Herb Grinders

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I would argue that the Mendo Mulcher is just as good. But half the price? I paid $70 for my large 4-piece and about half that for the large 2-pc. Worth every penny, but not exactly cheap.

:2c:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

sorry, I thought they were a little cheaper, my bad. still quite a bit cheaper at comparable quality

Nycdeisel,

SmokingElectricity

DrPiff said:
Any cheaper alternatives to Space Cases? Good lord these things are pricey.. Looking for a 3 or 4 piece good quality grinder.

4 pcs chromium crusher non aluminum version. they are tanks. 25 bucks max.

SmokingElectricity,

max

Out to lunch
Fly by Night said:
Nycdeisel said:
2 pieces are really better for vaporizing as you can choose how fine or coarse you would like to grind, unlike with 4 pieces that have holes that the weed falls through once it reaches a certain size.

With a 4 piece grinder, one can simply flip the grinder upside down to grind the herb finer.

Nycdeisel said:
Space Case is worth it

I completely agree, Space Case is quality and pretty much indestructible. Look at it like an investment, a Space Case will last a lifetime
When it comes to a 4 pc., I disagree that Space Case or other pricy grinders at $40+ are worth the extra $. I've used most all of the brands and I've not seen any evidence that SC or others will last any longer than cheaper alternatives like Chromium Crusher, Sharpstone, Sharp Crusher, etc. I think this is now a lingering myth, left over from years ago, just like Volcano is the only decent, reliable vape. My $15 Sharp Crusher keeps right on grinding up the buds just like the Space Case (and with a better tooth design), and there's no evidence that the expensive grinders use a better or more durable aluminum. The days of 'stick on' teeth that break or bend are gone for brands like Sharpstone, and they all use high quality aluminum and a 100% CNC machining process. I'm sure there are still garbage grinders out there, sold in convenience stores and gas stations, but the brands mentioned above are both affordable and high quality, and I can't justify spending up to 5 times as much for the big name brands. And as many have discovered, that black/titanium finish on the Space Case isn't scratch/chip proof and won't hold its looks over time.

max,
max said:
When it comes to a 4 pc., I disagree that Space Case or other pricy grinders at $40+ are worth the extra $. I've used most all of the brands and I've not seen any evidence that SC or others will last any longer than cheaper alternatives like Chromium Crusher, Sharpstone, Sharp Crusher, etc. I think this is now a lingering myth, left over from years ago, just like Volcano is the only decent, reliable vape. My $15 Sharp Crusher keeps right on grinding up the buds just like the Space Case (and with a better tooth design), and there's no evidence that the expensive grinders use a better or more durable aluminum. The days of 'stick on' teeth that break or bend are gone for brands like Sharpstone, and they all use high quality aluminum and a 100% CNC machining process. I'm sure there are still garbage grinders out there, sold in convenience stores and gas stations, but the brands mentioned above are both affordable and high quality, and I can't justify spending up to 5 times as much for the big name brands. And as many have discovered, that black/titanium finish on the Space Case isn't scratch/chip proof and won't hold its looks over time.
I'll admit that I do not own a Space Case, but I have a friend who swears by his. Almost every grinder that I see in person is no-name, from a gas station or ebay(etc). In comparison, my friend's Space Case is superior to every other grinder I have handled.

I suggested that OP purchase a Space Case, because my no-name four stage does not grind without material getting stuck in the poorly designed teeth. I thought that Space Case's elevated price tag is correlated to a proportionate increase in quality. This mindset was rooted in the saying, "You get what you pay for," which seems to be true for most products in all markets. As you mentioned, this is not the case with the volcano. A device that sends hot air should over herbs should not cost $500, just like $40 is too much to pay for a piece of shaped aluminum.

I apologize for omitting the cheaper brands in my first post, and thank you Max for bringing them to my attention. Since you have experience with many different grinders, I'll take your word on Sharp Crushers. So, a Sharp Crusher will likely replace the awful grinder I'm stuck with at the moment.

Fly by Night,

max

Out to lunch
Fly by Night, I've bought and used more grinders in the past few years than most people will in a lifetime. And it's mostly due to claims that only SC or some other high priced brand HAS to be purchased, otherwise you'll shred aluminum along with your herb, and/or break/bend the teeth. I just felt compelled to find out for myself. Although cheap grinders that aren't worth $5 are certainly out there, most of the brand names these days are good quality, cut from a single block of quality aluminum (including the teeth). In fact it's pretty clear that Sharpstone, Chromium Crusher, Cali Crusher, and Sharp Crusher (maybe more) are all made in the same factory, to pretty much the same specs. Your point about 'you get what you pay for' is true in a lot of cases, but it's not always that simple. Sometimes companies can charge more just on name value, and/or a reputation for quality that really doesn't stand up to serious scrutiny, or is out of date. For example, you can buy better sound, for less money, in an mp3 player than the iPod, but even if you can prove that to someone, they're likely to want the Apple product anyway, for the status. Is there any feature or quality in a woman's purse that warrants a price tag in excess of $10,000? Hermes handbags are selling on eBay for as much as $26k, and although quality is excellent, it's all about the name.

I apologize for omitting the cheaper brands in my first post, and thank you Max for bringing them to my attention. Since you have experience with many different grinders, I'll take your word on Sharp Crushers. So, a Sharp Crusher will likely replace the awful grinder I'm stuck with at the moment.
No apology necessary. You're not gonna go wrong with a SC or a Volcano. You just don't have to pay that much to get high quality these days. Grinders, as well as vapes, have come a long way in the past few years. And if you're in the market for a 2 pc., Space Case prices (especially from dealers offering FC discounts) are quite good. It's the 4 pc. models that get pricy. If you're interested in good pricing on the cheaper brands, this is a good place and seller (I've bought here several times)- Merchantswholesale, or do a search on eBay for 'crusher herb grinder' and you'll find a good selection.

max,

SmokingElectricity

i honestly do not understand the variance in price between a 2 pcs SC vs. 4 pcs SC. adding a mesh screen and a tray does "not" add up to a $50+ price jump [in my own mind] yes, they are some of the finest machined grinders on the market. but they don't grind your weed any better than most other grinders. i used to own a 2 pcs SC Ti and within a month the coating was coming off [was this from iso soaks or just normal wear and tear. IDK.] but I called the warranty# and was sent a replacement within a week and a half. while i no longer own the SC, i would recommend an uncoated SC to anyone looking for a quality grinder. if money is no object, but all means get a SC 4pcs. but if you are a frugal vaporist like most of us here, there are plenty of other options like Chromium and Sharp crushers, Titan Grinders [only seen these on ebay, but they are high quality anodized for a great price] and plenty of other choices out there that won't break your bank.

personally i think Mix N Ball is offering the best grinders out there for vaporizers and should be on top of the market, but their customer service leaves alot to be desired. i emailed them a rant a few months ago stating exactly that. never got a response. never got my 4 pc that my brother ordered for me from them last christmas... :/ [but the 2 pcs classic i got a couple weeks ago is the shit. great tooth design.]

SmokingElectricity,

2clicker

Observer
ive got a sharpstone cleartop 4pc and love it. it came free with my DBV and quickly became my favorite. i didnt think i would like the clear top much, but its great to see whats going on in there w/out having to take the top off. i would however like to know exactly what kind of plastic they are using for the clear top.

my brother has a large 4pc SSV grinder (not the powder coated one) and its very nice.

2clicker,

SmokingElectricity

2clicker said:
ive got a sharpstone cleartop 4pc and love it. it came free with my DBV and quickly became my favorite. i didnt think i would like the clear top much, but its great to see whats going on in there w/out having to take the top off. i would however like to know exactly what kind of plastic they are using for the clear top.

my brother has a large 4pc SSV grinder (not the powder coated one) and its very nice.

as long as you are happy with what you got, that's all that matters.

dope video [in your sig] :D

SmokingElectricity,

2clicker

Observer
SmokingElectricity said:
2clicker said:

as long as you are happy with what you got, that's all that matters.

dope video [in your sig] :D

thanks!

im just kinda concerned with reclaiming/soaking the lid piece due to the plastic clear top though. i may end up getting something else so thats why im lurking this thread.

i agree with max in that for $30 you can get a grinder that is every bit as good as a SC. the mix n ball stuff looks nice as well.

2clicker,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Here's my little photo comparison of the Space Case and the Volcano grinder.

First here's the goods. The guy said it's either kush or sour diesel, I don't remember or really care that much. Buds have been dried for a few hours sitting on top of my cable box.
1.jpg

A little bit in the Space Case.
2.jpg

A little bit in the Volcano (grinder).
3.jpg

I turned both grinders four times and dumped out onto a white sheet of paper. Here's the Space Case grind:
4.jpg

A closer look at the Space Case grind:
5.jpg

The Volcano grind:
6.jpg

A side by side:
7.jpg

Conclusion: Both are very excellent grinders. I find that the Volcano produces a slightly finer and more consistent grind. I like it alot - the challenge is going to be safely cleaning it down the line.

Hope this was informative.

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
so the small SC does grind finer than the medium... I've thought that would be the case, but I was curious.

good lookin meds, jeff. And nice post.

a grinder company... or even storz & bickel should make a cnc look-a-like of the plastic volcano grinder... no magnets... and screw on, air-tight storage bin about the same size as the one on the volcano grinder now.

oh how sweet, sweet would that be?

wake n blake,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
good observation and I think you're right - I have a medium space case and never use it - I prefer the small.

*edit*

thought - maybe instead of FC t shirts because we could never figure out something that was perfect - a FC grinder that does exactly what we want it to do by design.

jeffp,

Carbon

I've been wanting a metal version of the Volcano grinder for at least a year. That little orange thing gives me a finer grind than my space case any day, but I just don't like using plastic grinders, so I'm stuck turning my 4 piece upside down and going to town trying to make it come close.

Carbon,

friedricey

being human
After doing a bit of reading, I ended up going with a 2pc SC black ti. I could never bring myself to pay $80 for a grinder unless that's if I had spare money.

I really hope it doesn't flake as mentioned before by a few people. In such an event, is it covered by warranty?

The Sharp Crush looks very appealing for the price and consumer reviews. I might pick that one up if the SC doesn't hold up.

friedricey,

max

Out to lunch
I really hope it doesn't flake as mentioned before by a few people.
I would be shocked. I've never had aluminum flaking with any grinder I've used, and that's been quite a few, including some generic ones.

In such an event, is it covered by warranty?
I can tell you've only done "a bit of reading". SC has a lifetime warranty. Go back two pages (p.100) for info on SC warranty.

max,

SmokingElectricity

Cleaned my 3 main grinders last night...

Not a bad haul. A small piece of this mixed with a little bit of bud in the DBV will have you laid out. Can't wait till tonight to try some of this batch out.

dscn0462n.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

Tim

My 2pc Large Space Case just arrived.

WORLDS of difference in comparison to my sharp/chromium crusher. I never thought my crusher was sub par in ANY means. It's just that the Space Case is just.. built like a tank.

Maybe it's because I got the large 2 piece, but this thing is heavy. It looks great.. I'm about to go pick up more herb just to test this thing out.

Tim,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I harvested the goodies from soaking my grinders yesterday, too. I got about a pea-sized amount of hard, sticky goo. I cut off about 1/5th of it and put it in an herb sandwich in an EQ elbow at about 8pm last night. I was still getting massive rips off of it at 11:00pm when I went to bed (quite vaked). I can't believe how long that stuff just goes and goes!! :o

:peace:

Stu,
Top Bottom