Derf

@michellaphone. Nice to have you on board. Hope you stick around for a while.

How did you find us, and what started you looking for information?

Derf,

michellaphone

I stumbled across the sight after a somewhat highly skilled bing search. This site is kind of hidden on the internet sometimes. Anyhow, my Iolite wasn't working right (I have the pink one!) and it unfortunately crapped out on me in front of my neighbors at a time when it really should have been working. So I started looking to resolve the issue. Which for the most part I think it had everything to do with the fact that I don't know anything about filling up lighters or butane or anything like that. (Honestly most of the time I don't really even handle the stuff I normally do). I had to follow the instructions posted by the company lady before it started working again.

However, I am reporting back to say that while I was trying to fix my butane problem I was also cleaning out the components (including a screen which was jammed the &*$# in there and I seriously had to use a hammer at one point in my endeavors to get that mofo out. And then I cleaned it all (sadly to admit, for the first time ever since I bought it back in March/April....) and put in a new screen and started it up. I had no impatience towards letting it wait because by then I was busy cleaning all of my other items of stuff (Bling is AMAZING).

But in any case, once I hit it, I have never experienced such wonderfulness from that little machine. And I use it. A lot. At one point I could actually see the cloud of vapor I expelled into the air. I mean, WOW.

We'll see how it carries on. Anyhow, there is a lot of good information on this page that should be compiled into a big list or something. It's all so helpful. Really quite very good.

michellaphone,

madramblin

Hey all, I am a currently unhappy Iolite user. Basically I had a yellow Iolite that died after like 2.5 months of constant use. I sent it back in April and got it back a few weeks ago, I am definitely pleased that they sent me a new one with a new mouthpiece, but I think it might also be defective. The Iolite usually starts after a few clicks, but it runs out of butane after around 15 minutes. Its pretty obnoxious, I had a couple half filled cans that I killed pretty quick, and I thought this might be the reason, but I got a new can today and its the same thing. I have purged the tank, but I don't really know what else to do. Has anyone experienced this? I have already spent more time servicing this thing then using it, even though its great when working.

madramblin,

Derf

madramblin said:
Hey all, I am a currently unhappy Iolite user. Basically I had a yellow Iolite that died after like 2.5 months of constant use. I sent it back in April and got it back a few weeks ago, I am definitely pleased that they sent me a new one with a new mouthpiece, but I think it might also be defective. The Iolite usually starts after a few clicks, but it runs out of butane after around 15 minutes. Its pretty obnoxious, I had a couple half filled cans that I killed pretty quick, and I thought this might be the reason, but I got a new can today and its the same thing. I have purged the tank, but I don't really know what else to do. Has anyone experienced this? I have already spent more time servicing this thing then using it, even though its great when working.
No experience like that, but if it dies after 15 minutes I would think that the internal resevoir isn't being filled very much. When you position the butane fill tube over the fill port of the Iolite, it should take a good two seconds of filling where you should hear a hiss of butane, before you start to see butane spraying back up away from the fill port. Are you filling it like that?

i don't think you need to purge the tank. Just fill it up completely once, and then wait 30 seconds before switching it to "1" and push the clicker. Report back on how you fill your Iolite.

Derf,

Derf

michellaphone said:
I was also cleaning out the components (including a screen which was jammed the &*$# in there and I seriously had to use a hammer at one point in my endeavors to get that mofo out.
toolkito.jpg

Derf,

madramblin

Derf said:
madramblin said:
No experience like that, but if it dies after 15 minutes I would think that the internal resevoir isn't being filled very much. When you position the butane fill tube over the fill port of the Iolite, it should take a good two seconds of filling where you should hear a hiss of butane, before you start to see butane spraying back up away from the fill port. Are you filling it like that?

i don't think you need to purge the tank. Just fill it up completely once, and then wait 30 seconds before switching it to "1" and push the clicker. Report back on how you fill your Iolite.
I fill it like that. It seems to be taking a normal amount of time to fill, should have a full tank. I usually wait around 5 minutes after filling to start it up, but that should be okay.

madramblin,

Derf

Hmmm... maybe you're just getting so ripped you lose track of time? :rolleyes:

Umm, well assuming that you are filling it correctly, and the resevoir is taking on all the butane, perhaps you have a leak in the resevoir?

Have you tried filling the Iolite and letting it sit for various periods of time before starting it? For example, if you fill it, wait a minute and then start it, does it die after 15 minutes? What if you wait an hour? What if you wait a day, does it still only run about 15 minutes?

If it runs about 15 minutes in all cases, maybe the leak isn't in the resevoir, but the internal tubing running between the resevoir and the catalytic heater. Do you smell any gas when the heater isn't hissing?

Derf,

madramblin

Yeah, it sits various amounts of time before getting used. I usually fill it 5 minutes before use, but often I will end up smoking and using it again later, sometimes it only lasts like 8-10 minutes maybe this is when it sits. I have noticed more gas smell with this unit then with my previous one, definitely. I will contact Iolite, I hope they can get a new one to me quick.

madramblin,

chucku

Charles Urbane
madramblin said:
Yeah, it sits various amounts of time before getting used. I usually fill it 5 minutes before use, but often I will end up smoking and using it again later, sometimes it only lasts like 8-10 minutes maybe this is when it sits. I have noticed more gas smell with this unit then with my previous one, definitely. I will contact Iolite, I hope they can get a new one to me quick.
Don't forget, they now have a US service center. If you are in the Chicago area you may even be able to go there.

chucku,

michellaphone

My vaporizer was doing something similar and it seemed like it was always running out at SUPER inconvenient times too. It then just stopped letting out the gas. I followed the instructions like 2 pages back or so from the Iolite representative about how to purge and refill the butane (x2). I also realized I was using some butane that was not-so-good for my vaporizer. It's working well now. \

I believe you are supposed to wait 5 minutes after refilling your Iolite to use it.

michellaphone,

chucku

Charles Urbane
The following is from the support page on their site.

Toll Free Telephone: 888-710-3055
Fax: 815-425-8042
Email: cs@my-iolite.com
Address:
iolite North America
8550 Ridgefield Road , Suite C
Crystal Lake, IL 60012

chucku,

Theo

Now that I've joined up I'd like to add my :2c: to this thread (haven't read any of the 103 pages heh). I bought my i-olite second hand on eBay around November-ish and LOVED the thing. I used it quite a lot as I was in a dorm at school and it was just incredibly easy to use on the go and pretty much anywhere. The main problem I noticed was the mouthpiece snapping at the threaded part incredibly easily and having to buy replacements. The second problem is that my i-olite died for absolutely no reason ~1.5months after I got it :( Sucks I decided to buy second hand and not direct from an authorized dealer to get the warranty :mad:

If anybody asks me about the i-olite I always say go for it as long as you buy it with a warranty!

Theo,

magiclight

Fuck Combustion
Derf said:
I feel like it would be really great if Oglesby & Butler would post on their Iolite web site that the Iolites now have UPDATED materials for the mouthpiece/straw that resists cracking/breaking.

I also think it would be really SUPER DUPER great if O&B posted on their Iolite web site that there was a mouthpiece exchange program, and if you send in your old and/or broken mouthpieces, they will be replaced with the new mouthpieces free of charge.
Sweet! I just caught the tail end of this thread. I can send them my broken mouthpiece? Awesome. I'll try it and must tell my friend who also has one - with a broken mouthpiece.

magiclight,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Actually you might try emailing them pictures of the broken stems. I sent pictures and they sent me replacements from Ireland before the US service center opened. Not sure how it's handled now but they sent me replacements more than once for free after I sent pix of my broken stems.

@Theo.... Though it might not be covered under warranty you still might be able to contact them for service. Even if you have to pay it would be cheaper than a new Iolite. Couldn't hurt to email them and see what they say.

Lo,

Theo

Lo said:
@Theo.... Though it might not be covered under warranty you still might be able to contact them for service. Even if you have to pay it would be cheaper than a new Iolite. Couldn't hurt to email them and see what they say.
IIRC (I would not be surprised if I didn't remember correctly as my memory is terrible) but I did email them and they said they couldn't repair it as it's not under warranty. I didn't ask if they would repair it for a nominal fee though, but I just bought an Extreme-Q that should arrive in a couple days, so right now no need for the i-olite. I have kept the whole thing and all the parts though just in case!

Theo,

rastaman.fb

Heisenberg said:
hi guys, so far i have had no bigger problems with my iolite and was pretty happy with it.
but for a short time i have the following problem: i start it and the first heating ciecle begins and ends. everything normal so far. but now after the hissing of the gas flow starts, it won't re-ignite. i have to ignite it manually and it works until the same problem appears again. has anyone had the same issues? :/

edit: i have already vented the unit and am using the same fuel as before when it used to work very well.
I went to a festival on the weekend (reggae summerjam ;) ) and i got the EXACT SAME problem.
I was so disappointed i nearly wanted to brake the stupid thing :(

after it stopped working, it worked for one single more time and after that NOTHING worked, no refill no nothing , no action brought any result.

please help.
rasta.

rastaman.fb,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
rastaman.fb said:
Heisenberg said:
hi guys, so far i have had no bigger problems with my iolite and was pretty happy with it.
but for a short time i have the following problem: i start it and the first heating ciecle begins and ends. everything normal so far. but now after the hissing of the gas flow starts, it won't re-ignite. i have to ignite it manually and it works until the same problem appears again. has anyone had the same issues? :/

edit: i have already vented the unit and am using the same fuel as before when it used to work very well.
I went to a festival on the weekend (reggae summerjam ;) ) and i got the EXACT SAME problem.
I was so disappointed i nearly wanted to brake the stupid thing :(

after it stopped working, it worked for one single more time and after that NOTHING worked, no refill no nothing , no action brought any result.

please help.
rasta.
I too have the same problem, what I tend to do is hold the unit at the top and with a little force hit it against the palm of my other hand until it starts to hiss again, then ignite. After that if I kind of shake the unit while it hisses it doesn't do it again.

AgentofChaos,

Derf

nasti said:
how tightly do you screw in the mouthpiece?
What an excellent question.

One of the problems with why the mouthpiece cracks is due to the fact that the mouthpiece is screwed in too tightly. If you install the mouthpiece when the Iolite is cold, once the Iolite comes up to temperature you will notice that you can screw the mouthpiece in a little further. The reason for this is that the metal threads in the Iolite expand when they get hot, allowing the mouthpiece to screw in further. The opposite is also true in that if you screw the mouthpiece in when it is hot, and then wait for it to cool, the metal threads in the Iolite will contract, tightening their grip on the mouthpiece.

I believe one of the fundamental reasons for the cracking of the mouthpieces has to do with different thermal coefficients of expansion. The metal threads will expand more than the plastic threads of the mouthpiece. When the plastic mouthpiece is inserted into the hot metal threads of the iolite and then allowed to cool, the metal threads act like a vice, contracting against the plastic threads more than the tolerances of the threads on mouthpiece allow. Couple this with the fact that the plastic threads of the mouthpiece will be held at a higher temperature for a longer period of time, compared to the tube/straw part of the mouthpiece, and you have uneven thermal expansion of the mouthpiece from the threads to the other end. This causes micro fractures in the mouthpiece, that will eventually lead to the mouthpiece structurally failing by breaking off.

One solution then would be to only put the mouthpiece in when the unit is off, just until it begins to feel tight, and not to tighten it when the unit is hot. Another solution would be to remove the mouthpiece at the end of a session BEFORE the unit cools. Both of these solutions will prolong the life of your plastic mouthpieces. However, they may eventually fail due to the fact that one end (the end with threads) is being held at high temperatures in the Iolite, while the other end is relatively cool. The new mouthpieces from the manufacturer solve this problem, and I recommend everyone to contact them about a replacement. They were kind enough to send me a replacement simply by requesting one.

Derf,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Good points Derf and completely line up with my experiences. Thanks for that post!

Lo,

Geeza

Hi there folks> I have just found this place and hope to meet some good likeminded people.:brow:

I have today received my iolite vaporizer. I have for many years used My Volcano... I know that the volc is the Rolls Royce in vaporization but I wanted to go portable.. I have tried the iolite several times today and must admit that I am disappointed!!! There seems to be NO VAPOUR AT ALL...

I have tried and tried but no vapor.. It is getting hot.. I have left it on for ages and tried straight away,, I have put in a little and a lot...

I have just noticed that the spent bud is brown and out of THC like in the volcano.. So it must be working but no apparent vapour..

Will have to try when not stoned to see if it works LOL

Any ideas please????

Thanks lots in advance

Geeza,

nasti

agreed. awesome explaination.

I also noticed that when i put on the mouthpiece when its cold, after vaping, and cools again, the mouthpiece will not come off.

I will have to turn it back on again to twist it off.

and i tighten it just ever so slightly...

nasti,

niall

Geeza said:
I have today received my iolite vaporizer. I have for many years used My Volcano... I know that the volc is the Rolls Royce in vaporization but I wanted to go portable.. I have tried the iolite several times today and must admit that I am disappointed!!! There seems to be NO VAPOUR AT ALL...

I have tried and tried but no vapor.. It is getting hot.. I have left it on for ages and tried straight away,, I have put in a little and a lot...

I have just noticed that the spent bud is brown and out of THC like in the volcano.. So it must be working but no apparent vapour..
How are you inhaling? Read the manual - you should be toking slow and long, like drinking a thickshake. Lots of great posts earlier in the thread on this topic, there's a bit of a technique to learn but once you've got it down the iolite rocks (barring QA issues a few people have experienced).

niall,

max

Out to lunch
I have for many years used My Volcano...
Anyone can use a bag vape. With direct draw there's a learning curve. #1 mistake that people make -hitting it too hard. A hard draw pulls a lot of cold air into the heating chamber. But you say your remains are brown-meaning you're getting enough heat to vaporize. The vape is working. You just need to get in tune with it.

max,
Top Bottom