Herb Grinders

SmokingElectricity

Mix N Ball seems to be selling grinders again. They have a new version of the Nano.

Great brand of grinders.

"the famous nano grinder has gone bigger. it is now 3 millimeter wider and 1 millimeter thicker. it also carry a stronger magnetic locking . while holding it you will not feel the difference, but this baby will handle near to 50% more vol. than the previous excellent model.more detailed pictures soon, video to follow. money back guaranteed."
http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/nano-s.html
IMG_0180.JPG

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Mix N Ball seems to be selling grinders again. They have a new version of the Nano.

Great brand of grinders.

"the famous nano grinder has gone bigger. it is now 3 millimeter wider and 1 millimeter thicker. it also carry a stronger magnetic locking . while holding it you will not feel the difference, but this baby will handle near to 50% more vol. than the previous excellent model.more detailed pictures soon, video to follow. money back guaranteed."
http://www.mixnball.com/shop/herb-grinders/classics/nano-s.html
IMG_0180.JPG

It looks like a very nice design. I have two MixNBall grinders that I love. However, hey have been iffy for so long, I'm a little worried about their reliability. Meaning, if I place an order, will it actually ship? I don't remember the Nano Grinder being $30.00 either, but it has been years.

SmokingElectricity

It looks like a very nice design. I have two MixNBall grinders that I love. However, hey have been iffy for so long, I'm a little worried about their reliability. Meaning, if I place an order, will it actually ship? I don't remember the Nano Grinder being $30.00 either, but it has been years.

i have a few mix n ball grinders myself and they are my favorite 2 piece grinders. i know they had problems in the past with shipping, but if anyone wants to order, maybe they should give them a call or shoot them an email first.

TEL/FAX: +1 (818) 574-8838, +44 (020)8144-6888

email: sales@mixnball.com

SmokingElectricity,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
41%2B0TXNmLOL.jpg

So I bought one of these since they had been discussed a few pages back.

http://www.amazon.com/Hometown-General-Buddies-Aluminum-Electric/dp/B004MN9YTY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344185020&sr=8-3&keywords=electric herb grinder

Arrived fast in typical amazon fashion. I was happy to see in included batteries... Fired it up and the bearing started squealing and then it stopped. Back to amazon..... I'll let everyone know if the next one works any better.....

Also Final review on the Kelly's Giant 3" grinder:

!B3GCRKw!mk~$(KGrHqZ,!h!E)7y1lC7jBMk8CHnU,!~~_3.JPG

It arrived in about 5 days. Opened it up and it certainly included everything in the picture. Its a nice piece. quite heavy and hefty. It has a mirror like nicely polished finish although its not perfect. There are some minor discolorations or spots on the alloy which might indicate its not the highest quality alloy but this is a very minor cosmetic issue. Its quite mirror like. First observation was that 5 pieces was too tall, too many pieces, and that the top screen was way to course. Kelly's suggests you can remove the screen in the top piece and turn into a 4 piece with a HUGE storage area. I found a simpler solution though. Simply remove that section from the stack and the other pieces screw together to make a 4 piece!!!! I really like it this way... Its much smaller height wise in this configuration.

This thing makes quick work of the stickiest bud in good quantities. I shoved about 2.5g in there and grind out in not time flat. Grinding is easy with the large diameter and 50+ teeth. Its a medium grind great for rolling or the bong and works fine in my solo and TV. I generally prefer if its grind for the vape to run it through my Mendo Mulcher 4 piece vape grinder (smaller holes) for pass 2 and then into a container.

I like my coffee grinder too but there is something more satisfying to me personally about grinding by hand.

Right now this is my favorite grinder and I use it all the time. for $23 delivered its a bargain compared to my Mendor Mulcher or Sharpstone. Its a good solid grinder if you like that type of thing. Hope to get my little electric replacement soon so I can add that to the fray.

ru_frothi,

YoGranMazPimp

I Vapes Hard
Hey guys, been looking for a descent grinder. I just bought one of those small electric hand held jobs and not impressed. Need to cut it down to small pieces before you can even get it to turn.
Anyway. looking at something like Sharpstone or equivalent like this one.
But kind of like a more heavy duty one..
Any grinder experts out there?
Pipes

I have the 3 inch, 4 piece sharpstone clear top (no crank handle) and it is the best grinder ive had. Plenty of surface area and capacity. Very sharp teeth and lots of them. I like the wider oval shaped holes around the edge, as in other grinders, there would be a buildup of grinded herb in the edge id have to pick out.

I cant imagine the teeth coming out the lid unless your grinding a extemely hard material. Like compressed schwag (dirt, mexico, regular). Back in my schwag days i bent the teeth on a cnc'd grinders teeth with compressed herb. I cant see that happening with medical quality herb. The clear top was initially selected as a novelty, but has proven quite useful. You can see when turning the grinder to one direction is no longer making grinding progress and reversing the direction is needed. You also can easily see when your done grinding, without peeking and possibly losing the material stuck in the lid when lifting.

I read another post on here about fake sharpstones and since seeing that have seen many in LHS and online. Maybe these were the ones breaking and giving them a bad rep. The one you posted a link to is a sharpstone knock off and id avoid those.

Keep doing some research and you will find one that works well for you!

YoGranMazPimp,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I cant imagine the teeth coming out the lid unless your grinding a extemely hard material. Like compressed schwag (dirt, mexico, regular).
The teeth broke on me within a week, and I was using top shelf, medical grade cannabis.

Vicki,

Peloton

Vapes Hard
I've owned 2 clear top Sharpstones of different sizes, and a friend has owned a few also. Here's the thing about those - The "clear top" grinders' teeth are glued on, as opposed to the teeth being machined from the same piece of metal like most decent grinders without a clear top are. I do actually like Sharpstones, and it's what I recommend to people in real life who want a decent 4 pc grinder for the money. That being said, I wouldn't recommend the clear tops to anyone who wants their grinder to last - One of mine broke quickly, the other was good for over a year of daily use before biting the dust (no schwag involved ;))

It's cool seeing the work happening when you turn, but it's even cooler to have a grinder that wont bend and break teeth down the line :) Nowadays I swear by my SC 2pc, and I will continue to do so until I get a 4pc SC.

Peloton,
Reactions: Vicki

Poochka

using a small 4 pc, the larger one was really nice but someone wanted it more than i did and TOOK IT! jerk lol. i grind maybe once a month and keep the ground herb in threaded aluminum pill cases with a rubber O ring. not toking very much and if no one else is around an 1/8 will last maybe 6 months. thought about getting a larger 4 pc. but at this time don't need it with the amount being ground. imo any aluminum grinder will last. personally will be looking at the titanium grinders next.

Poochka,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
The other day I received the replacement mini electric from amazon like pictured above. Its an interesting concept. It really does work but also it really doesn't have much power. To use it you have to fill the vial loosely such that the blades can spin up freely and then you can shake it around gently to chop the bud. It chops it pretty finely and definetly produces a good bit of kief. more so than a manual grinder like the space case or mendo mulcher IMO.

One big downside of this unit is that the motor doesn't have much torque. I stuck a .5g nugg in there and it would not chop it because the nug obstructed the blades spinning up. The motor doesn't have torque so it relies on RPM to cut. I had to break the nug apart with my hands prior to grinding to get this grinder to grind it.

The unit is nicely made of anodized aluminum and the clear container is some sort of clear plastic. My replacement looked used but at least it works unlike the first unit. This may have been someone else's return.

Its not as good as a coffee grinder which is about the same price. This unit is battery powered and portable unlike my Black and Decker coffee grinder. both are well priced at around $13.

ru_frothi,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
There's the plastic one from Storz and Bickel that comes with the volcano. That's about the only other one I can think of.

Yep, I have a couple of those. Not really a big fan of the plastic ones though. Maybe I will pick up a 2 piece space case.

Slightly Medicated,

Jurassic

Hey SliM, why not the mendo mulcher vaporizer grinder? Or do you have one already?

So I thought I would post some comments about a couple of new grinders I acquired lately.

Mendo Mulcher 2" 4 piece vape grinder. It features smaller holes than the normal unit designed for a finer grind for the vaporizer user. I ordered this straight from Mendo and it took about a week to arrive. With all its teeth it rips through fresh bud with little effort. you have to grind a bit longer than I'm used to in order to achieve a fine enough grind for the herb to go down into the next chamber. The heft and quality of the part if evident upon initial use. The finish is machined look that straight off a lathe. Very industrial.

It does produce a nice fine grind. easily better than my volcano grinder (never been that fond of that one) in acheiving a finer grind. better than my old notch and sharpstone grinders as well.

There are two issues with this grinder though. 1. unlike most grinders there is no lip on the bottom peice of the top chamber so you can just unscrew the top two peices like on most grinders. you have to first remove the top peice. and then unscrew the 2nd peice. If they had a rim like every other grinder you could do this in one step. Not sure what this approach buys you....

2. The smaller hole's can clog up easier. The herb in the picture is some "The White" outdoor that is just covered in ripe trich's. tested at almost 26% THC by steephill. This stuff was very gooey and it clogged up the small holes on this thing pretty solid after about 3-4 grams. I had to use a poker and clean the holes out. Never had this problem on any other grinder but this is some of the stickiest herb I have ever seen.
product comes in a lip balm dispenser and can be used to free-up gummy grinders that aren't turning very easy. you just put a little on the male edge of the grinder and you get immediate smooth action. The mendo mulcher was already gummed up from its first week of use when the gifts from puffitup arrived. A little bit and the mendo was gliding as smoothly as new. What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Randy can comment on when this stuff will be available on their website but I can't find it.

So in summary I like both grinders a lot. Obviously the Mendo is a luxury item but produces a nice fine grind for vape users. even finer than the 2 peice. The 2 peice from Puffitup it hard to fault. solid build quality, works well, inexpensive, great vendor. My only suggestion would be to offer 3" versions of both your 2 piece and 4 peice grinders. Based on this I ordered 2 of the PIU 2.25" 4 piece grinders as gifts for friends. I'll let everyone know what I think. Thanks again Randy for the goodies!

peace

Hey thanks for the write up on the mendo vape grinder! Just curious how you still like it? I don't like grinders much and use a coffee grinder but the mendo vape grinder has peaked my interested, especially since this grinder grease seems to work so well. I always had issues with gummed up grinders, and it just seemed like so much effort to turn all the time, especially when sticky.

Jurassic,

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I like the mendo and its finer grind (I posted pics comparing the grinds). I don't think it will change your mind about hand grinders and it won't deliver an MFLB grind. Grinder grease might help change your opinion though. It really helps when they start gumming up. Its a personal choice. I have a coffee grinder but prefer the hand grinder. The kief I collect in the hand grinder is much better kief IMO than that from the coffee grinder which has a lot of plant material in it.

lip balm might be an alternative to grinder grease. haven't tried it but bet it might work.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: Jurassic

Titamius

Developing Connoisseur & Vaporist
I have a coffee grinder but prefer the hand grinder. The kief I collect in the hand grinder is much better kief IMO than that from the coffee grinder which has a lot of plant material in it.

I guess for coffee grinders the kief really depends on the grinder, the kief I get outta mine is pretty pure id say, golden with barely any green.

Titamius,

Poochka

I like the mendo and its finer grind (I posted pics comparing the grinds). I don't think it will change your mind about hand grinders and it won't deliver an MFLB grind. Grinder grease might help change your opinion though. It really helps when they start gumming up. Its a personal choice. I have a coffee grinder but prefer the hand grinder. The kief I collect in the hand grinder is much better kief IMO than that from the coffee grinder which has a lot of plant material in it.

lip balm might be an alternative to grinder grease. haven't tried it but bet it might work.

need a small amount of lube? rub some hemp wick with bees wax on the joint

Poochka,

turk

turk
...another vote for the mendo....not cheap but should hold-up over time...had mine for 3mos...or after I made firm committment to vaping.....

turk,

Kief

Medicated
So aside from the MendoMulcher Vaporizer grinder, are there any other 4 piece grinders that are "vaporizer" grinders?

Check out the 2.2" Smart Crusher, has 4mm holes(all round) and is defiantly a "vape grinder". There is some good info and reviews in this thread to search for, my full review is pending. Look for the ZINC "Sharp Crusher" or "Chromium Crusher" 2 inch or 2.2" or 2.25"... NO aluminum or clear tops... find on eBay or Amazon. For about $20 it's golden. :tup:

Thank you SmokingElectricity for pointing me in the right direction.

Kief,

Titamius

when I compare them under a microscrope and the difference is pretty evident.
I'll take your word for it seeing as I've never tried an expensive 4 pc, but I wouldn't say the keif I get from my coffee grinder has a lot of plant mater. A little bit as to be expected, but nothing I care about. And I have a microscope too. Guess Ill have to get a good 4 pc soon.

Titamius,

Jurassic

Thanks frothi! I agree, i need the grinder grease or I won't be happy even with the mendo. I have big hands and when it gets stuck, I get so flustered I just wanna toss it out the window.

I guess for coffee grinders the kief really depends on the grinder, the kief I get outta mine is pretty pure id say, golden with barely any green.

Same here, super yellow, ofcourse I use it all up before I have any time for significant accumulation. Under a microscope, I think the kif is a little "destroyed" something about the stems falling off the trichs? Not sure if it matters.

when I compare them under a microscrope and the difference is pretty evident.

True, but i don't mind personally, all gets vaped the same.

Check out the 2.2" Smart Crusher, has 4mm holes(all round) and is defiantly a "vape grinder". There is some good info and reviews in this thread to search for, my full review is pending. Look for the ZINC "Sharp Crusher" or "Chromium Crusher" 2 inch or 2.2" or 2.25"... NO aluminum or clear tops... find on eBay or Amazon. For about $20 it's golden. :tup:

Thank you SmokingElectricity for pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks Kief!! I think the 2.2" is PERFECT for me... i used to have an old cheapie that was 2.2" and imo it was the perfect size. I find 2" too small, and 2.5" too big. How do the 4mm holes compare to the mendo holes? It's only $20? How is the quality?

Jurassic,

Titamius

Same here, super yellow, ofcourse I use it all up before I have any time for significant accumulation. Under a microscope, I think the kif is a little "destroyed" something about the stems falling off the trichs? Not sure if it matters.
Yea I notice under the scope there are some trich stalks that are not intact with their heads in my keif, I never see this on a piece of bud. But I dont think it matters either, I just don't see how it could.

Im a big keif fan so I'll collect a good few grams of the stuff before I start tokin it. but the cycle for me is ongoing, i vape it just a bit slower than I collect it so I always have some golden goodness:D

Titamius,

Kief

Medicated
Thanks Kief!! I think the 2.2" is PERFECT for me... i used to have an old cheapie that was 2.2" and imo it was the perfect size. I find 2" too small, and 2.5" too big. How do the 4mm holes compare to the mendo holes? It's only $20? How is the quality?

I agree that 2.2" is the perfect size for a 4 piece. I do not have a Mendo, but I believe the holes are also 4 mm... thought they had the info on their site (nope). The quality of my Smart Crusher is MUCH higher than I expected from a cheep import product that shipped to my door for less than $20. Many others are happy with them, give this thread a search.

Kief,
Top Bottom