How to clean vape parts and reclaim resin

utcupcake

This looks similar as to what I was left with.
As the kids say, "it's all good." Even the stuff around the sides.
I picked up a pollen press for $6 on Ebay, figuring that it would be useful for this - it wasn't.
For straight kief I could see its utility.

Mine evaporated in a glass brownie pot and it was very easy to scrape and nudge it all off with a butter knife. It did make a very enjoyable smoke, I have to say. It even had that nice sweet taste and aroma that "real" hashish has.... wish I had more.
I was just wondering if I you have to burn the alcohol off or if I am patient enough could I just sit it up on a shelf for days and wait for the alcohol to evap. on it's own?

Do you have to use heat. Could I just sit the dish to the side for days and wait for the alcohol to evap. naturally. I am worried about blowing my ass up. lol.

mod note: Please use the edit button to add to a post. We're OCD here about back to back posting.

utcupcake,

Vitolo

Vaporist
You always let it evaporate on it's own
when I am in a hurry I use a Hair drier from a distance that will not splash liquid around.
I also when almost done sometimes pre heat the oven to 200... then shut it
I put the dish in on the rack, and leave the oven door open halfway......
the rapid cooling of the warm oven will rush evaporation.

Vitolo,

z9

I was just wondering if I you have to burn the alcohol off or if I am patient enough could I just sit it up on a shelf for days and wait for the alcohol to evap. on it's own?

Do you have to use heat. Could I just sit the dish to the side for days and wait for the alcohol to evap. naturally. I am worried about blowing my ass up. lol.

It is always best to be cautious but you won't blow yourself up unless you're evaporating massive amounts of alcohol in a small, airtight, candlelit room.With that being said, it isn't good to expose your body to those fumes over an extended period of time. It can make you feel sick to your stomach, give you headaches, etc.
Some alternatives to a long natural evap are to either double boil, use the oven method Vitolo uses, or use an air purifier like to speed up evaporation like I do. Normal fans and hair dryers work but I don't like blowing more dust into my dish than necessary; which is why I use the air purifier... or fancy filtered fan, whatever you want to call it. Just don't leave your oil out in the sunlight, it might be okay since its reclaim but I'd still avoid long direct exposure to sunlight.

z9,

utcupcake

mod note: Please use the edit button to add to a post. We're OCD here about back to back posting.

i use an electric heating pad to speed up the process. works everytime
So you just put you pyrex dish of alcohol on a heating pad? How long does that take to evaporate?

It is always best to be cautious but you won't blow yourself up unless you're evaporating massive amounts of alcohol in a small, airtight, candlelit room.With that being said, it isn't good to expose your body to those fumes over an extended period of time. It can make you feel sick to your stomach, give you headaches, etc.
Some alternatives to a long natural evap are to either double boil, use the oven method Vitolo uses, or use an air purifier like to speed up evaporation like I do. Normal fans and hair dryers work but I don't like blowing more dust into my dish than necessary; which is why I use the air purifier... or fancy filtered fan, whatever you want to call it. Just don't leave your oil out in the sunlight, it might be okay since its reclaim but I'd still avoid long direct exposure to sunlight.

Mod Note: You've made 3 back to back posts; one quoting a mod note to please stop...
When possible, please avoid making back-to-back posts in a thread. Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts. Last three posts merged. You have 6 hours to edit a post.

utcupcake,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Utcupcake if you look on the bottom of you post on the left hand side you will see the word edit. You can use that to make posts if adding to a previous post or thought. I also suggest to go and read the rules that might help.

Welcome to the forum.

Dreamerr,

utcupcake

I know I am taking the risk of sounding stupid but, how exactly do you use the air purifier?

Utcupcake if you look on the bottom of you post on the left hand side you will see the word edit. You can use that to make posts if adding to a previous post or thought.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks I appreciate the info.

Mod Note: Posts merged... Again!!!

utcupcake,

Vitolo

Vaporist
utcupcake-
when Dreamerr made the suggestion about using "edit", you said thanks, but did it again.
Back to back posts go to our emails, and we rush to see what was said...
Evaporation can be done in 5 minutes or you can let it take a month.
It is all the same.
If you let it evaporate slowly, keep it in a cabinet or drawer to avoid contamination by dust.

Vitolo,
Reactions: SD_haze

z9

I know I am taking the risk of sounding stupid but, how exactly do you use the air purifier?

I use heat and I lay on air purifier down on top of my dish so that there is a steady stream of dust free air blowing on my alcohol. The air moving over the alcohol greatly speeds up evaporation, add a little heat and you'll have the alcohol evaporated in no time.

z9,

olivianewtonjohn

I dont smoke that much (>.5g a day on average) so it will take me awhile to have a decent amount of reclaim and ABV but here is my plan for the future.

Take my ABV and my kief and make a cannabutter for cooking. Then what I have been doing is clean my arizer stem with ISO in a shot glass, then once the resin has dissolved pour it into a plate to evaporate. Then I scrape clean the plate and collect the stuff in a container. In the end when I have enough collected couldnt I pour ISO over it again and then heat purge it to make sure it is safe for cooking? Is this a reasonable idea? Then I would take the ISO reclaim and cannabutter and combine for cookies/brownies?

EDIT: Or after the ISO has dried for a long time it is reasonable to assume everything but my desired product has evaporated? When I googled the results seemed to say that ISO is safe to use for edibles but to make sure to purge it first.

olivianewtonjohn,

utcupcake

WOW! What a strict sight. I guess I just don't know what button to hit where and I am scared to even post this afraid I am going get red writing again. I have 6 hours to fix it and I don't even know how to fix it. :0( Very intimidating)

utcupcake,

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
WOW! What a strict sight. I guess I just don't know what button to hit where and I am scared to even post this afraid I am going get red writing again. I have 6 hours to fix it and I don't even know how to fix it. :0( Very intimidating)
Use the Edit feature located at the bottom of your posts.

it goes away after 6 hours, though.

Quetzalcoatl,
Reactions: Dreamerr

friedbanana8

would the iso evap process be applicable for resin from a herb pipe. I used to combust and the stem piece to my bong is packed with resin still as i havent even looked at it since i started vaping. But im about to run out of wax and i wont be able to pick any up for a while. Ive been thinking about hitting up the resin, even though i know most people say its bad, but considering its only a one time thing, i dont think much harm will come from it. Would i be able to vape this resin in my persei hercules setup? They say the hercules can vape anything, i wonder if thats true in this case.

Edit: Also when it comes to pull the resin off of the pipe with iso alcohol, do you guys add salt to help pull it off or strictly iso alcohol?

friedbanana8,

farscaper

If you intend to inhale it I would highly suggest NOT to salt it. I only suggest this if you are in fact going to puger and vape it, I personally would hold out for more and clean ur piece and pitch that garbage out.

But, if u wanna do it I would also suggest filtering it as to remove solid particles, maybe even go as far as to use everclear or ethanol to collect and do a winterization process... You may be able to winterize with iso as well ,
Either way it will be yucky to taste...

Best of luck and report ur findings back :)

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So I have a mason jar full of ABV - I am going to pour iso in it, drain after about 30 seconds then pour what was strained onto a plate to drain? Am I on the right track? How much ISO should I Use?

mvapes,

friedbanana8

If you intend to inhale it I would highly suggest NOT to salt it. I only suggest this if you are in fact going to puger and vape it, I personally would hold out for more and clean ur piece and pitch that garbage out.

But, if u wanna do it I would also suggest filtering it as to remove solid particles, maybe even go as far as to use everclear or ethanol to collect and do a winterization process... You may be able to winterize with iso as well ,
Either way it will be yucky to taste...

Best of luck and report ur findings back :)

purge? would this be a step further than evap and scraping? and yeah i got some coffee filters to get rid of the solid particles, but its taking for ever to get the resin off the pipe by just shaking it in iso alcohol in a ziploc bag. Im right now only limited to iso; what do you mean by winterization process? Im a newb to reclaiming so please forgive my naivity.

friedbanana8,

friedbanana8

Don't re-use combustion resin, there is a ton of nasty stuff in there.

please read my post again. I stated that i already know that its not the best thing to do, but its a one time thing. Please read my post to avoid cluttering this thread with useless warnings.

i have pain up the ass without medication, so ive picked the lesser of two evils. No more needs to be said about that. But if you have anything to help me carry out this process to make it less harmful, then that would be most appreciated.

friedbanana8,

mmenzie

My friends call me "Menz"
So I have a mason jar full of ABV - I am going to pour iso in it, drain after about 30 seconds then pour what was strained onto a plate to drain? Am I on the right track? How much ISO should I Use?

sounds good to me... that is what i do

mmenzie,
Reactions: mvapes

Vitolo

Vaporist
I would NOT use Iso with pipe resin.
The resin is NOT vapor residue... it is full of tar and will NEVER fully evap the Iso.
The only safe way. (term "safe' used loosely as it is combustion) is to scrape it manually..
and then combust it with a minitorch or good lighter in a pipe... where it will sizzle till done.
Do not add Iso to combusted resins EXCEPT to clean the resin and then toss i.
YES... I know some "stoners" do it all the time.
We are vaporists, and the Iso will linger in tar laden resin.

Vitolo,

friedbanana8

I would NOT use Iso with pipe resin.
The resin is NOT vapor residue... it is full of tar and will NEVER fully evap the Iso.
The only safe way. (term "safe' used loosely as it is combustion) is to scrape it manually..
and then combust it with a minitorch or good lighter in a pipe... where it will sizzle till done.
Do not add Iso to combusted resins EXCEPT to clean the resin and then toss i.
YES... I know some "stoners" do it all the time.
We are vaporists, and the Iso will linger in tar laden resin.

oh man!, so you're saying that i should have just boiled it in water? damn i guess im going to have one painful headache ridden week.

friedbanana8,

Vitolo

Vaporist
NO......
if you did it and it is done, then use it.
I would try to just not inhale the very first sizzle.... then that should remove some of the Iso contaminants.
I did not realize the deed was done. (was going for preventive medicine here!).
You could also take it outside and hit it with the sun and magnifying glass on a plate for a minute to boil off some residues.

friedbanana8

NO......
if you did it and it is done, then use it.
I would try to just not inhale the very first sizzle.... then that should remove some of the Iso contaminants.
I did not realize the deed was done. (was going for preventive medicine here!).
You could also take it outside and hit it with the sun and magnifying glass on a plate for a minute to boil off some residues.

do you think i could throw it in the hercules for the persei?
or strictly torch it?

friedbanana8,

farscaper

purge? would this be a step further than evap and scraping? and yeah i got some coffee filters to get rid of the solid particles, but its taking for ever to get the resin off the pipe by just shaking it in iso alcohol in a ziploc bag. Im right now only limited to iso; what do you mean by winterization process? Im a newb to reclaiming so please forgive my naivity.

so, by purge i mean evaporate or otherwise (purge) remove the solvents from what would be your end product...
i typically dont deal in ISO, hate the stuff except for when its going down the drain... but i think you have gotten enough health sermons for one day :rolleyes:

so, winterization is a process in making absolutes involving Butane extraction, and since we are messn with strait combustion resin idk that it will help, but it might... basically u would freeze the solution of iso and resin for as long as u can stand lol usually overnight or 24hr period. then you would strain that through a filter to remove the plant waxes and such. In this case the purpose would be to coagulate anything that would otherwise sneak through the filtering process thereby causing its coagulated form to become trapped in the filter. make sense?

i would follow this process myself if i were doing what ur doing.

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate

now, if ur looking for an alternative to vaping it you could try eating it... frankly it would be less gross IMO and probably less caustic since MOST digestive systems can tolerate a little more abuse than the respiratory system. I do this with all my reclaim... especially since once its vaped its decarbed... so if thats ur cup o tea :cool:

clean piece
winterize
filter
evaporate
scrape it up and add coconut oil.

ill gladly go into more options and details if ur interested in the latter solution.

MM - how much ISO do you use? Fill the jar, half jar, etc...?
I would fill it til there is a liquid level above the product. your going to have to squeeze the material dry to get every last drop of gooieness out... i suggest a french coffee press for this.
I purchased mine to make hash oils and now its the only way i have coffee lol 2 fold!

Top Bottom