Herb Grinders

EitherOr

I'm sorry dude, I missed that Q. It is and it isn't an ES reference! I am a big fan of his music but I got "Either/Or" from teh same place ES got it, Kierkegaard. :cool:

I think you will have luck in shops, the guy I knew was flogging these to shops and clubs.
This was before CNC'd 6061 aluminum grinders, were so easily obtainable. Gotta love China flooding a market! So I don't know if they are THAT special anymore, but I love mine.

SpiralArchitect said:
Damn, that is pretty pricey. I might have someone look for them in headshops down south for me. :) I really like the design of it. I especially love the deep, deep chamber for the herbs. So beautiful. :)

And yeah dude, is your name a Elliot Smith reference? You may have missed my ? before.... just curious, big ES fan here. He has an album called Either/Or which is why I ask... it's one of my favorites, beautiful, beautiful music. :cool:

EitherOr,

EitherOr

I believe they are made out of 6061 aluminum that is clear anodized, I will look for the sheet that came with them that has the specs/info.

ILoveRadiohead! said:
SpiralArchitect said:
Another high-quality grinder I have seen around and heard good things about is the Comic

http://www.vaporwarehouse.com/Cosmic-Herb-Grinder-Triple.html
Thats neat, if vaporwarehouse has their info correct then the cosmic grinders are made of anodized aluminum similar to mixnball grinders.

EitherOr,

youdontknowme

really, what isnt made out of 6061 these days? ;) even if the retailer says otherwise, retailers can often just be full of shit. either take it from the manufacturer or find out yourself, but 6061 is so cheap and easy to source i see no reason why it wouldn't be. now spacecase has titanium grinders out, so thats something to keep an eye out for. like all SC its hard to find online but check shops and come with lots of money cuz im sure they are pricey as shit. one of these days im going to get in the shop and machine my own grinder with a custom cnc'd logo on top, who knows what else. but the cheap decent ones on ebay are such a no brainer.

youdontknowme,

freedum

Well I got my space case knock-off and let me tell you it is a knock off for sure. First the outer shell is badly trying to imitate the space case case. There is a dent in the side where either someone dropped it or the clamp pressed in the metal during machining. Speaking of machining... extremely bad. The teeth are not all machined to quality. Some of the teeth show marks of bad CNC where the tool was not programed to be in the right spot. There is also a slight inconsistency in the symmetry of the lid and the base where when spinning it will rub on one side more than the other. First grind produced 0 kif. My dank is pretty wet though and maybe it should dry out a little more. Other than that stuff... for $10 I think its still a pretty good deal. My previous grinder was the stack of half dollars which was $5 at a gas station.

freedum,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
freedum said:
Well I got my space case knock-off and let me tell you it is a knock off for sure. First the outer shell is badly trying to imitate the space case case. There is a dent in the side where either someone dropped it or the clamp pressed in the metal during machining. Speaking of machining... extremely bad. The teeth are not all machined to quality. Some of the teeth show marks of bad CNC where the tool was not programed to be in the right spot. There is also a slight inconsistency in the symmetry of the lid and the base where when spinning it will rub on one side more than the other. First grind produced 0 kif. My dank is pretty wet though and maybe it should dry out a little more. Other than that stuff... for $10 I think its still a pretty good deal. My previous grinder was the stack of half dollars which was $5 at a gas station.
so you bought crap before and expected a little more by doubling:lol:your money?

lesson in life i guess....watch out for metal flakes bro..the grinding of parts, other than your weeds, doesn't sound good :/

'least it works :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

bongoman

Can someone give me a quick comparison between the build quality of Mx 'n Ball vs. Space Case? Are Space Cases necessarily better units?

Also, has anyone tried one of the Space Case Sifter Boxes as seen here? They don't grind, just sift kif.

bongoman,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
My previous grinder was the stack of half dollars which was $5 at a gas station.
Freedum, did you have any problems with your silver dollar grinder (they look cool, but not much info)?

Toke it easy :cool:

Edit: I just may want a mini in addition to the 3 1/2" Space Case and the oldskool (pat. pending) 2" Sweet Leaf (but no metal flakes, etc. ;) ). Any insight is greatly appreciated :D

Progress,

ILoveRadiohead!

bongoman said:
Can someone give me a quick comparison between the build quality of Mx 'n Ball vs. Space Case? Are Space Cases necessarily better units?
I just received my Mix 'N' Ball last week and was going to post impressions soon. I don't own a space case but checked them out thoroughly and other brands while trying to decide on a grinder.

For a quick summary; I think max's posts were pretty similar to my findings. I think for $30 the mixnball classic screen is a good balance in between the cheaper grinders and the more expensive ones like the mendo, cosmic, and space case.

More detailed impressions later when I get time.

bongoman said:
Also, has anyone tried one of the Space Case Sifter Boxes as seen here? They don't grind, just sift kif.
I would think that for $60 you would be better off splurging for the 4 piece space case grinder. Purple Days makes a shakey screen for kief collecting that I would imagine would work as well as the space case sifter box as far as functionality is concerned.

ILoveRadiohead!,

max

Out to lunch
I'm convinced that you can get an excellent screen grinder for a reasonable price, especially if you're willing to go for a smaller size (around 2" diameter). I've been curious enough though to spring for a Mendo (liked the quality but not the design), and I've heard from others that it's very close to the Space Case (one or two have even preferred the Mendo). My SC curiousity continues though, so I picked up a medium titanium SC with screen on eBay at a good price and had a 10% eBay coupon to boot. I'll post my :2c: after it arrives. I do like the MixnBall anodized finish (stays cleaner and no long term oxidation) so I'm sure I'll like that aspect of the SC. But at regular prices of $90 or more for a medium, I think the brand is for people with money to burn. I expect that, like the Mendo, I'll be selling my SC after satisfying my curiosity.

ILoveRadiohead! said:
I would think that for $60 you would be better off splurging for the 4 piece space case grinder. Purple Days makes a shakey screen for kief collecting that I would imagine would work as well as the space case sifter box as far as functionality is concerned.
A 4 piece SC for $60? Am I missing a good source? Best price I've seen is Gratefulbuys on eBay at $70 for a regular small size. I do think that if you want a SC, it makes sense to get a 2 piece ($23-35, depending on size) and buy Tom's shakey screen (or buy one from your local hardware store).

max,

ILoveRadiohead!

max said:
ILoveRadiohead! said:
A 4 piece SC for $60? Am I missing a good source? Best price I've seen is Gratefulbuys on eBay at $70 for a regular small size. I do think that if you want a SC, it makes sense to get a 2 piece ($23-35, depending on size) and buy Tom's shakey screen (or buy one from your local hardware store).
Sorry, I meant that if you intend on spending $60 for the sifter portion alone you might as well spend the extra and splurge for a 4-piece SC. :)

ILoveRadiohead!,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
i dont know about anyone else, but i really love the look of those cosmics... god damn now i want one of them :ko:

Acolyte of Zinglon,

freedum

The half dollar grinder was adequate. One of my roommates bought it for the vape and it worked fine until it was stolen (someone probably thought they were gonna make a trip to the bank :lol: ). Anyways I got the knock off space case as a replacement. The half dollar grinder is cast and not CNC'd, but it grinded for over a year with no problems.

freedum,

max

Out to lunch
ILoveRadiohead! said:
max said:
ILoveRadiohead! said:
Sorry, I meant that if you intend on spending $60 for the sifter portion alone you might as well spend the extra and splurge for a 4-piece SC. :)
Yeah, definitely have to agree with that.

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
This might sound like a stupid question, but I never had a grinder before I started vaporizing. My grinder doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to. Do you guys ever need to clean the loading chamber and its blades?

stickstones,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
ohhhhhh i knew i forgot to add something to this thread!

the grinder can get stuck from time to time(sticky turning motion) all i use around the lip of the grinder(where its makes contact with the wall of the inside part of the grinder) is a lil dab of buzz butter...a nice even thin layers around the gear...was all it needed to feel all new again...

it just spins ans spins and spins..."they spinnin man they spinnin" (reference to spinnaz on a cars rims) :lol:

buzz butter FTW!

Hennessy1414,

youdontknowme

Iso will definitely do the trick is the mess is gunk on your blades, as far as lubricating the joint between the top and bottom pieces, I'm not sure buzz butter is the best metal-metal lubricant, but hey, if it does the trick... of course, you wouldn't want just any lubricant so close to something you are getting ready to smoke/vape. Some top shelf grinders have Delrin, Teflon, HDPE, etc, rings as a kind of bearing.... not truly necessary, my sharpstone doesn't have them, but it grinds my medicine with no complaints from me. But if yours does, I'm sure the spinnin action is fantastic.

youdontknowme,

Costanza

As soon as I started vaporizing I went out and got a grinder at a local smoke shop.
It's just a two piece + storage top and I wonder what the benefits of buying a better grinder would be.
I opted out of a kiefing grinder because I'm mildly obsessive compulsive and the ones I've seen always have plant matter stuck between the center piece and screen; which would bug the hell out of me.

Do the more expensive grinders have better screens that would solve the aforementioned problem?
Is it about the ability to produce a finer grind? Why exactly pay more for your grinder?

Costanza,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
youdontknowme said:
Iso will definitely do the trick is the mess is gunk on your blades, as far as lubricating the joint between the top and bottom pieces, I'm not sure buzz butter is the best metal-metal lubricant, but hey, if it does the trick... of course, you wouldn't want just any lubricant so close to something you are getting ready to smoke/vape. Some top shelf grinders have Delrin, Teflon, HDPE, etc, rings as a kind of bearing.... not truly necessary, my sharpstone doesn't have them, but it grinds my medicine with no complaints from me. But if yours does, I'm sure the spinnin action is fantastic.
eah.....the buzz is workin great...i do not advise things if i havent tested it for 2weeks plus and trust that it works...

ahhahah the chris rock shit...classic :cool:

as for costanza....hey man every screen grinder you buy will get a lil piece of green stuck in the screen...that shows you that only the gold falls thru....OCD no more! hahha just playin but it really isnt that much of a big deal :/

Hennessy1414,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
When I am making up a pile of herb, pre ground, to use with my PD -- I take the top part off and grind it a few extra times, reattach the top compartment, and grind the bud through. :)

High quality grinders do have better mesh. If you want one that isn't likely to get clogged, check out a Mendo/SpaceCase or TrueBlendz (although their have been mixed reviews on these). A small painters brush easily cleans any clogged debris from the screen. :)

Cool skull grinder though.... never seen one of those. :D

SpiralArchitect,

ILoveRadiohead!

Here are a few pics of the new mixnball.

I really like the design of the sharp teeth and the layout. The teeth seem to well machined and correlate well with the hole placement. The holes are about 4.5 mm so the grind ends up on the finer spectrum but not too fine. I usually run the herb through twice for PD use and once for anything else.

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

The screen yields pretty good keif that is pure enough for my use and hasn't been clogged up yet. I do like the contoured edge along the bottom of the grinder.

ILoveRadiohead!,
Top Bottom