Herb Grinders

TeddyJackEddy

Yep, that is the first thing I tried. I have a couple of the rubber pads and tried using them with no luck. Still waiting for a response from Dan at Mix'n'Ball. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Appreciate it.

TeddyJackEddy,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
*NEW PICKUP* (with pics)
http://www.vaporizerdealer.com/coll...s/2-25-4pcs-cnc-chromium-crusher-herb-grinder

yo my inter-net restarted in the middle of me typing up my review for this chron-crusher. lost all of what i typed I guess..couldda swore I hit POST before all that but...fuck it im too high to make it again....overall it kicks ass and is smooth to grind with.....for the price you CAN NOT beat it :cool:

:2c:

(pics too big...click the links)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0233.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0238.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0235.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0237.jpg(under side of bottom grinder)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0242.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/woahhhhbrah.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/hennessy1414/IMG_0232.jpg

:chill: :peace:

Hennessy1414,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
bud was a bit moist going in....hmm this thing might take over my billy bowl..AH never..well for now its drying out in the grinder to catch a lil more of that keif. seem like a really quality screen tho. a nice grinder no doubt

Hennessy1414,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
has anyone had any experience with easyleaf automated grinders? i have always been really interested but never heard any reviews or experiences about or with it. right now i just own a no name 4 piece grinder that seems to get the job done and collect a good amount of kief. i did however notice that the sharpstone grinder i got for my cousin grinds herb up more finely than mine. i was just interested in the automated version because im lazy as shit.

illadelph,

songa

I just got my mixnball double screen today, and mine also came with the threads upgrade already installed! and i did not even order the $5 extra upgrade...the main reason why i wanted to try the mixnball was because of the magnetized keif chamber...hahah i hate it wen kief gets stuck in the threads and causes it to be difficult to open/close. is there any way to remove the threads upgrade? it seems pretty permanent... =(

anyways, im veyr impressed with the build of teh grinder. however, i'm still very curious as to how the magnets would hold up over the threads. has anyone had experience with this? are they the sam exact magnet system that is used for the lid of the grinder? because when holding the grinder upside down, the cap falls off very easily - all you need to do is nudge the cap a lil bit and it falls off. If this is the same way for the keif chamber, than I probably would rather have the threads upgrade. any input apprecaited! thanks!

songa,

max

Out to lunch
If you watch the video of the upgrade being installed, you'll get an idea of how securely and tightly it fits. It can be removed, but it would be tough to do, and I don't know if damage to the upgrade or even the grinder can be avoided.

With just the two small magnets holding the bottom section, it can come loose pretty easily when in use if you don't hold it securely. And the small magnets aren't strong enough to hold the heavy grinder if you pick it up by the top or bottom section only.

all you need to do is nudge the cap a lil bit and it falls off.
Of course. You're disengaging the magnets by moving them apart. It only takes a "nudge" because the magnets are small, and they have to be small since they're located on the rim.

max,

songa

ok, thanks max. i think ill keep the threads on then.

if the magnets for the bottom chamber were more secure, and the top had the same magnet system as a space case, i woudl 100% satisfied with this! other than that, its still pretty damn close to perfect. i love the idea of the magnets with the removeable screens and the sturdiness of the grinder. another small quip is the sound it makes when grinding cuz of the metal on metal, but thats something i can live with.

songa,

TeddyJackEddy

Glad to hear you got your mixnball songa. I emailed Dan a few times about my grinder with the thread upgrade already installed. I did order the upgrade but had planned to install it myself. Just wanted to see which I liked better. After talking to Dan at mixnball, I don't think it's a good idea to try and remove the threads upgrade. He even offered to do a video of how to do that, but said that there would be no guarantee that the thread upgrade would go back in after getting them out. After reading max's comments, I think I'll be happy with the threaded version anyway.

Turns out there is nothing wrong with my mixnball grinder. I hadn't seen the video on how to install the thread upgrade, so I was trying to unscrew something that wasn't even screwed in to begin with. Duh! Felt pretty stupid once I found out what was going on.

I'm going to start using my new mixnball grinder and hopefully in a week or so I'll post a review and compare it with my chromium crusher. Later.........

TeddyJackEddy,

songa

hey guys, after a few uses of the mixnball grinder, i must say i am not that impressed with it. the quality is great, and it grinds very well, and the design is very clever and promising, but they dont work as well as I hoped they would.

first of all, i dont understand the practicality of a 2nd screen in the bottom if it can freely bounce around since it is not held in place through magnets. so i am just using 1 screen.

however, because the magnets are too weak, the screen falls through if, for example i hit it against a desk (to encourage kief to fall through), or drop it by accident. If the screen falls through when you have bud still inside (which i did) it can potentially fall past the screen and into the kief, or at least will make a very messy and inconvenient clean up.
i do not like the magnet design for the lid. i think the more traditional design like the one on the space case is much more practical. having 2 magnets along the rims makes the rim too easy to fall off when the magnets are not engaged, and it can also disrupt the circular motion while u grind, making it feel awkward and bumpy, not smooth like it would on a space case for example where the magnet is placed in the center of the circle instead of along the rims.
also, as i stated earlier, i really like the idea of magnets for the bottom chamber but the magnets have to be strong and reliable. i dont really like the kief chamber with the threads upgrade, because it seem slike too much kief gets caught in the threads or on top of the silver rim which can make things pretty messy. so pretty much, i'd like to see all the magnets become stronger so they can actually serve their purpose more effectively.
i was very excited about this grinder because it has some very advanced ideas and designs, but i think it needs a little bit of work to make it more functional and convenient. as it is right now, it will be perfect if you are very careful with it and mindful of the way you use it. but if you are using it on the go, and want a rugged (wont come apart easily) grinder for carefree grinding, then i would look elsewhere right now. i am curious about the mendo mulchers, but i can attest that space cases fit that description. my only gripe i had with the space case was that the kief got into the threads really easily, making the compartment hard to open/close, which was why i was intrigued by the MNB's magnet design. but with the threads upgrade, it is actually worse than the space case in my opinion. if only the magnets were done right, this wouldve made me very happy.

with that said, this is only my first day using it. i still plan on using it a bit more until i decide if i really want to keep it or sell it. so if my opinion on it changes, ill let you guys know. peace!

songa,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
friend of mine just gave me a space case grinder he bought a few years ago, i cleaned it up and it looks perfect except for 2 small areas in the screen where it meets the metal, just super small areas where the screen fucked up.

Ive been using my storz and bickel free 2 pc plastic grinder and this space case just dices the bud so easily, every tooth still razor sharp.

Survivalism,

Bananiq

I have mixnball classic from eBAy - thanks to max who have helped me choosing :) ...
im happy with that..It grinds good and quality is very high.

Bananiq,

songa

well, after a day of use, i have decided to sell my mixnball double screen grinder. if anyone here is interested in buying it, please email me at andysizzong@gmail.com and we can arrange something. for more info on the grinder check here:

http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/metal-pollen-herb-grinders/double-screen-grinder.html

The grinder has the threads upgrade already installed, so the bottom chamber is not magnetic. also, it is only a day old, so it is practically brand new, perfect condition. It sells for $55 on the main site, I'll let it go for $40. again, please email me at andysizzong@gmail.com if you are interested. Thanks!

songa,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
Have to agree with you about the magnets songa, I was very disappointed with that. It's a poor design IMO. Glad I only got the 2-piece, not as much of a disaster.

hazy,

max

Out to lunch
I like the design. I have no trouble keeping the top and bottom on, and the screen models offer versatility you don't get with fixed screen models. Different strokes.

max,

songa

yeah, its definitely a diffferent strokes for different folks kinda thing. i personally just want something i dont have to worry or think about when grinding, and something that i can beat up a lil bit without having it falling apart, coming loose, or having me worry about something. if you can use the MNB in a very stable environment than it should serve its function perfectly. i am just looking for something a little different.

songa,

TeddyJackEddy

Been using my mix'n'ball 5 piece grinder for a little over a week now. Kind of agree with songa about some things. It is best to be used at home, not taken on the road IMO. I say that because the bottom screen is not secured in position. It just lays on the bottom layer, so if you twist the grinder hard you can hear the bottom screen bouncing around.

With other grinders I would always tap the grinder on a table or something when done, to try and get more of the kief to fall through to the bottom. With the mix'n'ball 5 piece, I tried doing that, but of course the bottom screen bounced around and stuff fell through to the bottom and avoided the screen. Not too sure about the design.

I do love the quality of the grinder. First anodized coating I've used and think it's great. Does a great job of grinder. Just wish the bottom screen was kept in place by something. I initially had planned to buy the Mix'n'Ball Classic screen grinder, with just the one screen, but talked myself out of it. Probably will order that one some day. Do love their quality construction.

Did want to mention that I had been using a 3" chromium crusher till the mix'n'ball came. Had been very happy with the chromium crusher, especially for price. Was looking in the kief collector the other day and noticed some shiny pieces in the kief. Got out the tweezers and found pieces of metal!! Ended up using a magnet to get all of these tiny pieces of metal out of the kief. Not good. I made sure I thoroughly cleaned the grinder when it arrived. Washed and scrubbed with a brush then did a thorough brushing of the screen with a toothbrush. Very surprised to find metal after that. I think the metal is from the screen, not the grinder. Say that because the grinder is not affected by the magnet, but it does stick to the screen. Anyway, just wanted to warn others. Will not be using the chromium crusher again.

TeddyJackEddy,

lwien

I've heard about these metal shavings coming off of every grinder out there............except the SpaceCase.

lwien,

TeddyJackEddy

I had read about that problem too, so that was why I tried to really clean the grinder before using. Not sure what else I could have done to prevent it from happening. Glad I use da budda and not smoking this stuff. Smoking metal shavings does not sound good!

TeddyJackEddy,

songa

hey teddy, i've had metal shavings come off the TEETH of my old sharpstone. i was not having that so tahts when i suckedit up and paid the big money for the space case. i dont know if what you are finding are actually shavings from the teeth, cuz mine were like semi-big flakes taht were in my bud, not my kief. ull be fine in that dept. with the MNB im sure, but im glad you see where im coming from with the MNB design. I too always out of habit knock the grinder against a table or a hard surface to encourage kief to fall through. but whenever you do this with the MNB, the top screen falls through into the kief chamber whcih can get very annoying. im still trying to sell this thing. but i again found myself 'sucking it up' and buying a space case again, HAHA. space case is the one grinder i never have had a problem with. the only complaint i have about the space case is that kief gets intot he threads too easily in the bottom chamber..but so far no other grinders have solved that problem. and the space case is actually better at keeping the threads clean compared to the MNB w/thread attachment. just my 2cents.

songa,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Hey guys, sorry this took so long. About time I wrote up a little review of the Space Case Titanium 4 piece grinder. I've had it for a while now and have had teh opportunity to run a little bit of bud through it.

Well, let me say that overall I am very impressed. Almost everything about this grinder is great: it feels so sturdy and secure, all of the seams are just about flawless, it just looks and feels high quality all over. The teeth are awesome, well cut and very well placed, and the screen is also awesome and yeah...almost everything about it is awesome.

There are a few glaring problems though, and one of them is enough of an issue for me that it makes all those other benifits sort of moot. I find the holes on this grinder to be way, way too large. I don't know exactly how big they are (they are visibly bigger than the holes on any other grinder I've owned), but IMO they are definitely too large. I find the grind quality to be shit and inconsistent unless you do two things: use gummy, high quality bud, and place it in the grinder in bigger pieces. I happen to like to remove all of the stems from my bud by hand before it hits the grinder. This normally leaves the bud in small chunks. These chunks are on the whole prooving too small for the SC: they just fall through the holes. So the only way I get a decent grind is by using bigger chunks of bud, often with little stems still embedded in them, and STILL I am not impressed with the grind consistency.

:shrug: What the hell does one do? Well, I'll tell you what...I bought a small two piece TI Space Case, and I absolutely love it. No keif catching but I guess I wasn't meant to have a keif catching grinder...the 2 piece SC shreds like no bodies business, it's smooth as hell in operation and very easy to keep clean. Also the build quality is very impressive on the 2-piece.

I am a little soured on the keif catching grinder thing because I was really hoping for this SC to pull through, but whatever, I will hold on to it and just stick it in a drawer...maybe some day I'll have high quality sticky buds, and then I could see the SC 4-piece coming in handy. For my usual dried out beasters though the 2-piece does a fabulous job, and I believe I've finished my searching...I'm going to pick up a 2-piece medium TI SC and then call it quits.

The other major issue I have is with the finish: it looks bad ass as hell, and for the most part it SEEMS pretty strong...but there's already a few dents and chips out of the finish on each of my SC grinders!! It's not the end of the world because they're bound to get beat up over time anyway, but I kind of thought this adanoized coating was supposed to be way, WAY harder than this...gently knocking the two pieces of my 2-piece grinder together (to coax out the keif after a grind) created silver scratches on the grinder after just a couple uses. =( That's pretty lame, but WTF. The grind quality is superb, so I'll happily pick up a medium 2-piece and use these as long as they last.

BTW I got my 2-piece from Warehouse Goods and although I've had shitty service from them in the past, this time it was phenomenal and the grinder could not have arrived any quicker. I was actually surprised when I found the package in the mail because at the time I didn't exect it to be showing up for at least another week!!

Anyway, so the long and short of this is:

- SC 4-piece? Nice, but not worth the price tag IMO.

- SC 2-piece? Beautiful. I'll use this beast until it craps out on me. I don't think that will be any time soon, either...the aluminum is thick and solid. Should last for years!

partially veiled,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Nice of you to stop by. :D Glad you finally got your stuff, seems like it's been a long road. :lol:

I agree with you on the SC hole size, especially for the smaller bowl of the PD, a finer consistency is desirable. It's not a huge deal to use scissors and chop up the bigger pieces, I do this with all of my grinders. Grinding upside down can sort of emulate a 2 piece as well, but tends to gunk up a a bit and really, smaller holes would just be nice since everything else is really solid.

I don't know how many people would buy an 'upgrade' section with smaller holes but I know at least 3 :brow:. How small do you think would be ideal? 2.5 - 3mm? I think the current size on the SC is 5mm, my MixnBall and SSV grinders are around 4mm.

I imagine you're using your beautiful sifter boxes with that 2 piece. Not a horrible compromise. ;)

:cheers:

vtac,

lwien

Got a few questions, PV.

What size was the original 4pc that you got?
If the original 4pc was a medium, do you think that a small 4pc would grind a bit finer?

Are the holes the same size on the small as well as the medium 4pc?

And why are you getting a medium 2pc, when you already have the small 2pc?

Reason I'm asking all these questions is because I got a PD on the way, and I'm about to order (again because the first order never showed) a medium TI 4pc SC, but now you got me questioning my decision.

But all my bud is high quality off the top of the menus that I get from the med dispensaries here in Cali., so maybe the 4pc will be ok. I'm set on getting the SC because of it's quality, but I just wanna make sure that I make the right decision.

lwien,

songa

partially veiled...thats interesting you feel that way. but yea, a good question is what size grinder did you get? i've had a medium aluminum SC and a small titanium SC in the past. i actually just ordered another small titanium SC cuz i lost my old one. i actually found that the medium SC grinded perfectly for me. i thought it consistently grinded up my bud in the perfect size. the small SC i thoguht the holes were a little too small, causing the bud to stay in the teeth longer, resulting in a much finer grind. sometimes the bud would be ground up to crumbs. still not bad tho, and i love the small size. to me the SC is as perfect of a grinder as you can get right now. also, i am very surprised to hear about your scratch and dent problem. i've noticed that the aluminum space cases tend to scratch alot, but ive never seen one dent. and my last titanium one....i beat that thing up and took it with me on the road alot, yet it never had any problems with dents OR scratches...to me the SC has always been on eo fthe sturdiest, most durable grinders out there. maybe our styles differ and have different expectations from our grinders. all personal preference i guess!

songa,
Top Bottom