• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Herb Grinders

Gaffa

Well I contacted Vapor Warehouse about an order... they told me some interesting information...

Apparently, the two creators of Space Case lost that name to their distributor and they went on to form Cosmic Case, and as time went on, one of the creators of Cosmic left to form Santa Cruz.

So with that in mind, I think any of the three grinders mentioned here should be top choices. I just think I'm swayed to go with the Cosmic Case for originality and old-times sake!

Any further thoughts before I pull the trigger on this order? Thanks all.

Gaffa

Made this video a while back about the scs(small 4 pc in video). It is the best grinder I have ever used, my sister always says "it is so quiet!".

Youtube Video

Haha yep, already watched that video, nice to put a "user" name to an almost face. Thanks for your thoughts and demo, and I've seen a fair few on the SCS.
Hardly any for the Cosmic Case though - tempts me to do a video or get a thorough review written up if I were to buy one.

Gaffa,

Kief

Medicated
Any further thoughts before I pull the trigger on this order? Thanks all.
Shred, don't grind.

Here's a gif provided by @Magman116 back on page 155 that shows how the SCS cuts your material instead of grinding it together.

LargeSCS_zps5a316ed0.gif

And this from Vitolo:
grind.gif

Note how the teeth of the Shredda have no "points" that actually approximate contact.
See also that the SCS has double points of proximity.

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
I have yet to find a SLX 206 review from a third party (well, a couple reviews on its MassDrop page), so I decided to buy one and review it.

Pictures (imgur album): https://imgur.com/a/JKjzC

Was on MassDrop, sort of an impulse buy. I have a SpaceCase Ti 2 piece.

The SLX 206 2 piece grinder has a ceramic coating to prevent sticking.

The SLX 206 is roughly 5mm shorter than the SC. Roughly the same diameter, the SC is probably 1mm thicker (maybe due to Ti coating?)

The SC is more ergonomic due to having equal sized halves. Easy to twist, the SLX not so much. When hands are a little sweaty, both are a little tough to twist.

Ran 7g through it in fast succession. Needs time to evaluate if there will be build up, but so far nothing has stuck. The grooves on the SLX are a little rough. When I did a full load test it had a little trouble turning, so the grooves gave me minor pain when I had a strong grip on it but could not turn. Not the case with the SpaceCase, much easier to grind full loads and no minor pains.

I find that for the SC, I could only get the finest grind with a full grinder, couldn't get that fine without a lot of herb. The SLX can get it really fine with small loads.

Minor points:

* rubber ring around the SLX is not attached to the base, while SC has it attached.

* Magnet is like half as strong as the SC.

* I can run my brush through the SLX base pretty easily, top half a little harder to brush. I cannot brush the SC, either halves.

* I think the bottom of the SLX is incredibly ugly with the engraving. I don't need your slogan on my shit.

TL/DR: Very good grinder for $30, not sure if I would buy it at retail ($60). Fineness of grind matches the SC, performs better or worse in certain situations.

grokit

well-worn member
I like the fact that the lid of the slx doesn't have an "inside rim" to attract gunk.
That's the only gripe I have with my scs's :\

Fenton Mewley

A man in search of cloudier pastures
I like the fact that the lid of the slx doesn't have an "inside rim" to attract gunk.
That's the only gripe I have with my scs's :\

Yeah the ceramic coated rim definitely helps. I now have some minor gunking on the lid but none on the rim. I dumped the load, put it back together and twisted the grinder. Smooth as silk. :tup:

Fenton Mewley,

StonedPerk

Light up the world
Haha yep, already watched that video, nice to put a "user" name to an almost face. Thanks for your thoughts and demo, and I've seen a fair few on the SCS.
Hardly any for the Cosmic Case though - tempts me to do a video or get a thorough review written up if I were to buy one.
does anybody know if amazon are legit with Santa cruz shredder cause I just paid 67 bucks for a medium 4 piece in gray I looked at the seller and it said Santa cruz shredder. Can anybody lemme know asap so I can cancel my order before it actually ships. This is my first grinder EVER weird cause I been with Jane so long but looking forward to new experiences with her and Santa :)

StonedPerk,

Gaffa

So I went with the SCS Rasta in Large (70mm/ 2.75").

Found a 10% discount code for that UK website and contacted them via email to see if they could scratch a few extra pennies off, and they gave me a new code for 14% off!

What's crazy is... I'm still tempted to buy the Cosmic Case in a month or so too.

Shred, don't grind.

Here's a gif provided by @Magman116 back on page 155 that shows how the SCS cuts your material instead of grinding it together.

LargeSCS_zps5a316ed0.gif

And this from Vitolo:

That's an excellent animation...
I wonder how the Cosmic Case (and Kannastor) compares, having teeth shaped like this:

Medium-Cosmic-Rasta-1-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
does anybody know if amazon are legit with Santa cruz shredder cause I just paid 67 bucks for a medium 4 piece in gray I looked at the seller and it said Santa cruz shredder. Can anybody lemme know asap so I can cancel my order before it actually ships. This is my first grinder EVER weird cause I been with Jane so long but looking forward to new experiences with her and Santa :)

Bought mine for around the same price (gunmetal gray). It had Prime shipping so I got it from there (damn my impatience and free 2-day shipping!)

My SCS certainly appears authentic. Has all the proper engravings, has the proper teeth pattern, spins freely, and the build construction is perfect. Mine even came with a crappy pollen press which I'll never use lol

Delta3DStudios,

StonedPerk

Light up the world
Bought mine for around the same price (gunmetal gray). It had Prime shipping so I got it from there (damn my impatience and free 2-day shipping!)

My SCS certainly appears authentic. Has all the proper engravings, has the proper teeth pattern, spins freely, and the build construction is perfect. Mine even came with a crappy pollen press which I'll never use lol
Lol me to gunmetal gray and a cali crusher pollen press lol maybe I should have gone with the all red that came with that special kief pick but whatever, I mm finally gonna own my first grinder ever in my life :) plus I been reading a lot about grinders and I see I been wasting sooo much money without one plus I just recently converted over to vaporization and firefly Is my first vape ever and I now know grinder and vape go together like peanut butter and jelly. I didn't go for 2 day amazon prime shipping :/ what was i thinking

I don't know if this has been posted up here before but I just ran across this that I thought some of you may really like. Pretty innovative, if ya ask me.

It's about how to clean a grinder and reclaim. Yeah, it's a bit of chore, but an interesting method nonetheless. Check it out:
---------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to clean a space case grinder & screen encrusted with thc!

Boil a saucepan of water
Put in some butter- I used about ⅛ of a stick
Stir the butter around so it melts
Put in the separate pieces of your grinder
The butter stays mostly on the surface so you’ll want to stir it around and scrub it with a toothbrush or scrubbing brush of some type, make sure the butter gets on the surfaces of the grinder
Leave it to soak for 15 mins
Come back and give it a thorough scrubbing. The impacted thc dust will flake off with remarkably little effort.
Remove the grinder pieces. Leave the pan of buttery water to cool.
When it is cool, put it in the fridge. The next day, the cannabutter should have separated to the top of the water and you should be able to scoop it out. Delicious on toast, or bake biscuits!
In the meantime, Boil some more water and soak & scrub your grinder with detergent to clean off the greasy butter.
Then you’ll want to soak & scrub again in clean boiling water to ensure no detergent remains.
Behold your clean-as-new space case and lump of cannabutter!
WARNING!!! Depending on how encrusted with thc dust your space case is before cleaning, the butter you make may be extremely potent! Don’t give it to newbs
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Would this also work with a Santa Cruz shredder? I just ordered my first grinder ever so just wanted to know if this would pertain to mine as well

Last edited by a moderator:

°k

The sound of vapor
So I went with the SCS Rasta in Large (70mm/ 2.75").

Found a 10% discount code for that UK website and contacted them via email to see if they could scratch a few extra pennies off, and they gave me a new code for 14% off!

What's crazy is... I'm still tempted to buy the Cosmic Case in a month or so too.

That's an excellent animation...
I wonder how the Cosmic Case (and Kannastor) compares, having teeth shaped like this:

Medium-Cosmic-Rasta-1-3.jpg
Could you let us know what UK site you got it from please? I've been considering getting a 3 pieces scs for quite a while but couldn't manage to find a site outside north America and didn't want to double the price of the grinder with shipping and customs taxes.

Gaffa

Could you let us know what UK site you got it from please? I've been considering getting a 3 pieces scs for quite a while but couldn't manage to find a site outside north America and didn't want to double the price of the grinder with shipping and customs taxes.

Alibongo.co.uk

Here's the three different coloured, 3 piece models they have in-stock: http://www.alibongo.co.uk/catalog/a...csid=ad9179d8881710a5d5442de0dac69d79&x=0&y=0

And remember, use discount code "GROWPON" for 10% off.

°k

The sound of vapor

Gaffa

Thanks a lot, I had seen the 4 pieces ones back then but they didn't have the 3 pieces at that time. Will I be strong enough to wait for them to get the orange one? :D

No problem at all... I received my Rasta model today and although I'm impressed overall, I've got a slightly major complaint. Anyone else have/ had this with any of theirs? Note, no herb had been through this - this happened just from twisting the top a number of times...

20150209_162235.jpg

20150209_162302.jpg

20150209_162312.jpg

Gaffa,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
You're not the first with that issue - not sure if it's just a bad batch of SCS grinders, or the occasional defect. In either case, there have been one or two other reports on this thread - all of which were resolved

An unused perfectly made SCS should NOT rub - it should spin very easily. Given the price of these grinders, I would complain to the vendor and demand a replacement.

:2c:

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
No problem at all... I received my Rasta model today and although I'm impressed overall, I've got a slightly major complaint. Anyone else have/ had this with any of theirs? Note, no herb had been through this - this happened just from twisting the top a number of times...

20150209_162235.jpg

20150209_162302.jpg

20150209_162312.jpg

Yeah, I would definitely get a replacement. I've ground at least a half pound through mine and it's still perfect. I just clean it with ISO every once in a while.

Gaffa

Thanks guys.

Called Alibongo, they said that I should sit with it, twisting it to see if it still happens and then send them over a picture and they'd rectify it. Fingers crossed.

Yeah mine doesn't "spin freely". As soon as I let go, it stops. I made this video just to ask if you think it should be spinning more freely.

Vitolo

Vaporist
It does not appear to spin too freely. It looks like it spins easier than most.
Metal grinders do not spin loosely when released, as some plastic ones can.
Try a toothbrush with Iso on the discolored ring on the red piece.. or a towel with Iso..
I can not be sure but that ring looks like it could be herbal matter smashed well down onto the surface.
I could of course be wrong, High definition photos would be more revealing as far as the condition of that red top portion.
Can you get us a large close-up of that area?
The spin is fine.

PS--- That black residue is really going to be weed.
High def will show you that also... better than the naked eye can.

Vitolo,
Reactions: Gaffa

NinjaMindTriks

Ninja Vapor Enthusiast
Thanks guys.

Called Alibongo, they said that I should sit with it, twisting it to see if it still happens and then send them over a picture and they'd rectify it. Fingers crossed.

Yeah mine doesn't "spin freely". As soon as I let go, it stops. I made this video just to ask if you think it should be spinning more freely.

Judging from the pictures, it looks like it is really scratched. You could try cleaning it with some ISO, but it seems as though yours is defective. Mine freshly cleaned spins like it's on ball bearings. The pictures alone should be enough to get a replacement or refund.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Judging from the pictures, it looks like it is really scratched.
I would try to clean it .. and see if it is a deposited substance or scratch
I may agree with @NinjaMindTriks but it is a rough call for sure.
I will say that a replacement is in line if you feel it at all inferior.
My units are 2 piece units.
They both do not spin like on ball bearings, even after their periodic Iso bath... but they
spin about like I see @Gaffa 's spin in the video.
If Alibonga said they would rectify.....
...get it done.
Send them the picture, and they will rectify to your satisfaction.

EDIT:
Thanks for extra pictures.
That black is weed... but that damned scratch inside is not!

They should replace your unit!
I now agree with @NinjaMindTriks

Last edited:
Vitolo,
Reactions: Gaffa
Top Bottom