Herb Grinders

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
When is some company going to come out with a grinder specifically for vaporizers and not for rolling the herbs (maybe small slits for the herbs to fall through instead of larger holes for a finer grind, etc).

If anyone knows of any (not already mentioned in this thread) that are particularly special in this respect, please do share...:cool:

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
Your results are going to vary with the herb you're grinding too. What I've got now isn't fresh, and it hasn't been stored air tight, so it's very dry. Makes for a finer grind in any grinder.

max,

lwien

max said:
Your results are going to vary with the herb you're grinding too. What I've got now isn't fresh, and it hasn't been stored air tight, so it's very dry. Makes for a finer grind in any grinder.
I took my fresh bud out of an airtight mason jar and let it sit out in the open air for 48 hours. Should I have left it out longer? Can it get much dryer after 48 hours?

lwien,

TeddyJackEddy

I have the 3" chromium crusher that stonemonkey mentioned. It does a great job of grinding. I own the DBV and it works well for that vape. My PD is on order, so will be interested to see how the grinder does for a different style vape. Bought my 3" chromium crusher on ebay, but think I paid about $25.

TeddyJackEddy,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
TeddyJackEddy - i wanted to get that grinder as well because I was told that the the screens are right directly below the holes and only allows pollen to fall thru. Is this correct? The reason I am asking is someone else called them and got a conflicting story about how that 3 piece grinder actually worked (that person told me that the chamber below collects shredded herbs, not pollen). Just curious how long you've had the piece and if you've noticed any metal flaking off? How tight does the magnet hold the lid shut? Thanks for answering the questions in advanced!

stonemonkey55,

max

Out to lunch
lwien said:
Can it get much dryer after 48 hours?
Depends on the herb and other factors. Sounds like you've got good stuff-that takes longer to dry out. The humidity level in the room makes a difference too. Putting it on a surface that gets some heat helps (top of the fridge, TV, etc.). You can also grind some, then leave it out to dry, and then re-grind. Ground bud will dry faster than chunks. Do some experimenting and see what works for ya.

A good two piece can provide a finer grind than any 4 pc. I've used. No holes for the herb to drop through, so it keeps getting ground. If you load a small amount though, there's some room for the herb to avoid the teeth. Even with a two piece, dumping it out and reloading for another run through may help.

Progress said:
If anyone knows of any (not already mentioned in this thread) that are particularly special in this respect, please do share
The only one I've found that has 3mm holes is the 1.75" generic sold by Kelly's Great Products on eBay. I think I've already mentioned it. I'll often use this one for a 2nd grind or a 1st if I'm only processing a small amount. Most grinders have the 5mm holes, and especially when there's a lot of 'em, like with the SC, Mendo, and original Chromium Crusher, the herb can't stay in the grinder section any time at all before it drops through.

max,

TeddyJackEddy

Yes, Iwien that is me.

I purchased 2 chromium crushers a 2.5" and a 3". Gave the 2.5" grinder away. Guess I've had the 3" grinder now for about 6 weeks (?) or so. It does a great job of grinding, no doubt about it. The one issue I had was a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out the bottom compartment where the kief collects. I happened to be upstairs, by a window, when doing this and the sun light was shining brightly thru the window. Noticed something "shiny" in the kief, looked with a magnifying glass and found small pieces of metal!! Using a magnet, I collected about 6 small pieces of metal, which were from the screen, not the grinder itself. Had cleaned the grinder really well before using, so very surprised to find pieces of metal. Wasn't going to use it again, but decided to clean it again and use a strong magnet to go over the screen. No sign of any metal pieces since then, so I've been using it a lot. I do own a MNB grinder also.

One thing to point out about some of the 4 or 5 piece grinders (at least CC and MNB), you can assemble them so that they work more or less like a standard 2 piece grinder. With my 3" CC and the MNB, I can simple remove the section that houses the screen and screw the remaining pieces together. Looks just like the 3" CC that stonemonkey listed earlier. There is the (1) top piece with the teeth, (2) the second piece with teeth and the holes and (3) the collection piece at the bottom (hope that makes sense). When I do this, I remove the layer with the screen, reassemble, add the herb and grind. With no screen, obviously you can't collect kief. But if I turn the grinder upside down, I can grind away and nothing falls thru the holes. After grinding for a while, simply turn the grinder back over, couple of turns and it all falls thru the holes into the collection area. (hope you can visualize that)

What I like about this option is I can collect kief if I like or remove the one section with the screen and use it more as a standard 2 piece grinder. So if you don't want to buy different grinders for different applications, think this is a possible alternative. Sure, may not be the best alternative but one to consider.

Forgot the question about the magnet in the top of the grinder. The CC has a very strong magnet. Can easily pick up the entire grinder by holding only the top. Compared the the CC, the MNB grinder has much weaker magnets. I actually like the feel of the MNB grinder over the CC, but the 5 piece MNB is not very well designed IMO. The screens are not permanent like the CC, so you have to deal with screens that move some and that creates problems for me. I can, and do, remove the screens on the MNB grinder, reassemble the grinder and use it like a standard 2 piece as well. Why? Smaller holes than on the 3" CC, so I can get a finer grind.

Yes, with the 4 piece CC, the screen is located directly below the section with the holes. Grind away and everything falls thru the holes and "sits" on top of the next layer that is the screen. Below the screen is the kief collector. Hope I answered all the questions.

TeddyJackEddy,

lwien

Great suggestion on changing a 4pc to a 3pc. Just tried to do that with the SC. Couldn't. The parts are threaded differently. Guess I'll stick to my grinder>>shot glass/scissors>>>PD routine. That way, I can get a finer grind and still collect some kief. Not really a big deal, just wish the SC would grind a bit finer, especially after finding out how much of a HUGE difference there can be in the richness of the vapor depending on the grind.

lwien,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Spiral hooked me up with this idea for my space case, after the initial grind take the keif plate off and set that down, now turn your grinder upside down and shake lightly until all the herb falls back into the grinding area ( teeth obviously ) then spin as much as you want to grind as fine as you please.

Flip it back over and put back on your keif plate give it a few more twists and a few taps.. voila.. SUPER finely grounded AND TONS!!!! of keif!

Survivalism,

lwien

Survivalism said:
Spiral hooked me up with this idea for my space case, after the initial grind take the keif plate off and set that down, now turn your grinder upside down and shake lightly until all the herb falls back into the grinding area ( teeth obviously ) then spin as much as you want to grind as fine as you please.

Flip it back over and put back on your keif plate give it a few more twists and a few taps.. voila.. SUPER finely grounded AND TONS!!!! of keif!
Great. Thanks.

lwien,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
lwien said:
Survivalism said:

Great. Thanks.
No problem at all, i was very dissapointed with my space case until spiral told me what to do, i am extremely happy with it now and recommend that everyone buys one. Spiral Architect is an Original Gangster for sure.

Survivalism,

bsandhu

stonemonkey55 said:
CD - I love the image you are using below your name, very clever! Check out this one, I "think" it might fit what you are looking for:

http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...r/products/3-3-piece-chromium-crusher-grinder

The two piece Spacecase I got grinds very, very fine. I don't know if it was due to the quantity I put in there or if it just grinds things down very finely in general. I do find that one you load the grinder with more herbs, the shredding usually gets finer and finer.
the space case is a freaking beast when it comes to fine grinds.

well, the 2 pc atleast i find with the 4 pc i had to spin it alot faster

bsandhu,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
*Grinder Update*
http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...s/2-25-4pcs-cnc-chromium-crusher-herb-grinder (black model) if you didnt already know

Overall so far my Chron Chrusher has been up to the highest of standards I thought it was going to be. only CON of the thing is the keif chamber is fucking HUGE. when they made the design it should have been made up for more storage in the bud chamber. give less room for keif. it dosent need to stack up that high. if I got anywhere near that much it would probably just clog the screen because I inevitability turn that sucker upside down. That really makes keif stick to the fine mesh screen. clogs it :rolleyes:

the ground material has very limited space in the compartment given. Im not asking for a larger grinder...I'm just commenting that the keif compartment is way too large. :2c:

:peace:

this chromium crusher gives a fine grind...any grinder can honestly. if you have a 4pc grinder just take off the 'grinder' parts and grind your nugget with the holes facing upwards. the material stays in the bladed compartment waiting to be sitting on a screen. :2c:

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
You're right. That's too much. We need to go through the thread and randomly delete 2 out of every 3 posts. That should do it. :lol:

max,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
Hennessy1414 said:
*Grinder Update*
http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...s/2-25-4pcs-cnc-chromium-crusher-herb-grinder (black model) if you didnt already know

Overall so far my Chron Chrusher has been up to the highest of standards I thought it was going to be. only CON of the thing is the keif chamber is fucking HUGE. when they made the design it should have been made up for more storage in the bud chamber. give less room for keif. it dosent need to stack up that high. if I got anywhere near that much it would probably just clog the screen because I inevitability turn that sucker upside down. That really makes keif stick to the fine mesh screen. clogs it :rolleyes:

the ground material has very limited space in the compartment given. Im not asking for a larger grinder...I'm just commenting that the keif compartment is way too large. :2c:

:peace:

this chromium crusher gives a fine grind...any grinder can honestly. if you have a 4pc grinder just take off the 'grinder' parts and grind your nugget with the holes facing upwards. the material stays in the bladed compartment waiting to be sitting on a screen. :2c:
I made my choice and go for a 2009 Premium Crusher 2.5inch , basicly the same as a chromium chrusher ,(flange less, steel/zing made, look like there is the same amount of teeth & same holes dia) but is is 5 piece with and extra sceen on it and henny bring a good point , on my last grinder the herb chamber was just to small , the Premium chrusher seem to have way more place for herb and less for kief what is totaly make sence . I hope I did'nt make a misstake LOL ...btw it really look like a good grinder , the finish seem ok too , this is basicly how it look :

ps: this is not mine , I bought it from ebay so I wait for it

Clear_Dome,

max

Out to lunch
That looks like my first Crusher CD. I got the 5 piece too, but the two screens were too much alike (and both too fine for my taste), so I never used both screens at the same time. I can tell you it'll have some good weight to it too.

max,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
I know about the weight but I dont care , this is why I buy an other , my 4 pieces ''areo space'' will became a 3 pieces portable crusher and this 5 pieces will be my ''home crusher'' ... and also ...screen can't be too fine ;) of course imho most of the time I take all the pollen out of my ''aerospace'' grinder and pass it thru one of my payload bag screen to remove all nasty green pieces ;)

Clear_Dome,

max

Out to lunch
I actually like the extra weight, and micron size on the screen is always personal choice, so if you like 'fine' you should be happy with this guy.

max,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
I love heavy things too , I feel like it is a better quality when it weight a lot . As for the micron size I agree with you , that's a personal choice , but you know I was thinking about it , If I dont want to rip off all the pollen of my herb I can use the grinder with only the final screen , this way I'll have ''la creme de la creme'' of the pollen and some potent grass

Clear_Dome,

songa

if im not mistaken...you can turn a 4pc space case into a 3pc grinder, right? just remove the screen compartment? i dont remember exactly....im supposed to have my 4pc titanium space case right now and its been nearly a month since i ordered it...horrible shipping.

songa,

songa

Survivalism said:
lwien said:
Survivalism said:

Great. Thanks.
No problem at all, i was very dissapointed with my space case until spiral told me what to do, i am extremely happy with it now and recommend that everyone buys one. Spiral Architect is an Original Gangster for sure.
OH and if not mistaken again......i know we all consider the TOP section of the space case to be the top part that we grind in (the part that has the space case logo etched in it), but doesnt space case really consider this the BOTTOM of the grinder??? i always thought this was strange...because this would mean that kief would always be falling through into the grinding chamber. i forgot where i read this, ill look around for it again, but i was just always under that impression. that may explain why the SC does not grind as fine as you guys expect it to, and why SURVIVALISM is suggesting this tip.

songa,

lwien

On the TI's, the logo is printed on the bottom of the kief section, or would you call that the top of the kief section? :ninja: . Now I'm really confused. Thanks songa..........lol.

lwien,
Top Bottom