how much better would you say vaping is compared to smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
It isn't a flash point, it's a sublimation point. A flash point is the temperature at which a volatile material vaporizes and forms an ignitable mixture with air. I hate seeing the term used in this context because not only is it being misused, it is misleading. It encourages people to think that vapourization of the components is binary, in that nothing happens until a certain temperature is reached.

Thanks, corrected. That's also one of my pet peeves (I try to teach people what adsorbtion is as well).

This is not correct, some of the component begins to vapourize before the nominal sublimation [...]
What this means is that temperature controlled vapourizing is not, as some think, releasing all of component A or only component A at the temperature listed in the popular charts around the web. Rather, it is altering the ratio of component A to the others so that it is dominant. Component A starts to vapourize at lower temperatures, just in smaller amounts.
Thanks, I couldn't word that correctly for some reason.
My convolutedly phrased first paragraph was supposed to come out resembling that.

deadc0ffee,

TriiKLe

Manufacturer
I could be wrong, but isn't there something in Cannabis that "sloughs" off bad things in your lungs?

TriiKLe,

OF

It isn't a flash point, it's a sublimation point.

No, actually it's not. It's evaporation. Going from the liquid to gas phase. The higher the temperature, the faster the process. Just like water. The warmer the day, the faster the puddle or our clothes dry.

Sublimation is the direct transition from solid to gas, like "dry ice". No liquid. It has to do with triple points (meaning pressure as well) and a bunch of other boring stuff. It's not what's in play.

Boiling point, what's often listed, is another matter. At that point liquid is not possible at normal pressures. Again like boiling water. Raise the herb to the BP all all the THC (or whatever) is going to boil out. Some small amount of vapor will remain the the material and condense again.....making AVB all the more interesting.

If it's really important, you can look it up, but name aside the idea is right. As you approach the 'magic temperature' the rate of production goes up. Go past it, and you've got all you're going to get.

OF

OF,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
That makes sense if the components exist before vapourization as a liquid rather than a solid. I know the difference, but somewhere I picked up the idea that the actives are solids. I guess I was encouraged to believe this because we (or I at least) dry my stuff thoroughly. I have been misinformed before and probably will be again. Evaporation point it might be, it's certainly not a flash point.

pakalolo,
Reactions: OF

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is that the process (being evaporation or sublimation) is actually called volatilization.
:peace:

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
I think vaporization, volatization and evaporation are strictly from liquid (evaporation below the boiling point), sublimation from solid. Maybe volatization could be from any state.

Seek,

OF

That makes sense if the components exist before vapourization as a liquid rather than a solid.

Evaporation point it might be, it's certainly not a flash point.

Nope, pretty clearly liquids (think PG....). Nobody seems to concerned about the freezing point (we could be the first, get some government money, buy a bunch of pot.....) but it melts long before we vaporize it off.

It's not the normal definition of 'flash point' but remember there's another definition that does fit as in 'flash to steam'. Flash does not always involve combustion. This is what's happening when you dab on a nail, the boil off is so fast it's termed 'flash' as in 'flash boilers' in steam and desalination plants (done with either excessive temperature or pressure drop).

I'm probably wrong, but my understanding is that the process (being evaporation or sublimation) is actually called volatilization.
:peace:

Yes, both qualify (as do other processes), however sublimation is pretty rare. Perhaps the best know would be moth balls?

Fun stuff. The 'take away lesson' is the closer to boiling point, the faster the production. Past the BP, it's already happened.

OF

OF,

djonkoman

That makes sense if the components exist before vapourization as a liquid rather than a solid. I know the difference, but somewhere I picked up the idea that the actives are solids. I guess I was encouraged to believe this because we (or I at least) dry my stuff thoroughly. I have been misinformed before and probably will be again. Evaporation point it might be, it's certainly not a flash point.
rom my observations I would think it passes the liquid stage. it's a mx of a lot of tings, but it gets your fingers sticky, so not completely solid. if I vape hash, I don't get any visible vapor the first hts. the first hits the hash does get softer, and easier to stir into smaller bits afterwards, some hash melts into one puddle after those first few hits. after this stirring it starts producing vapor. everytime of I put it away and hit later, the first hit will be a little weaker, and second hit is full force. and I can judge if the hash is almosty spent by it's structure, if it's still sticky, clings together etc there's still vapor to be gotten, if it's dry and powders it's done.
I think the reason this is not noticable with weed is that you have a lot more surface area, and more solid matter in between, so every trichome gets rapidly heated from the outside, softened, and then starts giving vapor.
maybe it would be interesting to see how the trichomes look under a microscope after one or a few vaporhits, but when the weed is stil far from done. I expect that a big part of the trichomes will look different/are gone(melted onto the solid plant matter)

btw, didn't know mothballs involved any sublimation, then again, I don't think I've ever seen a moth ball. I would think that dry ice is wider known

djonkoman,

abbrev

For me it's about infinitely better minus 1. It's -1 because I get allergic reactions from Vapor such as some itching, sneezing, clogged nose and sinuses, rash, etc. the basic hayfeaver stuff, can't blame the vape for allergies though :)

abbrev,

weedemon

enthusiast
no contest night and day... just get over the adjustment period. and learn to notice the difference

weedemon,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
It's not the normal definition of 'flash point' but remember there's another definition that does fit as in 'flash to steam'. Flash does not always involve combustion. This is what's happening when you dab on a nail, the boil off is so fast it's termed 'flash' as in 'flash boilers' in steam and desalination plants (done with either excessive temperature or pressure drop).

This has the same problem that originally disturbed me, namely that it implies the process is binary. It isn't.

pakalolo,

vapirtoo

Fuck all that scientific shit! Been vaping for over two years and my lungs feel great.
Back when I was combusting my lungs and breast bones felt tight and stiff. It was as if
the grim reaper was handing me the joints to follow him.
Now I'm medicated most of the time and my body and mind feel fantastic.
I can take huge inhalations with no discomfort, and my cardio is back to
my old athleticism. WIN WIN WIN :lol: :ko:

vapirtoo,
Reactions: Stu

chris 71

ive been vaping since last november still smoke once in a while. one negitive i have noticed with vaping opposed to smoking for me it seems .
i work construction drywall currently im working on a large commercial job with all kinds of dust, wood dust, concreate, steal, plastic, drywall you name it. and most of the time these buildings have air condictioning.
this means that they are air tite, windows are usally sealed or dont open.
anyway i have noticed that when im working in these places, and i vape when i get home, its all most like i am drying, (cementing this crude in there) sometimes i have a real hard time coughing and hacking trying to get this crap out.
it seems like with smoking it actully helps to get this crap out more, tar to stick to this crud and expell it. vaping like i said just seems to make it harder to get out.
i actully just this weekend have desided to not vape for a while and see if this really helps
(just one guys experinece}

chris 71,

OF

anyway i have noticed that when im working in these places, and i vape when i get home, its all most like i am drying, (cementing this crude in there) sometimes i have a real hard time coughing and hacking trying to get this crap out.
it seems like with smoking it actully helps to get this crap out more, tar to stick to this crud and expell it. vaping like i said just seems to make it harder to get out.
i actully just this weekend have desided to not vape for a while and see if this really helps
(just one guys experinece}

Very interesting observation.

While I don't follow how vaping could make it worse, I can see how a bunch of tar and sludge could coat stuff (even glue it in place) so it doesn't bother you? Does the smoke actually cause you to cough it up?

It's my understanding that 'black lung disease' afflicted miners thought they had no trouble 'eating the dust' like the new guys..... Not all dust leads to silicosis of course, not even sure it fits into this, but it seems like it might?

OF

OF,

chris 71

hi OF, yep been trying to figure this out for almost a year now since i got my first vape. a mflb, became an avid reader hear. i have a solo now.
im a long time smoker of cannabis first time i was 13, 41 now. bit of a worrier, started wondering about my lungs heard bout vaping, thought awesome, went out and got one.

at first i thought this is great but after a few weeks noticed i was coughing more from the vapor then the smoke, read all about the adjustment period switching from smoking to vaping. hear on fc.
noticed though it seemed to be a commen occurence for people to have some probs with it.

any way to make a long story short i had lung xrays and a full lung function test.
turns out my lungs are good.
no copd, no air space disease, nothing.
have good lung volume good saturation, there was some note of very small air passage ways could have had better numbers on the test.
but all in all they doctor, and tecnician told me too keep doing what i was doing becuse it was working for me.
and they were well aware i was having the test because of my smoking history, and specificly pot smoking, said rite on my chart.
considering all the abuse from smoking tabaco and pot and all the dust started drywall at 16. dont smoke cigs anymore though im in pretty good shape.
anyway this past week last week i had a extra dusty couple days at work. and i vaped wen i got home as usual.
but come friday and saturday i was having a hard time with my breathing coughing and hacking could feel all this stuff in there but it wasent moving.
i felt like i was dried rite out and i have noticed this a couple other times.

not sure why but the vapor just seems to cement this stuff in there but the smoking seems to get my mucus going and i can feel a sort of ozing that helps be hack it out
vaping seems to actully stop this ozing.
anyway in short lol i guess maybe in my case smoking could be better for me although i really enjoy vapor if i wasent working in the dusty envoriormentt vapor would be my choice.
one other thing maybe worth noting.
just becuse the vapor doesnt hve the carcinagioens that smoking has doesent mean a free pass or tickek to healthy lungs ther is lost of lung dieases from breathing to much particals think cotton or other fibers. only time will tell as vaping as we know it is really still in its infincy
anyway sorry for all the spelling mistakes and bad writing but im just too tired to care i was sanding drywall to day lol
one more thing hot steamy showers or a suana i think could work very well
holy that really wasent short was it

chris 71,

nucleo

If you vap and sit down, try not to fall asleep, you will experience the high, just don't eat or move or interact. Ever notice how quickly the high wears off when you are outdoors? What about when you are in front of your computer? It lasts 10x longer.

nucleo,

djonkoman

that's personal, for me I usually feel higher for longer outside. for example if I vape a quick stem(or 2) before hopping on my bicycle to go to the bar in the city, my high feels intenser as my usual computer/tv highs.

djonkoman,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom