Herb Grinders

UPDATE FOR THE SPACE CASE:

I posted a picture a day ago asking if my Space Case was authentic. The reason I did this was because the logo was in a white font. I ordered my grinder from Speedy Prime on Amazon. They had 99% positive feedback and 100+ reviews. I emailed them and they got back to me immediately, which is a good sign. They told me that Space Case came out with a new logo and they gave me a contact number for customer service.

I called Space Case and they did confirm with me that a white font is normal and that it is on their newer grinders. It is apparently "Laser Engraved", and just by running my finger against the font, it feels like the logo has its own texture separate from the grinder's material. The representative told me that it would not wear off.

So, for any people buying a newer edition of Space Case, expect the font to be quite different from the pictures you see online.

DeltaGunner

Proud owner of the first ESV 2.0
After buying an Elevape SV I was in the market for a good new grinder. First wanted to buy the Cali Crusher Homegrown but a few things put me off:
1. I read numerous reports saying the anodized coating started to rub off on people and it affected the quarter turn lock system.
2. more reports about the grind being not that impressive
3. price
4. I don't really have a need for a kief catcher anymore but I find 2 piece grinders not perfect for me as well.

The choice for SCS was easily made after that. I went and bought the SCS 3 piece matte black 2 1/8". This baby looks pretty, feels sturdy and grinds fantastic.

y3g0Oi6.jpg

lXsP159.jpg

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
I've had my grinder for over 20 odd years now and in that time nothing has really changed much, the majority of newer grinders have very similar set ups, teeth and holes.
I've seen and used one of the electric ones and it was poor. It looked like a handheld fan with a blade and jar added.

I posted a while ago about the Pensimple one and at the time I wasn't convinced.

But since joining FC the one thing I've had my eyes opened to is the number of MMJ users here. In the UK nearly everyone I know of who uses our favorite plant is a 'stoner'. MMJ users are few and far between.
I've had to re-think things. I now look at all vapes and accessories with a different eye.

Pensimple?? I'm still in a quandary.
If it does work reliably, no gumming up, wet or dry grind, and easy clean then I can see this appealing to the less able and the 'stoner'.

What do you think folks??

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
All it is is a fancy electric dispenser bro. The top part is a manual 2 piece micro grinder that looks to be a total waste of time due to the size. You then decant into the hopper & when you press the button it dispenses the ground herb. If it worked like a 3 piece grinder it may serve some purpose but it is really a pen sized battery operated ground herb dispenser.

It would be a good solution for loading large chambers, bowls, spliffs etc but could you see a VapCap being loaded by one for example?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
I have been really happy with my SLX grinder until I saw this. The finish is rubbing off. I bought this through Amazon but I may contact the company. It cost $50. I've had it a couple months is all. When I used a Qtip on it there was black on the Qtip. I thought maybe it was something that would rub off but it didn't. Really disappointed.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I have been really happy with my SLX grinder until I saw this. The finish is rubbing off. I bought this through Amazon but I may contact the company. It cost $50. I've had it a couple months is all. When I used a Qtip on it there was black on the Qtip. I thought maybe it was something that would rub off but it didn't. Really disappointed.

After @Dramma Lamma posted concerns about this over in the E-Nano thread I checked mine out and noticed similar wear on the coating, and also noticed it turns the q-tip black. My wear is on the outside lip of the top piece of the grinder, not inside the bottom piece like pictured.

I am concerned about this too, especially if small particles are being mixed in with my herb and then I'm vaping said particles. I think I will probably contact the company myself.

In the meantime I bought a large titanium space case from Puffitup. It should be here today.

kellya86

Herb gardener...

Sorry to see that @CarolKing, especially at that price....

Are you thinking it's counterfeit or that you have a defective, but genuine slx?

CarolKing

I have no idea if it's counterfeit. I can contact Amazon since I bought it through them. I think the company needs to know this is happening. I agree, I don't like the idea of vaporizing the flecks of coating. Another thing I use my ABV sometimes for edibles. I may need to throw out my ABV from the last couple months?

Edit
I contacted the company. We will see if I get a response. I asked about if it could be a fake? I was checking into a return from Amazon too. After 30 days it looks like a big pain in the ass. I will do it to recoup my $50. They just credit your credit card. I have Amazon Prime so no shipping fees anyway.

Last edited:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I have no idea if it's counterfeit. I can contact Amazon since I bought it through them. I think the company needs to know this is happening. I agree, I don't like the idea of vaporizing the flecks of coating. Another thing I use my ABV sometimes for edibles. I may need to throw out my ABV from the last couple months?
Same thing here with the edibles. I may have been eating the coating which is an unsettling thought. I've only had mine for a couple months as well.

I also purchased mine through Amazon. It was the smaller size and I ordered the large, but I never thought it was counterfeit. The actual construction is very high quality.

It's a shame because the grinder works really well.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Either I got lucky or the charcoal colour hides blemishes better. Mine has scratches & scuffs on the wear areas from plenty of use. Mine looks like Carols but clumps of grinder hash stuck on not flakes of coating coming off.

I can't say I feel bad for spruiking it here as mine has been damm impressive but it is concerning to see more than a couple having issues. Any concerned owners should contact the company directly & let them know what is happening.

CarolKing

I can't believe I've already gotten a response from SLX Grinders on a weekend. They wanted me to send in a picture and they will examine it. Then they will send me the damaged replacement. They responded within the first couple hours - wow!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I can't believe I've already gotten a response from SLX Grinders on a weekend. They wanted me to send in a picture and they will examine it. Then they will send me the damaged replacement. They responded within the first couple hours - wow!
Thanks for the heads up. It's good to know they responded so fast. Hopefully it was just a bad batch or something. I really don't go through that much material so I'm surprised to see it wear so quickly.

Upon further inspection I noticed a spot in the middle section as well, in addition to the spots on the top section. I don't know how I missed it before, it's pretty big.

Top section:

6lIVD4K.jpg

qsyergt.jpg

Middle Section:

fUM201Y.jpg

CarolKing

SLX contacting me again after I sent them a pic. Quick response. The person told me that there was an error during the curing process. It caused the weak adhesion on the inner lip. I sent them my address and they will be sending out the replacement part right away.

I'm hoping that this will take care of the problems. I really do like the grinder. I don't need to send anything back to them. So far I'm happy. They said I could continue to use the grinder because it's made with food grade materials. Not sure if I will do that.

@Vapor_Eyes make sure you contact the company so you can get a replacement.

George1151

I've had some problems with the Gr8tr and the grinder disk (removable) unscrewing/loosening which results in poor grind and need to unscrew bottom and re tighten disk. They replaced it without wanting the old one in return and new one has same issue.

Still not sure if it the design or debris getting in the threads that screw the disk into the body and/or the threads that screw the bottom (into the body). Once it starts loosening a thorough cleaning is required and still not sure that is the fix.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
SLX contacting me again after I sent them a pic. Quick response. The person told me that there was an error during the curing process. It caused the weak adhesion on the inner lip. I sent them my address and they will be sending out the replacement part right away.

I'm hoping that this will take care of the problems. I really do like the grinder. I don't need to send anything back to them. So far I'm happy. They said I could continue to use the grinder because it's made with food grade materials. Not sure if I will do that.

@Vapor_Eyes make sure you contact the company so you can get a replacement.
Thanks again for your posts @CarolKing! :tup:

I sent them an email very late last night Saturday. I heard back from them 9 hours later, Sunday morning.

They also requested pictures and my address, saying they would send out replacement parts once they analyze the pictures.

I sent them the requested info and heard back just over an hour later, saying the same thing as @CarolKing's response.

Other than that there were no questions asked, they didn't ask where I got it or for proof of purchase or anything. Just an immediate response offering to resolve the issue promptly. They seem to really care about making customers happy no matter what. So far I'm really impressed with the customer service. :clap:

On a side note, I got my large titanium Space Case yesterday, and boy is that thing huge. I knew it would be big, but damn... :o

I think it could grind my SLX possibly.

ZMov03i.jpg

y4stftY.jpg

wYC6RvD.jpg

I put two grams in at once and it wasn't even stuffed full. It just chewed through it with minimal resistance.

Grind size was really nice and consistent, a little finer than my SLX.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase. It'll be interesting to see how often it requires cleaning, I've heard mixed reviews of the titanium coating's effectiveness. I really like the black color which was part of the reason I went with Ti.

I think the SLX beats it in build quality, smoothness of threads, and the texture of the SLX feels much nicer in the hand. The slight knurling on the top piece of the SLX provides better grip when grinding. I also prefer the threadless screen design of the SLX. It's like a 3.5 piece grinder versus my 4 piece Space Case.

Eventually I will probably get a medium 3 piece Santa Cruz Shredder and then I will be set for life. :cool:

Last edited:

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Just caught up on all this slx drama and am discouraged from making it my next grinder. Glad they are backing everyone but seems like a high fail rate considering the small number of purchasers in this thread... I really wanted a nonstick option. Is there anything else out there besides slx and sc offering that feature?

@George1151 and gr8tr- this is so overly complicated and overengineered, and this is coming from an engineer! So many parts to fail...

Boreus

Looking for a recommendation for a new grinder. I have a SCS but the teeth seem to be chipping and SCS is giving me the run around so I'm not too big on getting another right now even though it was my favorite.
I vape most of the time but kind of hear the Space Case isn't the best grind for that.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Looking for a recommendation for a new grinder. I have a SCS but the teeth seem to be chipping and SCS is giving me the run around so I'm not too big on getting another right now even though it was my favorite.
I vape most of the time but kind of hear the Space Case isn't the best grind for that.
I just got a Space Case so I can't speak to longevity or anything, but the grind size works well with my vapes, which are primarily convection. If you have a conduction vape that requires a very fine grind than it may not be best for you.

I've used the Space Case grind to great success with my E-Nano, Sticky Brick and Junior, my VapCaps, Grasshoppers, and CFX.

Vapor_Eyes,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
My primaries are my Air, Ascent and my xmax so I think I lean more the conduction side.
I don't have a SCS but my impression is that the Space Case provides a slightly finer grind than that, so you should be fine.

You could always get a two piece grinder or grind upside down, that will allow for a finer grind. Some people use the Magic Flight finishing grinder for their conduction vapes.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
Space case grind is not that fine. Space case also can leave more of the bb sized chunks. That's my only issue with them. SCS is a better grind for most conduction vapes.

You can also get a cheap storz and Bickel volcano grinder and do a 2nd grind after to get it super fine.
@Vapor_Eyes yeah I ordered the same space case and sold it not long after as it was so huge. The medium size works fine for me as a 'large' grinder.
Right now I own 5 space cases and two SantaCruzShredders. A little excessive haha. All of them purchased in the last three years besides an ancient Ti spacecase I keep around just to show people how good it still works 10 years later.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
@Vapor_Eyes yeah I ordered the same space case and sold it not long after as it was so huge. The medium size works fine for me as a 'large' grinder.
Yeah, it's definitely a beast, possibly overkill, but I like it. I've been using pre-ground more lately so it's nice to be able to quickly grind up a large amount.

I just got notified that SLX is shipping my replacement parts. It's been less than three days since I contacted them, I'm very pleased with the promptness of service.

Top Bottom