Herb Grinders

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Well, after a few days, I decided that the shredder is definitely my choice for a great grind...
I still love my 2 piece small space case for my SSV, though... the shredder does so thorough a job that it leaves the herb too well ground for those GIANT wandfulls I love.
Shredder for my other vapes though at this time!

How does the grind consistency compare to the MFLB finishing grinder? For example, do you think using this grinder and the MFLB finishing grinder would be overkill?

Vicki,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Anyone have any knowledge of the Santa Cruz Shredder - really looks interesting. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one.

http://santacruzshredder.com/

I got sent one of these to test out. Thanks Taylor from The Other Side Vapes! Actually, it just arrived today, and have only tried it once. I am really impressed so far. The square teeth are great, and there are ALLOT of them. The first grind was better and finer than my SpaceCase has been doing. It really is a fantastic grind. Very suitable for vapor usage. Some of the best constancy in a grind I have seen recently. It seems similar to a electric coffee grinder, but with out flinging all the crystals against the side of the coffee grinder!

I want to keep using it to see how it preforms after some initial use. My only wish is that they had a larger diameter size. With my big hands the large size is acceptable (2.75inch), but a 3.5inch grinder is ideal. Maybe they will make an XL size that is 3.5 inches.

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
The large Shredder is the largest grinder I've ever owned and it worked out for me grinding up goods and pressing it into pucks with my handpress. It made real light work for me at that size making 5g pucks compared to my mediums, and I absolutely love the consistency of the grind for both those AND for vaping.

These Santa Cruz's are definitely well made precision pieces with some 'heft' to them that I really like. My only wish is that they would offer a 3-piece to store the grind as well.

smokum,
Reactions: vtac

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The large Shredder is the largest grinder I've ever owned and it worked out for me grinding up goods and pressing it into pucks with my handpress. It made real light work for me at that size making 5g pucks compared to my mediums, and I absolutely love the consistency of the grind for both those AND for vaping.

Out of curiosity, what do you do with the 5g pucks, smokum?
:peace:

Stu,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Sweet Jebus !!!.. got my Shredder in fm Planet Vape yesterday & I'm wondering why I own all my others now.

What an awesome grinder !!!

Has anyone who owns one noticed a difference of grind with a difference size unit ? Just curious, as I've found differences between other grinder sizes of the same make, and I bought both my 2pc & 4pc shredder in the LARGE size.

I cannot wait for mine to arrive!

mvapes,

smokum

Out of curiosity, what do you do with the 5g pucks, smokum?

Originally, I started making pucks for easy storing (outdoor grower), but realized that compressing the ground herb changes the entire profile (both flavor & effect) towards a more 'hash' type product. So I usually press out pucks and jar them up for further curing and easy storage.

Now, keep in mind I still combust hashes (usually import), but vape herb/flower. I found that if I do dry ice extraction runs and mix the kief in with ground flowers pressed into pucks that I can then enjoy them either way for whatever mood I'm in (where, I can't combust just herb/flowers as it chokes me).

As much as I like oils/concentrates, there's no way I can do dabs daily as they wreck me :ko:

As well, those that have come around since getting it are totally in awe with the Shredder and both it's grind and it's ease of use... so much so they want to immediately acquire one :D

On a side note, I just ordered a 10g APE press mould from ALT to play with once I rig up a press frame to use with a bottle jack..... no way I'm spending the money they want for a Jack Puck setup ;)

smokum,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Originally, I started making pucks for easy storing (outdoor grower), but realized that compressing the ground herb changes the entire profile (both flavor & effect) towards a more 'hash' type product. So I usually press out pucks and jar them up for further curing and easy storage.

Now, keep in mind I still combust hashes (usually import), but vape herb/flower. I found that if I do dry ice extraction runs and mix the kief in with ground flowers pressed into pucks that I can then enjoy them either way for whatever mood I'm in (where, I can't combust just herb/flowers as it chokes me).

As much as I like oils/concentrates, there's no way I can do dabs daily as they wreck me :ko:

On a side note, I just ordered a 10g APE press mould from ALT to play with once I rig up a press frame to use with a bottle jack..... no way I'm spending the money they want for a Jack Puck setup ;)

Thats frickin' interesting - I may have to try this, I have a small T press that could make me some micro pucks - what's your vape of choice when getting pucked up? :lol:

mvapes,

smokum

My daily vape is the Solo and it works great for me.

The only other I have is a Mystifyer (bag type vape), which I picked up a few yrs ago after going on a brain flight with a buddy's Volcano.. but ended up not liking bag vaping in the end because I felt like a young druggy and didn't like the noise/appearance in my more 'mature' aged surroundings. I like the stealth of the portable size styles much better.

I recently tried it in another friends SSV and it was awesome... and even more so when vape-bombing with it ;)

PS: I use a Sharpstone T-press myself at the moment :tup: and use it with torching for added heat with a quick freezer cool down when done.

smokum,
Reactions: Vitolo

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I recently picked up the Mendo Mulcher "vaporizer" grinder. I decided to take a couple of pictures to show the grind and hole size compared to a regular Mendo Mulcher (large 4-pc) grinder. Click on images to blow 'em up.

Enjoy!
343gfly.jpg

amqwqf.jpg

X24

I've heard some people place Mendo Mulchers ahead of SpaceCase in terms of quality.

Anybody have both?

X24,

BoldtVapor

Lost Coast Surfer
I've heard some people place Mendo Mulchers ahead of SpaceCase in terms of quality.

Anybody have both?
I had both in my hands at the local shop and choose the SpaceCase large. The Mendo was nice but the Space seemed like it had more strength to it. It was a gift for a friend and they love it.

BoldtVapor,

Your Highness

Cannasseur
I have both and they are both good. The Mendo definitely creates a very fine grind...much finer then the SpaceCase. I think i will try out this Santa Cruz one and report back. I do notice that the SC is smoother then the Mendo in terms of use but quality is top notch as far as the grind and the device for both.

Nycdeisel

Kinda been missin this thread for a while. Love you guys. Im definitely looking forward to trying out one of those Santa Cruz Shredders. After all, "If you dont use the Santa Cruz Shredder, hes gonna get you!" ;)

Your Highness

Cannasseur
Kinda been missin this thread for a while. Love you guys. Im definitely looking forward to trying out one of those Santa Cruz Shredders. After all, "If you dont use the Santa Cruz Shredder, hes gonna get you!" ;)

I just ordered the green Limited Edition large model... And hello my fellow NY Vaporist! :)

Your Highness,
Reactions: Nycdeisel

mixnball

Manufacturer
Hi All,
we have a new item out now, it's a new Mix'n'Ball MegaLeaf-S grinder. the concept is to grind as much as you can in one go. we believe it can do just about 3 grams at a time. the grinder is 80mm wide and 21 mm high. the depth is 15mm!!! thats more than the previous model in 3mm. another cool new feature is a ring which separates the rotating elements, so it's friction free. same organic coating, magnetic locking, alligator grip. its a bit heavy, about 150 gram. here is a video showing the work done so far by our designer, production starts in a few days, pre orders are acceptable and we are proud to inform there are already people on the waiting list. we have also just released a new Nano-S grinder, perfect for vapor usage. well, we will be happy to see you anyway pay a visit.

thanks
mix

It looks like a very nice design. I have two MixNBall grinders that I love. However, hey have been iffy for so long, I'm a little worried about their reliability. Meaning, if I place an order, will it actually ship? I don't remember the Nano Grinder being $30.00 either, but it has been years.

hi vicki, this is a new item out. its bigger than the nano you got ( for free?) the quality is actually higher than it used to be and we ship this out ourselves, no more unstable partners.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
hi vicki, this is a new item out. its bigger than the nano you got ( for free?) the quality is actually higher than it used to be and we ship this out ourselves, no more unstable partners.

I did get the nano for free (from you guys), but I also bought a 4 piece MixNBall grinder too. :)

Vicki,

bassplayer

I have the Mendo, a SC, the Volcano Acrylic and a Santa Cruz Shredder. I think my favorite is the Santa Cruz Shredder, it seems to be the highest quality and is super smooth. With all of them I grind upside down to get a finer grind for vaping. One thing I did notice with my Santa Cruz Shredder is that on close inspection there were a few little "hairs" attached to the top shredder teeth, they came off easily with compressed air. I'm not sure what they were, they actually looked like leftover metal shavings but I can't say for sure thats what they were, they're all gone now and since I've been using it there are no metal shavings or anything like that (maybe the stuff that was there when it was new was leftover from the manufacturing process...)

bassplayer,
Reactions: vtac

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
I have not picked up my Space Case since Taylor was nice enough to send me this Santa Cruz Shredder to test. This thing does an amazing job. I agree about having to hold other grinders upside down in order to get a good grind. With the SCS I just give it a couple turns and everything comes out beautifully consistent. I still wish they had a larger size around 3.5 inches in diameter.

Vitolo

Vaporist
BUT... the small Santa Cruz Shredder is larger than the small 2 piece space Case!
(Love the Santa Cruz Shredder, and it is easy handling for sure.)
I still use my Space Cases, but the shredder has replaced a couple of my Space Case arsenal.
If I had to choose only one, out of my 2 piece Small grinders now... as my ONLY grinder out of my entire collection... between those two, I would choose the "Shredder" without doubt.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Nice to see more happy Shredders. :D

I think that some Santa Cruz Shredders will be one of the first things I review when the review section finally launches - need to get some more first. In the meantime: Small SantaCruzShredder vs small SpaceCaseTi quick take: They're close but I'd put SCS a notch higher in terms of build quality and I like the design better. Functionally the SCS is few notches above IMO; slightly smoother action and a faster, more consistent grind.

Click twice for 1600x1200.

Excuse the dust, it's brutal with flash. Had it in my pocket - nice size.

Back to front: Medium 4pc Space Case gunmetal Ti, Pax, small Santa Cruz Shredder 2pc, small Space Case Ti 2pc

vapeguy

Hi, I have a cheap simple 4 piece grinder but would like one that grinds finer as mine is on the coarse side.

I prefer not something too expensive, are there any 4 piece grinders under $40 that grind fairly fine?

Thanks

vapeguy,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
If you really want a fine grind a two piece grinder is best regardless of the brand. I like the medium spacecase.

One tip I have learned. When your grinder gets all gummed up and gets stuck together heat it up with a torch. You don't need to get it "hot" just really warm. It will then self clean as you grind and as a bonus it smells really good. :)

X24

These two-piece Space Cases and Santa Cruz Shredders are extremely tempting... I was always under the impression that 2 pieces weren't worth it though, since they get gummed up faster, bud sticks to both pieces and there's no convenient way to load a stem from the grinder.

But that price and quality, not to mention the ability to easily adjust grind consistency.

X24,
Top Bottom