Discontinued herbalAire

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
So I got my herbalaire 2.2 about a week ago and I LOVE it, here's my review:

I should start off by saying ive been vaping for a while now and this is my first set top vape I have owned, I only previously owned a MFLB. Although i have only owned a MFLB, I have hit the SSV, DBV, vapolution, VG :(, easy vape and a volcano, so i know what to expect from a good vape. My unit came and i was pleased to see i got automatically upgraded to the 2.2 which is nice, Oh and btw the differences of the 2.1 and 2.2 are an auto shutoff feature after 30 minutes and an updated Tri-color LED light on the bottom of the unit, that works like this: blue when heating, green when ready, red when too hot, and as it cycles through the colors it will slowly shift from blue to green, green to red and when changing colors will create other colors such as orange, turquoise ect. which is a cool effect because it can show you what the current temp is and its really cool to look at when vaked :D.

So anyways after i opened it up and started my first session i was amazed, for only $180 this thing is all i could have ever hoped for and more, right off the bat you can tell its a really good crafted unit. It's extremely well built and you can tell that its very durable when just holding it. It is a little on the light side as far as it's weight, which can be a problem because it will tip over pretty easy. It's really user friendly - just turn the unit to desired temp, wait for it to heat up, while your waiting set up either the bag system, whip system or direct inhale, then drop in the crucible with your weed and your ready to go. Before I begin to explain the different systems I want to say that you WILL NEED extra screens, the stock screens are not fine enough and will cause particles to get into the bags/whip with ground or unground materials. I put one extra screen on the bottom of the crucible and one on top of a load, sandwiching the bud in-between screens.

Bag system:
The bag system works great and tastes good (not as good tasting as whip/direct inhale) but it is definitely not as good as a volcano for filling bags and does have flaws (no valve system on the bags -not a big deal really, I dont like the plastic straw that you have to use and everything seems to get too hot after a while-bag mouthpiece, straw, and teflon piece). Also when using the bag system i can notice leaking vapor from the top of the straw when no bag is connected, also i dont like that the crucible with your weed just stays in the hot chamber in between hits/bags, but this is not a problem really when using the whip. The pump that came with my 2.2 works fine and i have no problems with it, it takes like 1 minute to fill regular sized oven bags and like 3 minutes for the XL turkey bags its also not that noisy but does have a hum to it. The bags that the H2 comes with (as you probably already know) are complete SHIT so expect to replace them, hopefully the second you get it, luckily you can go down to the store and buy reynolds oven bags which work amazingly for $5 a pack that come in different sizes.

Whip system:
The whip system out of the box isn't great but it's not like your going to have to replace it like you will with the bags. I can taste some plastic or something while using it but its very minimal. I like it and it works good with the whip but not as good as the SSV or DBV as far as clouds go, but it seems to get me just as "medicated" as i would out of the DBV/SSV, and the air restriction doesnt really bother me. I will be replacing the stock whip, its too narrow for me, has a taste to it and i want a glass mouthpiece, but i can make do with the stock whip system for now.

Direct Inhale:
Last but not least is direct inhale, I use this when i want to get the most flavor out the bud, other than that i dont see why anyone would use it. But when using this system, I want to repeat, that you will get AMAZING flavor! WOW I have never hit a vape that has as much flavor as the HA in direct inhale and whenever i get a new strain that i havent tried I just have to load a bowl and use this system atleast once just to experience the flavor.

The three different systems are a wonderful aspect of the HA and make this the best vape I've ever tried (yes i like it more than a volcano). When choosing what system to use, for me it comes down to how much time i have and how many people are in the session, Whip/direct inhale are great for when you don't have as much time for bags, bags are great for groups of 3+, don't get me wrong bags are great for small groups too, but i find myself using the whip more when I'm by myself or with a friend or two. I just feel like there is more flavor and it is a little bit more efficient when using the whip.

I should also mention that the HA is great for vapebonging, like many on this thread have found, the stock mouthpieces fit into a 14.4mm downstem/female which was great because i happened to have a 14mm gong bong. I havent cleaned the bong from smoking yet so i dont use it much at this point because of the taste lingering in my piece, but i have tried it a couple times with ground weed and it worked just as good or maybe even better than the SSV attached to a bong which is the only other vapebong setup ive used. I was able to get milky hits with a temperature of 375 F, so i plan on using the HA with a bong a lot in the future as soon as i stop being lazy and clean my bong :o .

Another thing i absolutely love about the HA is its quick heat up time and efficiency. I can honestly say this is the most efficient vape i have ever used and maybe only a log vape could compare in the efficiency department. The ABV that comes out of the HA will be evenly brown 100% of the time, no matter what temp you have it on or if the bud is ground or unground. I mean, damn, I've never seen ABV so evenly cooked and brown, they don't joke around when it comes to the efficiency of this vape, those 18 tiny jets are what makes the HA IMO. There's also little to no risk of combusting. Another thing i like is how small the unit is which makes it good for portability. The HA also works great with power adapters for on the go car vaping just expect slightly longer heating times. I brought the HA up to the mountain in my car and had a wonderful day of vaked skiing. The things I don't like about the HA? IMO it gets too hot pretty much all the pieces, the top of the unit, the crucible, and whatever system your using it seems that anything close to the vape gets hot (when i say anything close i mean lower part of the whip, tubes leading up to the bags, mouthpiece on the bag, and the teflon main mouthpiece). Also I plan on replacing that plastic tube with a glass one, It scares me because it gets so hot it burns to touch and i know its probably safe but i just cant help but thinking that plastic that hot can't be good. Plan on burning yourself at least once(if your lucky, i burned myself atleast 5 times so far :( lol) when getting the crucible out after a bowl. But other than that, i really can't think of anything else i don't like about it, and the best part is most of the problems i have with the unit can be fixed. So if your willing to do some small fixes and buy the nessecary parts (all of which are inexpensive) the HA can be greatly improved and transform from a good vape to a really good vape. Overall I'm really happy i went with the HA over the EQ (the main deciding factor was the durability). I am looking forward to enjoying years of use from the HA and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a multi-functioning vape because no matter how you use it it's going to get the job done :D !!

Happy Vaporizing Everyone!!!

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Really nice review, very informative. I like the addition of the colour changing LED seems like a really good simple upgrade. You've actually really made me want to try one :)

You might want to edit it and make some paragraphs to make it easier to read. And clean that bong!!!

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: MG23

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Really nice review, very informative. I like the addition of the colour changing LED seems like a really good simple upgrade. You've actually really made me want to try one :)

You might want to edit it and make some paragraphs to make it easier to read. And clean that bong!!!

Thanks for the feedback :)! You really should try an HA it is a great experience!

I took your advise and edited it so should be easier now haha

Kevdog420,

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Ace! That's much better :) But did you take my advice and clean that bong :lol:
Haha not yet! still being pretty baked and lazy. but the day will come soon enough lol

Kevdog420,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I really can't find a single flaw with the HA2.2

I'm loving the mood lighting as well, though I hesitate to call it mood lighting because really it is a temperature gauge. The closer to temp it gets the greener the mood lighting gets, and it's quite sensitive. I can watch the light slowly fade from light green to an almost blue color as I hit it on my 90 degree bong, thought the LED never goes red so I know it's close within temp.

I've also noticed that the new teflon mouthpiece will fit in both 14mm and 18mm GonG joints.

I'm also becoming rather inspired to create my own valve mouthpiece that I can use on the bags. I really hate loosing any vapor.

CentiZen,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Kevdog, thanks for the review.

Just a couple of comments, though:

The tubes that go into the mouthpiece are PTFE teflon, not plastic, so no temperature worries there.

I've ran an HA for almost four years and have never burned my hand. To remove the crucible while hot, just invert the unit and tap the bottom. It cools quite quickly after that. If you keep the inner core and crucible clean, you shouldn't have any problems.

I too, replaced the stock whip with soft silicone rubber tubing, which handles the heat much better, has a better bend radius, and mine can be cleaned with an alcohol wash to reclaim any resin. But I've gotten rid of all the tubing long ago and only go direct to glass these days. The PTFE mouthpiece fits great in either 14.4 or 18.8 right out of the box, and vapebonging with the HA is where it really shines, imo.

nicelytoasted,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I've started just dumping the crucible (double screened) straight into my lab refrigerator. Luckily its within cord distance. This helps contain smell and cools the biomass in the crucible a little more quickly.

t-dub,
So the Solo stems works nicely with the HA, good tip guys. I've also noticed that an Extreme Q bag mouthpiece fits easily onto the stock, long PTFE mouthpiece extension. I prefer this setup over the HA bag/MP system.

I took the five minutes necessary to clean all the teflon parts and am really appreciating the flavor output I'm getting now.

The GonG Gnome mouthpiece can be used as an HA mouthpiece, or as a airtight, glass on glass connection for the HA. The Long PTFE extension slides right in the non-gong end.

charliedontsurf,
Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for their well thought out reviews and performance tips for the
HerbalAire! It made my decision much easier to make. Spent the last couple of weeks debating between
the HerbalAire and the Extreme Q. After reading all of the reviews I decided to place my order (today)
for the HerbalAire 2.2 (and a Thermovape Revolution, but that's another thread).

Thanks again everyone, this site is an awesome resource!!

:peace:

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
Old Hippie said:
Just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone for their well thought out reviews and performance tips for the
HerbalAire! It made my decision much easier to make. Spent the last couple of weeks debating between
the HerbalAire and the Extreme Q. After reading all of the reviews I decided to place my order (today)
for the HerbalAire 2.2 (and a Thermovape Revolution, but that's another thread).

Thanks again everyone, this site is an awesome resource!!

Have fun with your HA when you get it! Trust me you wont regret it :D

Kevdog420,

samirfuzzywuzzy

OK so I have had a chance to thoroughly test my modified pieces against my stock parts and I have to say they work great and so much easier to clean. The taste went from good to amazing...

Kevdog420

OMMP Patient
charliedontsurf said:
So the Solo stems works nicely with the HA, good tip guys. I've also noticed that an Extreme Q bag mouthpiece fits easily onto the stock, long PTFE mouthpiece extension. I prefer this setup over the HA bag/MP system.

I took the five minutes necessary to clean all the teflon parts and am really appreciating the flavor output I'm getting now.

The GonG Gnome mouthpiece can be used as an HA mouthpiece, or as a airtight, glass on glass connection for the HA. The Long PTFE extension slides right in the non-gong end.

so will the solo stem perfectly fit onto where the teflon mouthpiece goes? Or do you need an o ring or a gromet to make it airtight? im really thinking about getting a solo stem because i like the fact it would be pretty much all glass. You still use it with a crucible right? and how is it for connecting a whip?

Kevdog420,
It doesn't really need to be airtight, because if you consider the Solo's operation and how the stem fits, it's not airtight either. It just sit in the bottom of the herb chamber loosely. As long as the bottom of the stem is in contact with the bottom thus providing suction when you inhale, you will get vapor.

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

Kevdog420 said:
...do you need an o ring or a gromet to make it airtight? ... You still use it with a crucible right?

If i were asked i'd answer i don't have an O-Ring and yet this still gets me done quite properly and the capacity of the crucible isn't reduced much by my glass add-on pipe:

2kqws2.jpg

Of course i'd like to have an O-ring though, but it needs to withstand elevated temperatures and i doubt i can find that in my local stores.

Kevdog420 said:
...and how is it for connecting a whip?

I thought i had shared this here before but lets take a look at it again anyway:

25s1pxv.jpg

Anything which will attach to the HA white teflon extension-straw will work here. I could as well have used the Arizer Solo glass stem in this setup:

5ytbpw.jpg

Simply try to imagine the whip from above connected to the glass stem below:

2wnsev5.jpg

Provided it's configured in the following manner, that is...

oh66s.jpg

(Pay close attention to the glass PVC junction...)

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Thank you BioJuggerNaut, this is only a gathering of recycled pictures i posted previously though, a while ago...

Egzoset,
So the crucible on the stem does what though? More herb with the same user ease as the solo stem? - Because many times I over pack the crucible and the unit does not produce vapor with the plastic top.

biojuggernaut,

Egzoset

Banned
I've found this configuration convenient in terms of loading/unloading and i've been looking for something like this for quite some time anyway, to get a replacement for the main HA while teflon mouthpiece for starters.

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Well...

I evaluate that the vaporization cavity formed by the combination of an HerbalAire crucible and an Arizer Solo glass stem results in a volume capacity which is slightly more than twice that of an Arizer Solo glass stem bowl alone.

This is true if the Arizer Solo glass stem only inserts half-way inside the HerbalAire crucible: my 2 stems appear to have some change of allignment/diameter right where the stem's 2 glass twin sections meet (at the glass filter level where the holes are). In other words, those glass stems of mine stop inserting right when the edge of the opened end of my HA crucible meets the pierced glass wall at the bottom of the Arizer Solo glass stem bowl, euh... Other versions of that stem may differ, i don't know.

Am i making any sense with my description?

Egzoset,

onigiri1692

Hey everyone, with inspiration from samir, I finally got around to putting together a nice whip for my 4 year old Herbalaire and wanted to share it with the forums. I also have a upgraded balloon setup that I put together with Arizer Solo mouthpieces as well which I will post later.

Here is what I used and how I put it together:

Required Items (Total Cost: $18.59)

Now here are some pictures, as well as some brief descriptions and commentary.
First, behold the completed product on top of the Herbalaire.
8SFGs.jpg

A closer look at the whip. I chose to use 3/16"ID because I believe the smaller diameter goes better with the design of the Herbalaire, where airflow is intentionally restricted to ensure a better vape. You still get better airflow with this size tubing and at the same time ensure proper operation. My Herbalaire predates their whip so I can't say how it compares but, I can say what I have put together blows anything else away that I had inserted into the unmodified teflon mouthpiece, whether it be tubing or a straw.
axbui.jpg

Even though drilling is required this whip is incredibly easy to put together. You can see from the picture of the drilled teflon mouthpiece below that I tried to make a progressively smaller hole as you go down the teflon mouthpiece. This was done to ensure a proper seal with the Arizer whip mouthpiece.

I should also note that the glass mouthpiece barely fits into the teflon one, that is until the teflon warms up on top of the Herbalaire and expands, thereby making the hole just big enough for the mouthpiece (and the Arizer balloon mouthpiece I might add) to slide in and out, all while retaining a seal.

Basically to do this I started with a smaller drill bit and worked my way up to larger ones.
hvHO8.jpg

Also I want to show that it is possible to build a whip like this without drilling as well. In the picture below there are two examples of how you can do this. You can use the teflon straw that came with the Herbalaire as shown, but I personally prefer using a glass Magic Flight Launch Box mouthpiece.

Both the inside and outside diameters of the teflon and glass straws are virtually the same so airflow will remain the same, I just like the idea of using glass, dunno if it actually makes a difference. If you wanted to save some money and still have an upgrade from the stock whip you could just buy the silicone tubing and stick it on top of the teflon straw, then use a teflon balloon mouthpiece that came with the HA as a mouthpiece on the other end of the tube.
XxKpt.jpg

Lemme know if you guys have any questions, and thanks again to samir for his ideas. Cheers!

Top Bottom