Herb Grinders

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I just gave mine a brush out so I could have a good look inside & compare. Having used mine at least once a day since early January it does have some scratches/scuffs in the same area but I am not concerned with them as they are no where near as deep as the ones @Dramma Lamma posted. It could be because mine is charcoal so they don't look so obvious as on black :shrug:.

Best bet would be to return it to the head shop where you purchased it & replace/refund.

TheVaporist

Man is a universe within himself
At this price tag it's sad to see the coating going away, especially if he can end in our lungs...

If the coating is getting away, you are grinding metal against metal, but a proper microplasmic process can resist up to 1300 kg/mm2, so there is a real problem to see that the SLX coating is getting away with such a little strength on it...

TheVaporist

No, that's not true. There's enough clearance on any decent grinder to prevent contact when grinding, no matter how much anodizing is removed.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was trying to say that the missing anodizing may be the consequence of the metal friction (if a tolerance is bad in exemple or it may be a solid particule too) and a problem in the microplasmic process.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
I had some of the anodizing come off on one of my SCS on the threads when screwing back together before. Similar to what has been described with the slx. Made a loud squealing noise.

As I might have mentioned before I have gone back to using space case grinders. The regular aluminum ones not the Ti. The quality of machining just seems a notch above everybody else. They always seem to work and I have never had a defect or any sort of inconsistencies. The grind is just not fine enough for a lot of vaporizers. I use the volcano grinder to get a really fine grind after running through the space case.

I think the perfect Grindr for me would be a spacecase with the inside surface the black Ti (for non stick)but the outside regular silver aluminum ( looks better over a long time of use) and the teeth like SantaCruzShredder! (I don't think a half/half anodizing process is possible though)

whatitdew,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
That sucks that the coating is flaking off. I'm still using my Ti space case I bought years ago. The only time any of the titanium coating has worn is because I scratched it with a metal tool (never again). Ti coating isn't like normal aluminium anodizing which actually involves putting plastic over a dye coating.

I highly recommend Space case as I have never heard of one breaking under normal use. My only complaint is it's a coarse grind that is more suited to smoking than vaping.

Winegums,

TheVaporist

Ti coating isn't like normal aluminium anodizing which actually involves putting plastic over a dye coating.

Anodizing aluminum doesn't involve plastic but an electrolytic reaction wich lead the aluminum to be coated with oxyde.
As for the dye it's achieve by making the metal porous through anodizing and the use of dye.
Then the surface is sealed generally using Teflon (wich is not "plastic") or nickel but this is not needed if there is no dyes involved, wich is why I never buy dyed aluminum :)

Last edited:

max

Out to lunch
Pretty sure the aluminium SC's are clear anodized anyways?
The shiny silver looking ones, yes. They're all aluminum, no matter the color (aside from the odd zinc/chromium alloy models, which result in a much heavier grinder).
The only time any of the titanium coating has worn is because I scratched it with a metal tool (never again).
The titanium coating on the SC grinders does not hold up to scratching. The plain silver colored models hold up better, looks wise, unless you're really careful.
Ti coating isn't like normal aluminium anodizing which actually involves putting plastic over a dye coating.
The Vaporist is correct. Anodizing does not involve plastic in any way, shape, or form. It's produced with acid and electricity. Various sealing compounds may be used, depending on the anodizing application, but petroleum products are not involved.
http://www.anodizing.org/?page=what_is_anodizing

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The titanium coating on the SC grinders does not hold up to scratching. The plain silver colored models hold up better, looks wise, unless you're really careful.

The titanium holds up just fine even with mild scraping. Just don't use a sharp corner.

The Vaporist is correct. Anodizing does not involve plastic in any way, shape, or form. It's produced with acid and electricity. Various sealing compounds may be used, depending on the anodizing application, but petroleum products are not involved.
http://www.anodizing.org/?page=what_is_anodizing
Eh? The sealing product is plastic. Aluminium is very limited in the electro anodizing. They basically acid etch then fill the pores with dye and coat it with plastic to seal it.

Winegums,

max

Out to lunch
The titanium holds up just fine even with mild scraping.
"Mild" is subjective. If you're careful it does fine, but it doesn't come close to a few other brands I've found, as far as being scratch proof.
The sealing product is plastic.
Technically teflon is plastic, but it's not exactly used interchangeably. We have enough issues with people viewing the space age, high temp plastics used in vaporizers as the same stuff used for children's toys, etc.

waxdab23

Can anyone provide a comparison of the Gr8tr and SLX?

Edit: also, the difference between the solid body and jar Gr8trs? Can't really tell on their site.

Last edited:

kellya86

Herb gardener...

Edit: also, the difference between the solid body and jar Gr8trs? Can't really tell on their site.

Just be aware that the gr8tr warranty isn't worth shit if you live in the UK and the customer service was shit for me.

I'm still sitting here with an inferior, defective product, and nothing I can do about it.

Volo retail are not helpful.

Last edited:

TheVaporist

Just be aware that the gr8tr warranty isn't worth shit if you life in the UK and the customer service was shit for me.

I'm still sitting here with an inferior, defective product, and nothing I can do about it.

Volo retail are not helpful.

Your story with the Kannastor's consumer service isn't good and I'm really pissed for you, but with a similar problem, on a neighbor country, the consumer service was golden, with plenty of mail and a warranty replacement without boring me w even if the problem took one month to get resolved...
You should really try to get in touch again with them.

As for a difference with the solid body and the clear one, one is full aluminum where the herb fall, and the other have a part made of acrylic.

Although for the SLX, he have a ceramic coating making it non sticky, and the gr8tr have a special grinding system (MTP system) wich is almost frictionless and provide an even and fluffy grind each time, changeable plate for different grind consistency ( changeable screen too, for kief consistency)

Last edited:
TheVaporist,

sickmanfraud

Their website is horrible. It shows the price without really explaining why I should trade my money for their grinder.

sickmanfraud,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Technically teflon is plastic, but it's not exactly used interchangeably. We have enough issues with people viewing the space age, high temp plastics used in vaporizers as the same stuff used for children's toys, etc.
No shit Teflon is plastic, don't push the stupidity of others on me because they don't know that there's thousands of different plastics and blends.

I'd also like to point out that you hope it's Teflon they use and not some other product. Who knows if some grinder company wants to make a quick buck and use a cheaper sealant.

Adobewan

No shit Teflon is plastic, don't push the stupidity of others on me because they don't know that there's thousands of different plastics and blends.

I'd also like to point out that you hope it's Teflon they use and not some other product. Who knows if some grinder company wants to make a quick buck and use a cheaper sealant.
Easy bro. The friendly, joking vocal intonation you were applying didn't come across in your typing.

Adobewan,

max

Out to lunch
Uninformed or misinformed isn't the same as stupid. With that kind of thinking then every single person on earth qualifies as stupid, since nobody is omniscient.

Since here at FC we don't appreciate members calling people stupid and fear mongering about grinder companies, I'd appreciate it if you'd take those kinds of comments to some other forum or keep them to yourself. Our rules aim for peaceful discussion and harmony on the forum, not needless anger and disruption.

OyVape

Thank you guys for keeping things civil. There are a lot more things in the world worth getting pissed about.....

But I digress. I'm just reporting that so far my new SLX 2.0 seems to be fine. No coating coming off. Only used it a few times yet so time will tell. It is likely part of the same batch as the one @Dramma Lamma got, since we ordered within days of each other from the same vendor.

In any case, @Dramma Lamma, do contact Oron Mati at vape-smart.com. Use the contact page. He has always responded pretty quickly and is helpful. If you got a defective unit, it's reasonable to ask for a replacement.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Compared to many of my previous lifestyle choices if I vape a fragment of teflon or grinder coating in a 1/100,000 chance it is a risk I am willing to take. I can't see how you would shed any of the teflon strip in 90% of grinders anyway. By vaping alone you are a more civilized cannabis consumer interested in harm reduction rather than a combusting savage from unenlightened times.

If anyone gets a grinder that is defective please return it to the place of purchase. Exercise your consumer rights if you can & are able to. I received a Space Case that was defective & was told by forum members that I would get nowhere trying to return it. Not only did I get a refund but because the vendor was helpful I spent twice as much on a new grinder & they even applied the Black Friday discount for me in January.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Anyone else still have a Mix N Ball grinder? I'm using mine right now because I decided I want to try to collect kief again. :)

Vicki,
Reactions: max

max

Out to lunch
Anyone else still have a Mix N Ball grinder?
Yes- several sizes. Nano to MegaLeaf. The 2 pc. Classic is my favorite. Still my favorite all time brand by a mile. Best grip (both sections, not just one) and best anodizing I've found. Hard to beat that flat, matte finish for long term looks. Mine still look like new after 7-8 years. Love the offset teeth too, as well as the 'no o-ring' design. Then there's the multiple, removable screen options on the screen models. A real quirky brand and I have yet to find another I like as much. Too bad the guy didn't have his business model up to the standard of his products.

kellya86

Herb gardener...
So after 2 months of being strung along and lied to by volo retail, I sent a slightly shitty email explaining how I'd been very patiently waiting and getting nothing back from them, by even an email without me sending one....

I told them how I felt about their customer service, as a UK customer...

The next day I received a tracking number, and this morning I had to pay £23 to release from customs...

So mixed feeling really, I understand the gr8tr is not sold in the UK so they have gone the extra mile to sort this out, on the other hand, don't offer a warranty if you can't honour it...but they have in the end... but it's cost me....

This has been an awfull purchase of an otherwise quality product....

Suppose I got unlucky....

Top Bottom