Discontinued herbalAire

OF

Regarding the sealing matter (in presence of an Arizer Solo glass stem), if one single piece won't the trick then maybe two:

ff8r3d.jpg

:2c:

Hard to say without trying, however it seems right off like it needs a clamp or something to load the seals to make them gas tight (otherwise it can tip between hits and leak there next time)? If I were facing it (I'm not, I use the factory parts) I think I'd start with Teflon tape. Folding the tape up then building up a ring before opening it up with overwraps could make a wedge shaped 'stopper' on the shaft at the right point I think.

OF

OF,

onigiri1692

I promised when I posted my Whip Tutorial that I would at a later date post a tutorial on how to make balloons with a Arizer glass balloon mouthpiece. I have not made a tutorial up to this point because samirfuzzywuzzy already had posted an excellent one in the 'Vapor Related Equipment' section of the forums.

Here is samir's original tutorial:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/volcano-x-ha-x-eq-ultimate-balloon-plus-turbo-mouth.4743/

Except for a few minor details, I make my bags the same way samir does, so I intend this to be more of a review/how to use Reynolds Oven Bags (which you can find at a grocery store around the foil, plastic wrap and such) with our HerbalAires.

First the required materials:
In the picture below, you can see the required materials, as well as the black o-rings which are needed to secure the mouthpiece to the bag. (they come with the mouthpieces)

anKA3.jpg

Simply scrunch up the bag around the glass mouthpiece as shown in the picture below.

sEFmP.jpg

Once you scrunch up the bag, slip both the black o-rings over the bag and the glass mouthpiece. If done correctly the mouthpiece/bag should now look like this after you cleanup all the excess plastic. (excuse the dog hair)

Cbab5.jpg

Remember, as a prerequisite to using glass Arizer mouthpieces with an HerbalAire, you need to drill your teflon mouthpiece to make the hole bigger. This is actually a very simple procedure that takes 10 minutes to complete. I explain how to do it in the post with my whip tutorial.

In the picture below you can clearly see from the 'resin line' that my teflon mouthpiece (on top of my college diploma) creates a good seal and is the right size to recieve either the balloon or whip, which uses glass pieces the same size as the balloon mouthpiece.

vlwAj.jpg

The next picture is intended to give you an idea of the size difference between the 'large' and 'turkey sized' oven bags, with the large on top and the turkey sized one on the bottom. If anyone is wondering the turkey sized bag is approximately 2.5 times larger then the large sized bags. I recommend using the 'large' bags for personal use, and the 'turkey sized" ones for groups and parties.

43RSL.jpg

Also don't forget, you can use the Reynolds Oven Bags without the Arizer mouthpieces. I have used these bags for years, even before I recently switched to glass mouthpieces. They are high quality, cheap, and accesable...I cannot recommend these bags enough :peace:

onigiri1692,
Reactions: Egzoset

darkrom

Great Scott!
Awesome write up. That glass mouthpiece is neat as well. Makes it easier to reclaim stuff.

darkrom,

onigiri1692

Awesome write up. That glass mouthpiece is neat as well. Makes it easier to reclaim stuff.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The glass makes reclaim much, much easier. There is also the added benefit of the wider diameter of the glass, which makes clogs and air flow problems in the teflon straws non-existent.

onigiri1692,

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
I REALLY need to find a vaporizer, that I can purchase & use ASAP. My VaporBrothers gave out on me a few days back, & I can't medicate very well without it!(you guys know what it's like). I was looking into the HA a few yrs back but have never liked bags, nor that its airpath seems not clean like an all glass path(for example). Where DOES the air come into the unit from? Also, I remember reading somewhere that when not hooked to the airpump, the 'Jets' turn on only when the HA senses the user drawing/hitting the unit. Is this correct? I am considering the HA again, since I really would like a low-maintenance vape....& I know people used to claim you didn't even have to grind your herbs when using an HA?! :ugh::shrug::huh:

Also, where would yall recommend I snag one if I decide to do so? I would prefer the best deal & quick delivery. I don't really want to pay 250 like vapeworld is asking. :disgust:

GratefulVapor,

OF

I can recommend the HA and getting it from Amazon as suggested to me by another Forum member a few weeks back when I asked about getting a replacement for mine. $180 or so shipped, got here in a few days.

Bags are OK IMO, fun sometimes even. However, I usually use 'direct draw'. I put a short hose on the stem (which can get hot in longer sessions) and toke away. Air enters the Teflon body through the hole the pump hose plugs into when blowing bags on the back side. It then goes up through the heat exchanger, through the little holes in the floor and into the crucible chamber with the herb (or concentrate.....) up and out the top. Without the pump, you have to suck to draw air through (conduction vape). The 'airpath' is quite clean and pure by conventional standards. Safe metals, Teflon and whatever hose you put on (I'm using 500 degree Silicone). Excellent temperature control. Mates directly with your waterpipe. Tough as nails drop wise, 'nothing' to break.

Yes, unless your buds are very dense, they vape just fine as they are. And as I hinted above, several of us have stuffed some of the pad from the Volcano concentrate pad into a spare crucible and vaped all manner of concentrates with great success.

IMO it may not be the the best vape alive in some area, but it's very good in a whole lot of them. It should serve you well for a long time.

OF

OF,

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
Im afraid that when vapebonging, the teflon mouthpiece will .. well .. fall off? There was talk about it not being secure; when I looked into the HA a few yrs back. Owners were claiming that when trying to invert the unit, or when mating, or after, the main teflon mouthpiece would easily & often come loose and separate from the unit. In turn this would mean your herbs would fall out too! I am worried about this, or should I rest at ease as I am wrong & this is rarely a problem? I really would benefit from a low maintenance, easy to use, reliable vaporizer.

Very interested in the solo mouthpiece mod. It seems all you have to do is OWN the mouthpiece & then it mates on the HA with no further additions(PLEASE correct me if I am wrong). Especially liking the GonG adapter for Solo from PlanetVape. Would I still be able to use my HA without a grinder if using the Solo-Mouthpiece? Does anyone here mate their HA to stemless tubes(all mine are this style), or bubblers? Worried about its size making this difficult(maybe impossible with some tubes?) + the unit is inverted. I need to go through water due to extremely sensitive lungs, so this is VERY important. If I would be better off sticking with a whip-based system like the EQ for water-filteration, please let me know(even though I would prefer trying something different than whip-style). I really appreciate the help & am very GRATEful!:peace: If I can find out the info I need, I may be a fellow HA owner by the end of the week. :rockon:

GratefulVapor,
IME, the Teflon mouthpiece is only loose when the unit cool. Basicaly just allow the unit its normal 5 minutes heat up time with the mouthpiece inserted, and it'll fit right for the whole session.

Yes, the solo stems mates functionally with the HA with no other pieces to buy. I've used mine with inlines and conventional tubes and what have you, it's all gravy as long as there's room for the body of the HA to be.

charliedontsurf,

darkrom

Great Scott!
So my stock pump (the one I was complaining about the switch being bad) BLEW UP in my face yesterday, and luckily it burnt my hand instead of my face..... Toggled the switch and a loud bang and an arc and smoke and fire... WHAT THE FUCK? :mad: Luckily I only burnt my hand and not anything else, like my carpet it was on. I am not too happy with this at all. Looks like its time to buy the fusion 700 and to shoot HerbalAire an email about their exploding pump. I hope they just hook me up with some accessories instead of a replacement shitty pump. I have no interest in using that loud (and apparently explosive) pump again.

Of course the seller I bought it from is willing to replace it, but I'd have to ship it out and I don't really think it is right that I'd have to pay to ship something broken to get one working in the first place. Especially since I was far from impressed with the pumps noise level.

Still like the vape just fine, but I stand by my opinion that the pump BLOWS more than ever.

When I get home I'll upload a pic I took in shock that shows my blackened finger. What a bummer.

darkrom,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations GratefulVapor,

...never liked bags, nor that its airpath seems not clean like an all glass path (for example). Where DOES the air come into the unit from?

The airpath is made of metal and a white heat-resistant material which i believe to be teflon/PTFE, unless i'd be mistaking. If you don't like this too much then the Arizer Solo glass stem + crucible configuration will remove the top part synthetic(s) from this equation, which would only leave a very short inlet bridge carrying fresh air directly to the heat exchanger from the back of the HA unit. I suspect that this white bridge may be the one synthetic part which gets the hottest because mine has darkened slightly and pure alcohol won't make it clean again. Perhaps i got a refurbished model and the previous owner connected the pump in reverse, leaving deposits there to be cooked hard... Go wonder. Other than that there's nothing else in the airpath like wiring plastics, electronic component leads with Sn/Pb plating exposed to heated air and whatnot, as seen in other products! So, if you can trust that the manufacturer chose a safe white heat-resistant material for a few marginal spots then have no worries because the airpath is tightly sealed, for all practical purposes.

Since you don't seem to appreciate bags so much neither then perhaps you might like to take a look at my post about the Happy Vappy Vari which is another strirr-less vaporizer. The later has a shaped body looking pretty much like that of an HA but it's got 2 digital displays (under) for temperature setting & monitoring it would seem. The oven may be compatible with HA crucibles but someone would have to check this out...

:peace:

Egzoset,

OF

So my stock pump (the one I was complaining about the switch being bad) BLEW UP in my face yesterday, and luckily it burnt my hand instead of my face..... Toggled the switch and a loud bang and an arc and smoke and fire... WHAT THE FUCK?

Bummer, glad you weren't hurt or given the exciting opportunity of watching the local Fire Department trying to save your house.....

However, (without digging mine out to check...) the pump is both CSA and UL approved? This means independent testing agencies of two different governments each tested and evaluated the design and manufacturing of the unit for just the event. Their primary concern is Fire Safety specifically. In fact they're driven by the Insurance Industry which doesn't want to pay for a new house for you. The formal name of UL includes "Fire Underwriters", shortened to "Underwriter's Labs". Having been through certifications, I can assure you they are the most definitive and effective processes 'the experts' (on both sides) can devise. This means there is no reason to think the next unit of that type and make will be any more reliable (or less safe) than any other similar make and model with the same ratings. Noise is, of course, another matter.

The common mode of failure of such gadgets is insulation failure in the coils leading to shorts between turns. This causes a huge load at that point that either burns out or burns up. The cause of that initial breakdown is hard to understand for some, it has to do with the nature of the device. It's a coil of wire with some iron stuff in it. It's more than just a piece of wire, it's an electromagnet. It's of course the magnet part that does the pumping in the end. If you take the iron part out (or straighten out the coil) you loose the magnetic properties and all you have is a hundred feet or so of wire 'across the mains', HUGE currents are available for mischief. With them come equally large voltages at times. This is exactly what causes the big sparks in the stitch from time to time. Switch it at the 'wrong time' in the power cycle and available voltages can be several times normal. The switch most likely killed the coil in your case.

This is why it 'blew up' when switched, rather than at any other time. This is the way this sort of failure typically happens.

To try to bring this all back together, this sort of failure is exactly what could happen if you go taking the recent advice to use a simple rectifier based line cord 'dimmer' for lamps with such pumps. They are not intended for inductive (electromagnetic coils like here, sometimes called 'reactive' due to these kinds of effects) service, their UL and CSA certifications (and those of the devices they're used with) no longer 'count'. In this use they are basically switching the unit on and off 60 times a second. Not what most would think is a good idea given your experiences?

Again, bummer you had a failure. While I think there's no more danger with this model than any other it seems like the time to upgrade for noise reasons? Keep in mind there are thousands and thousands of those pumps in service that haven't burned a house down.....yet.

Lucky for you you can fall back on 'direct draw' until blowing bags is again the call. Best wishes.

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah I'm not saying watch out this pump will kill kittens or anything, just one horrible experience. I KNEW there was some kind of issue with the switch, I figured it would stop working not arc and pop in my face :uhoh:

I still prefer the quieter pumps anyway, but I want to contact HA and at least let them know this happened. Maybe just for quality control purposes etc. Nothing against the vape. Got a bad switch and it happens.

darkrom,

OF

Yeah I'm not saying watch out this pump will kill kittens or anything, just one horrible experience. I KNEW there was some kind of issue with the switch, I figured it would stop working not arc and pop in my face :uhoh:

I still prefer the quieter pumps anyway, but I want to contact HA and at least let them know this happened. Maybe just for quality control purposes etc. Nothing against the vape. Got a bad switch and it happens.

Sounds like sound judgment all around. I'm betting (based on past dealings) that the maker will thank you for the information and do something nice for you. In my case I needed a new temperature scale label because of shipping damage and was willing to swap it out myself to save shipping. After convincing them I could they sent me a couple of replacement labels and a free bag kit. If I was you, I'd be sure to tell them I'd bought another pump....

Sounds like you're on track, bully!

OF

OF,

Egzoset

Banned
I'm no fan of the MythBusters but since there's a claim to the effect that a diode will cause the HA coil-actuated pump to blow up then i guess this infers the event could be predicted to happen and hence that would rendrer it reproducible... A video showing the complete setup in details from start to finish, including the explosion & injuries, would get my attention and make me want to modify the way i use that pump. I do believe a guy MUST protect himself when he has reasons to think there's any danger, after all!

Egzoset,

OF

I hope you mean buddy not bully :( lol

:cheers:

No, shocking as the concept might be, I actually meant what I wrote. Bully! As TR might have said? Fact of the matter is I've no idea what sort the other fellow is, but he seems polite enough for me.....

Good thing I didn't use my real name, eighwhat?

OF

OF,

VapeVoice

Managed to snag a brand new HA 2.1 off of ThorzThunder on Ebay for $132.50 via auction. Just got it in and have it plugged in burning off any manufacturing oils. The instructions say in bold letters to not grind the herb. What are your thoughts on this?

VapeVoice,

VapeVoice

I like it. Big hits off the whip. Haven't tried the bags yet but, I will tonight. Doing my spring cleaning as we speak and setting up my spare room as a man town / vapor lounge. Once I get that squared away I will fill a bag and jump into a hot bath. I'll let you know how that turns out... the bag, not the bath. :p My DBV should be here tomorrow or Saturday the latest and if that is as good as this I don't see myself needing any new hardware for a while. Although that Omicron with herb carts I am hearing about sound like they will have me busting into the bank account at least one more time.

VapeVoice,

OF

The instructions say in bold letters to not grind the herb. What are your thoughts on this?

You can, but you don't have to usually. All but the very tightest buds vape fully in the end, brown though and through. Very little dust this way, and the HA uses coarse screens so ground herb will make it out unless you fit a fine screen in the mouthpiece or put one directly on top of the load (I do both in fact).

I run a lot of AVB in mine, by definition it's ground and you can do nothing about it. Likewise, bubble hash is fine giving you no choice save not doing it. Be sure to put a pad in it for hash, who knows what happens if stuff drips into the works.

They do get to brag, 'you have to grind for everyone else's vape, but not ours'.

OF

OF,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I will fill a bag and jump into a hot bath. I'll let you know how that turns out... the bag, not the bath.

Please be careful on the vaping/hot bath thing. We have had a few members here have problems with orthostatic hypotension (fainting) while doing this. Cannabis lowers your blood pressure, combine that with a hot bath and stand up to get out and bam, you are on the floor before you know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

OF

Please be careful on the vaping/hot bath thing. We have had a few members here have problems with orthostatic hypotension (fainting) while doing this. Cannabis lowers your blood pressure, combine that with a hot bath and stand up to get out and bam, you are on the floor before you know it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

OK, let me see if I have this straight. If you should fall into (or otherwise find yourself in) a hot bath tub, you should vape until it cools off. Right? Is that room temperature or should a guy bring extra and a sandwich with him?

We can do this, guys. Ya gotta stay safe you know......

OF

OF,
Sweet Jebus, Darkrom! Glad you didn't lose any fingers. I too would love to see some photos of the charred hulk that was your airpump.

On the hypotension thing, I once took a very mild header in the sauna at the YMCA because of this, I'd been in there for about 20 minutes on the upper bench, went to stand up and... Haha, down I went. I blacked out for about 5 seconds, and I woke to some kind lady shaking me like a misbehaving baby going "Good god, are you okay!?"

Thankfully I fell on my shoulder/chest and not my noggin. The whole blood pressure/MMJ aspect is a real concern, especially for the elderly or compromised.

Vapevoice, you're a lucky dog, 132.50 is a ridiculous price for an HA. Edit: haha, glad it showed up, you just bought from this guy!
And I hope the HA wasn't stored next to those penis-extenders he's selling.

charliedontsurf,

VapeVoice

Ya great deal. Came in all brand new. Didn't see any rubber penis dust :/ lol! I saw this video after I bought it and all I could do was shake my head. Hey who am I to turn down a deal... even if it is from some very strange little god of thunder.

VapeVoice,
Top Bottom