Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
A three year old Sharpstone likely goes back to the days when the teeth weren't CNC'd, just stuck on. A grinder 'insider' stated, quite a while ago, that they switched to 100% CNC manufacturing, which should prevent any teeth from breaking or bending. These days all the name brands are 100% CNC.

Vicki, wasn't your broken Sharpstone one of those clear top grinders? The gimmick grinders- clear top, crank handles, etc., are not gonna hold up as well. Make your grinder from one solid piece of aluminum (100% CNC), and there's no 'attached parts' to break.

mvapes said:
I was told that since I'm a vaporist for health reasons I should look into BPA free Synthetic Grinders as aluminum could potentially cause short and long term health issues.
I think whoever told you that is full of it. The same person is gonna say the Volcano is unsafe because it has aluminum in it, despite the study by a German university declaring it safe. Any synthetic grinder is plastic, and if a grinder is going to shed material, plastic is gonna go before aircraft grade aluminum. I suppose BPA free plastic is safe to inhale. No thanks. I'll pass.
Im looking at Mendos
I've tried two Mendos- a 4 pc. and a small 2 pc. Both have teeth that cut very well but are worthless for a fine grind. It's the shape of the teeth-sharp at the front and rear but rounded on the sides. After cutting through the bud, it just spins. They're not grinders, but shredders. Great for a quick, coarse grind, but that's it.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Vicki, wasn't your broken Sharpstone one of those clear top grinders? The gimmick grinders- clear top, crank handles, etc., are not gonna hold up as well. Make your grinder from one solid piece of aluminum (100% CNC), and there's no 'attached parts' to break.

Yes, max, it was. :( Seriously, it has sat unused for so long. I hate to see it unused like that too.

I'm glad they aren't making these anymore, if they are using solid pieces now, and not just gluing pieces together.

Vicki,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Thanks Vicki - I may just switch to the 2pc also. How do you like the MixNball?

mvapes,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
A three year old Sharpstone likely goes back to the days when the teeth weren't CNC'd, just stuck on. A grinder 'insider' stated, quite a while ago, that they switched to 100% CNC manufacturing, which should prevent any teeth from breaking or bending. These days all the name brands are 100% CNC.

I think whoever told you that is full of it. The same person is gonna say the Volcano is unsafe because it has aluminum in it, despite the study by a German university declaring it safe. Any synthetic grinder is plastic, and if a grinder is going to shed material, plastic is gonna go before aircraft grade aluminum. I suppose BPA free plastic is safe to inhale. No thanks. I'll pass.
I've tried two Mendos- a 4 pc. and a small 2 pc. Both have teeth that cut very well but are worthless for a fine grind. It's the shape of the teeth-sharp at the front and rear but rounded on the sides. After cutting through the bud, it just spins. They're not grinders, but shredders. Great for a quick, coarse grind, but that's it.

Thanks Max - im either going to go with a space case or quite possibly with a newer Sharpstone.

Above is the video depicting aluminum, acrylic, and wood grinders as somewhat useless or perhaps even dangerous. After reading through the comments it is somewhat apparent to me that most agree with your feelings and opinion and in actuallity the video is ummm - how do you say - bulls*it! :lol: thanks for the tips Max - much appreciated.

mvapes,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
Thanks Max - im either going to go with a space case or quite possibly with a newer Sharpstone.

Above is the video depicting aluminum, acrylic, and wood grinders as somewhat useless or perhaps even dangerous. After reading through the comments it is somewhat apparent to me that most agree with your feelings and opinion and in actuallity the video is ummm - how do you say - bulls*it! :lol: thanks for the tips Max - much appreciated.

Yeah, they are going to say every other grinder is unsafe so you will buy that diamond grinder. Aluminum rubs off on our herb?? Seriously? I mean, I know some shavings can come off on a new aluminum grinder, but to say it's constantly happening bothers me. Anyone else wanna weigh in on this? :)

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
He said you don't need electricity. The first few days I broke my hand... I went out and bought a small electric grinder that ran off a 9 volt. I was please to have it. I would not have been able to use my regular grinders. I used it for a few weeks and once my hand got better I went back. I am not overly worried about getting alzheimer's from my grinder. I would love to see how the grinder they recommended int he video stack up against the SpaceCase, Mundo, or others.

He also did about 4 turns of the grinder for most of the other grinders. For their grinder they were turning it 6+ times. If I turn my SpaceCase 4 part grinder upside down it basically becomes a 2 part grinder. I can then grind as much as I want and get as fine a grind as I prefer.

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
So a follow up on my mendo and puff it up review with some better pics so you can see the consistency of the grind. IMO the Mendo Mulcher is producing the finest grind of my hand grinders. finer than the PIU, Sharpstone, or my notch. clearly not as fine as electric coffee grinder. In any case the viewer can be the judge.

Comparison: PIU 2 Piece on Left and 4 piece Mendo on the Right
Comparo.jpg

Mendo Mulcher
Mendo_mulcher_vape.jpg

PIU 2 Peice
PIU2peice.jpg

My friends are enjoying their PIU 4 piece grinders. That plastic grinder looks kinds of cool. I may buy. I also bought another grinder that I will review when it arrives.

ru_frothi,
Reactions: mvapes

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So a follow up on my mendo and puff it up review with some better pics so you can see the consistency of the grind. IMO the Mendo Mulcher is producing the finest grind of my hand grinders. finer than the PIU, Sharpstone, or my notch. clearly not as fine as electric coffee grinder. In any case the viewer can be the judge.

Comparison: PIU 2 Piece on Left and 4 piece Mendo on the Right
Comparo.jpg

Mendo Mulcher
Mendo_mulcher_vape.jpg

PIU 2 Peice
PIU2peice.jpg

My friends are enjoying their PIU 4 piece grinders. That plastic grinder looks kinds of cool. I may buy. I also bought another grinder that I will review when it arrives.

Great review ruf - I appreciate the pics, now I wanna vape... :rockon:

mvapes,

Selah

Enjoying the finer things in life
Hello,

I was wondering witch material is the safest for a herb grinder? After a few hours of searching online I only find wood, acrylic or aluminium pieces:mad: I was wondering if someone in Europe found one, and if so where? Price is not an issue, the only thing that matters is that it's safe and that it can be delivered in Europe;)

Thanks,

Selah

Selah,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
One of the best are space case, you can find them in Everyonedoesit.com, or paradox.co.uk , i think they have them too.

Off the top of my head those two fill your two requests.

vorrange,

Selah

Thanks man, but it appears that the space case grinder is a standard aluminium grinder with a titanium coating, some people had that coating worn off after heavy use:\

Selah,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
aluminium is fine. what makes a good grinder is if the teeth are glued into the lid or made with the lid. The second ones are the durable ones. I own a medium grassleaf in aluminium for close of 6 years and is still going strong.

Is there any particular brand you are looking for?

vorrange,

Selah

After extensive research I found out that aluminium grinders give off some microparticles (metal shavings) of aluminium witch is probably bad for our health. Brand doesn't matter, it's just a health concern.

The Easyleef bud grinder-Herb grinder of Grass City seems to be what I'm looking for but if someone else has suggestions I'm always open for them.

Selah,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
i didn't thought of that, maybe i should get a titanium grinder too. :)

I don't think i saw that brand in any EU store..

vorrange,

Selah

Of course you won't find it in Europe, we are still in the Middle Ages around here:lol:

Selah,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Selah, went to grass city, that polen/herb grinder looks nice. Do you think it will work with typical hash we find in europe, more hard?

Paradox has the easyleaf. ;)

vorrange,

max

Out to lunch
Titanium coating is just anodized.
After extensive research I found out that aluminium grinders give off some microparticles (metal shavings) of aluminium witch is really bad for our health (alzheimer, etc..)
Then guess what? Any grinder you use, made of any material, will also "give off particles". As for aluminum use leading to Alzheimers, it's never been proven. There are as many disproofs as there are proofs. The aircraft grade aluminum used in name brand grinders is the industry standard-as good as it gets. Your alternatives are a few zinc/steel alloy models that aren't any better, just heavier, and wood or acrylic, neither of which comes within a mile of the of the hardness and integrity of aluminum.

max,
Reactions: Vicki

quentin123

While I am a massive fan of acrylic sharktooth grinders for on the go, one of the best cannabis related investments I've made has been to buy an electric coffee grinder. They are really not expensive (I got one delivered for £13) and they really fluff out your herb and I definitely get more out of mine when I use the coffee grinder. It's not portable but if you pre-grind and leave it in a tin it works perfectly.
It might not be what your looking for at the moment but I reckon its really worth having one for in house use.

quentin123,

Selah

My statement about aluminium leading to alzheimer is maybe innacurate, my extensive research was about the different materials wearing off not about the real health effects of aluminium (my bad ;)) but I have a hard time believing aluminium particles being inhaled is perfectly safe. I already eliminated the acrylic or wood models. I'm just looking for the best material available. However I have the feeling that I'm not the first person making a similar statement about aluminium and that you are a bit tired of it:)

Selah,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
While I am a massive fan of acrylic sharktooth grinders for on the go, one of the best cannabis related investments I've made has been to buy an electric coffee grinder. They are really not expensive (I got one delivered for £13) and they really fluff out your herb and I definitely get more out of mine when I use the coffee grinder. It's not portable but if you pre-grind and leave it in a tin it works perfectly.
It might not be what your looking for at the moment but I reckon its really worth having one for in house use.

How much do you vape in one sitting? Or is it possible to grind, let's say 2 LB trenches?

My statement about aluminium leading to alzheimer is maybe innacurate, but I have a hard time believing aluminium particles being inhaled is perfectly safe. I already eliminated the acrylic or wood models. I'm just looking for the best material available.

Why did you eliminate aluminium and wood? They are least effective than the others but the materials are fine right?

vorrange,

quentin123

How much do you vape in one sitting? Or is it possible to grind, let's say 2 LB trenches?

You can grind as little as you want, you just have to shake the coffee grinder about a bit to push the particles back into the spinning blades as they fly to the top. I usually grind about a 0.3-0.5g and leave that in a tin that I vape off for a day, maybe a little left over in the morning and then grind some more.

I'm not sure what material my coffee grinder is made of but I struggle to see a significant amount of it flaking off into my weed.

quentin123,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
You can grind as little as you want, you just have to shake the coffee grinder about a bit to push the particles back into the spinning blades as they fly to the top. I usually grind about a 0.3-0.5g and leave that in a tin that I vape off for a day, maybe a little left over in the morning and then grind some more.

I'm not sure what material my coffee grinder is made of but I struggle to see a significant amount of it flaking off into my weed.

This is nice if you want to monitor your usage. Just weight the amount you have, calculate on average how much you have to vaporize each day and then try to not grind a second time in the same day. :)

vorrange,
Mine is made of stainless steel(inox see sig.) and is made in Spain,not too sure how that rates on your 'toxicity-scale',but it suits me just fine.;)

Havelock Vetenari,
Reactions: Vlampo
Top Bottom