Herb Grinders

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Very nice, Spiral. Good review!

Man I've learned more about herb grinders than I ever could have imagined. You guys rock!

partially veiled, damn that's a string of shitty luck. :/ I'm going to email mendomulchers.com and ask about the warranty... just to see if I get a response. So you didn't tell us which shaker box you ended up going with? Hope everything else is going well for you. Nice to know some things are reliable right?

Think I'll pick up a mixnball when they get some in stock. You guys have most of the others covered. :D

Edit: Cool tip on the mendo website, might have to try that.

http://www.mendomulchers.com/info.html said:
Put your Mendo Mulcher in the freezer for a few hours then tap it on a counter or other hard surface. This should clean most if not all the residue out of your mulchers screen. *Also this will allow for no loss of product.

vtac,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
^

That is a cool tip. I'm gonna try it with my Chromium and Mendo sometime.....

And yeah, I hope we get a Mix n' Ball review up here with some pics.

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
nice to have all this info and reviews on grinders, though im probably just going to drop 15 and get a mr coffee electric grinder at walmart :lol:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Nice review Spiral! That looks pretty darn slick...I might indeed end up buying a Chromium Crusher sometime down the road...maybe I'll wait for vtac to give us a Mix N' Ball review first...heh?? This would be a good spot for a :wink wink nudge nudge: emoticon. :lol: Anyways, that thing looks (aesthetically) awesome and it seems to do the job quite well...nice!

Some updates on the last update. I am still awaiting an answer from the Mendo makers. vtac please do let us know if they answer you; I am starting to feel like there's no way they've missed my letters this long...you know? So it'd be cool to hear if you actually get a response...either way, I still won't give up on them/leave them alone.

No, I didn't mention which Shaker Box I picked up, but I will be throwing up a review as soon as everything is in my hands. I mentioned that it arrived sans screen...I contacted the manufacturer, and they said that's the way they shipped their boxes (box and screen separately), so I should receive my screen any day now. I was sure to tell them that it'd be a good idea to INFORM people of this practice, and that way they'd probably get less panicky e-mails from people who only received one or the other...:/ Anyway, there was a slip from Canada Post on my doorknob today, so I'm pretty sure that's my screen and I'll pick that up tomorrow sometime. I won't be ready to review for a while longer...but just to tantalize a bit more, in the meantime...there will not be one box, but rather two, that I'm going to review at the same time. So keep an eye out for that, if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Finally my package from KGP arrived today. I have not had time to use anything yet, but I will throw up some pics/a review as soon as I get a chance (soon...I hope...maybe tomorrow? I'll swipe the computer while my Sister is at class, if I happen to be home). I will say thought that I'm actually quite impressed with what I received. I haven't ground anything yet so that is still up in the air, but everything is aesthetically quite pleasing/appears to be well made, and upon inspecting the teeth (which I was worried about after SA's dud of a grinder), they seem to be more than adequate. Not perfectly even and uniform like my Mendo, but they don't look at all bad, either. I'll give a real review as soon as I clean the grinders and use them.

partially veiled,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Awesome PV. :D And yes, I am anxious as hell to hear about your kief boxes. I think it will be my next MJ investment, because I'm kind of tired of using a mason jar/medicine bottle because so many crystals get stuck on the glass.... I could be vaping all of those!

BTW, on the MixN'Ball site, it now says Stock is Pending. So I'm not sure if that is <4 or >4 weeks.... I'd contact and ask them if anyone is gonna be buying one, or plans on it soon.

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
I haven't ground anything yet so that is still up in the air, but everything is aesthetically quite pleasing/appears to be well made, and upon inspecting the teeth (which I was worried about after SA's dud of a grinder), they seem to be more than adequate. Not perfectly even and uniform like my Mendo, but they don't look at all bad, either. I'll give a real review as soon as I clean the grinders and use them.
That's what I've got with my 2 KGP cheapies. Not being all CNC'd, the teeth aren't identical, but well formed and effective. My CNC from Kelly is as good as anything I've used.

BTW, on the MixN'Ball site, it now says Stock is Pending. So I'm not sure if that is <4 or >4 weeks
That's supposed to mean "in our warehouse but not ready for shipping". On screen grinders, only the Classic is out of stock.

MixnBall now has screw on bottom sections for the Double and Triple Screen grinders in stock. This is for v.2 of these two (with the magnetically attached kief collector). You get the bottom section where the top screen fits, and the kief collector, for $5 (to cover shipping). So if you have v.2 of either, you end up with interchangeable bottom sections for the grinder-magnet or screw on. :cool:

Found out the standard $10 shipping does apply to the 'Screen Upgrade' product. Still a good deal to get interchangeable bottom sections.

max,

bongoman

I use a small titanium space case, 2 piece.

No holes, no screen. I love it - only gripe is it is a little too small. In hindsight I should have got the next size up.

bongoman,

Volcano South

Well the holes are so you can't overgrind it. My wife loves to grind, but she often gets really blazed and would grind the bud into dust.

The screen is self explanatory.

When I was a n00b I owned a 3 piece (no holes) grinder that I bought for $8 from a gas station.

Now I've upgraded to a ~65mm single screen 4 piece.

Volcano South,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
well i ended up getting a 4 piece sharpstone grinder at a smoke shop, i decided on the 4 piece rather than 2 because it was only 10 more
im quite pleased with it, i like ritual, i take of the top and grind with that upside down, then put it back on and grind to let it fall through the holes, i get a nice even grind that way
a little kief scraping paddle that i keep in the screen chamber as an agitator, i also shake it occasionally just because i want to

im quite suprised how much kief ive gotten from my very light use, but i know this will just be something that will become a part of my compulsive collecting and saving :lol: (that is to say, ill just let it collect and watch the collection grow and use very little)

Acolyte of Zinglon,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I've basically migrated back to my Mendo... I like the looks of the Chromium, but the function not so much... it just doesn't make the same consistency of kief I am use too... the screen is a scoche too fine and get's clogged. It works well for grinding up a lot of bud, but for smaller amounts, my Mendo is quick and easy.... :2c:

Glad your enjoying that Sharpstone AoZ. :D

that is to say, ill just let it collect and watch the collection grow and use very little)
I haven't had that much self control in a while.... :lol: I depleted my collection today, now I have to wait a while.

SpiralArchitect,

ILoveRadiohead!

I just purchased a PD vape (I cannot WAIT for it to arrive :) ) and decided I might want to upgrade from a cheapo $5 acrylic with a few broken teeth to something new with a kief screen to feed that puppy. I'm having a really hard time deciding between a Chromium Crusher, Sharpstone, KGB, and Mix 'n' Ball.

I used a friends super cheap aluminum grinder a few times that ended up with some aluminum dust/shavings in the grind so that deterred me from buying one. However, I figure the Purple Days can benefit from a quality grind and occasional kief matter.

Anyone care to chime in on which one would be the worthwhile purchase? Or am I just making this too hard and should I just buy the cheapest one and be done with it?

ILoveRadiohead!,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Well, how much are you willing to spend?

If I were you, I may as well go all out and get a Mix 'N' Ball or one of KGB's nicer grinders if you want to save a few bucks. ;)

If you like the black aesthetics though, you can't go wrong with the Chromium. I just used her tonight (The Mendo reigns supreme in my household) at a friends house and she works great. Nice grind, good kief collection, and at that price? Shit, what a deal! :D

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
Progress said:
What about the 'stack of silver dollars' grinder w/ magnet and screen (the link below had the best pics I could find).

http://www.bewild.com/sidohegrwipo.html

Looks cool, compact, novel screen idea...Any insight?
They don't even tell you what size it is. :/ It may be fine. It's hard to tell about the cheap ones. I've purchased both cheap and expensive. For quality brand names good buys are MixnBall (Classic and Classic Screen are the best buys) and Chromium Crusher (screens are too fine for my taste though). I've heard SharpStone is OK.

For the PD I like a grinder with smaller holes for the finer grind you get. If that interests you I highly recommend the 1.75" 4 piece from Kelly's Great Products on eBay. He's the only source of grinders with smaller than 5mm holes I know of. If you want more capacity, his 'new style' 2.5" comes standard with 5mm holes, but you can specify either 4" or 6" when you buy.

I've got 3 of Kelly's grinders and like 'em a lot. One is 100% CNC made and rivals the high priced brands IMO. At $30 though you can't beat the anodized finish on the Mixnball Classic screen.

max,

ILoveRadiohead!

SpiralArchitect said:
Well, how much are you willing to spend?
I was thinking of spending around $30-35 on a grinder but I wouldn't object to spending less or a little more if I would gain an proportionate amount of quality for the money spent.
SpiralArchitect said:
If I were you, I may as well go all out and get a Mix 'N' Ball or one of KGB's nicer grinders if you want to save a few bucks. ;)

If you like the black aesthetics though, you can't go wrong with the Chromium. I just used her tonight (The Mendo reigns supreme in my household) at a friends house and she works great. Nice grind, good kief collection, and at that price? Shit, what a deal! :D
I love good looking or artistic equipment, but performance and value are the factors that usually drive my decisions.

These were the options I was thinking about:

56mm Mix 'N' Ball Classic v3 4-piece grinder $27 shipped
classic_screen_herb_grinder_all.jpg

Only concerns on this one are the lack of o-ring and concerns on coating since the website states you have to use their cleaning product in order for the warranty to be valid. Pros seem to be less sticking of kief to screen and walls of grinder.

56mm Chromium Crusher 4-piece grinder $17 shipped
untitled_2_large.jpg

Have heard good luck and some bad with this one similar to the Sharpstones. Seems like pros would be price and cons would be too fine a screen on the filter.

and finally,

56mm Fully CNC'd KGB (kelly's great products) 4-piece grinder $33
34d3_1.JPG

or 5-piece for $36

These seem like well machined grinders that have very similar layouts to space cases. Though reading Max's posts it seems like its not as high quality/performance as the Mix "N" Ball?

Once my PD vape arrives I'd guess that that will be my main device with very occasional pipe use. Any of these mentioned (or not mentioned) better suited to that purpose or should I just stick to my broken plastic grinder, scissors, and shot glass? ;)

on a side note: Any of you use pollen presses? I was thinking about grabbing one of those from KGB with any grinder I end up with. Useful tool? More hassle than its worth?

ILoveRadiohead!,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Hm. It's a tough decision. I can say the screen on the Chromium is pretty fine, so it makes really blonde kief -- almost no plant material. :ko:

I guess it really just ends up what you want, the Chromium is probably your best value and the MixNBall the best performance, with the KGB somewhere in between. :2c:

I don't bother pressing my kief. I vape it all anyway and it's a lot easier to handle in powder form, not to mention easier to dose.

SpiralArchitect,

greenganja

I have had good luck with the Sharpstone grinder. It is a pretty solid grinder, however on a couple of different times I forced the grinder and broker a tooth inside the grinder. I personally have a problem spending a hundred dollars on an herb grinder (I spent 40$ on my Sharpstone and thought that was even a little on the excessive side. I used to use my bean grinder, but found it a little bit harder to collect the kif using a coffee bean grinder, but like some others have said if you have a lot to grind up the coffee bean grinder is the best bet for grinding a lot at one time. But it's very easy to over grind with a coffee bean grinder and turn your plant material into a powdery like state. I might give the Chromium Crusher a try on my next grinder choice.

greenganja,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
ya, im a satisfied sharpstone user too, it hasnt failed on me yet

if it does im going for the chromium crusher though

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
ILoveRadiohead! said:
56mm Mix 'N' Ball Classic v3 4-piece grinder $27 shipped

Only concerns on this one are the lack of o-ring and concerns on coating since the website states you have to use their cleaning product in order for the warranty to be valid.
I have a triple screen (and a Mega Leaf) but I'd say the Classic Screen is surely the best buy. But where do you get $27 shipped? The Classic 4 piece is $30 ($24 member price) and shipping is always $10 (minimum). The Classic (2 piece) would be $16.50 + shipping = $26.50. Sure you weren't looking at that one for pricing?

As for the O-ring, you don't need it. It makes for a quieter grind, but the ring itself gets ground down to a certain extent, so it's not a perfect solution. As for the BS about using their special cleaner, I've used it vs. ISO, and after inspecting both results with a magnifying glass, there's absolutely no difference and no way to tell which cleaner has been used. Using soap (mostly animal fat) is a no-no, and I suspect that the warranty warning is to prevent that, and also to sell some cleaning product.

Although the warranty is 5 years, a CNC made grinder like this will never have broken teeth like with the cheaper method of manufacture. The anodized coating is the best on the market IMO, and doesn't get scratched up. I've found that the coating also makes for less frequent and easier cleaning vs. other grinders. :tup: for the Classic Screen.

max,

ILoveRadiohead!

max said:
I have a triple screen (and a Mega Leaf) but I'd say the Classic Screen is surely the best buy. But where do you get $27 shipped? The Classic 4 piece is $30 ($24 member price) and shipping is always $10 (minimum). The Classic (2 piece) would be $16.50 + shipping = $26.50. Sure you weren't looking at that one for pricing?
Ebay seller Hydroponicsfast has them on sale for $26.99 with free usps shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230290108891
Your right that it would have cost $40 direct from Mix 'N' Ball. I was all set to order from their direct site till I noticed that the classic screen is on a 8 week backorder! Ouch. It looked like the ebay seller had great feedback, so that paired with his sale (lasts for a couple more days) and free shipping, I figured it would be the best buy right now. I was really close to getting a Fully CNC'd KGP grinder the same size as the mixnball but that would run me $33.49 shipped.

I know this isn't a pollen presser dedicated thread but anyone else use a press and think its a worthwhile investment? Or have any recommendations for one or some alternative? Maybe it will be unnecessary as Spiral mentioned once I get my own vape. (tomorrow!) :D

ILoveRadiohead!,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i think loose kief vapes better because theres more accessible surface area for the hot air to contact and boil the resin

personally i just store my kief in a little gold vial and tap some out when i want some salad dressing :cool:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

max

Out to lunch
ILoveRadiohead! said:
Ebay seller Hydroponicsfast has them on sale for $26.99 with free usps shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=230290108891
Your right that it would have cost $40 direct from Mix 'N' Ball. I was all set to order from their direct site till I noticed that the classic screen is on a 8 week backorder! Ouch. It looked like the ebay seller had great feedback, so that paired with his sale (lasts for a couple more days) and free shipping, I figured it would be the best buy right now. I was really close to getting a Fully CNC'd KGP grinder the same size as the mixnball but that would run me $33.49 shipped.
Wow! Great price. I never see Mixn'Balls listed on eBay. This guy is selling too cheap IMO, but I won't tell him. ;)
I know this isn't a pollen presser dedicated thread but anyone else use a press and think its a worthwhile investment? Or have any recommendations for one or some alternative? Maybe it will be unnecessary as Spiral mentioned once I get my own vape. (tomorrow!) :D
I got a free pollen press with my Triple Screen and have used it a few times, but I'm with A of Z. For vaping, I find loose kief easier to work with. My press is going to pretty much sit and collect dust. :/

max,
Top Bottom