20 bucks but then you are stuck.

bigbud_n_chill,
question......... anyone use the POWER manufacturer butane???? No one here in albuquerque,nm carries vector so ordered some online and wont be here till next week so i found a store that carries POWER butane 5x refined. Is this a good or bad idea to use this butane???? On the iolite web page it says its ok to use but i would rather check with you iolite guru's first before i attempt to fill mine.
thanks in advance
mario

505streetracer,
Top Bottom