Herb Grinders

freedum

I just bought one of these from vaporstore. Its a spacecase knock-off. I'll post a review when it comes in, but I figured for $10 you can't really go wrong. Spacecase is top of the line, so a knock off will still have pretty high standards (or at least I hope.)
space400.jpg

freedum,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
freedum said:
I just bought one of these from vaporstore. Its a spacecase knock-off. I'll post a review when it comes in, but I figured for $10 you can't really go wrong. Spacecase is top of the line, so a knock off will still have pretty high standards (or at least I hope.)
http://www.vaporstore.com/backroom/space400.jpg
possibly you forgot the meaning of a "KNOCKOFF" ahahha

but for 10 bucks i would be happy if it simply ground my shit...the keif screen is just small shiny object to me on a grinder like that :p

hope it turns out well for you :)

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
If you want to drive a Porsche, get the Space Case. Its arguably one of the best grinders on the market, it's just the pricetag. :/

If you want to get the job done and save some money, go with a Chromium. You can get a single screen, 3 inch for like ~20 bucks. They work very well.

Some might say a MixN'Ball is a great compromise. Otherwise I might look into the Mendo Mulcher if you want something really high quality/rugged.

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
whats the best grinder
Like with vapes, there is no best grinder. ;)

and is the space case worth the money???
IMO it's not. I think both that and the Mendo are overpriced. The Mendo's a great shredder but I dislike the grommet and threads in the screen section.

I'd agree that the Chromium Crusher is good quality for the money. Screens are very fine though-not good for collecting a lot of kief. Definitely go with the 4 piece instead of the 5 piece, 2 screen models.

I like MixnBall for quality vs. price. That eBay seller that ILoveRadiohead! found has great prices on the Classic and Classic Screen (their best buy). The Double and Triple Screen MixnBalls are the most versatile on the market and you can't beat the anodized finish.

Like Spiral said, the Chromium is a great deal. A 2.25" 4 piece delivered for $17 (see eBay) is an insane deal. The best buy-no doubt.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I can say the Chromium makes kief just fine, in fact, comparable to my Mendo, it's just of a much finer quality. As blonde as it gets. :D

If you have low-grade, it might not be your best option, but for those dry dense dank nugs, it works really, really well.

Another high-quality grinder I have seen around and heard good things about is the Comic

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/Cosmic-Herb-Grinder-Triple.html

Here are some really nice high quality pictures quality of thrice twice @ marijuana.com

http://www.marijuana.com/smoking-accessories/108910-new-grinder-3-5-inch-cosmic.html

And the Kannastor looks really nifty, a lot of thought went into the design;

http://www.kannastor.com/

Replaceable screens, large chamber for holding herb with no threads.... i like the black top too

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
I can say the Chromium makes kief just fine
Yeah, just not much of it. I bought the 2 screen version, and the mesh size on the two is too similar for my taste. Not a good choice for collecting quantity.

The Cosmic looks nice, but I don't see anything about 'all CNC' or a warranty. Anodizing on the grinder section only? Too pricy for me.

The Kannastor looks interesting, but I don't see a price on the special pliers for screen removal. I like the 'screw on' screens on the Chromium or the magnetized ones on the MixnBall for versatility.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
You need higher grade my friend. :D

I was grinding nugs through the Chromium for a few hours at a friends house yesterday and before I left, we vaped all the kief -- it was a huge pile.

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
I have a range of grades, including Bubblegum. I've found dryness to be more of a factor than quality.

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
^
It generally is in kief production. The more brittle the weed, obviously the more brittle the trichomes, which results in more kief.

You say the screens in the Chromium are 'screw in'? Makes me wonder if I could somehow remove one and put in a mesh size of my choice, possibly reattaching it with tension clips (like in the PD stems/ Kannastor).

SpiralArchitect,

ILoveRadiohead!

Hey max, which kief screen do you use in your mix 'n' ball the most? I think the classic comes with the first stage only while the triple screen comes with an additional very fine and a super fine screen screen.

For you of those who have a PD vape how do you find that tube loaded best with pollen? Straight pollen, mixed with the other grind, or kind of a pollen sandwich with a layer of green then yellow and green again?

ILoveRadiohead!,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
ILoveRadiohead! said:
Hey max, which kief screen do you use in your mix 'n' ball the most? I think the classic comes with the first stage only while the triple screen comes with an additional very fine and a super fine screen screen.

For you of those who have a PD vape how do you find that tube loaded best with pollen? Straight pollen, mixed with the other grind, or kind of a pollen sandwich with a layer of green then yellow and green again?
i load the keif in my PD as follows

-load a green screen(so you cant see thru the other side yet it doesn't fill more than half the bowl)
-fill with loose keif to a little bit below where you would normally fill a bowl
-hit
- :ko:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

bongoman

Just ordered the Mix n Ball Classic Screen Grinder.

I've got a 2 piece Titanium Space Case which works great but want to run a little kif through the PD from time to time as well :)

Any tricks to working with a screen grinder? Freezing the grinder and herb first? Anything like that?

bongoman,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
bongoman said:
Just ordered the Mix n Ball Classic Screen Grinder.

I've got a 2 piece Titanium Space Case which works great but want to run a little kif through the PD from time to time as well :)

Any tricks to working with a screen grinder? Freezing the grinder and herb first? Anything like that?
if you can keep your grinder frozen at all time...thats great for getting more keif when you grind up a nugget :D

never compress it...why waste a good thing :p but do what you please

also freezing you bud in a mason jar is something i have wanted to try for some time...it will keif more but im not sure if it would affect taste or anything

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I wouldn't bother freezing anything. The drier the herb, the more brittle the herb, hence more kief production (the trichomes break off easier).

Freezing a mason jar or a lot of buds might make condensation or result in humidity issues, which is never good....

I let my nugs for the day sit out in the billy bowl over night and they are bone dry in the morning (but I can keep my stash fresh in mason jars), then I grind them up and make mounds of kief. :ko:

SpiralArchitect,

EitherOr

I have several Cosmic grinders, I think they are great. I personally have two of their 3.5" grinder's as well as a pollen press. I have never found any kind of manufacturing residue or metal bits in any of their products I have bought. The guy I used to buy these from said they were all sterilized at the factory in an autoclave prior to packaging.
I tend to believe him because like I said they were clean and spotless when received. They are very easy to leave fingerprints on though, as the finish is very very smooth, almost any mark or human touch will leave visible prints, until you wipe them off.
The exterior/interior fit&finish is excellent. The interior surfaces are polished/smooth, all threads face outward, it has some kind of black plastic o-ring that keeps it spinning smoothly. I've had my oldest one for about 3 years or so and I recently bought another identical one, aside from scuff's and stuff like that they are identical and the different parts interchanged perfectly.

If y'all are interested I can get some pictures of them! :cool:

SpiralArchitect said:
Another high-quality grinder I have seen around and heard good things about is the Comic

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/Cosmic-Herb-Grinder-Triple.html

Here are some really nice high quality pictures quality of thrice twice @ marijuana.com

http://www.marijuana.com/smoking-accessories/108910-new-grinder-3-5-inch-cosmic.html

EitherOr,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
seems like what the community wanted to hear^

glad to see you at FC EitherOr....pics would be awesome for the grinder thread :)

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Yeah, I would love some pictures of the Cosmic grinder. Especially of the screen and the deep chamber, if you would be so kind.

Did you pick yours up locally or on-line?

And is your name an Elliot Smith reference? :)

SpiralArchitect,

EitherOr

Pictures of my Cosmic's:

I tried to get some pics of the holding chamber, it is pretty large. I've ground up enough material for large groups of people in one go. I'm not sure what the exact capacity is.
The guy I used to buy these from was working with or directly affiliated with Cosmic at the time. As he was a 'friend', I was getting excellent prices and ended up buying around 6 or so to re-gift. All but 2 were given away as gifts, as my friends could never find these at stores.
After so long, It's still sharp as heck, its easy to cut yourself if you mess with the teeth.

EitherOr,

youdontknowme

Although there's nothing like the feeling of crumblin herb with your fingers, grinders can be pretty neat to have. My vote goes to Sharpstone, I have the 4-piece "clear top", it was about $20 on eBay. Great deal compared to the traditional Spacecase. Construction seems very solid, the glass in the top doesn't seems fragile at all and I love being able to tell when to stop grinding. The pollen catcher seems to be doing a pretty respectable job, the screen isn't too fine but personally I'd rather have a greener kif and have more of it than have pure white but taking forever to accumulate.

To help accelerate kif collection in my experience putting the coin or what have you in the herb collection chamber and shaking as well as keeping your stash and grinder in the fridge both work great. Never had issues with humidity or anything, in fact, I would even suggest it (I use Ball jars, pretty much identical to mason). Outside of the fridge I have had issues, never mold (which is def. possible) but sometimes just getting very dry. If you store in jar, you can always put in a few slips of paper to absorb moisture if you notice condensation, or citrus peels/celery if you believe its drying out. Frozen, herb will keep for at most 2 years, otherwise, you should enjoy it 4-8 months after harvest.

Don't forget to knock it all down when you are done grinding. In fact, the sound of a metal grinder being banged against floor is like the signal in my house that a session is about to begin. Make the knocking sound on the floor and suddenly there's knocking on the door until the room is decided to be at capacity.

I can post pics of my grinder as soon as the semester starts again, but why bother when you can find it on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SHARPSTONE-2-5-...21969885QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0
FWIW This isn't the seller I got mine from but I've never had problems on eBay anyway. Be sure to shop around to make sure that someone else reputable doesn't have the same item at a lesser price, or with lesser shipping.

youdontknowme,

ILoveRadiohead!

Thanks for the cosmic pics EitherOr. I had heard about the cosmic grinders but had never seen very many pics of them. Nice black SSV in the background ;)

ILoveRadiohead!,

EitherOr

My pleasure! I've wondered for a long time why more people dont use Comic's... But I realized they ARE expensive and hard to get. Another quirk is that aside from the stickers when new, it has no markings whatsoever. No brand, no name, nothing. But they have always had a lot of the 'new' features some manufacturers are catching on to.

I get quite a bit of Kif as well, its more blonde-ish than green. Unless you 'work' the material via the coin method or a business card. I clean it about once a month in alcohol, comes out looking brand new except for the wear scuff marks. To be honest, I think cleaning your grinders makes more of a difference than "working" your material for collections. At least I have found that to be the case with mine.

:cool:

Oh and thanks for the SSV shoutout! Thanks to tokinGLX's discount I have two of these black beauties

ILoveRadiohead! said:
Thanks for the cosmic pics EitherOr. I had heard about the cosmic grinders but had never seen very many pics of them. Nice black SSV in the background ;)

EitherOr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Thanks for those pictures dude! Do you know anywhere one might be able to find those online? I can only fine one place that sells the 2-inch version (I'd prefer a 3-inch).

That grinder looks really, really nice. I love how the top parts are mated so that it has a 'curve' to it -- what a great design idea!

How is the grind? Is it fairly consistent? The holes look rather large....

SpiralArchitect,

EitherOr

Those holes put me off a bit as well, also you may notice theres less total holes than with other models. But it doesn't seem to bother it, it grinds beautiful material. It's not ground into ultra small bits, but I prefer to vape it like that.

But I have a friend that I gave a Cosmic to that like's his really fine, so he spins the grinder upside down once, then spins it like normal to push the material down, it chops the heck out of it! It's very sharp, I think thats why the holes are bigger...so you don't pulverize the stuff.

Ive put bigger sized chunks of material and smaller more popcorn like ones and regardless of size, it usually just takes 1-2 turns for it to be 'broken' up and 2-3 more turns and the teeth will start to push stuff into the hole's as you spin.

This is the only other place I have found them online, but they are expensive. Cosmic is a boutique company, I have the hardest time trying to find these things, for my last one I had to resort to eBay.

http://www.vapormagic.com/Merchant2...Y&Store_Code=herbgrinder&Category_Code=cosmic

SpiralArchitect said:
Thanks for those pictures dude! Do you know anywhere one might be able to find those online? I can only fine one place that sells the 2-inch version (I'd prefer a 3-inch).

That grinder looks really, really nice. I love how the top parts are mated so that it has a 'curve' to it -- what a great design idea!

How is the grind? Is it fairly consistent? The holes look rather large....

EitherOr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Damn, that is pretty pricey. I might have someone look for them in headshops down south for me. :) I really like the design of it. I especially love the deep, deep chamber for the herbs. So beautiful. :)

And yeah dude, is your name a Elliot Smith reference? You may have missed my ? before.... just curious, big ES fan here. He has an album called Either/Or which is why I ask... it's one of my favorites, beautiful, beautiful music. :cool:

SpiralArchitect,
Top Bottom