Herb Grinders

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I personally prefer the grind I get from my 2 piece acrylic grinder.
Its a storz & Bickel one (same as the one that comes with the volcano)
I find it gets me a slightly finer grind than my medium 2 piece space case, and I find it to be a little bit easier to turn than the space case. (I can get the same grind in the space case, it just takes longer.)

vape4life

Banned for life
Also find I would have to put more herbs in the 2 piece medium SC to get a good grind, and it couldn't compare to the acrylic.... which can get to a powder if desired.

vape4life,

max

Out to lunch
I just found two metal shaving from the Sharp Crusher grinder. Avoid.
I've used mine hundreds of times and seen no loose metal. What I have seen is reports of loose metal bits, and/or bent or broken teeth, from every brand of grinder on the market, including Space Case. So thanks anyway, but I'll keep using my Sharp Crusher, as well as the other brands that people here and there have warned against.

max,

djonkoman

at the moment I'm borrowing a grinder, need to get my own some time and since grasscity has a 420 sale now I'm considering buying one, wondering if anyone here could help me with my choice.
the griner I use now and the metal grinder I owned before worked, but had a bit coarse grind for me. I like a bit finer grind, works better with vaping for me. my first grinder was a silicone grinder with more pyramidshaped teeth like the acryl ones.

so the specifics I'm looking for:
-fine grind, finer as the usual metal ones(present ones is 5cm with 2 rows of teeth)
-2 part
-preferably not acryl, experience with acrylic grinders from friends is they don't grind as comfortably and gunk up quickly. liked the silicone of my first grinder, but also noticed the metal ones take longer between cleaning the rim for smooth grinding.
-average size, 4-5 cm works well for me, usually only grind small amounts but sometimes also want to grind a little mopre so don't want a really small one(like those mini's that are 3 cm or so)

and not too expensive, available at grasscity would be nice since than I can profit from the 420 sale, elsewhere is fine too as long as it's affoprdable(was thinking like 20 dollars at most, but ofcourse it also needs to be shipped wich would be included in that price, wich is an extra pro of grasscity since they ship from here in the netherlands)

hope anyone here can help me with some tips

djonkoman,

vape4life

Banned for life
-preferably not acryl, experience with acrylic grinders from friends is they don't grind as comfortably and gunk up quickly.

Interesting, my SC junked up way faster than my Herb Mill, and the reason I sold the SC is because the Herb Mill was more comfortable to use and grinds to a much finer consistency. Just my 2 grams :)

vape4life,

SD_haze

at the moment I'm borrowing a grinder, need to get my own some time and since grasscity has a 420 sale now I'm considering buying one, wondering if anyone here could help me with my choice.
the griner I use now and the metal grinder I owned before worked, but had a bit coarse grind for me. I like a bit finer grind, works better with vaping for me. my first grinder was a silicone grinder with more pyramidshaped teeth like the acryl ones.

-fine grind, finer as the usual metal ones(present ones is 5cm with 2 rows of teeth)
-2 part
-preferably not acryl, experience with acrylic grinders from friends is they don't grind as comfortably and gunk up quickly. liked the silicone of my first grinder, but also noticed the metal ones take longer between cleaning the rim for smooth grinding.
-average size, 4-5 cm works well for me, usually only grind small amounts but sometimes also want to grind a little mopre so don't want a really small one(like those mini's that are 3 cm or so)

and not too expensive, available at grasscity would be nice since than I can profit from the 420 sale, elsewhere is fine too as long as it's affoprdable(was thinking like 20 dollars at most, but ofcourse it also needs to be shipped wich would be included in that price, wich is an extra pro of grasscity since they ship from here in the netherlands)

puff it up 2piece grinder -- $10 shipped free
Small 2piece spacecase -- $23 shipped free

SD_haze,

Nytron

Cheap/bad grinders are actually better for vaping than expensive ones. The duller the teeth are, the longer the herb stays in the top teeth section where it mulches it finer.

If you stir 1-2 times per bowl, just the act of stirring makes the herb break into smaller pieces. So, stirring the bowl half way through or so is the best way to break down the herb into small pieces.

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer

-2 part

I really recommend you to get the Head Cheff 55cm Hard Anodized 2 part grinder - I have a review of it back in this thread somewhere. It is solid, is nice to grip at 5.5cm, gives a medium to fine grind - depending on length of grind - and is quite cheap. You should be able to get it delivered for about 15 euro :2c:

J.R.R.Tokin',

vape4life

Banned for life
Anyone use(d) the 4 pc 2.25" from puffitup? I think I get a free one with my Solo when it gets here.
http://www.puffitup.com/product-p/puffitupgrinder.htm

I really like the size 2.25". Seems like most are 2" (too small) or 2.5" (too big).... 2.25" is the sweet spot IMO, and the most important thing is the hole size which is practically never advertised. My very first grinder was a cheapie that was 2.25 and had a great hole size. I find 4pc SC's to have holes that are too big.

Cheap/bad grinders are actually better for vaping than expensive ones. The duller the teeth are, the longer the herb stays in the top teeth section where it mulches it finer.
quote]

Or you can use a 2 piece and achieve the same or better goals.

I really recommend you to get the Head Cheff 55cm Hard Anodized 2 part grinder - I have a review of it back in this thread somewhere. It is solid, is nice to grip at 5.5cm, gives a medium to fine grind - depending on length of grind - and is quite cheap. You should be able to get it delivered for about 15 euro :2c:

Thanks JRR, that's the sweet spot, and i'll search and look into it.

vape4life,

djonkoman

thanks for the suggestions, I like the looks of that puffitup grinder(not free shipping for me tough, since I don't live in the US, but since it's only 10 dollar that doesn't matter that much)
has an interesting shape of the teeth. but does it also grind finer as usual?
that headchef has the same teethplacement and shape as the grinder I'm using now(wich is 5 cm), wich does work but I would like a little bit finer grind

does anybody have experience with those wooden or stone grinders with the pins? do those give a fine grind? this one for example http://www.grasscity.com/eu_nl/smok...inders/stone-grinders/stone-grinder-leaf.html
one of my friends does have a wooden grinder, but I'm not sure who that was again

Interesting, my SC junked up way faster than my Herb Mill, and the reason I sold the SC is because the Herb Mill was more comfortable to use and grinds to a much finer consistency. Just my 2 grams :)
my experience could also have to do with the fact my friends never clean their grinders, one of my friends has the larger model of the silicone grinder that was my first, mine was always grinding smooth altough I had to clean it often, his is all gunked up and not comfortable to grind with.
and pretty much all acryl grinders I have used where so gunked up it was almost impossible to turn a full cycle
with metal grinders there seems to be a bit more room, and so even if it gunks up a little it still keeps turning smoothly
I've often gotten the comment that my grinder turns really smooth, just because I actually take that little bit of effort to clean it now and then

djonkoman,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
I don't really rate the metal pins. IME they tear the herb rather than cutting it, and don't get it so fine. I have got a wooden Molino grinder that has plastic inserts with diamond shaped teeth screwed inside. It works pretty well and being wood is nice to handle. The exposed screw heads inside do get gunked up, but that doesn't bother me so much.

WatTyler,

vape4life

Banned for life
djonkoman, my experience is EXACTLY the opposite. The S&B herb mill has more "play" and allows an easier spin even with herb bits caked in there. I use a brush to sweep out any kif and then do a hot water/soap scrub followed by the dishwasher and it comes out like new. With my SC, the spin would get stuck to the point of not being able to turn, and required constant iso cleaning. I also like the acrylic better because I can use any amount of herb and get it as fine as i'd like. With the SC medium, it would almost need a certain amount to grind properly, although my teeth MAY have been getting dull because I did have it for a while.

Regardless, in my experience of using this acrylic herb mill, sharpstone 4 piece, generic 4 piece, a medium and large size stainless and titanium coated SC, for the grind, ease of use, cleaning, and especially price, for now i'm settled on this grinder and absolutely love it.

I would reconsider a 4 piece space case if I knew the hole size between the small and medium, but no one seems to know that information as i've posted it a couple times already.

vape4life,
Reactions: Ville23

TheKeeper

Former Combuster
I really like my Medo Mulcher. High quality, made in the USA by a small company, magnetic and performs well. They cost less than the Space Case. These are offered on eBay but you can get them for about 5 bucks less by purchasing directly from their website. I have the new Vape Grinder which was designed with smaller holes for a finer grind and it comes with a kief screen. I'm a happy customer.

Best!

TheKeeper

TheKeeper,

vape4life

Banned for life
Vape Grinder with smaller holes sounds intriguing. How happy are you with the grind? Fine enough? Works well with the Solo?

vape4life,

TheKeeper

Former Combuster
Hey Vape,

I'm very happy with the grind. I've owned a 2 piece Mendo Mulcher for years but wanted to step up to a grinder that had a kief screen as I love me some kief. I was doing my research and found out that Mendo Mulchers just came out with a grinder (with a kief screen) that they advertised specifically for vapes - smaller holes & more teeth for a finer grind. It's a solid product with a slightly finer grind than their regular grinders. As the holes are smaller, you'll have to do a bit more twisting - which I expected.

I've determined that a finer grind (packed loosely) produces a better vapor in the Solo and every other vaporizer that I've used.

Best!

TheKeeper,
Reactions: vape4life

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think I'm to late for the 420 sale, but I'll throw in my :2c: anyway.

I bought a buddy of mine one of those wooden grinders with the pins once. He loves it. It grinds pretty good, better then I expected. Not to fine but fine enough for most vapes. The only downside is that it started loosing pins over time, apparently they loosen up after much use.

I think they sell those at Hemphus (Voorstreek) and Miami (weetjewel) too btw.

I have the metal colored version of this one myself, been using it over a year now and I really like it. The black one looks great to, but I'm afraid to recommend colored grinders I haven't tested myself after my killer-grinder experience where the paint started chipping and come off. Anodized colors are fine though, but I'm not sure how this one was done.

Perhaps this one is a safer choice? It looks identical to mine from the inside so I have no problem recommending that one.

I have got a wooden Molino grinder that has plastic inserts with diamond shaped teeth screwed inside. It works pretty well and being wood is nice to handle. The exposed screw heads inside do get gunked up, but that doesn't bother me so much.

I was intrigued by your description so I started looking, is it this one you are referring to?

molino_square_grinder_logo.jpg

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
They both look nice actually, I think I will try one next time I place an order at a shop that sells them.

Thanks Wat.

OhTheAgony,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
+1

I went out of my way to like that sucker, lol

Apparently I view pages as though I'm off line when I use other peoples link.

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

great post indeed.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this grinder?
http://www.vaposhop.com/grinders/metal_grinders/metal_grinder_crusher/

seems like it would have the same grind as the plastic ones, the teeth are not smooth tough so you would probably never get it completely clean, and I'm wondering how prone it is for broken teeth or chipping of bits of metal.
also seen it at a few other sites btw, vaposhop doesn't have them in stock but I think others did.
it's also not magnetic

djonkoman,

SD_haze

great post indeed.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with this grinder?
http://www.vaposhop.com/grinders/metal_grinders/metal_grinder_crusher/

seems like it would have the same grind as the plastic ones, the teeth are not smooth tough so you would probably never get it completely clean, and I'm wondering how prone it is for broken teeth or chipping of bits of metal.
also seen it at a few other sites btw, vaposhop doesn't have them in stock but I think others did.
it's also not magnetic

Those ridges for added torque are a great idea but I do not like the look of those teeth.

Pyramid style teeth in a metal grinder never seem to work right.

hogleg

I have had a 4 piece 2.2" sharpstone for years and it has worked great however it has been dropped while open too many times
sharpstone.jpg

I got another one this is a 3" you can find them around for about $40 and the maxpedition can case holds it perfectly

cancase.jpg

and this 4" monster from kellysgreatproducts for work it weighs over a pound. I drilled a holes between all the stock ones (so I doubled th hole amount) to make it work better its worth having to mod it, this thing is a real workhorse

grinder4.jpg

hogleg,

djonkoman

that sparpstone seems to have those s-shaped teeth too, seeing that in some grinders, anyone know wgat difference it makes?
I figured out that eventough grasscity has 30% off, it's still more expebsive as ordering from EDIT, since EDIT's shipping is cheaper(eventough it has to come from further away), and 30% on the low prices I'm aining at is not that much.
so ordering a mix 'n ball from EDIT would be cheaper as a blackleaf from grasscity(that 2nd blackleaf OTA posted, I like that it has notches for good grip and had those S-shaped teeth too)
and for even less I could order a molino from EDIT.
I'm now mostly considering between the 2 piece small size mix 'n ball, a molino, or the 2 piece puffitup grinder. all would cost me below 20 euro, don't know what the shipping from puffitup would be but the molino is the cheapest(including shipping), they also have one of those molino's on sale(but limited stock)
on one hand I like the grind of the molino, but I also like the feel of a metal grinder and I smack them a lot, the grinder I use now(borrowed from a friend) has an hourglass on top(non-working, also sme fake diamonds), and yesterday I notice a piece of the see-trough plastic has broken off and fell inside the clock. it already had some breaklines for a while. so I think that's from the smacking.

and the S-shape teeth is also kind of fun since my real name begins with an S, just don't know if it actually matters or that it's just a trick to sell more grinders since it seems new

djonkoman,
Top Bottom