• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued herbalAire

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Changed my mind on the tubing and went with Silcon® it has better specs. You can find it here:

t-dub,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations T-Dub,

What is your philosophy...

Sometimes an image is worth a thousand words so here's one!
15.gif

Allow me to present the EgzoCombuster:

wbuijo.jpg

MouHa! Ha! Ha!
24.gif

Well, lets make abstraction of this stove-based concept for the time being!!!

71.gif

Anyway...

Ideally it only needs to "by-pass" the main white teflon mouthpiece. Glass is easy to clean and it turns out i find the Arizer Solo glass stem to feel cooler on the lips. If i want to preserve the airpath's diameter i just need to find some piece of tubing which would be large enough in diameter. The HA tubing works OKay though so there's no rush...

For me the perfect contraption should be short to limit leverage as you pointed out. The glass tubing could be slightly narrower to fit the down-sized version of a main white teflon mouthpiece acting as a seal intead. It only has to be sufficiently long to render PVC tubing connection possible.

What i want is a short handle at most which won't break easily and come off with the HA crucible fitting at its end (to help avoid spills while ensuring the precious cannabic vapour doesn't go anywhere else).

But that's only me.

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: t-dub

zmurder

I ordered the HA2.2 last Thursday from Planet Vape and should receive it mid-week. I have a lot of vapes and this one may seem like an odd choice at this stage....but I'm a ways down the Cloud list and wanted something new to try and I'm really excited about its direct vape-bonging capabilities.

The HA has been around since 2005 (I hear) and had really never intrigued me before, but I started reading this thread after seeing a few mentions over on the Cloud thread about the HA's temperature stability and ability to be directly mated to a 14 or 18 downstem. I also think the HA may be slightly better for introducing others to vaporizing....slightly better than my DBV that is, since I won't have to worry about them spilling the herb or combusting by drawing too slow. And though I'm not a bag guy I like the idea of having the capability for those rare occasions. Just thought I'd bump the thread and say I'm looking forward to receiving a new vape this week!

zmurder,
Reactions: MG23

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I'm really excited about its direct vape-bonging capabilities.
You should be excited, its awesome :D Congrats on the purchase. If I wasn't saving for the Cloud I would Upgrade to the 2.2 and give my 2.1 to someone I know who needs it.

t-dub,

OF

I ordered the HA2.2 last Thursday from Planet Vape and should receive it mid-week. I have a lot of vapes and this one may seem like an odd choice at this stage....but I'm a ways down the Cloud list and wanted something new to try and I'm really excited about its direct vape-bonging capabilities.

The HA has been around since 2005 (I hear) and had really never intrigued me before, but I started reading this thread after seeing a few mentions over on the Cloud thread about the HA's temperature stability and ability to be directly mated to a 14 or 18 downstem. I also think the HA may be slightly better for introducing others to vaporizing....slightly better than my DBV that is, since I won't have to worry about them spilling the herb or combusting by drawing too slow. And though I'm not a bag guy I like the idea of having the capability for those rare occasions. Just thought I'd bump the thread and say I'm looking forward to receiving a new vape this week!

I'm sure you'll be happy with yours, it seems the norm. I agree, it's a great 'first vape'. Like Vapor Genie IMO is for a lot less bucks (it's often hard to convince guys they should spend drug money on a machine....). Three other great features not mentioned are also useful IMO. Blowing bags is a great way to get non smokers involved. The lack of need to grind herb also makes for less for the newbie to be dealing with. Lastly it's an excellent way to use kief and bubble hash (if they are available, of course).

BTW, I find a loose half inch screen on top of the load keeps everything above cleaner.

OF

zmurder

I'm sure you'll be happy with yours, it seems the norm. I agree, it's a great 'first vape'. Like Vapor Genie IMO is for a lot less bucks (it's often hard to convince guys they should spend drug money on a machine....). Three other great features not mentioned are also useful IMO. Blowing bags is a great way to get non smokers involved. The lack of need to grind herb also makes for less for the newbie to be dealing with. Lastly it's an excellent way to use kief and bubble hash (if they are available, of course).

BTW, I find a loose half inch screen on top of the load keeps everything above cleaner.

OF

Awww groovy, I do have a couple grams of kief that need to be used pronto. How do you recommend consuming kief in the HA? Only in bag mode? Will extra screens below and above keep it in place in the crucible?

zmurder,

OF

Awww groovy, I do have a couple grams of kief that need to be used pronto. How do you recommend consuming kief in the HA? Only in bag mode? Will extra screens below and above keep it in place in the crucible?

I first did the 'bed of herb' trick. It works OK. Then someone suggested the pads used in the volcano for concentrates. Kind of a woven SS Brillo pad. I unravel it (it's a long woven tube) and cut maybe a 1/3 or so off and stuff it in the bottom. Man does it work great! Then again, what would you expect from the Germans? Kief and bubble ashes bead up on top. Oils and waxes get trapped in the top layers and vaped from there. I started out blowing bags, but direct draw is so neat I keep going back. I run about two and a half feet of silicone tube on mine.

And yes I put a half inch screen on top, that also helps. I load 50 mg or so at a time, YMMV of course, but that's a starting point?

Good times ahead for you......

OF

OF,

zmurder

I received my H2.2 from Planet Vape today and have already given it some use! I really like vape-bonging with this thing -- I was filling a pretty big tube over and over again with blue vapor at ~360 with .2 gr. Decent taste. Extremely efficient -- I've never seen ABV look like this. DBV screens (14.8 mm) fit perfectly in the crucible -- I put one extra on the bottom and then one on top of my load so that I can use ground herb.

So far I've only used it vape-bong style -- turned over and mated to a 14mm slide. It connects great, but you have to hold it. No complaints. And great service from Planet Vape.

OF

Good news, that was quick wasn't it? I like the HA, I think it does lots of things well. Sure Volcano blows a better bag, but ever try to invert one on a friends favorite bong? I really like mine on direct draw, but I trashed the tacky little hose and put a couple feet of good large bore silicone tube on it, much better. I'm always trying to tip mine over, but while at first a heavy base seemed like a good idea I decided I didn't want it any heavier than necessary.

Another thing I really like is how the whole load comes up to temperature so quickly and well. Evolution does this too I think. The end result is everything in the bowl gets vaped evenly. HA doesn't really need grinding at all. You can vape the tightest buds directly if you really want. I'm not sure there's another vape out there that will do that?

I think HA makes a great general recommendation for a table top vape that has lots of functions for new users to try out. I've 'ghost bought' several for friends, nobody has been anything but very pleased.

OF

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Another reason its a great first vape is the durability. I have dropped my HA from at least 4 feet onto slate floors and I cant even see a mark on the finish :) It will make an awesome backup vape for when I get my Cloud.

zmurder

Thanks for the tips as always OF. I hear you on the (no) grinding thing -- at first I tried whole buds and to my amazement they were incredibly well vaped afterward. But I already had some medium fine ground herb in my grinder (for the DBV), so tried the extra screens. Not sure which I'll go for long-term -- I'm so used to grinding for vaporization...

Edit: glad to hear about the durability as well t-dub. I'm sure it will be tested...

zmurder,

OF

Another reason its a great first vape is the durability. I have dropped my HA from at least 4 feet onto slate floors and I cant even see a mark on the finish :) It will make an awesome backup vape for when I get my Cloud.

Excellent point, I'd forgotten that. Glass filled nylon, very tough but light. My only real mechanical complaint is the cord is too good. Long heavy sucker, it can drag the unit around sometimes. I've set it down only to have it fall over because the cord had a twist.

But that's so minor really. As a vape it does a great job, and with the new colored lights it's even more fun to watch than before.

OF

OF,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

Another reason its a great first vape is the durability. I have dropped my HA from at least 4 feet onto slate floors and I cant even see a mark on the finish...

I'm aware there's been many similar testimonies to the effect that an HA can survive such incidents but lets remind ourselves that this particular device incorporates an A.C. transformer on the printed circuit board and it's not exactly lightweight... Athough the product appears to be well built i feel like i must advise the HA owners that a fall with just the wrong angle might cause damage due to this component's significant mass. Please take note that my comment applies to the v2.1 model only as i can't tell for sure if a lighter high-frequency switching-mode module hasn't replaced the heavy ferro-magnetic transformer in HerbalAire's new v2.2 release. Yet common sense suggests any user should find a suitable location where to install their favourite vaporizer so it can be made stable, especially when there are objects with large inertial mass inside.

:ninja:

OF

I'm aware there's been many similar testimonies to the effect that an HA can survive such incidents but lets remind ourselves that this particular device incorporates an A.C. transformer on the printed circuit board and it's not exactly lightweight... Athough the product appears to be well built i feel like i must advise the HA owners that a fall with just the wrong angle might cause damage due to this component's significant mass. Please take note that my comment applies to the v2.1 model only as i can't tell for sure if a lighter high-frequency switching-mode module hasn't replaced the heavy ferro-magnetic transformer in HerbalAire's new v2.2 release. Yet common sense suggests any user should find a suitable location where to install their favourite vaporizer so it can be made stable, especially when there are objects with large inertial mass inside.

:ninja:

I hope nobody's using it as a football, but you can't really plan to velcro the rascal to the deck. At the very least you'd feel silly inverting the table on top of the bong for hits.....

I've had a 2.1 and a 2.2 now. I never paid a lot of attention to the first, but it's a fifty watt device, no way is there a transformer that big in there.....at least not a mains frequency one. But anyone repeating Toms dryer tests of the PD or TVs playing fetch with the shop dog with their T1 prototype (I've seen the unit, it still works, and met the dog, he's friendly but truly serious) is likely to get what he's asking Murphy to give him all right......

OF

OF,
Reactions: darco

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

A photograph showing a v2.2 HerbalAire PC Board through its clear base may provide enough clues to determine if a ferro-magnetic transformer is present or not. Also, for someone who owns both versions it shouldn't be difficult to compare the eventual 60 Hz stray fields themselves using a magnetic pick-up device... Nonetheless, my point is this: in a v2.1 HA that transformer happens to be mechanically supported by the PC Board which itself is locked in place by a set of 4 pairs of plastic posts and screws. When a drop occurs the mechanical energy must go somewhere, which means the PC Board is required to take this punishment - and if the PC Board doesn't absorb it then the pastic posts will have to... In addition, i'd be quite curious to know what failure mode will take place if the v2.1 thermocouple signal is lost because of an "open" circuit associated to the corresponding copper trace, for example. What's the action of the thermal protector attached to the heat exchanger assembly and feeding power to the 50 Watts heater element exactly? Does it reset once it has tripped?...

Hi,

A photograph showing a v2.2 HerbalAire PC Board through its clear base may provide enough clues to determine if a ferro-magnetic transformer is present or not. Also, for someone who owns both versions it shouldn't be difficult to compare the eventual stray fields themselves using a magnetic pick-up device... Nonetheless, my point is this: in a v2.1 HA that transformer happens to be mechanically supported by the PC Board which itself is locked in place by a set of 4 pairs of plastic posts/metal screws. When a drop occurs the mechanical energy must go somewhere, which means the PC Board is required to take this punishment - and if the PC Board doesn't absorb it then the pastic posts will have to... In addition, i'd be quite curious to know what failure mode will take place if the v2.1 thermocouple signal is lost because of an "open" circuit associated to the corresponding copper trace, for example. What's the action of the thermal protector attached to the heat exchanger assembly that feeds power to the 50 Watts heater element exactly? Does it reset once it has tripped?...

Egzoset,

OF

The standard thermal switches used in such stuff (like in curling irons and hair dryers) is a self resetting deal with large offset. It needs to cool a fair bit but will reset itself. Thermal fuses, OTOH do not. They are typically small cylinders with metal bodies (like old time diodes) and are often included (say 25 degrees higher) as a fail safe.

Such a switch should never actuate in HA.

However, typical TC failures shut controllers down. You can easily confirm everything is fine with the knob and led. Why do you ask???

OFF

OF,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

Oh my... Look what this sluggish interface made me do!

Sorry for that.

Well, i wonder if there are any EpicVape owners with an HerbalAire as well who can comment on this:

draw-500x500.gif

I want to know how this one would fit...

Egzoset,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
ok, I have been testing my first mod and I can definitely say it is working very well. The glass goes all the way through a la "Samir". I would say taste has improved a full "letter grade" from what it used to be and all of the restricitve drag is gone. At first I thought I opened it up too much but after using a while, I really like it :tup: Next version will be shorter, like I planned in the first place. Links for materials at bottom.

glassmod.jpg

newsetupr.jpg

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23884
http://www.tracysworkshop.com/c-16805-glass-rods-tubing.aspx
http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/vbh20adgg19.html

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
Salutations,

Oh my... Look what this sluggish interface made me do!

Sorry for that.

Well, i wonder if there are any EpicVape owners with an HerbalAire as well who can comment on this:

draw-500x500.gif

I want to know how this one would fit...

i don't really know what size gong joint that is just by looking at your picture, but it is either 14mm or 18mm. i have measured the cavity on the ha at 15-16mm (dont have calipers). a 14mm joint rocks around inside the cavity just as much as the solo stem does. 18mm gong joint wont fit inside the cavity.

looks like we might need someone to blow us some custom gong ha stems! who knows a glassblower that needs some work?

ok, I have been testing my first mod and I can definitely say it is working very well. The glass goes all the way through a la "Samir". I would say taste has improved a full "letter grade" from what it used to be and all of the restricitve drag is gone. At first I thought I opened it up too much but after using a while, I really like it :tup: Next version will be shorter, like I planned in the first place. Links for materials at bottom.

glassmod.jpg

newsetupr.jpg

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23884
http://www.tracysworkshop.com/c-16805-glass-rods-tubing.aspx
http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/vbh20adgg19.html

hey it looks like your enjoying your ha even more now! i am a little surprised to hear you say that the taste has improved with your mod though. i don't understand how eliminating a 1.5" teflon mouthpiece and replacing it with a glass rod and a 10"+ whip can do anything except detract from the taste, especially once the whip gets dirty. i have a real aversion to whips as i find them totally unnecessary, stinky, and expensive.

i would use a glass adaptor such as this http://aqualabtechnologies.com/glas...-18-mm-male-to-18-mm-female-45-adapter-2.html and then put the ha directly into the adaptor. with this method the vapor is only exposed to a nonglass pathway for the length of the teflon mouthpiece (1-2"), whereas, with a whip the vapor is contaminated for however long the whip is.

if reclaiming vapor goodness is important to you, or you can;t find the right adaptor for whatever reason, then i would look into a cheap small ashcatcher for your tube. then you could direct draw the ha through the ashcatcher (without any water in it). the ashcatcher becomes your glass adaptor in this scenario.

i think whips are a thing of the past, if you look at the majority of the recently popular vapes, vxc, vriptech, underdog, hi, solo, sv, the gnome, all don't have whips, and all are compatible with glass.

please try your ha without the whip and i hope you;ll find it to be yet another letter grade better in taste than your whip setup.

notmyrealUSERname,

zmurder

hey it looks like your enjoying your ha even more now! i am a little surprised to hear you say that the taste has improved with your mod though. i don't understand how eliminating a 1.5" teflon mouthpiece and replacing it with a glass rod and a 10"+ whip can do anything except detract from the taste, especially once the whip gets dirty. i have a real aversion to whips as i find them totally unnecessary, stinky, and expensive.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on whips -- I'm a direct vape-bonger myself and really just loving this HA. But I do see some advantages to t-dub's setup -- mostly that you could use the HA in-place and wouldn't have to pick it up. I also think that eliminating the teflon from the vapor path would improve the taste EVEN WITH the addition of a short whip. And here's why: the teflon is really close to the heater, the whip isn't. In my experience the taste of the HA is just fine. It's just that once you've done a few crucibles the bottom of the teflon mouthpiece starts to have a bit of a baked-in smell. Not bad, but it certainly has an effect. Before getting the HA a few weeks ago, my daily driver was a Da Buddha, and I never noticed this baked in smell -- because the hose isn't exposed to nearly as much heat+vapor as the teflon mouthpiece.

Just my thoughts. Good to hear from another direct HA vape-bonger on here.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I am diggin' the hands free aspect of this a lot and reclaim is not important to me. Also, I was comparing the taste to either direct draw or the stock whip. This setup will do nicely until my Cloud pre-order comes up, which shouldn't be too long now . . . I am going to make another mod, but shorter, so it doesn't have as much leverage for pulling the main mouthpiece out.

t-dub,

GratefulVapor

Phish Head
I am diggin' the hands free aspect of this a lot and reclaim is not important to me. Also, I was comparing the taste to either direct draw or the stock whip. This setup will do nicely until my Cloud pre-order comes up, which shouldn't be too long now . . . I am going to make another mod, but shorter, so it doesn't have as much leverage for pulling the main mouthpiece out.

Sounds like a great idea my friend! My only gripe with my HA2.2 is that I end up being way too careless when mating to my 14mm 45degree adapater on my tube. The problem is that of the leverage; which you pointed out as being the flaw for your current mod. I end up knocking the mouthpiece OFF while taking a hit(assume I hold it at wrong angle, or something)..which dumps a scorching hot crucible & precious nugg on myself & carpet..not good. I have yet to mod mine(I have a solo stem I purchased, but not really sure how to use it? No airtight connection, combined w/ the ever 'escaping' vapor the HA tends to produce even with the stock mouthpiece, is the first problem. Next, I don't see how it can benefit me, unless I am using it direct-draw.)
Not sure how everyone uses the solo glass stem with GonG joints. I know it's done. Does anyone have a quick summary of tips/directions to utilizing this solo stem? How do you keep it from falling out/off, & mate it with your pipe(in particular)? I have no exp. with the solo nor know anyone that owns/owned one. Never seen it in use..except w/ one of the 'strait GonG stems' in a video.

:science: Viva la HA! I don't ever want to grind again; the HA is fantastic with a much quicker "load-time". :nod:

GratefulVapor,
Reactions: MG23

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I end up knocking the mouthpiece OFF while taking a hit(assume I hold it at wrong angle, or something)..which dumps a scorching hot crucible & precious nugg on myself & carpet..not good.
Been there done that . . . that is no bueno :disgust: and a big reason why I went hands free.
combined w/ the ever 'escaping' vapor the HA tends to produce even with the stock mouthpiece
Ahhh yes . . . I thought I had a closed system and had this licked, I was wrong. Followed the smell back to the air INTAKE :( yup it was backing up out of there . . .
How do you keep it from falling out/off, & mate it with your pipe(in particular)?
My next door neighbor, we will call him "The Tijuana Mechanic" or TJM for short, mounted my stock mouthpiece in a chuck in his lathe and we drilled it out to the same diameter as the outside of the Pyrex tubing. He then, carefully, using much force shoved the glass tubing all the way through the mouthpiece until it came out the other end with the screen right in front of it. We could have heated the PTFE up if necessary but it sealed air tight easily.

You may have to ask Egzoset about the Solo stems, I think he was making that work pretty well.

Top Bottom