DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
nr-cole said:
cts123 said:
alright thanks just haven't been too impressed with mine,doesnt seem to get me that ripped, also think it tastes like plastic after the first few draws. you guys experience that taste from yours as well?

If you try covering the vent like I describe in the last page, you might find you get some much bigger rips out of it. I've been eager to experiment with the technique since I stumbled upon it a couple nights back, but I'm waiting on some new product. I've also never experienced any kind of plastic taste.

It would make sense that you are getting bigger rips. By Blocking the vents your effectively keeping some of the heat in the unit and preventing it from escaping. The vents are for both the exhaust of fumes and allow access for O2 to get in and be reacted, and totally separate from the vapor path. But I wouldn't block them when the unit is running its cycle, don't want to choke its supply of O2 to the heater.

DevoTheStrange,

willieR

Been here since 2009
lwien said:
I did with mine. I think it came from the draw tube heating up rather than from the chamber itself. Don't really know, but that taste was one of the things that turned me off to this vape.

Ah. I don't use the plastic tubing. Just the standard black mouthpiece.

willieR,

lwien

willieR said:
lwien said:
I did with mine. I think it came from the draw tube heating up rather than from the chamber itself. Don't really know, but that taste was one of the things that turned me off to this vape.

Ah. I don't use the plastic tubing. Just the standard black mouthpiece.

I didn't use any additional plastic tubing either.

lwien,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I used to use the tubing. I opted to sort of modify my inhale. Puff - breathe - puff - breathe sort of thing. I'm not crazy about the length the tubing adds. Stealth is a priority for me.

willieR,

Spacenstein

lwien said:
I didn't use any additional plastic tubing either.

I experienced the same thing, but did you ever try upgrading to the full stainless steel mouthpiece? I gave my Iolite to a friend w/ that upgrade and he said he's yet to encounter any odd tastes. Would you say the plastic taste could potentially harm your health/lungs? -or is it harmless, but annoying?

Also, to people who have the heating element upgrade (Three spike thingy. Sorry, I'm not up to date with the Iolite), how much volume does it take up in the bowl? (ie. bowl used to hold .3, with upgrade, now holds .18?)

Spacenstein,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
@spacenstein,

The three spike thingy you are refering to is called the "optimizer". It takes up absolutely zero room in the "bowl". It goes in the heating pin side, and you load the Removeable part with the screen in it as you normally would. Unless you've been loading it the wrong way by putting your herb in the heating pin side. In that case, then yes it would take up some room, but that is obviously the wrong way to load your iolite.

Albert Hofmann,

Cairo1

I have never detected a smell / taste issue with the iolite. I've been using them for two years now

Cairo1,

dreadlocknot

I've got an Iolite, and i'm interested in purchasing an optimizer...but don't know how much it will help me. Does it speed up the heatup time? or just spread the heat out more evenly?

I don't know of anyone who has one of the optimizers yet.

dreadlocknot,

Albert Hofmann

Convicted vapist
dreadlocknot said:
I've got an Iolite, and i'm interested in purchasing an optimizer...but don't know how much it will help me. Does it speed up the heatup time? or just spread the heat out more evenly?

I don't know of anyone who has one of the optimizers yet.
I have one, and I believe greystrOke reviews his on page 116 of this thread. He didn't care for it at all, in fact called it the "deoptimizer". But it seems to work for me, I get noticeably thicker clouds, and my herb is depleated in less time than if I were to not use it.

Albert Hofmann,

bruce48

Is the optimizer placed on top of the single pin heating element or do you somehow remove the single pin and replace it with the optimizer?

bruce48,

elixsor

Has anyone found a good source for replacement screens other then through the Iolite website as it seems there replacements are somewhat expensive.

elixsor,

max

Out to lunch
The standard dealer price for a 3 pack (6 screens) seems to be $14.95. It's a little cheaper and you can probably save on shipping. Check Vapenow or Vapeworld.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
vapeworld.com has them I know. They usually have an FC coupon code mentioned in this thread as well:
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=2463

Vapeworld also sells on ebay under the name Warehousegoodsonline: http://shop.ebay.com/warehousegoodsonline/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I have had to buy stems but never had to replace my screens even in my IO that is over a year old. A good soaking in Everclear cleans them right up and leaves me some wonderful goodies to make candy with ;)

Lo,

elixsor

Lo said:
I have had to buy stems but never had to replace my screens even in my IO that is over a year old. A good soaking in Everclear cleans them right up and leaves me some wonderful goodies to make candy with ;)

Yeah its really a shame Ive only had these screens for a short period of time and I have cleaned them but they seem to have been rather low quality and are just kind of falling apart compromising the integrity of the screen.

Before this set of screens I hadn't had any problems that why I'm kind of disappointed.

Contacted Iolite but unfortunately it seems the rumors of their CS going downhill are true because the response I got was just yeah screens are meant to be replaced they have no durability standard...:(:(:(

Will definitely check out those links though... I'm hoping to find OEM type screens at this point so I don't have to give anymore money to anyone but OB.

elixsor,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
When you get your new screens I'd suggest dumping loads out when it's hot, not using any pokey sticks and cleaning with only a soak AND do it often. I notice increased vapor when screens clean so it's a plus to keep them clean anyhow.

Quality control might have been an issue for yours...mine have held up very well so fingers crossed your next ones do also.

Lo,

elixsor

Lo said:
Quality control might have been an issue for yours...mine have held up very well so fingers crossed your next ones do also.

Yeah this is probably what I'll have to go with just surprised at absolutely no support from Iolite.

elixsor,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
greystr0ke said:
I've actually never had a plastic taste in mine. Or at least I don't remember ever noticing a plasticy taste. :ko:

In my opinion, when it comes to flavor the Iolite ranks above most of the units I've used before. I would say it gives off the true flavor of your strain and really makes for a great session. And after I dropped mine in my toilet post-flush(no kids in the pool) and it still works, the Iolite gets my vote!

I use the unit more and more everyday!

mvapes,

Bigbenny

Can you still use the iolite without damaging it if you just use the mesh screen in the chamber and dont use the 7 dot chamber screen.

Bigbenny,

VapeHead.com

Retailer
greystr0ke said:
It fits over the single pin.

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=93721#p93721

I wasn't satisfied with it. Then again, I'm beginning to think that my unit doesn't get hot enough after having watched a video of someone hooking their Iolite up to their bong and it actually milking.

Try putting your herb on the optimizer itself, rather than in the filling chamber. A mate does this and gets close to smoking, the leftovers are powderized.

VapeHead.com,

john24

Does this vaporizer always make your herb brown?

Struggling a little with my Magic flight box (after i've used it, theres some green left, but also some black). Wondering if this is the same, or is it all brown after been used?

john24,

sundaddy

Hey, I've got the MFLB too. For whatever reason, the box seems to run a little hot at first, it will mellow out. One thing you can try is, don't wait more than 2-3 seconds after putting battery in to draw, then draw medium to slow. You will get the perfect rhythm after a while. The Iolite browns herbs really evenly, but a lot of units seem to develop issues. I actually traded mine. (Iolite does have a 2 year warranty)

sundaddy,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I've have the flight box as well. In my opinion the Iolite is superior. It gives me an even toasting, a nicer and smotther flavor and takes me to a "higher" level after a session. The MFLB does generally over toast or should I say unevenly cook my "product" too.

The only problem I ever have with my Iolite is that if you dont clean it while its hot...it is a b*tch to clean.

mvapes,
Top Bottom