Herb Grinders

EverythingsHazy

My $10 coffee grinder from Kmart was a beast of a thing. Maybe I should break that out again as I like a fine grind.
Yea, I personally believe that since we aren't burning away the outer layers of the pieces of bud during the vaporization process, starting with the smallest pieces and most surface area, is the best for maximum efficiency.

virtualpurple

Man, that looks pretty innovative. Wish I wasn't so tapped out, no way I can get in on this campaign.

Let me know if you get one/how it performs!

I pulled the trigger on this one. I like the concept and am interested to see how it performs. I watched a youtube video by straincentral where the reviewer discusses his experience (States he wished he would have used it sooner so it could have topped his 2015 gift guide.). I think its worth the gamble.

rizzo

I love good grinders and want to tell you about Compton Grinders. For those of you who haven't had the good fortune to use one, you're in for a treat. Compton Grinders are not only innovative; they are incredibly well built…they are built like a tank. The medium grinder has the ability to be attached to the Compton Vault which is designed to store and lock your ground up material. Compton Grinders have an area where they deliberately did not leave teeth to enable easy loading. The 4 piece model comes with a tool that makes removing or changing the screen a breeze. The section below the screen has curved edges which many grinders do not have. It makes it much easier to remove the material that gets to the very bottom. I really like the way Compton put notches on the top and bottom of their grinders in order to give you a better grip when grinding. When you turn the Compton Grinder it has a great feel almost like it has ball bearings. I’ve used every top end grinder you can think of. I have used The Space Case, Santa Cruz Shredder, Phoenician, Mendo Mulcher, Mix-N-Ball, to name a few. The Space Case is a good grinder, but the Compton Grinder has never left BB size chunks that weren’t ground, like the 4 piece Space Case does. In addition to that the Compton Grinder grinds your material to a more uniform consistency. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING, and their products are built to last a lifetime; best of all they are built right here in the U.S.A. Ever since I got a Compton grinder my Space case has been gathering dust. Here is a link to their website: https://comptongrinders.com/ Do yourself a favor, get a Compton Grinder; I know you're going to love it!

I have to be honest I love the tie dye Compton grinder ,but found customer service far from outstanding .there website is not compatible with ordering from another country and their PayPal is only setup for us transactions. .i explained this dilemma and received very little in the way of solution. There email response was brief and very late. Nice product ,difficult to purchase.

Tehmongoose

I like to hi
If you bought it from Amazon, you didn't buy it from SCS. Many or most of the vendors on Amazon refer to small SCS as medium.

Having read this entire thread, I'm inclined to think SCS may have called their 53 mm grinder medium when the company was new (less than five years ago), then changed it to small fairly early on.

If you look at the Santa Cruz Shredder website, you won't see the word "medium."

Regardless, you got a very good grinder.
I guess puffitup has it wrong too, they also sell, gasp have Mediums! They only sell scs's in small medium and large. Strange. And I measured mine. It's 2.2. I guess that makes mine a "small".

Tehmongoose,

KimDracula

I pulled the trigger on this one. I like the concept and am interested to see how it performs. I watched a youtube video by straincentral where the reviewer discusses his experience (States he wished he would have used it sooner so it could have topped his 2015 gift guide.). I think its worth the gamble.

I've seen a couple of YouTubers with that one. I couldn't tell if it the product was fine and consistent enough for most vapers or not, but the unique design is very interesting. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of it.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
I guess puffitup has it wrong too, they also sell, gasp have Mediums! They only sell scs's in small medium and large. Strange. And I measured mine. It's 2.2. I guess that makes mine a "small".

When I looked at the puffitup website (immediately after your most recent post), I saw no indication that they even carry Santa Cruz Shredder. You confuse me.

Chezgreendream

First the flavor, then the buZzz settles in....
Hello everyone, I have been reading through this thread and there are plenty of great suggestions, though now I have read so many suggestions I am indecisive on which grinder I want.

I was using the volcano acrylic grinder, but after a vape session, I had a lingering tatse of plastic in my mouth, I started to do some research and read that plastic grinders are suspect to leave plastic materials behind and mix with the herb. Hopefully this was not the case with me, but I threw it out and immedeatly ordered this Golden Gate aluminum grinder I saw on amazon.

It has plenty of great reviews, but when I got it I inspected it entirely and looked at the teeth and some of them are not smooth, but rather it looks like metal that been scrapped and I fear some aluminum shavings might mix in with my herbs.

I was looking for a decent priced, 2 piece, medium sized grinder. I was interested in sharpstone, even though I have read many great reviews, there are some that state that the grinder may have chipped on them through use. Please help me choose a grinder that works like its supposed to. Thanks alot.

Chezgreendream,

Aimless Ryan

The reviews for essentially all cheap grinders on Amazon are bought. Whenever there are hundreds of reviews for any single model of grinder, most of them are not real. Which can be confirmed by reading them.

If you're interested in a 2-piece, you can buy the best grinder available for just a few dollars more than a cheap one.

I won't try to influence you much, but Santa Cruz Shredder and Space Case are the most popular. Just don't get a large Space Case unless you need a huge grinder, and don't even think about buying a mini 2-piece Santa Cruz Shredder.

j-bug

The reviews for essentially all cheap grinders on Amazon are bought. Whenever there are hundreds of reviews for any single model of grinder, most of them are not real. Which can be confirmed by reading them.

If you're interested in a 2-piece, you can buy the best grinder available for just a few dollars more than a cheap one.

I won't try to influence you much, but Santa Cruz Shredder and Space Case are the most popular. Just don't get a large Space Case unless you need a huge grinder, and don't even think about buying a mini 2-piece Santa Cruz Shredder.
What's wrong with the mini SCS? I was specifically thinking of buying one but was coming to this thread to see if anyone had anything to say about them or about other similarly priced grinders.

j-bug,

Aimless Ryan

There's just no way to get any leverage with the mini 2-piece SCS. It feels like trying to turn two quarters, but with half a gram of plant matter providing a ton of resistance. First of all, there is no knurling on the bottom piece. SCS's knurling is awesome, but not when it's not there.

I think anyone who has ever used one would agree with me. (That's all I've ever read, anyway.) Might as well spend $5 more for small, which works just fine.

MinnBobber

@j-bug ,
the mini 1 5/8 inch size is just too small for many, like Ryan posted above.
Unless you really need such a small size, like a compact travel grinder, the next size up works much better IMO. The small is 2 1/8" is an ideal size for many.

I love the small 3 piece. If you don't want/need the 4 piece with screen/kief compartment, check it out!

Aimless Ryan

I don't think mini is any more useful for travel than small. Small fits into a pocket just as well as mini, but small is also useful for grinding herbs.

While I was away, I decided to grind half a gram in my small 2-piece SCS, to compare it to the small 2-piece Space Case, which I used a couple days ago.

The SCS gave me a finer, more consistent grind, while the Space Case might feel a little better in the hands. I think the biggest lesson for me, though, was that I really don't care to use a 2-piece grinder ever again.

Aimless Ryan,

SKvape

I just bought a 3 piece santa cruz shredder from a LHS. I noticed the o-ring fits very loosely is this normal? Just holding the top piece in my hand I can feel it move back and forth slightly and it moves when grinding.

Last edited:

MinnBobber

Mine has a black O-ring that has some movement, but not a lot.

The 3-piece design does not require a tight seal there. Note that top piece has a skirt which reaches well below this O-ring. So, it's more for "dry lubrication" to let you grind smoother / with less friction.
So it's a true "sealing O-ring" that needs to be tight.

Have you tried it yet??
Compared to my other grinders, the SCS feels like it has roller bearings-- :)

MinnBobber,
Reactions: SKvape

SKvape

Mine has a black O-ring that has some movement, but not a lot.

The 3-piece design does not require a tight seal there. Note that top piece has a skirt which reaches well below this O-ring. So, it's more for "dry lubrication" to let you grind smoother / with less friction.
So it's a true "sealing O-ring" that needs to be tight.

Have you tried it yet??
Compared to my other grinders, the SCS feels like it has roller bearings-- :)

I just tried it and it is night and day difference between my cheap grinder I picked up at a gas station. Good for my arthritic hands and I like that there is only 3 pieces so I don't have to worry about pushing against a screen when loading e-nano stems.

MinnBobber

....and I like that there is only 3 pieces so I don't have to worry about pushing against a screen when loading e-nano stems.

And notice how the bottom chamber has a rounded "corner" bottom. If you want to take a "finger pinch" it doesn't have that deep recess, angle edge you can't get to.

MinnBobber,
Reactions: SKvape

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I was looking for a decent priced, 2 piece, medium sized grinder. I was interested in sharpstone, even though I have read many great reviews, there are some that state that the grinder may have chipped on them through use. Please help me choose a grinder that works like its supposed to. Thanks alot.

If you are after a 2 piece the New Vape models look to be the ultimate as the new models have a thick side lip to separate the edge from the grind chamber. Here are some videos of the old models & it seems like they made the new version bigger for grip purchase. I have serious regrets not getting one compared to my SC Ti 2 piece. In fact it looks like the "Ti" has "chipped" off some of the teeth but I will give it a proper clean first & then investigate further.

Either way get a NV grinder especially if you like the fine grind of the S&B plastic one & are only after a 2 piece. This is something you should only have to buy once.

https://www.newvape.com/fine-grinder-titanium-gray-2726/

https://www.newvape.com/grinder-2-piece-coarse-3-2661/

If I have to replace my SC I will be back to the old dilemma of 2, 3 or 4 piece but completely agree on 4 pieces being easier to get leverage on. My el cheapo 4 piece is considerably easier to grind initially with than my SC & the SC is bigger.

Chezgreendream

If you are after a 2 piece the New Vape models look to be the ultimate as the new models have a thick side lip to separate the edge from the grind chamber. Here are some videos of the old models & it seems like they made the new version bigger for grip purchase. I have serious regrets not getting one compared to my SC Ti 2 piece. In fact it looks like the "Ti" has "chipped" off some of the teeth but I will give it a proper clean first & then investigate further.

Either way get a NV grinder especially if you like the fine grind of the S&B plastic one & are only after a 2 piece. This is something you should only have to buy once.

If I have to replace my SC I will be back to the old dilemma of 2, 3 or 4 piece but completely agree on 4 pieces being easier to get leverage on. My el cheapo 4 piece is considerably easier to grind initially with than my SC & the SC is bigger.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did some research and SC had alot of great reviews, so I went ahead and ordered a space case medium 2 piece, didnt see the silver one, since it was sold out, So I went and ordered the titanium one, since it boasts that it wont flake or shave.

Then I went on the net to read more about it and I see that many people have had issues about it flaking. Now Im having buyers remorse :(

Last edited:
Chezgreendream,
Reactions: Stevenski

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
Thanks for the suggestion. I did some research and SC had alot of great reviews, so I went ahead and ordered a space case medium 2 piece, didnt see the silver one, since it was sold out, So I went and ordered the titanium one, since it boasts that it wont flake or shave.

Then I went on the net to read more about it and I see that many people have had issues about it flaking. Now Im having buyers remorse :(
I never experienced flaking of any sort with my Space Case or Santa Cruz Shredder.

Chezgreendream

I never experienced flaking of any sort with my Space Case or Santa Cruz Shredder.

How long have you owned yours? Do you grind whole buds, meaning with the stems?

I was thinking that the ones that are supposedly chipping/flaking, might not be the real deal, with the exception of not so common, damaged grinders.

Last edited:
Chezgreendream,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon

Then I on the net to read more about it and I see that many people have had issues about it flaking. Now Im having buyers remorse :(

I have read a few different accounts & the suggestion is that it does not happen to genuine SC Ti's. I buy 90% of my vape supplies through a reputable vendor & my grinder was no exception. I am concerned that it is not isolated to just the top of the teeth but I do clap the two pieces together 4 or 5 times when I open & remove the bud so maybe that has caused it as 95% of the chips/scratches are on the top edge of the teeth? Either way I expect I will be purchasing a new grinder in my near future.

The SC tends to gum up pretty quickly (certainly quicker than a 4 piece) but none appear to be immune to gumming up except maybe the New Vape ones.

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
How long have you owned yours? Do you grind whole buds, meaning with the stems?

I was thinking that the ones that are supposedly chipping/flaking, might not be the real deal, with the exception of not so common, damaged grinders.
Space Case for years, SCS maybe a year and a half. I usually remove extra stems but don't when I want to do a lot.

KeVo23

NewVapes grinder is awesome....as far as 2 piece grinders go I think they have the most innovative and we'll designed grinder. Its well made and functions really really good with the extra leverage design! And btw they're customer service is spot on.

Top Bottom