Herb Grinders

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
That video makes me want that grinder that much LESS.... maybe it is just me, I know it was brought up a while back

My position is to keep all particles- Everything inside my grinder.

It is just my theory:
Nothing is ever lost from turning mine upside down. BUT a ton of particles and materials are lost over time when using trays like the one in the video above. Scraping your material together on that tray also builds up residue over time on the tray (depending on the amount of your usage), and also on your cards or whatever else you use to scrape your material around. The less I handle and move my material, the more pollen I get. That said, I find the most efficient and loss-less method is simply to not handle anything at all. Grind, then use the straw method to pack.

NO TOUCHING for me Please.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I have a Ti SC 4 piece, the small one that runs for like $65-$70, I have owned it a year plus and it is the best grinder I've ever owned, it works just like day one and I have never had it really stick up. Just when I overload it, and once it crushes through it, then its smooth sailing once again :) Only downside is I froze it a few times and shook it, got loads of kief, but it doesn't churn out as much kief as it used too since doing that IMO (used to churn out a decent bit just stock) It's pretty small, but I dig that, holds a lot in the chamber.

Would a SCS be worth it? They look pretty sleek/nice, just don't really know if something I need to add. I certainly wouldn't freeze it just since I've done that to the SC, but is the grind really different enough to provide something? I would like to try it just for that reason kind of, just don't know if I really should.

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
That video makes me want that grinder that much LESS.... maybe it is just me, I know it was brought up a while back

My position is to keep all particles- Everything inside my grinder.

It is just my theory:
Nothing is ever lost from turning mine upside down. BUT a ton of particles and materials are lost over time when using trays like the one in the video above. Scraping your material together on that tray also builds up residue over time on the tray (depending on the amount of your usage), and also on your cards or whatever else you use to scrape your material around. The less I handle and move my material, the more pollen I get. That said, I find the most efficient and loss-less method is simply to not handle anything at all. Grind, then use the straw method to pack.

NO TOUCHING for me Please.

I always decant from ginder to bowl but that may be a hangover from 20+ years combustion :shrug:. I consume at least 1g a day but 2+ lately so cannot be opening up my grinder all the time. For gods sake man I am a stoner & a lazy one at that. Once I receive the SLX I will be giving it a heavy workout over the next few days for evaluation purposes.

It appears one of the most impressive parts of the grinder to me is it's Achilles heel for others (being the slip in screen). I am most interested to see the coating TBH. If the heaviest cleaning it will require is a brushing then the coating will be key over the product lifecycle. Apparently this will cause the kief to slide down the grinder & what I can see was enough for me to choose this over any other grinder I could easily source (GR8TR, SCS, Compton, SC).

Thanks @MoltenTiger . I had disregarded this grinder a few times but that ceramic coating made me :drool:

@HellsWindStaff if you already have a nice SC 4 piece maybe a SCS 3 piece is the cure for your ailment? Or take a punt & order a SLX? Or get a GR8TR for the ultimate in grinding versatility. Whatever you do get something that will be different to your SC as spice is the variety of life.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Thanks @MoltenTiger . I had disregarded this grinder a few times but that ceramic coating made me :drool:

It's much nicer picking out chop from a bowl than from the grinder screen. And I agree, it's nice to still have use for all the sweet op-shop bowls I've got over the years :)

I'm really interested in how you find the SLX, I'd own one myself if I wasn't broke atm!
I'm still yet to see my mates, but he is still very happy with it. One thing he has mentioned is how it makes a 'fluffy' mix, which is better suited for a cone piece he has with a pretty big hole. I would guess turning it upside down for a few turns would obviously make the grind much finer. I think having the ceramic will make this even easier than a normal grinder. He seems pretty happy with it still, I hope you find it similarly awesome.

EDIT- I've read the bottom caption/label is pretty ugly, I think PBW should make short work of getting rid of that if you're interested in doing so

Here is a video of the SLX & it just makes me want mine more.

Shiiiit, you know what sucks? Tomorrow I get a delivery from ausvapes and it won't have one of those bad boys in it. :cry:

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
It's much nicer picking out chop from a bowl than from the grinder screen. And I agree, it's nice to still have use for all the sweet op-shop bowls I've got over the years :)

The coolest most unique, classiest mull bowls I have come across have all been in Vinnies or Salvos over the years. Under $2 usually & you never know what gem you will uncover on your adventure. My bowl for the last 5 years has been a china cereal bowl & I can't bring myself to change it.

I can't wait to get my grinder & it is in an airbag right now so I should have it tomorrow. I don't really care too much about the branding though, so long as it works.

MoltenTiger

@Stevenski I love me a spacey bowl hunt :tup:

If that was the bowl from your EQ post the other day, it for sure triggered my aussie cone senses. I have had many a mix from similar :p

And yeah, not too fussed with the logo, though the one on the top I would want to like. I've got a sticker on my grinder atm, on the bottom. I think I've seen it maybe twice. I'm sure I could live with the SLX's base. Hopefully soon, reliant on your experience, I'll be doing just that :)

throwawaytre3s

I figured I should toss in a quick update. I finally ordered a new grinder, I went with a 1.5" kannastor 2 piece grinder. I love it! I was hesitant to get the smaller size, but it was a lot cheaper on my end, so I ordered it, figuring I could sacrifice size for price. It turns out it's the perfect size for one load in my EQ, or two in my flowermate! I love it, it's clean, it's very sharp, it's well made, buttery smooth spinning, I love it!

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
This just occurred to me.

You know what I would like in a grinder? Interchangeable holes.

Now that I prefer a fine grind, which I achieve by grinding upside down, I find the male edges of my grinders seem to get much more gunked up than when I grind right side up. If the holes were smaller, I wouldn't have to grind upside down. But if the holes were smaller I also wouldn't be able to get a coarse grind to fall through the holes.

I wouldn't expect any grinder company to make grinders with the option of either small holes, medium holes, or large holes. So maybe there is a way to place (plastic?) attachments just below the grinder's machined holes, to allow for custom sized grounds.

I might give this a try. I wonder if I could do it with pizza dough. (That might sound stupid, but if so it's probably because you don't realize how many ways I have drastically improved certain vape parts by using simple, easy-to-make dough made of only flour and water.)

EDIT: Actually, I could probably try this by just cutting out a piece of paper and placing it under the holes, then punching smaller holes through the paper.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
@Aimless Ryan the GR8TR comes with 2 interchangeable grinder plates

I received my GR8TR Jar grinder yesterday and first impressions are that it's tall, it has thinner walls and it's lighter than my Compton grinder.

I've been using it with the finer grinder plate and although I do like the fact that it's so customizable and easy to clean, I don't think it's going to replace the Compton as my daily grinder.

The Compton grinder is slightly wider and suits my big hands better lol.
This is just my optinion of course, but I actually prefer the weight of the Compton too as it makes me feel like it's a premium product and that it's built like a tank.

The Compton also turns *much* *much* smoother thanks to the Teflon oring.

And finally, even though it's only been a day, I can already tell that the keif from my Compton is much nicer too.
At the moment I cannot get alternative "Easy change screens" for the Kannastor here in the UK, but the 60 mesh is letting far too much plant material through.
I've tried to contact them yesterday via their website, but no reply as of yet.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

I realize the GR8TR has different options, and I'd love to get my hands on one of them. But I was focusing on how someone might make a very small change to a standard grinder, rather than engineering an entirely different grinder.

After posting, it occurred to me that the grinder I envisioned in my previous post would probably work better if the hole plate fit on top of the default holes, rather than below. Because if you put smaller holes below big holes, you would end up with coarse grounds falling into the big hole footprints, where they would stay, thus making it impossible for finer grounds to fall through the holes.

I don't know if this would work at all. But the model in my head still works, without complicating everything.

Is it seriously spelled "GR8TR"? Because that's the same thing as "grate-ter," not "grater," which would be GR8ER or GR8R.

Last edited:
Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: Pyr0

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I realize the GR8TR has different options, and I'd love to get my hands on one of them. But I was focusing on how someone might make a very small change to a standard grinder, rather than engineering an entirely different grinder.

After posting, it occurred to me that the grinder I envisioned in my previous post would probably work better if the hole plate fit on top of the default holes, rather than below. Because if you put smaller holes below big holes, you would end up with coarse grounds falling into the big hole footprints, where they would stay, thus making it impossible for finer grounds to fall through the holes.

I don't know if this would work at all. But the model in my head still works, without complicating everything.

Is it seriously spelled "GR8TR"? Because that's the same thing as "grate-ter," not "grater," which would be GR8ER or GR8R.
I think some kind of shim or plate you could drop in could work to reduce the hole size, but you would need to put a riser of the same thickness as the plate on the centre post as well to raise the teeth in the lid from the deck of the grinder.

And yeah, that is how they spell it and yeah I agree, it doesn't sound right lol

BuckyOH

I currently have a standard CNC grinder and looking to upgrade.
I've always used a MFLB and an Arizer Q extreme. I switched from the MFLB to an Arizer Air about half a year back. So, I'll be using the grinder with both my Arizer vaporizers. I don't smoke weed anymore, for years already.
I'm currently looking at the Santa Cruz Shredder 2pc 50mm, Space Case 2pc 50mm or, the GR8TR. Does anyone have advice for me? I really wish I could test all 3 but as I live in the Netherlands, I'll have to order all of the above from the UK (The whole world is getting more open towards marihuana and NL is fucking it's rules up once again :S).
I'm not really interested in catching kief. Cba tbh. I rather just have it all in my vape hit. I also like the idea of having my grinder fit in my vapecase, which can hold a 50mm grinder, but it's not a big problem if it doesn't.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great

That's about six months collection in The old style small SCS 4 piece with the fine screen.

I sold all my newer 4 piece SCS grinders. This will be the last one I own if they don't change the screen in the new ones.

It would take about half the time to collect that much kief in my 4 piece space case.

I'll try to take a pic of my space case kief dish later tonight.

Also I have never had the kief go flying around on me. I never scrap it up so it collects nice and uniform like in the photo. I always smack and shake my grinders around too. I have a jyarz satchmo half full so far of kief from my grinders I have been saving, gotta get that baby full.

I never use a coin or over grind/grind upside down. I just brush the screen out after every use and ISO wash every couple months (minus the kief chamber dish)

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

^^^Guess I'm going to have to use my mini for a while, then. It's the only one I have with an old (fine) SCS screen. What little kief I currently have in the mini's kief tray appears somewhat green, but I can see how it might look different with some accumulation. Especially since that piece is black (rasta).

Aimless Ryan,

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Just thought I would give my first impressions on the SLX I received today.

It comes in a small recycled cardboard box. Left no impression but I was far more interested in what was inside TBH. The grinder has some heft to it. Not needlessly weighty but it is obvious why the weight has gone where. The grinder weighs in at 165g with the top being 83g & the bottom 3 components are 82g combined. The teeth are similar to the SCS but tapered & the ceramic coating feels great to touch.

I broke up a 2g bud & put it in the grinder. Cranked the top 4 or 5 times & it was done. Very very smooth action. You can tell when it is done as there is no resistance when you turn it. The grind comes out very fluffy on the fine side of medium & is perfect for an Arizer Air & EQ.

This thing will be a kief collection machine I think. When I opened up the top to check if it was all ground there was a little bit of ground flower & you could see specks of kief so I tapped the grinder to let the bud fall through & all the grains of kief slid down the holes too. I lifted the hopper out to dump my bud & was astounded at the amount of good quality kief collected from only 2g going through the machine.

So far so good with the grinder though.

I currently have a standard CNC grinder and looking to upgrade.
I've always used a MFLB and an Arizer Q extreme. I switched from the MFLB to an Arizer Air about half a year back. So, I'll be using the grinder with both my Arizer vaporizers. I don't smoke weed anymore, for years already.
I'm currently looking at the Santa Cruz Shredder 2pc 50mm, Space Case 2pc 50mm or, the GR8TR. Does anyone have advice for me? I really wish I could test all 3 but as I live in the Netherlands, I'll have to order all of the above from the UK (The whole world is getting more open towards marihuana and NL is fucking it's rules up once again :S).
I'm not really interested in catching kief. Cba tbh. I rather just have it all in my vape hit. I also like the idea of having my grinder fit in my vapecase, which can hold a 50mm grinder, but it's not a big problem if it doesn't.

Owning an Air & EQ I can only recommend you get a SCS 3 piece or a GR8TR 3 piece. You won't have the kief catcher but you will have a hopper for your grounds. The SCS 3 piece is proven by the amount of positive reviews in this thread & the GR8TR is held in very high regard by the owners. If I did not take a chance on the SLX I would be in possession of a GR8TR or SCS.

One thing I have found with multiple 2 piece grinders I have used is you pretty much need a brush to brush out everything once you have ground the buds. With a 3 piece you don't have that problem but still get all the good stuff :).

DabDiva

as mentioned earlier my Pyro i also have not had any response from kannastor within the week I've waited for a reply. And all i was trying to find out were the exact details of the "limited" lifetime warranty

from these recent reviews it seems they ship out their sales on time just fine, but i guess customer service is a different department? :shrug: Lol

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I would probably send a follow up email in the warranty @DabDiva . When I was receiving 150-200 work emails a day it is incredibly easy to mark an email read & get it lost in the mix. I would be interested in what their definition of limited is though.

Most companies with a limited warranty have one in place to protect themselves against the morons of this world. You know the kind who wonder why it broke when they ground up some rocks rather than plant matter. If you had a genuine warranty claim with a company like Kannastor I would expect speedy resolution. 9/10 times a company would just send a new grinder & with a high quality grinder a failure rate of >1% would be anticipated.

Stevenski,

DabDiva

I would probably send a follow up email in the warranty @DabDiva . When I was receiving 150-200 work emails a day it is incredibly easy to mark an email read & get it lost in the mix. I would be interested in what their definition of limited is though.

Most companies with a limited warranty have one in place to protect themselves against the morons of this world. You know the kind who wonder why it broke when they ground up some rocks rather than plant matter. If you had a genuine warranty claim with a company like Kannastor I would expect speedy resolution. 9/10 times a company would just send a new grinder & with a high quality grinder a failure rate of >1% would be anticipated.

Sorry for the confusion. I actually had emailed them only because i was wanting to make a purchase (which i now have done :D) and i was wondering the full details for my future product :tup:

I emailed them again actually, and they got back to me and said their server had been down because of the holiday season and it just now got back up and running. Still waiting on their next reply with the full details of the "limited lifetime warranty", as once i hear from them i will post all the warranty details

And lol laughing my ass off! I can fully assure both of us that the only rocks going into my Kannastor will be some OG moon rocks ! :cool:

:smug:

mightyhigh

glad to see people are enjoying Kannastor - I used mine all through college and now keep it at my parents house for when i visit. I was just there for the holidays and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I love how big the herb chamber is. I retired it to my parents house though because one of the teeth bent after years of use.

update on the large Phoenician grinder I started off not loving: it has grown on me a lot. don't really use the paper holder or the ash tray much but still nice to have there. what I really love is easy unlock design. works great except that people unfamiliar with the grinder sometimes spill herb when fumbling with it. doesn't grind as well as my girlfriend's space case which i think has the perfect consistency, but the grooveless design makes up for that. the perfect grinder for me would have the easy unlock like Phoenician, teeth and durability like SpaceCSase, and a large herb chamber like Kannastor.

mightyhigh,

Pablo13

My O.G. Cali Crusher showed up

Reasonable price, magnetic lid, with a plastic washer on it for smoothness and diamond shaped teeth. I only have plastic grinders to compare to, but it has a nice smooth action (for now) and seems to grind with a medium coarseness. Threaded bits seem reasonably idiot proof.

Currently trying my best to fill the keif catcher :)

Cjisohsocool

Has anyone ever tried this grinder? Looks really different

61WQ5bskVqL._SX355_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Grindhouse-4pc-Carver-Grinder-Colors/dp/B00YAL1HTI/

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
After a week of puttin in solid work I am really loving my SLX :nod:. The buds I have been putting through it are some of the densest I have seen in 20+ years. With bud this dense you can't fill the hopper & grind but fill it say 50% & this fucker rips it up with gusto. Due to the ceramic coating it can sound a bit scratchy but the SLX is as smooth as silk & you can instantly tell when the grind is finished as it will spin with no resistance.

I have put somewhere between 15-20g through it in the last week & it has developed a very nice kief deposit already. If I put that much through most grinders I would expect some form of residue but it is as clean as the day I opened the box. At this stage I cannot speak highly enough about this grinder & have no regrets purchasing it over the GR8TR or SCS. When I turn it upside down for a finer grind I am not having kief drop through either. If anyone is after a new grinder I highly recommend the SLX :2c:

pr2j0Itl.jpg

@Cjisohsocool that looks like a good cheap grinder at $18 on this site & the teeth look well shaped. If I lived in the US I would get one just to test as if you can get it for under $20.

Top Bottom