Herb Grinders

Pickz

Vapes on vapes on vapes!
Just received my Jumbo 2 Piece SCS and its name does not lie, this thing is jumbo! My stash is pretty low at the moment so I can't fairly compare it to my Space Case. Needless to say it made quick work of what little I did have. It feels very solid too. It is quite heavy and the magnet is very strong. Here is a pic of it in my hand (I'm 6' 1" and have average size hands, this thing is just huge):

scs_zps7ec09d09.jpg

Here it is compared to my medium Space Case:

scsandsc_zps4c8151af.jpg

exit

That huge SCS looks pretty cool. The SCS the only grinder i've ever seen that I would compare a mendo mulcher too.

Shame Mendo's site is temporarily down... hope it's temporary... and if not, thank the grinder god I already have a 2.5" doublethick! I bugged him over email a few times to see if he'd make a 3.5" doublethick but he kept telling me "maybe later..." :lol:

exit,

Detonator

That huge SCS looks pretty cool. The SCS the only grinder i've ever seen that I would compare a mendo mulcher too.

Shame Mendo's site is temporarily down... hope it's temporary... and if not, thank the grinder god I already have a 2.5" doublethick! I bugged him over email a few times to see if he'd make a 3.5" doublethick but he kept telling me "maybe later..." :lol:

[
So does the mulcher grind it finer? Im new to grinders, whwt makes your grinder great? Is it sharper? I want to know.

Detonator,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The Mendo Mulcher grind is not what I'd consider to be 'fine'. It's a medium grind IMO that is very consistent. I really like the grind I get from my MMs, but if I need a finer grind (LB for example) I grind further with scissors.

:peace:

exit

oops sorry thought i posted this a few hours back! never hit reply

my fave things about a mendo...

everything you put in come out super fluffy. i would NOT call it fine as i have used grinders that make finer powdery result. most grinders i find just chop it up. it doesn't ruin the texture. some grinders i think make all weed feel shitty. this is probably the most subjective point

it tears thru anything. you stuff it completely full, stems and all, once you get the two halves put back together it's like a breeze. even stemmy shit comes out fluffy with a few little stems you can pick out.

also just feels really nice. both as a grinder itself it has a lot of weight, and its grinds very smoothly. when you get one/see one there is no question there is a lot of skill involved in making them.

i just see people spend almost twice as much on space cases and sharpstones and don't get it. a lot of my friends have space cases and sharpstones and whatever but i honestly don't feel like they do any better of a job of grinding than cheapo ebay/free with your vape/head shop no name metal grinders. the consistency of flower after you grind it in all of those seems to be the same to me. space case makes it a little fluffier than other brands i think, sharpstone and others turns it into micro mulch imo.

also what's the point of breaking up weed so you can grind it? if im breaking up a nug by hand, i might as well break it all up by hand (and i will) to maintain that "fluffy light" consistency!

itschad

Anyone recommend a grinder that will lead to a more powdery grind than my cosmic? I've got a large and it's *great* for doobies and everything but I want a smaller one to get herb super ground for my hercules chamber

itschad,

DeltaNine

oops sorry thought i posted this a few hours back! never hit reply

my fave things about a mendo...

everything you put in come out super fluffy. i would NOT call it fine as i have used grinders that make finer powdery result. most grinders i find just chop it up. it doesn't ruin the texture. some grinders i think make all weed feel shitty. this is probably the most subjective point

it tears thru anything. you stuff it completely full, stems and all, once you get the two halves put back together it's like a breeze. even stemmy shit comes out fluffy with a few little stems you can pick out.

also just feels really nice. both as a grinder itself it has a lot of weight, and its grinds very smoothly. when you get one/see one there is no question there is a lot of skill involved in making them.

i just see people spend almost twice as much on space cases and sharpstones and don't get it. a lot of my friends have space cases and sharpstones and whatever but i honestly don't feel like they do any better of a job of grinding than cheapo ebay/free with your vape/head shop no name metal grinders. the consistency of flower after you grind it in all of those seems to be the same to me. space case makes it a little fluffier than other brands i think, sharpstone and others turns it into micro mulch imo.

also what's the point of breaking up weed so you can grind it? if im breaking up a nug by hand, i might as well break it all up by hand (and i will) to maintain that "fluffy light" consistency!

I previously owned a Cali Crusher metal 4 piece from ebay. After the first month, every 2-3 uses would severely stick the grinding rotating piece on top. (Grind was perfectly good though, as you stated)
I replaced it with a medium 2pc space case, which I am happy to say does not jam up this often. I have had the spacecase for 7 months or so now, and it has never jammed to the point that I had to clean it. I have had to force it through a jam twice, but I could do it by hand and it worked fine after. Cali Crusher would have to get an iso bath.

Here are my 3 grinders currently in use.
-The space case was first, and is very durable with a decent grind. Nothing special, but its a durable grinder that cost me 25$ on sale. (Medium 2pc Titanium)
-Volcano Herb Mill, Honestly haven't had to yet, but it looks like it will need to be replaced at least once a year. I use this most often lately for vaping. Nice fine fluffy grind.
-Sweetleaf Studded grinder. These are WAY underrated/sold. Pins are my FAVORITE style of teeth, as you can grind any bud (dry/moist) way easier than any grinder with teeth that have a flat top. You can put a 2g piece of material, solid, in the center of the grinder and crush the 2pc together, 3 spins or less and you have a consistent medium/small grind.

Note that I am not saying sweetleaf is necessarily amazing in any way, mine happens to be good however only one week old. I am simply saying pins as teeth are a great type of grinder, and a 15 year old acrylic grinder with metal pin teeth my friend owns is evidence.

3ei5.jpg

Just to demonstrate the consistency of ground herb with each, here are 3 photos.
(PS Herb used in each grinder is all the same.)

80w8.jpg

fcu3.jpg

nz96.jpg

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Delta9 U came u saw u conquered! I must say I have been very impressed with your first few posts. Keep up the informative posts!

SSVUN~YAH,
Reactions: DeltaNine

Ricchini

so I got a Sharpstone with the handle on it and it does well. But I hear a lot of people talking about the Santa Cruz Shredder and since I just found a great dispensary in Santa Cruz, and I have recently found a nice beach in Santa Cruz wear the locally didn't seam to mind me using my Solo openly on the beach while kickin back, I am thinking I want to know more about this shredder. Are the the best? I know it is often ya da ya da personal preference ya da ya da, but seriously there is all ways special things that stand out as being better than others. I haven't smoked in a while now so I am thinking of upgrading my grinder but really I like this clear top sharp stone with the handel, just want to know if there is something better

Here's what I'd say separates the Santa Cruz Shredder.
They re-thought and re-engineered the teeth on the grinder so that its a concave square tooth. The reasoning is that it cuts both ways, and it should stay sharp indefinitely. In addition, and maybe the most important; it's impossible for any of the metal edges to snap off the grinder's teeth and get little flakes of aluminum inside of your herb blend, which typically happens with normal shaped teeth on a grinder. The biggest and most noticeable thing about using a SCS is how perfectly fluffed your herb is after you shred it. Definitely the result of those square teeth cutting and shredding multiple ways. You wont find any BB sized chunks of herb that fall through, and it wont grind too fine, leaving you with a sub-par result. You get excellent results every single time.

The magnets that hold this thing together are also of very high quality. Even if there's a chunk of herb accidentally compressed in the middle, the magnets still hold it together. Lastly, the company takes great pride in promoting this as a truly medical grade grinder. They ultrasonically clean it (like jewelery) to ensure that no toxic machining lubricants or metal polish, or anything else is on the outside or inside of your grinder. I believe their company is ISO9001 certified, meaning they go to great lengths to make sure their product is held to the absolute highest standards of quality control.

I definitely recommend one. I have not tried a Mendo Mulcher, Space Case or any of those other grinders, so I can't really comment. I don't plan on trying any of them either because I'm all set, I have nothing left to desire in a grinder. My Santa Cruz Shredder(s) satisfy all my herb shredding needs and desires.

exit

You say that, but one day you'll try one of those nicer grinders and see what you've been missing out on ;)

exit,

DeltaNine

You say that, but one day you'll try one of those nicer grinders and see what you've been missing out on ;)

I was comparing my grinders to ebay grinders, as a way of saying no they are not of the same quality.

Not comparing them to a mendo mulcher or SCS because I have never even held one.

DeltaNine,

exit

I was comparing my grinders to ebay grinders, as a way of saying no they are not of the same quality.

Not comparing them to a mendo mulcher or SCS because I have never even held one.

I was talking to Ricchini, but I hope you get a chance to try out one of those other grinders soon!

Moreso, I really really really hope Mendo isn't out of business for good!

exit,

ou812?

Newbie Vaporist here, do most dry their herb before grinding?The herb I get is usually cured well and always containing more moisture toward the center and when grinding does seem to clump together more and very little kif collecting.I figured in my combusting days I never purposely dried out my stash, the fresher the better, is it what most do ?

ou812?,

SSVUN~YAH

I keep mine in jar or sifter box, night before will grind up a gram and let sit overnight for next days use.

SSVUN~YAH,

exit

Newbie Vaporist here, do most dry their herb before grinding?The herb I get is usually cured well and always containing more moisture toward the center and when grinding does seem to clump together more and very little kif collecting.I figured in my combusting days I never purposely dried out my stash, the fresher the better, is it what most do ?

Nope, but I keep my stuff in mason jars, and after a few days it becomes kind of "dry" and "crispy" but not in a bad way. It really grinds to a fine powder then. Buy a thing of mason jars on Amazon Prime ;) I think the end result is much nicer than just leaving your bud out to dry. It gets a little stale if you leave it sitting out.

exit,
Reactions: ou812?

SSVUN~YAH

I agree, what I meant by sit overnight was, sitting grinded up in my grinder. Also your local dollar store probably has good enough jars for 5 bucks a case, I never purchased them but see them there all the time, it looks like a dozen to me shrink wrapped in a cardboard sleeve...

SSVUN~YAH,

DeltaNine

I agree, what I meant by sit overnight was, sitting grinded up in my grinder. Also your local dollar store probably has good enough jars for 5 bucks a case, I never purchased them but see them there all the time, it looks like a dozen to me shrink wrapped in a cardboard sleeve...

Or, if not, I recently found Mason Jars on sale at a hardware store for 3-5$ depending on size. They came in cases of 12 exactly as SSVUN described I believe, with several sizes. I use 12 or so small Mason jars (smallest) and each one can hold about a 1/4 of a different Herb. The cardboard sleeve is actually a nice way to grab your whole stash out of a cupboard or something and look at the top of all 12 jars so you can easily read the labels and pick your herb to sesh on.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Anyone recommend a grinder that will lead to a more powdery grind than my cosmic? I've got a large and it's *great* for doobies and everything but I want a smaller one to get herb super ground for my hercules chamber

coffee grinder all the way if you want a really find grind....

The vape specific mendo that I have has smaller holes and produces a finer grind with a fair amount of effort.

The Coffee grinder can turn sticky bud into dust or about anything in between.

$14 from amazon is hard to beat.....

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...8-11&keywords=Black+and+Decker+coffee+grinder

ru_frothi,

Live-N-Learn

Higher, Higher, Baby...
So I almost broke my hand trying to open my SCS just now. The kief part opens easy, as does the top, but the middle piece where all the goodies at is stuck. Any ideas on how to open it up?

Live-N-Learn,
Top Bottom