Herb Grinders

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
jofroxp said:
i saw that thread...was wondering if you could get into specifics of that discount, was it including free shipping etc. thanks
Sorry, I don't remember exactly what the discount was. But it was a good one. Go for it! (I did shop around and this was the best deal I could find.)

MoeOnTheMoon,

jofroxp

cool beans. :)

EDIT: Do you remember when and where you had to punch in the discount code? alas I will order mine monday, since I am moving. I previously ordered for a friend, but the timing was way off even with express delivery due to my last minute ordering..so I had to give away my coveted mix n ball to him instead...But I still want to order a SC which I will on monday to replace it haha =]

jofroxp,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
No, sorry, I don't remember about putting in the code, either. But usually they go in after you get to the order page or when I entered my credit card info. I seem to recall that being the case.

MoeOnTheMoon,

max

Out to lunch
jofroxp said:
Also for any space case owners, does it really matter, or last that much noticeably longer if you get a titanium versus the reg. aerospace aluminum space case uses?
It's pretty much spelled out on the site- "The original polished version should last a lifetime though. If you're particularly hard on things or plan to live more than one lifetime go with the titanium. Otherwise it's a matter of aesthetic preference."

Personally, I think the polished aluminum version will stay looking nice longer. The main attraction for the anodized version, as far as being useful, is that it won't require cleaning quite as often- the "non-stick properties".

max,

jofroxp

I'm going to get a titanium SC from gratefulbuys.com....I'm very excited, and have a lot of sticky "testing subjects" to use it on.

jofroxp,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
I bought the 2 piece Space Case Titanium and it's great. I like the look and feel of it and it does a pretty good job. It grinds very similar to what my coffee grinder does to my herb. (I'm sure if the herb was dry the coffee grinder would pulverize it. But when it's fresh it just grinds it about like a hand held grinder.

MoeOnTheMoon,

freeman dyson

max said:
freeman dyson said:
So can any grinder expert here suggest a grinder that is bigger and better than the 2.0 Premium Aerospace Aluminum Grinder that came with my Buddha?

Like maybe one of these?

http://weedgrinders420.com/
The Mendo Mulcher is a really nice brand, but has two aspects I don't like- a high price and a lot of teeth. Lots of teeth makes for difficulty in loading herb. You have to break it up in really small pieces, or crush before you can grind, and that usually ends up being messy. I've found that designs with fewer teeth, like MixnBall, grind just as well, and are much easier to load. A similar design that I like is the all CNC Chromium Crusher. Unlike the original, which is the many toothed, steel/nickel (heavy) model, the CNC version is aluminum. Best deal is on eBay from seller save$4you (search CNC Chromium Crusher). You can get a 2.5" 4 pc. for $23 delivered, with a one yr. warranty. Vaporizerdealer.com also has them for $30 w/3 yrs. warranty, or a lifetime guarantee for $5 more. Personally, I would go with the eBay buy and wouldn't worry about the extra warranty.

jofroxp said:
Yea.......I actually got an email finally, that the reason the shipping of my mix n ball is delayed..... is because its being shipped from china.... "sigh" Oh well I still hear good things about this piece, hope its worth the wait as always..
I think it's worth the wait, but it may well be a lot longer wait than you'd think. I've had two Classic Screen grinders on order since 10/28. I'm surprised he's still making them available for order. He had none in stock when I ordered (even though it said 'in stock'), and has had none available since then. I've been in contact with the owner, but he won't say anything specific, other than "some changes going on, cant say much now". That quote was from back on 12/13. He has almost nothing in stock and has taken the Double Screen and pre order for the new Classic Screen off the site entirely. He's told me that he doesn't have the time to spend on MixnBall that he used to, and that's obvious, from the poor customer service that he also admits to. I'm kind of hoping that the changes he's referring to means either a partner or new owner. The products are excellent, but availability and service is poor.

Vaporstore sells most MixnBall models, and they've had no stock in anything but the MegaLeaf since well before I placed my order back in Oct. Something is really screwy with this company (MB) right now and I wouldn't advise anyone to place an order with them (Classic 2 and 4 pc. are the only ones listed as 'in stock') until this is cleared up. Your money is likely to tied up for a while. :/
thanks. what I want is something bigger than my 2.0. do smaller holes matter? i would like smaller holes so i dont have to put just buds in, but sticky little pieces that fall of buds that fall through the holes on regular grinders. or would smaller holes get clogged and not be worth bothering with?

and you're talking about this one right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-4-PCS-CNC-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558169b7a

freeman dyson,

max

Out to lunch
thanks. what I want is something bigger than my 2.0. do smaller holes matter? i would like smaller holes so i dont have to put just buds in, but sticky little pieces that fall of buds that fall through the holes on regular grinders. or would smaller holes get clogged and not be worth bothering with?

and you're talking about this one right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-4-PCS-CNC-C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2558169b7a
That's the one. 2.5" looks to be the biggest size they offer on the CNC model. vaporizerdealer.com has 3 and 4" sizes in the original Crusher design. The holes on the CNC model are even bigger than the original. You won't find small holes (3-4mm) on a big grinder. The only 2.5" that I know of where you can get holes as small as 4mm is here- http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STYLE-2-5-S...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef78c49a. The 'about me' link, in his seller info block contains this info-

"I am now in the position to offer my most popular grinder, the 2.5" NEW STYLE spaceage aluminum pollen grinder with THREE different hole configurations! 4mm. , 5mm. and 6mm. Please see the picture above for a comparitive picture of the three 2.5" and my 2" hole configurations.

For those of you reading this, when you pay for your 2.5" NEW STYLE spaceage aluminum pollen grinder, you may specify the hole configuration that fits YOUR individual needs."

So you have to specify either 4mm or 6mm when you buy, otherwise you get the standard 5mm. Any other grinders offering 3mm holes are smaller than 2". This seller has a couple of those, in his standard under 2" models. All of his 'CNC' models (pricy) have 5mm holes.

I've found that it's easiest, for a really fine grind WITH kief sifting, to put the herb through a 4 pc. first, then grind the herb again with a two pc. grinder. I only do this for the PD. I find that one grind with any 4 pc. is fine for a full size bowl/vape.

max,

Beezleb

I second that grinder. Thats exactly what I got, with help from here, actually I think someone pointed me to an earlier post from you on this grinder, but I also got his press too. I want for no other hehe.

I pressed a small chunk from the first screen and I really like it. For that price, amazing are my thoughts.

Beezleb,

freeman dyson

thanks for all the help max. now i am undecided. will the smaller holes make it grind not as smoothly? should I just stick with the original link you suggested? the first link is a better grinder right?

freeman dyson,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Beezleb said:
I second that grinder. Thats exactly what I got, with help from here, actually I think someone pointed me to an earlier post from you on this grinder, but I also got his press too. I want for no other hehe.

I pressed a small chunk from the first screen and I really like it. For that price, amazing are my thoughts.
Can you clarify exactly which grinder you like, Beezleb? I'm not sure which post you are referring to, as he was talking about several in the last post before yours.

I love my 2 piece Space Case but eventually want a 4 piece, too.

MoeOnTheMoon,

max

Out to lunch
freeman dyson said:
thanks for all the help max. now i am undecided. will the smaller holes make it grind not as smoothly? should I just stick with the original link you suggested? the first link is a better grinder right?
I have a small grinder (1.75") with 3mm holes (Kelly's Great Products on eBay). I don't think the 2mm difference between that and the typical 5mm makes much of a difference. Even the 3mm holes give me a consistency that's a little coarser than I like for the PD, and for a full sized whip bowl 5mm holes provide an acceptable grind.

KGP on eBay has some good grinders, and I have both a standard priced (partially CNC'd) model and an all CNC model that he shipped in place of an $18 grinder that turned out to be the wrong size. So he sent his $40, 63mm all CNC model at an $18 price due to the screwup. It would be $44.50 with shipping, so that's over $20 more than the 2.5" CNC Chromium Crusher. Both are the same quality, as far as I can tell, so the CC is a much better deal IMO. The CC has large holes, but I've found that it doesn't make much difference, and you can always turn the grinder upside down while grinding to get a finer grind.

The 63mm Aerospace grinder from vapeworld is also a great deal- $18.50 w/FC discount-unbeatable price for all CNC. You save a few $ over the CC. Comparable quality except the Aerospace threads are kind of rough. Overall, I prefer the same size CNC Crusher for a few dollars more, if you can get it on eBay. I wouldn't pay $30 from vaporizerdealer.com though, personally.

max,

jofroxp

Can anyone contact the Mix N ball owner...? I have a feeling I won't be seeing this thing till the next new years....dang..:/

jofroxp,

Randomtask

wow
after spending several hours going through this entire thread and the countless repeated questions

I am going with the 2pc medium aluminum spacecase as my first grinder (I'm OCD about annoying noises so I wanted smooth and quiet grinding)
If I truly need kief collection I'll order a MnB 4 pc but until then this will set me straight.

First post

Randomtask,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Wow you made it through the entire thread? :clap:

I haven't used the 2pc but this 4pc titanium is by far the smoothest grinder I've ever used. Does the 2pc have the teflon gasket? Hard to tell from the pictures. Paging gratefulbuys...

vtac,

MoeOnTheMoon

Company Rep
Yes, the 2 piece has the gasket and it's very smooth. I love mine.
I had a generic grinder before which was a piece of s--t. The space case is great.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Ash

vaporist
jofroxp said:
Can anyone contact the Mix N ball owner...? I have a feeling I won't be seeing this thing till the next new years....dang..:/
After waiting ages for some kind of response to phone and email messages, I gave up and called my credit card company. They took care of it. Now I have a small 2pc space case and love it. The 2pc works very well for the PD because I can grind up my herb very small without having to turn it upside down, or worry about bud prematurely falling through the holes.

Ash,

jofroxp

Still waiting on that space case...Can't wait till it gets here...:|

to give you an update, its been a month and no word after a couple of emails....service=

^mixNball
By the way, any one able to get through to the mixnball maker, feel free to email me.

jofroxp,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
I can't decide between a mendo and a mix n ball.

I wanted to grab a discounted 3 screen from dieselvapors, but the service of Mix N ball has me questioning the warranty.

MendoMulcher's manufacturer however seems like a standup guy.

Choices, choices.

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
SmokeTheState said:
I can't decide between a mendo and a mix n ball.

I wanted to grab a discounted 3 screen from dieselvapors, but the service of Mix N ball has me questioning the warranty.

MendoMulcher's manufacturer however seems like a standup guy.

Choices, choices.
Both are excellent. Very different in the design of the teeth. The Mendo is loaded with teeth. The tooth shape isn't as good, cutting wise, as the Space Case (also with many teeth), which has the 4 edged diamond shape. The Mendo, unless the design has been changed since I bought mine, can't cut on the sides of the tooth since it's smooth. The MnB tooth not only has 4 edges like the SC, but two sides are convex and two are concave, so more herb is forced onto sharp edges. The MnB design also has fewer teeth. It doesn't seem to take longer to grind or make for a coarser consistency, and it makes for much easier loading, with more space between the teeth. I don't know about the new anodized option from Mendo, but the MnB coating is pretty much scratch proof.

As for worrying about warranty with the MixnBall, I wouldn't - any premium brand for that matter. You're not going to break any teeth with a CNC grinder, and there's really nothing else to go wrong that would be covered by a warranty. The co. could go out of business tomorrow and I'd buy one the next day if it was a good deal.

Right now I wouldn't order a grinder from the mixnball site, even if it shows stock and lets you order. Something is going on with this company. The owner won't say anything except that a change is coming. When or what is unknown at this point. But I wouldn't buy one unless you can confirm stock at a reseller, and there aren't many. Vaporstore has the 2 pc. MegaLeaf and Double Screen in stock. The MegaLeaf is nice but pricey at $40. The Double is $55, which is about final price with discount and shipping. This is the first time they've had this model in stock in months. Once again, the Double Screen has the easy off kief section-convenient but far less secure than screw on, so proper holding is important.

max,

Konrad_Zuse

Is it actually bad to not do it? I accidentally forgot and realized later... Well I'm still alive so I think I'm okay, haha :).

Konrad_Zuse,

SmokeTheState

Smokey The State Bear
Max, excellent write up.

Had you posted that a few days earlier, I probably would have went MnB. I went ahead and grabbed a Mendo 2.25" pollen grinder.

I should have held out for vaporstore, I wasn't sure when they would get some in stock.

Also regretting that my grinder has no anodized coating like the MnB.

Oh well, I'm gonna give the MendoMulcher a few dry runs when it gets here. If I see any flaking, probably going to return it and grab a MnB double screen.

Is the easy off catch that loose or easy to accidentally undo?

I am totally paranoid about any kind of flaking, and demand 100% perfection.

SmokeTheState,

max

Out to lunch
I went ahead and grabbed a Mendo 2.25" pollen grinder
The Mendo will serve you well. The only other thing I didn't like (which I've heard they've changed since) was that small ground particles could hide on the screen under the gasket.

Also regretting that my grinder has no anodized coating like the MnB.
The MnB coating is tops, but the real advantage, other than being minor scratch proof, is that less herb sticks to it and it requires less frequent cleaning.

If I see any flaking, probably going to return it and grab a MnB double screen.
If you give a new grinder a good cleaning (especially watch the magnet area, where small slivers can adhere), I don't think you'll see any metal flaking off. I've heard these flaking reports through the years, even with some brand names, as well as broken teeth, but I've never seen it myself, and I've bought quite a few different ones, including a few cheap generics off eBay. With an all CNC model, I don't see how you can break teeth, and I've never seen metal flakes from grinding buds, even with an $8 grinder. I suppose big stems could be a problem, but why would anyone load lumber in a grinder? Hell, a model like the Mendo with lots of teeth won't give you room to load big pieces anyway.

Is the easy off catch that loose or easy to accidentally undo?
It uses two small magnets in the rim (grinder section too), so it can come off easily if not handled properly. A lot of people hated it, but IMO you'd have to be very forgetful or really uncoordinated to have a problem with it. You can either grind with the unit flat on a table, or just hold the grinder in your hand so the bottom section is secure. It's never been an issue for me, and I like the easy off bottom. If you want, you can leave the bottom off and just grind over a piece of paper or something. I always transfer my kief to an airtight container after grinding anyway. If you try to store it in the bottom, a little humidity will come along eventually and some kief will end up stuck to the metal.

max,
Top Bottom