how much better would you say vaping is compared to smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctyler

i am about to order my first vape, the arizer solo, and i am wondering how much better it is than smoking? i as of right now only have one of the nicest bowls, costed me about 55 bucks, and thats usually what i use, i have also used a cheap bong, which i dont think was really nice cause it was only a 80 dollar one that my friend got at the head shop, but how much better would u say vaping would be compared to a bong or a bowl, would it be worth it to pick up the arizer?

arctyler,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
The stats changed depending on where I looked but I remember that you lose 40% of the active ingredients when you combust, there are all sorts of lovely (read: carcinogenic) chemicals that are released alongside tars and other fun things to cough up that are only released in substantial amounts while smoking, and vapor tends to be absorbed more than smoke (which causes you to cough up some of the active ingredients regularly)

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
i am about to order my first vape, the arizer solo, and i am wondering how much better it is than smoking? i as of right now only have one of the nicest bowls, costed me about 55 bucks, and thats usually what i use, i have also used a cheap bong, which i dont think was really nice cause it was only a 80 dollar one that my friend got at the head shop, but how much better would u say vaping would be compared to a bong or a bowl, would it be worth it to pick up the arizer?

Honestly, I used to think I had nice bowls and bongs (around $150 - $200 each piece), until I started vaping and seeing the Cloud in action. The glass pieces by Mobius, Soverignity, StoneGlassWorks, etc., those are insane. I can't believe how awesome vaping is. I was a non believer, been combusting for 15 years or so. Started vaping in the date in my sig, and haven't looked back!

newVaper420,

djonkoman

good enough to have turned me from a weekly combuster into a daily vaporist.

djonkoman,
If you want numbers there was a study posted around here somewhere that found in a GC/MS analysis that vapor is made up 95% of cannabinoids, whereas smoke was like 12% cannabinoids. While the smoke contained overall more cannabinoids from the weed, it also had much more "unwanted" byproducts of combustion.

That doesn't make it necessarily better though - just different ;)

personally i now vastly prefer vapor, i would even say i despise combusting now... but i know a lot of people who try vaporising but never switch over... you'll have to find out for yourself ;) but you sure are at the right place to start your trials! welcome to FC :)

SoulCaptivesAreFree,

Lou

As someone who has just switched, it is just a bit different. It takes some getting used to. I would definitely agree with the opinion that it is much less of a mind cloudy feel.

Lou,
Reactions: OF

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
As someone who has just switched, it is just a bit different. It takes some getting used to. I would definitely agree with the opinion that it is much less of a mind cloudy feel.
Less CBN :)

deadc0ffee,

OF

Another good measure here is consumption. It's widely held your consumption goes to 1/3 or 1/4 of what it was combusting. Right off, half your THC isn't getting burned up before you can get to it, that cuts your bills in half right there. It's also held that your uptake is more efficient for pure vapor and without the junk in there it takes less THC in the blood to do the job. Guys that go 'straight across' are probably on the 25% of the old bill end, some guys are going to vape more often (go figure....) and be closer to the 1/3 end?

OF

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Another good measure here is consumption. It's widely held your consumption goes to 1/3 or 1/4 of what it was combusting. Right off, half your THC isn't getting burned up before you can get to it, that cuts your bills in half right there. It's also held that your uptake is more efficient for pure vapor and without the junk in there it takes less THC in the blood to do the job. Guys that go 'straight across' are probably on the 25% of the old bill end, some guys are going to vape more often (go figure....) and be closer to the 1/3 end?

OF

I'm currently sitting at 50-60% of what I used to combust. I would love to be using only a quarter of what I was combusting but that is not realistic for me.

However, it is definitely more efficient and the savings are there. :-)

newVaper420,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
Isn't it CBD?
Very different. CBD helps me with anxiety, CBN/CBG make me feel out of it.

I'm currently sitting at 50-60% of what I used to combust. I would love to be using only a quarter of what I was combusting but that is not realistic for me.

However, it is definitely more efficient and the savings are there. :-)

Ditto, I vape much more often than I smoked though.

deadc0ffee,

djonkoman

I use less or the same I think, what used to combust in one night when I was a weekly combuster would now probably last me at least a week too, but with daily vaping. but since a month or so, since I got a bong, my consumption has gone up again. still not much compared to combusting tough.

djonkoman,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I vape much more often than I smoked though.

Same here. I use about 1/4th of what I used to, so now I can take 4 times as many sessions and still equal out. ;) If I only had more time.

For me I used to have a hard time making it through a bowl via combustion. I would have to wait a good bit between hits because I just couldn't breathe (I also smoke cigs).

With Vaping I feel nothing but smoothness. This alone allows for more sessions than ever imaginable with burning. The problem is every time I get a little ambitious and try and vape several bowls, I usually just quit from being too damn high. :mmmm:

Tweak,

TriiKLe

Manufacturer
From my own experience, it is life changing. Besides the different affects you get from the method of consuming your herbs, there are a lot more benefits as well. These are just a few reasons:

Exercising is easier.
My sense of smell and taste has gotten more sensitive.
My food tastes better, especially when the munchos kick in. No tar-smoke-carbon flavor in your mouth.
Teeth are whiter.
I enjoy my herbs more. Taste them better. Skunky, Sour, Grassy, Citrus, Floral etc.

I don't think any full time Vaporist will go back to combusting.

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
From my own experience, it is life changing. Besides the different affects you get from the method of consuming your herbs, there are a lot more benefits as well. These are just a few reasons:

Exercising is easier.
My sense of smell and taste has gotten more sensitive.
My food tastes better, especially when the munchos kick in. No tar-smoke-carbon flavor in your mouth.
Teeth are whiter.
I enjoy my herbs more. Taste them better. Skunky, Sour, Grassy, Citrus, Floral etc.

I don't think any full time Vaporist will go back to combusting.

When you vaporize you usually get more of the THC and increasingly less of everything else more resistant to heat. When you combust, the temperature is high enough to get vaporize a wider assortment of both harmful and helpful things.

CBG/CBN/THV/CBC = Mild psychoactive effects, various receptor ant/agonist properties (blocking or enhancing properties of other drugs), Most have higher vaporization temperatures (~210C+), Medical properties (CBG: Glaucoma prevention/treatment, CBC: analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, THV: metabolism regulation, blocks some effects of THC, CBN: couchlock)
CBD = mild "couchlock"/anti-anxiety/clearheadedness + medicinal properties + might play a part in blocking memory loss from THC ~205C vaporization temp
THC= Pretty much everything else + medicinal properties ~150C vaporization temp

EDIT: this has more information, but nothing on flash sublimation points.

deadc0ffee,

Norlin

Classic Rocker
While I'll always vape over smoke, I think they'll find that vapes aren't nearly as healthy as we first thought. We're inhaling gaseous oil to be condensed into a semi-solid in our alveoli. That can't be good. I'm not necessarily saying it's bad for you, but I can say that without a doubt clogging your small airways with viscous oils doesn't help your lungs at all. The amount is probably insignificant.. Just a thought, y'know?

Edit: Excuse me, Semi-solid, not solid.

Norlin,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
While I'll always vape over smoke, I think they'll find that vapes aren't nearly as healthy as we first thought. We're inhaling gaseous oil to be condensed into a solid in our alveoli. That can't be good. I'm not necessarily saying it's bad for you, but I can that without a doubt clogging your small airways with viscous oils doesn't help your lungs at all. The amount is probably insignificant.. Just a thought, y'know?

I actually sometimes like filling my mouth with vapor and slowly pushing it into my nasopharynx and out of my nose (this way, vapor condenses in your upper airway and not your lungs). It takes longer to work but seems to work over a greater period of time.

EDIT: this works best the vapor is cooled

deadc0ffee,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
When you vaporize you usually get more of the THC and increasingly less of everything else more resistant to heat. When you combust, the temperature is high enough to get vaporize a wider assortment of both harmful and helpful things.

CBG/CBN/THV/CBC = Mild psychoactive effects, various receptor ant/agonist properties (blocking or enhancing properties of other drugs), Most have higher vaporization temperatures (~210C+), Medical properties (CBG: Glaucoma prevention/treatment, CBC: analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, THV: metabolism regulation, blocks some effects of THC, CBN: couchlock)
CBD = mild "couchlock"/anti-anxiety/clearheadedness + medicinal properties + might play a part in blocking memory loss from THC ~205C vaporization temp
THC= Pretty much everything else + medicinal properties ~150C vaporization temp

EDIT: this has more information, but nothing on flash points.

It isn't a flash point, it's a sublimation point. A flash point is the temperature at which a volatile material vaporizes and forms an ignitable mixture with air. I hate seeing the term used in this context because not only is it being misused, it is misleading. It encourages people to think that vapourization of the components is binary, in that nothing happens until a certain temperature is reached.

This is not correct, some of the component begins to vapourize before the nominal sublimation (not flash) temperature. This effect is obvious when you watch water come to a boil. Some molecules at the edge surfaces gain enough energy to vapourize well before the boiling point is reached, hence you will see steam rising. A hot cup of coffee is steaming (vapourizing) well below the boiling point. Etc. Further, the compounds you list do not exist in isolation in cannabis. They are bound in a matrix that is changing as it is heated, and this too affects the sublimation temperature.

What this means is that temperature controlled vapourizing is not, as some think, releasing all of component A or only component A at the temperature listed in the popular charts around the web. Rather, it is altering the ratio of component A to the others so that it is dominant. Component A starts to vapourize at lower temperatures, just in smaller amounts.

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
We're inhaling gaseous oil to be condensed into a semi-solid in our alveoli. That can't be good. I'm not necessarily saying it's bad for you, but I can say that without a doubt clogging your small airways with viscous oils doesn't help your lungs at all. The amount is probably insignificant.. Just a thought, y'know?
I think still uncomparably better, than clogging them with toxic tars with thousands of random nasty chemicals. I believe these oils are more healthy than harmful. Of course lungs don't like being clogged by anything, but at least they're able to clean these oils fast (unlike soot) and maybe even get some healing effects from it.

Seek,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom