Herb Grinders

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey guys, been looking for a descent grinder. I just bought one of those small electric hand held jobs and not impressed. Need to cut it down to small pieces before you can even get it to turn.
Anyway. looking at something like Sharpstone or equivalent like this one.
But kind of like a more heavy duty one..
Any grinder experts out there?
Pipes

Pipes,

SmokingElectricity

Hey guys, been looking for a descent grinder. I just bought one of those small electric hand held jobs and not impressed. Need to cut it down to small pieces before you can even get it to turn.
Pipes

these are heavy duty, have a lifetime warranty and are very affordable.
http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Chr...d=1343532963&sr=8-1&keywords=chromium+crusher

i've been using them for years and they hold up very well.

SmokingElectricity,
Reactions: Vicki

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Pipes

I agree with SmokingElectricity. I would also stay away from grinders like the ones you posted. The clear top is a novelty feature. and not sturdy. I had teeth breaking off in the first day.

Vicki,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Crank handle types also are not reliable, like the clear top ones. Best get a grinder cut from one piece of metal. I use a Space Case 2 piece grinder and it works great for me
Just searched for Space Case 2 and looks OK. Really don't need the screened compartment anyway. The reason I want to go with the crank is I have had many outside twist types and they all seem to sticky up around the edge. Continuous cleaning is a bitch. Adding a drop of PG on the lip temporarily helps but was hoping to get away from that style. The small hand held electric I just got seemed like a good idea but in fact is under powered and the plastic chamber threads get sticky and hard to use right out of the gate. Do good quality ones exist? Maybe a glass chamber and more torque?
Thanks for the help,
Pipes

Pipes,

Nycdeisel

Maybe dry your herb some more. And all grinders have to be cleaned at some point, or just take a q tip with iso around the inner edges. the 2 piece works great and shreds through herb easily and quickly, and you get a very even consistency, and I much prefer it over a 4 piece or any other grinder.

Nycdeisel,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
Just searched for Space Case 2 and looks OK. Really don't need the screened compartment anyway. The reason I want to go with the crank is I have had many outside twist types and they all seem to sticky up around the edge. Continuous cleaning is a bitch. Adding a drop of PG on the lip temporarily helps but was hoping to get away from that style. The small hand held electric I just got seemed like a good idea but in fact is under powered and the plastic chamber threads get sticky and hard to use right out of the gate. Do good quality ones exist? Maybe a glass chamber and more torque?
Thanks for the help,
Pipes

Pipes you need some grinder grease from Puff It up..... Put this on the male edge of your grinder and it will glide like a champion. Consider a large 3" or larger grinder really helps with torque and tough to grind up herb. Much more durable than the crank models since its solid CNC'd aluminum.

a B&D Coffee grinder is the super serious and super fine grinder for me when I want that level of grind. I did order some of these little electric jobs posted in the last few pages from ebay but it hasn't arrived yet....

Grinder Grease:
http://www.puffitup.com/Grinder-Grease-Lube-for-your-Grinder-p/grindergrease.htm

PIU's grinders are good for the money too but not large in diameter.... like this...

This grinder is a bargain IMO at less than $25. Its not the best quality alloy I've ever seen and its way too tall (easy to solve. I removed the coarse sceen chamber which makes it a 4 peice and much more managable).

$(KGrHqJ,!jYE2HeyFNbFBNuru7d93Q~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300552296256

The grind is coarser than my Mendo Mulcher VAPE specific grinder (smaller holes) but you can grind up a large volume of herb quickly and easily without needing super strong hands.

When I'm at home. I run everything through this grinder first and run herb for vaping versus rolling a 2nd time through the mendo mulcher 2.25" to get my perfect medium fine blend for my Solo, Thermovapes, etc...

The smaller size of the mendo makes it my choice for travel too....

peace

ru_frothi,

Spiritwalker

Pipes, like you I can't stand the ongoing maintenance of grinders, so just use a coffee grinder now and I will never look back. You can get your grind as fine as you like, and lots kif just naturally separates. not to mention it was only $10 at the grocery store. You will still have to clean the lip from time to time, because the sides where it meets the grinder unit do get gummed up slightly, but over a loooong time and it's as easy to clean as popping in the dishwasher.

Curious, for CNC grinders, how well does the dishwasher work to clean off all the resin?

Spiritwalker,

Nycdeisel

Dont put in the dishwasher. is my advice.

It takes me at most 5-10 minutes to FULLY clean my grinder with iso alcohol, and i dont use any tools to help clean it, just iso and some shaking and then a lot of rinsing with hot water.

Nycdeisel,

Spiritwalker

ya that 5-10 mins is a royal pita for those that use alot of herb, that means cleaning near daily, not to mention poorer performance as it gets closer to cleaning time. Different strokes for different folks, I just prefer the ease and consistent grind of a coffee grinder personally and think pipes should try it.

Spiritwalker,

djonkoman

I just clean the rim of my 2-pc grinder often, the rest can wait longer only the buildup on the edge hinders perfornmance. with previoyus grinders I've often had comments that they turned so smooth, just because I keep that buildup a little under control(just scraping it off with a nail sometimes already helps)

SmokingElectricity

if you brush your grinder out after every use, the gunk build up is reduced greatly as is the need to iso soak it. i use these, they come with hair clippers. much more useful for grinders than clippers imo.

DSCN0356.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
ya that 5-10 mins is a royal pita for those that use alot of herb, that means cleaning near daily, not to mention poorer performance as it gets closer to cleaning time. Different strokes for different folks, I just prefer the ease and consistent grind of a coffee grinder personally and think pipes should try it.

Daily.... Been using my mendo mulcher for a couple months now and have ground several ounces of herb and it doesn't need cleaning. works like a champ. Never cleaned once.

a little grinder grease on the edge keeps it all working like a champ....

ru_frothi,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I use the SC titanium grinders and keep them in the freezer. Using them frozen improves performance, much easier on the arthritic hands, and keeps cleaning to a minimum, so far once/year. Stuff seems to have a harder time sticking to that finish when its cold, not sure why.

Spiritwalker

Daily.... Been using my mendo mulcher for a couple months now and have ground several ounces of herb and it doesn't need cleaning. works like a champ. Never cleaned once.

a little grinder grease on the edge keeps it all working like a champ....

Perhaps my meds aren't that dry.

Spiritwalker,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I use the SC titanium grinders and keep them in the freezer. Using them frozen improves performance, much easier on the arthritic hands, and keeps cleaning to a minimum, so far once/year. Stuff seems to have a harder time sticking to that finish when its cold, not sure why.

Do you keep it in the freezer all the time, or do you just put it in the freezer for a while before grinding?

Vicki,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I keep them in the freezer full time.

Edit: Also, I should point out that I am liking the 2 piece better. If you store your 4 piece in the freezer, it will desiccate your medicine in it. This will drop a whole lotta kif, but what is left will be pretty spent. The thing that amazed me was my VapeXhale Cloud extracts what is left in this medicine quite nicely.

Spiritwalker

ok so i'm wondering if using a coffee grinder will "destroy" any actives due to the "turbulance" and violent grinding action? Or is it all good, just use the separated kif and nothing is destroyed?

Spiritwalker,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
It's all good.

I guess the more finely coffee powdered it is and the longer it's left like that, then the more oxidation taking place, but that's insignificant IMO (I've never seen measurements, has anyone else?) over the course of a few days.

WatTyler,

max

Out to lunch
ok so i'm wondering if using a coffee grinder will "destroy" any actives due to the "turbulance" and violent grinding action? Or is it all good, just use the separated kif and nothing is destroyed?
Coffee grinder blades or grinder teeth- both pretty violent. :shrug:

max,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
Try just 'pulsing' your coffee grinder until you get the consistency your after.

smokum,

Titamius

Developing Connoisseur & Vaporist
Try just 'pulsing' your coffee grinder until you get the consistency your after.
QFT, this is how I use my coffee grinder everyday. The "violence" of the grinder is not at all a problem, if you like to collect kief then I would personally recommend them. SpiritWalker, Im pretty sure its impossible for the actives themselves only being destroyed by anything physical, and the grinder power doesnt break the trichomes heads themselves through the action if thats what you're asking. I have a nifty little scope for trichomes and when I look at my collected kief through it the trichomes themeselves are whole, I do see some stalks separated from the heads though.

Titamius,
Top Bottom