Herb Grinders

Gaffa

Thanks a bunch for your support guys.

My question would be that the black wasn't there when I opened the grinder, and I had thought it was just some of the red residue but I tried with some alcohol and a toothbrush and it wouldn't budge. Whatever it is, it's probably scratched into the metal. Real pity.

Anyway, I'll send these pictures over to Alibongo for a replacement hopefully. Wonder if they've sold it already (as when I'd bought there would have been only one of them left). I'll keep you guys posted.

Gaffa,

°k

The sound of vapor
@Gaffa, sorry to hear about those scratches, hopefully alibongo will make it right.

On a side note I've contacted them about an orange SCS 3 pieces and if they we're considering selling some Cali crusher over here too. They've answered that color-wise they pretty much get what SCS send them and that they had looked into the CC but unless they get more requests from customers they wouldn't provide it, instead they linked me this new? brand of grinders: Phoenician Engineering and said the teeth had a rather similar design.

They do have a few features in common with the cali crusher homegrown indeed, they appear to be on the pricey end though to say the least, especially the gold plated ones... the biggest one goes for $1,495.00 :doh:
medium-4pc-grinder-24-karat-gold-plated.jpg

Their site has quite some info though like the type of material they use and how they're manufactured which is not often the case I think.

Imported on this side of the Atlantic they'll probably be too expensive for my tastes (especially if I go for an SCS soon) but I'd be interested in finding out more about their different 3 pieces.

°k,

Gaffa

Thanks for the support bud. I had actually contacted them about importing Cosmic Case grinders, but they didn't seem interested in that at all (probably due to not many people using/ knowing about/ hearing about Cosmic Case).
I'd also seen those Phoenician grinders recently added to EDIT's website (here - http://www.everyonedoesit.co.uk/online_headshop/phoenician-grinders.cfm?prodSort=pricehigh) but I couldn't justify bringing myself to buy it due to being a complete rip-off the Homegrown (Cali Crusher) grinder, with the only thing being different is the name and the grips. I'd also be interested to find how those teeth perform over time.

The largest (78mm) size is also £90 excluding shipping so certainly not cheap, and whoever purchases that $1.5k grinder can rest assured they're the only one in the world who have it!

StonedPerk

Light up the world
Doe
No problem at all... I received my Rasta model today and although I'm impressed overall, I've got a slightly major complaint. Anyone else have/ had this with any of theirs? Note, no herb had been through this - this happened just from twisting the top a number of times...

20150209_162235.jpg

20150209_162302.jpg

20150209_162312.jpg
Does that oring thingy around the base to make it turn smoother does a part of it come up? Mine does and I just got it in the mail today paid 67 off amazon. Should I return and get a new one?

StonedPerk,

Gaffa

Yeah, they're designed to give the two halves the separation so that a) there's no metal on metal contact and b) there's a smoother grind.

I have found that my o-ring washer is far from perfect - there are little "hairs" of plastic flicking up (which could be adding to the scratching being caused) and as well as this, like another member on this topic had said, it seems to be glued down (scratches + glue = medical grade??)

Gaffa,

grokit

well-worn member
No scs should scratch from turning it with herbs, or with nothing inside. If there is some sand or metal shavings in it that's a different story but it should not arrive with any foreign materials inside of it. I hate to bring this up, but has anybody checked with scs to make sure this is a genuine dealer and not k/o's?

grokit,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Gaffa

I hate to bring this up, but has anybody checked with scs to make sure this is a genuine dealer and not k/o's?

Sorry for not being too educated here, but are there actual knock-offs of these SCS grinders? And am I to assume they're made exactly the same way (teeth design, sizes, colours etc)? Thanks

Gaffa,

VANVAS

I've got the same problem with my 2 pieces SCS purchased at PV , 2 months after use it i notice i have these scratches, im trying to contact with SCS but i have no reply at the moment , anyone knows the SCS email? I had to leave a message at his web
Thanks

VANVAS,

Gaffa

I've got the same problem with my 2 pieces SCS purchased at PV , 2 months after use it i notice i have these scratches, im trying to contact with SCS but i have no reply at the moment , anyone knows the SCS email? I had to leave a message at his web
Thanks

I certainly don't think this level of grinder should be causing any scratching, but I don't think you're in as strong a position as mine. I'd like to ask though - have you had a response from SCS as yet? I know it's still early days but we can all hope!

I'd sent an email to Alibongo but the 5 pictures totalling 17mb was too much for their mailbox quota. So they asked me to send the info via Facebook to their page, and sadly the only response I had was "Hey man, no problemo.." - don't know exactly what that means.

I'd also sent a Facebook message to SCS whilst I was at it, and the response was a bit more positive: "So sorry but can you send this very same email to orders@santacruzshredder.com

thank you"

Fingers crossed. I would hate for there to be no recourse (ie refund or replacement) but I fear that if that is the case I'd have to take things further (as I wouldn't be able to use the grinder due to the high possibility of flaking and/ or damage) and it would be one of the world's more expensive paperweights! Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Gaffa,
Reactions: VANVAS

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I certainly don't think this level of grinder should be causing any scratching, but I don't think you're in as strong a position as mine. I'd like to ask though - have you had a response from SCS as yet? I know it's still early days but we can all hope!

I'd sent an email to Alibongo but the 5 pictures totalling 17mb was too much for their mailbox quota. So they asked me to send the info via Facebook to their page, and sadly the only response I had was "Hey man, no problemo.." - don't know exactly what that means.

I'd also sent a Facebook message to SCS whilst I was at it, and the response was a bit more positive: "So sorry but can you send this very same email to orders@santacruzshredder.com

thank you"

Fingers crossed. I would hate for there to be no recourse (ie refund or replacement) but I fear that if that is the case I'd have to take things further (as I wouldn't be able to use the grinder due to the high possibility of flaking and/ or damage) and it would be one of the world's more expensive paperweights! Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Email inboxes usually have a limit of like 6mb per email...
You could find a image compression website that'll compress em down a bit for you.

Or separately email each of the 5 pics :lol:

Frederick McGuire,

Vitolo

Vaporist
OR... use Photobucket....(or other Hosting service), and send them the URL of your images! (that is how I work with DHGate and companies that use browser incompatible sites)
Example:
Dir sirs... the piece you sent me is fucked up. The image can be seen here:
http://i58.tinypic.com/23hah6v.jpg

Vitolo,
Reactions: Tom Funk

Gaffa

Yeah I have my own website so uploading them in full res wouldn't have been an issue, but Alibongo had requested I send the images to them in raw format, rather than post a link to them. I understand it probably wouldn't make any difference anyway but still.

I think - if I've not heard anything more from Alibongo and if I've not heard back from SCS, I'll ring Alibongo on Monday (one week from receiving the defunct grinder).

Gaffa,

max

Out to lunch
Gaffa said:
I made this video just to ask if you think it should be spinning more freely.
Spinning freely really doesn't mean anything when it comes to grinders. All you need is no metal to metal contact when turning, and that means the teeth. Some grinders don't have o-rings so there's always contact on the rims.

Sorry for not being too educated here, but are there actual knock-offs of these SCS grinders?
A knock-off would have a different name- not Santa Cruz. And AFAIK no one has ever reported any counterfeit grinders for any brand. If you can make an SCS copy that even comes close to their product, you're better off just producing your own brand.

And am I to assume they're made exactly the same way (teeth design, sizes, colours etc)? Thanks[/QUOTE]I'd be shocked if SCS grinders aren't ALL made in the same place, with the same CNC machines. The design/machining parameters should be exactly the same for each model. If a human is involved with setting those parameters for a production run though, there's certainly room for error.

Gaffa

Thanks for all that info, max.

This is the thing that bugs me... I had taken the top section off and given a very quick look over (mainly impressed at the teeth) and then closed, started to turn, and then residue and eventual scratching.
I hadn't deposited anything in there to cause the scratching (although something could've fallen in, like a fibre from my clothing but nothing hard), and although it's possible somebody else did, I won't accuse anyone of anything as it's early days!

I'm guessing that my two top sections (grinding sections) are just "tight" hence why these marks are being produced. Would 0.5mm or 1mm of error cause this? (Sorry I'm not good with metal work at all).

Gaffa,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
'm guessing that my two top sections (grinding sections) are just "tight" hence why these marks are being produced. Would 0.5mm or 1mm of error cause this? (Sorry I'm not good with metal work at all).

Your top sections are tight because the tolerances are off. Yes, absolutely 0.5mm would throw off the entire grinder!

I would not accept any grinder which 'rubs' against itself. You should be able to freely spin the entire grinder a full 360 without feeling any major resistance. If your fresh unused grinder 'catches' on a spot or two, I would consider it defective and demand a replacement

:2c:

Gaffa

Think a "like" says it all!

Yeah just tested now - holding the gold (second section) firmly, and moving the red section left and right (not around as usual) - there is a bit of play - which is a good thing I suppose and so perhaps not as tight as I thought.

But why the damn scratching!?

Gaffa,

ovrez

Sure, I'll crack on at it.

EDIT - does this not show it?
20150209_162235.jpg

looks like the anodizing worn down to me.
the black part is delrin or some other plastic, imo
hey these are made in a machine shop and they have tolerances.
probably made on night shift after lunch break :spliff::cheers:
the red piece above could have been made .002 bigger than it should be.
the gold piece that the red piece goes into might be .002 smaller than it should be.
that would create an interference fit and could have caused the galling,what the marks would be called in the machining world.
someone would have to assemble all the pieces together, but i doubt they check for fit.
i r a machinist 35+yrs.:mmmm:

edit: just saw that you posted that it spins , it could be out of round then , or 1 piece could be out of round , causing the galling

Gaffa

Worn down on the first day. Yeah, again I admit there isn't much of a feel to the white/ silver on the red section but it's certainly not smooth.

Thanks for the info. Just hoping I get a replacement, and soon.

howie105

First, welcome here darthvapor ,thanks for the link ..I ever own a coffee grinder just like this one but this kind of electric grinder remove too much thc or (kief if your prefer) and make the herb taste wierd....when I grind up my herb my goal is to expose more surface to the heat ,not to rip off all the thc ;)

ps: what kind of vaporizer to you use ?

With respect, were dose the THC go? I have used electric coffee grinders for years and have not seen this effect. If we are talking about degradation of the THC because of extended exposure to the environment then processing as you need would seem to cover that. I am just trying to make sure I haven't been screwing myself over after all these years, I have done that before. Thanks.

howie105,

vapeppau

If the screen is removed does that mean it becomes a 3 pc?! That would be epic!

Edit
Also seems like the small 4 pc has a different hole layout than the medium 4 pc. The small one has a interesting design!
CG_SmallGrinder_20lr-425x425.jpg

Last edited:
vapeppau,
Top Bottom