Herb Grinders

Wolf46

Vapor War Team Cap
Hey, if there is a genuine problem or flaw with the porduct, ESPECIALLY a safety concern, then you are fully and rightly entitled to a full refund or replacement.

No other course of action would be fair, just, right, sufficient etc.

It is your absolute paramount right. Dont just roll over. They owe you.

Contact them. Be polite, sincere, but insistent. Simply insist that they make it right.

If they dont cooperate- open a Dispute with Amazon. Dead easy- just explain the issue, they prob want a photo, and I guarantee you they will refund you and mediate with the seller.

In this day and age, this is how things are. They sent you a bad item. They are wrong and have an obligation to make it right. Your perfect entitilement, anything less is unacceptable. Seriously. Good luck but have comfidence and please keep us posted.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
SLX sold on Amazon have been known to be fake at times unfortunately.

That's what I was thinking. I know it doesn't help now, but in the future I would never buy something like that from Amazon.
Manufacturer authorized resellers only!

Also, many products don't have a warranty unless you buy from an authorized reseller.

Pustupillo

The Don_Key
Hi guys

What do you think about wooden grinders?

The ryot 1905 4 pieces looks Amazing.

Im undecided between Santa cruz shredder- space case- and this ryot

Any tips and feedback?

Ty

PPN

Volute of Vapor

MGG

I personally had issues with the small santa cruz.

The screen is 'too' fine, you get a really nice collection but it gunks up easy and often won't collect so much compared to cheaper grinders.

I also found it very hard on my wrist.

The medium or above would probably be a better choice.

Ryot Packratz medium is really nice, recommend that too.

Ralph

Hey Folks,
I just picked up the new Herb Ripper XL a few days ago and all I can say is WOW. I have been using a 4 piece Santa Cruz and Space Case (4 piece medium) shredders for years as well as a Brilliant Cut Grinder for a few months (Gift from a buddy). In my honest opinion The Herb Ripper is in another league. The build quality is outstanding!!!!!! It is machined to perfection and is built like a Tank. I have only used the fine plate which works great with my Mighty Vape. I ordered the standard version ( Shiny) and thought I received the wrong item until I spoke with Kevin. Basically the inside is sandblasted in order to prevent material from sticking to the inside, which after using it can attest to the form and function. I thought the inside would have matched the outside which is why I reached out to Kevin and he explained why all the new grinders are being made with the sandblasted interior. This thing will last forever and literally can be passed down to generations. That's how well this thing is made.
I wanted to buy a stainless steel grinder for a few years now and held off for whatever reason. After a few google searches and what little information I could find online about the Herb Ripper, I decided to take a shot. I am totally glad I did. The Brilliant Cut Grinder did a very nice job of grinding material and was very smooth. However, I noticed some dis-color or that the coating on the inside was fading and getting down to bare aluminum. It wasn't a huge concern, but needless to say it was enough for me to sell it to a buddy who didn't really care. As far as the Santa Cruz is concerned, I was always a tad disappointed in the value/price as well as how cheap it felt in my hand. It's light and does a good job but it never put a smile on my face when using it. I know it sounds stupid!!! I felt the same way about the space case, although I feel it is machined a tad better than the Santa Cruz. It works well and performed as advertised but I still wanted Stainless! Sometimes you just pick something up and hold in in your hand and say WoW!!!! For the first time touching and using the Herb Ripper I just smiled and said WoW!!!!! I love this thing!!!! Anyone on the fence, just buy it!!! You will not be disappointed!!!! Once I use all 3 plates I'll give more feedback. Anyone looking for a 4 piece Santa Cruz Shredder LOL!!!

flammy

Hey Folks,
I just picked up the new Herb Ripper XL a few days ago and all I can say is WOW. I have been using a 4 piece Santa Cruz and Space Case (4 piece medium) shredders for years as well as a Brilliant Cut Grinder for a few months (Gift from a buddy). In my honest opinion The Herb Ripper is in another league. The build quality is outstanding!!!!!! It is machined to perfection and is built like a Tank. I have only used the fine plate which works great with my Mighty Vape. I ordered the standard version ( Shiny) and thought I received the wrong item until I spoke with Kevin. Basically the inside is sandblasted in order to prevent material from sticking to the inside, which after using it can attest to the form and function. I thought the inside would have matched the outside which is why I reached out to Kevin and he explained why all the new grinders are being made with the sandblasted interior. This thing will last forever and literally can be passed down to generations. That's how well this thing is made.
I wanted to buy a stainless steel grinder for a few years now and held off for whatever reason. After a few google searches and what little information I could find online about the Herb Ripper, I decided to take a shot. I am totally glad I did. The Brilliant Cut Grinder did a very nice job of grinding material and was very smooth. However, I noticed some dis-color or that the coating on the inside was fading and getting down to bare aluminum. It wasn't a huge concern, but needless to say it was enough for me to sell it to a buddy who didn't really care. As far as the Santa Cruz is concerned, I was always a tad disappointed in the value/price as well as how cheap it felt in my hand. It's light and does a good job but it never put a smile on my face when using it. I know it sounds stupid!!! I felt the same way about the space case, although I feel it is machined a tad better than the Santa Cruz. It works well and performed as advertised but I still wanted Stainless! Sometimes you just pick something up and hold in in your hand and say WoW!!!! For the first time touching and using the Herb Ripper I just smiled and said WoW!!!!! I love this thing!!!! Anyone on the fence, just buy it!!! You will not be disappointed!!!! Once I use all 3 plates I'll give more feedback. Anyone looking for a 4 piece Santa Cruz Shredder LOL!!!

Thanks for posting this. So the BCG's anodization is a little light? How long until the fading occurred?

Ralph

I noticed it last week when I went to clean it. I received it about 2-3 months ago, give or take. There's a mention of this on the dedicated thread for Brilliant Cut Grinder. I believe it's on the last page but may have started the page before. The other thing I really love about the Herb Ripper is that I can take it apart and throw it in the dishwasher if need be and it will shine like brand new. I am not joking, this thing is AWESOME!!!!!! I haven't been this stoked about a product since I bought the Mighty. After dozens of purchases, both grinders and Portable Vapes, both products check all of my boxes!!!!!!!

Kevin, the owner of the Herb Ripper is a local guy from Kentucky who runs a family owned company. Super nice guy and seems to really care. He's just started out and I think if he plays his cards right can really have a great thing going for him. He's got all the tools to make this in house and in the U.S.A. That alone was really cool to me. My family owned a business in Connecticut for 48 years so I always like to support the small, family businesses if I can. It makes it really easy when the product is just plane Great!!!!

I will say that I liked the Brilliant Cut Grinder! It worked as advertised. It was a pain to clean but so are all my other grinders, past and present. Stainless steel in my opinion is far Superior. I don't really shop price and am a firm believer of buying once, cry once. I don't have to look, read, research, again about what's going on in the grinder world anymore. Just waiting for an upgraded or Mighty II to be released (one can dream, right?)

flammy

I noticed it last week when I went to clean it. I received it about 2-3 months ago, give or take. There's a mention of this on the dedicated thread for Brilliant Cut Grinder. I believe it's on the last page but may have started the page before. The other thing I really love about the Herb Ripper is that I can take it apart and throw it in the dishwasher if need be and it will shine like brand new. I am not joking, this thing is AWESOME!!!!!! I haven't been this stoked about a product since I bought the Mighty. After dozens of purchases, both grinders and Portable Vapes, both products check all of my boxes!!!!!!!

Kevin, the owner of the Herb Ripper is a local guy from Kentucky who runs a family owned company. Super nice guy and seems to really care. He's just started out and I think if he plays his cards right can really have a great thing going for him. He's got all the tools to make this in house and in the U.S.A. That alone was really cool to me. My family owned a business in Connecticut for 48 years so I always like to support the small, family businesses if I can. It makes it really easy when the product is just plane Great!!!!

I will say that I liked the Brilliant Cut Grinder! It worked as advertised. It was a pain to clean but so are all my other grinders, past and present. Stainless steel in my opinion is far Superior. I don't really shop price and am a firm believer of buying once, cry once. I don't have to look, read, research, again about what's going on in the grinder world anymore. Just waiting for an upgraded or Mighty II to be released (one can dream, right?)

Thanks for this. I actually have a Lift 4 piece that I really love. It also has a threadless design which I can't go without. I feel the same way about my Lift as you do about the Herb Ripper it seems. I looked at that too when making my purchase but I liked that Lift didn't have traditional teeth making cleaning a lot easier.

I just got a second hand BCG that will be arriving tomorrow. I just wanted to try it out to compare to Lift and will most likely sell it sometime shorty after receiving it. Moot for you I'm sure but Lift is coming out with all SS version soon and I'm eyeing that one as I really want an all SS grinder too.

Ralph

I considered the Lift after using it at my friends house. There were things I loved about it but also thought it had limitations as far as the kind of Bud it can grind. What I mean is it was kinda picky. To me, it just isn't a do all grinder like the Herb Ripper. I also liked that the Lift didn't use traditional teeth because cleaning is easier. But with the Herb Ripper, being all stainless and dishwasher safe, cleaning is no longer an issue at all!!!!!

flammy

I considered the Lift after using it at my friends house. There were things I loved about it but also thought it had limitations as far as the kind of Bud it can grind. What I mean is it was kinda picky. To me, it just isn't a do all grinder like the Herb Ripper. I also liked that the Lift didn't use traditional teeth because cleaning is easier. But with the Herb Ripper, being all stainless and dishwasher safe, cleaning is no longer an issue at all!!!!!

I honestly haven't had any issues with grinding at all with the Lift. What situations did you feel like the Lift couldn't fully deliver? Curious...going to look at the Herb Ripper again...like you, I also like supporting smaller operations. Lift fit the bill but is just our northern neighbor. That doesn't bother me as its made of high quality material and anodization seems on point too.

Ralph

I think it's actually more aluminum on aluminum wear than the anodizing, but just my opinion.
That could be but it's not worth the risk . I vape because its a healthier option so if I can avoid anything that can cause harm down the road I try my best to go that route. Stainless is the best route in my opinion for peace of mind and function!

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
That could be but it's not worth the risk . I vape because its a healthier option so if I can avoid anything that can cause harm down the road I try my best to go that route. Stainless is the best route in my opinion for peace of mind and function!

I’m not trying to change your mind - I totally respect whatever is right for you.
But FWIW, at the request of a fellow FCer, I microwaved a decent amount of abv to see if any metal was being shaved off by the Brilliant Grinder.
No sparks or smells or explosions ensued.
(Tbh, I have no idea if that is even a good test to find out such a thing, but thought it worth bringing up.)

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Hey Folks,

You made my GRAS sense tingle :smug:

flammy

I’m not trying to change your mind - I totally respect whatever is right for you.
But FWIW, at the request of a fellow FCer, I microwaved a decent amount of abv to see if any metal was being shaved off by the Brilliant Grinder.
No sparks or smells or explosions ensued.
(Tbh, I have no idea if that is even a good test to find out such a thing, but thought it worth bringing up.)

I think this issue is largely over blown especially when you're speaking of higher quality grinders. Aluminum indeed is bad to consume which is why aluminum grinders are typically coated for protection sake. If there is any cause for concern, you should first notice it in the grinder with the anodization wearing off. For additional precaution, wash before first use.

Grinders also typically use plastic rings that are meant to mitigate aluminum on aluminum friction. Additionally, the most common places where aluminum rubs against aluminum is away from the area where the herb is kept.

What I'm curious about when it comes to the Herb Ripper is whether or not it employs any innovations that deal with typical grinder gripes. The one thing that sounds interesting is the sand blasting of the interior...I wonder if that actually works to prevent resin from sticking to the metal. I don't consider the all SS build to be that innovative since other grinders have done the same but I can see the value in it.

I am still curious about where and how the anodization on the BCG wore off. Was it maybe ISO soaked for too long? That seems to be the most likely scenario.

@billyg I'm still a little curious about what you mean here. What do you mean when you say that the Lift can't handle certain buds as well as the Herb Ripper can. I'm sure the HR is a great grinder but how is it better than the Lift from a grinding perspective. I'm asking because if you can convince me, I'll buy one as it was one of the ones that I was looking at when I bought my Lift.

flammy

Good question, I wondered the same thing. I ended up throwing it out (as I usually do once my ABV container is full).
But if someone has a suggestion, I am all ears!

Do you collect your ABV and then toss it without consuming it?

flammy,

Ralph

I think this issue is largely over blown especially when you're speaking of higher quality grinders. Aluminum indeed is bad to consume which is why aluminum grinders are typically coated for protection sake. If there is any cause for concern, you should first notice it in the grinder with the anodization wearing off. For additional precaution, wash before first use.

Grinders also typically use plastic rings that are meant to mitigate aluminum on aluminum friction. Additionally, the most common places where aluminum rubs against aluminum is away from the area where the herb is kept.

What I'm curious about when it comes to the Herb Ripper is whether or not it employs any innovations that deal with typical grinder gripes. The one thing that sounds interesting is the sand blasting of the interior...I wonder if that actually works to prevent resin from sticking to the metal. I don't consider the all SS build to be that innovative since other grinders have done the same but I can see the value in it.

I am still curious about where and how the anodization on the BCG wore off. Was it maybe ISO soaked for too long? That seems to be the most likely scenario.

@billyg I'm still a little curious about what you mean here. What do you mean when you say that the Lift can't handle certain buds as well as the Herb Ripper can. I'm sure the HR is a great grinder but how is it better than the Lift from a grinding perspective. I'm asking because if you can convince me, I'll buy one as it was one of the ones that I was looking at when I bought my Lift.
I only used the Lift a few times with a few different strains, all having various degrees of stickiness and some nugs that were whole but very dry. I'm not saying that it didn't work but I found the grind consistency to be a little inconsistent especially if the bud didn't need to be cut like I think the grinder was designed. I don't honestly remember what plate was used. I liked the grinder but I definitely don't think it's worth the money. I love the Herb Ripper. It screams quality. I don't want have to think about Aluminum, coating, anodization , color, etc... It's stainless steel and safe. To me that's worth the price of admission.

I forgot to mention that I also found the Lift accumulates kief or that it sticks to the inside of the grinder and the blade way more than the Herb Ripper! So far the Ripper stays very clean comparatively. I think the sandblasting process really helps with that!!!! I would like to re-visit my time with the Lift and put it through its paces a bit more. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ralph,
Reactions: BigJr48

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
Do you collect your ABV and then toss it without consuming it?
Sadly, yes. I tried a few things when I first started vaping, several years ago, but it was always hit or miss for me. Sometimes I got way more high than I wanted, sometimes nothing. Occasionally it was just right, but not often enough.
So I just sort of gave up.
I still collect it and whenever I get a new vape, I use ABV to condition it. And I always tell myself, this time I will try something new when container is full but alas, I always end up throwing it out.

flammy

Sadly, yes. I tried a few things when I first started vaping, several years ago, but it was always hit or miss for me. Sometimes I got way more high than I wanted, sometimes nothing. Occasionally it was just right, but not often enough.
So I just sort of gave up.
I still collect it and whenever I get a new vape, I use ABV to condition it. And I always tell myself, this time I will try something new when container is full but alas, I always end up throwing it out.

Edibles are a tricky little beast. I think determining proper dosage is a common complaint for edibles. You could try adding it to tea in small doses to figure things out but that will be a crap shoot from cup to cup since you aren't homogenizing a large batch of abv into one solution. I infuse coconut oil and then that can be used for any number of applications such as edibles or even balms.

Interesting concept of using abv to condition new vapes. I use CBD.

Top Bottom