Gulf Sadness.

lwien

Howie Feltersnatch said:
If there were really a kind and loving, all-powerful supreme being, surely he/she/it would step up and help out.
Or maybe kind and loving only goes so far, and now he's pissed. "You wanna rape and pillage mother earth? Well than, FUCK YOU !!" Kinda like what happened back in the days of Noah.

I don't know about you guys, but looking at those pics that mild posted up gave me some of the exact same feelings whenever I saw pics or vids of 911. A cocktail of anger and sadness.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I agree lwien. Those pictures made me angry, sad, but also nauseous. This is like one of those nightmares where you can't wake up. And the news keeps getting worse and worse.

momofthegoons,

the ob

all good in the hood.
lwien said:
Howie Feltersnatch said:
If there were really a kind and loving, all-powerful supreme being, surely he/she/it would step up and help out.
I don't know about you guys, but looking at those pics that mild posted up gave me some of the exact same feelings whenever I saw pics or vids of 911. A cocktail of anger and sadness.
I feel the same way. I am also angry that more people do not seem to be up in arms about the situation. this is a huge disaster.

the ob,

lwien

the ob said:
I am also angry that more people do not seem to be up in arms about the situation. this is a huge disaster.
Yeah. It's because this is happening on the Gulf Coast, and if they don't live there, they feel like, "Who gives a fuck. It's not affecting me, so I don't really give a damn". The other reason is that unlike 911, which happened all at once, this is unfolding in slo-mo, and will continue to do so for decades.

I wonder how much marine life has been killed so far from this. We'll never know, at least in the near future, because when fish, dolphins and whales succumb to this toxic mix of oil and dispersant chemicals, most will just sink to the bottom and disappear.

lwien,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
It sucks sitting here watching the 'efforts' to stop this thing, whatever they may be, just on TV. I'm tempted to just go down there for a few weeks and volunteer to clean up, I always get the feeling that I shouldn't invoke a negative opinion unless I actually contribute to the solution... what a shitstorm this has turned into :(

After all, I'm one of those who has to live on this earth for another 60 or so years (knock on wood).

mattybass,

lwien

mattybass said:
It sucks sitting here watching the 'efforts' to stop this thing, whatever they may be, just on TV. I'm tempted to just go down there for a few weeks and volunteer to clean up, I always get the feeling that I shouldn't invoke a negative opinion unless I actually contribute to the solution... what a shitstorm this has turned into :(
Careful if you do. Workers on the beach are getting sick breathing in this shit. Fucking CEO of BP said it was food poisoning. Yeah right. I've never heard of anyone with food posioning having symptoms of difficulty breathing, major headaches and dizziness without any diarrhea and vomiting.

lwien,

mattybass

Quasi-Intellectual
Food poisoning? Wow, at this point, is it going to do this prick's image any good to lie about the oil fumes?

mattybass,

lwien

mattybass said:
Food poisoning? Wow, at this point, is it going to do this prick's image any good to lie about the oil fumes?
lol. That is EXACTLY what I thought. And it's not just the oil fumes. It's the toxins in that dispersant crap that seems to be banned in every western country except ours.

lwien,
Well, I heard Florida's Gov just declared free fishing for everybody for a while (no license required) so I imagine the idea is to grab the last "clean" fish while you can! Might as well since the plankton and krill are certainly dying and all the critters up the food chain will be getting hungry soon.

The tip of the northernmost plume is only a short distance off Dauphin Island and our local weather report now includes a way-too-graphic OIL FORECAST alongside the rain forecast (are you fucking kidding me?)

Remember the old post-apocalyptic sci-fi movies where they checked the radiation forecast before going outside?

Howie Feltersnatch,
Dateline just did a pretty in-depth show on the disaster in the Gulf.
Interesting as hell. Looks like there was a whole lot of corner-cutting by BP and lax behavior of government officials.

I learned something I didn't even know. This was actually not yet a producing oil well, it was just drilled and was intended to be sealed up and left until BP needed to use it. It was during the final steps that it all went wrong with the leaking gases causing the explosion because they were rushing to completion and disregarding common safety steps.

Tar balls on Pensacola Beach now.

Fucking greedy bastards.

Howie Feltersnatch,

lwien

News just in........

So BP originally said that there was 1000 barrels a day gushing out of that well. Then they revised it to 5000..........then finally, BP raised their estimate to 12 to 15,000.

Just a few minutes ago, the federal government revised BP's figures, to an astounding..........................20 to 40,000 barrels a day !! Totally not surprising that BP would low ball these numbers.

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I've suspected all along that we haven't been hearing the whole, or true, story. Yesterday on the news, it was confirmed. BP has been in charge of the oil clean up, but also in control of what is put on the internet and released to other media. They have paid to have certain searches on line regarding the spill redirected to their site. Total propaganda. Just what I thought was happening. Nobody knows the real deal besides BP. And unfortunately, they probably don't know the real magnitude of this either.

momofthegoons,
Million gallons a day. A MILLION FUCKING GALLONS A FUCKING DAY. Do you know how much that is?

A good-sized bath holds 50 gallons, so a million gallons would be 20,000 baths.
If you were a swimming-pool builder and a customer asked you to build a pool that would hold a million gallons, you would need to build a pool about 267 feet long, 50 feet wide, and 10 feet deep. Every day for 50 days now.

Actually, it wasn't gushing quite that badly until after they failed in several attempts to "fix it."

And now the UK's pensioners are blaming the US and Obama for their BP-tied pension funds slipping. Imagine that, gambling your retirement money on futures and the stock market and blaming someone else. Think I'd ask for my money back.

Anyway, like I have been saying since the beginning - biblical.

Howie Feltersnatch,
Update:

There is local talk of closing off various passes to keep the oil out of the inland waterways and they are building a giant vacuum to siphon oil out at Perdido Pass (near AL-FL state line).

Howie Feltersnatch,

lwien

FUCK !! I just heard some scientists on TV that are suggesting that we drop a nuke down that well to seal it off. So I'm thinkin', "What could possibly go wrong with THAT idea?" FUCK !!!!

lwien,

Frickr

i guess this was a pure accident as while drilling this well, they hit a pocket of oil under extreme pressures unlike any other wells drilled before. around 1300psi is the normal for super deep wells, and this one is around 22,000 - 27,000psi. this just blew apart all the safety equipment on well. also there is a few other leaks found coming up around the well, from cracks in the wellcasing that happened in the initial explosion. the only way we can seal this deal it looks like is a nuke. and even that could have huge consequenses and could possibly open up a big huge crack for the oil to flow out of instead of sealing it off. it would also take 2 months to drill a hole down deep enough to place a nuke.... i see very dark times ahead. especially when the chemical disspersant bp is using is highly toxic and has the ability to phaseshift. so it can evaporate off just like the normal sea water, and get trapped in clouds to let out a toxic rain that is going to have devistating effects on the east coast. people in florda should be esspecially careful because the amount of toxic chemicals like benzene that are coming up with the oil and drifting through the air.

this is some scary stuff... :uhoh:

http://www.infowars.com/lindsey-wil...nes-about-deadly-gases-leaking-from-bp-spill/

Frickr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
lwien said:
FUCK !! I just heard some scientists on TV that are suggesting that we drop a nuke down that well to seal it off. So I'm thinkin', "What could possibly go wrong with THAT idea?" FUCK !!!!
A friend of mine told me about this a while ago. He said the Russians had done this before and it sears everything shut. Of course, anyone who has heard of dynamite fishing knows this would kill a shitload of stuff as well...nuke fishing? The time for this idea was when it first happened. We keep taking one massive fuck up and adding more fuck ups on top of it.

What scares me about hurricane season approaching is the possiblity of the storms picking up this shit out of the seas and dropping it all over the inland areas as well.

stickstones,

lwien

Yup. Medical people are saying that you don't even want to touch this stuff because it's a toxic soup of not only oil, but that dangerous toxic dispersant that they dumped on it, so a hurricane picking that crap up and spreading it inland..........damn. A disaster movie in the making.

And the nuking part? Ya know, what in the fuck would happen if they blew apart the well and the pressure was so great, that rather than the oil spewing out of a pipe, it begins to spew out of the ocean bed itself, in which case, we would be totally powerless to stop it. Fuck up after fuck up is one thing, but................a NUKE fuckup?

They going to have a congressional committee hearing, drilling (pardon the pun) the head of BP, and it's going to be televised. Get out your popcorn. Reality entertainment at it's best.

lwien,

bcleez

It's not like we have not nuked the ocean a bunch of times before in "Tests".

Congressional hearing... what a joke, its just for political posturing.

I think its an even bigger joke how everyone bashes BP, but in your own life do you turn off lights and save electricity? Is there a difference between letting oil seep from the ocean floor or the energy you waste in your daily life? People need to ask themselves what they are doing to not use oil based products and to be energy efficient...

edit... I know some of you care, but think about the damage that some growers do to the environment with the ferts they use.

bcleez,

lwien

So let me get this straight. Are you suggesting that because the US is the largest consumer of oil based products, that we shouldn't hold BP's feet to the fire over this disaster, and if we do, that it is a joke?

Do we share some responsibility here for our glutenous use of oil? Sure we do, but BP STILL deserves to be royally bashed over this, but the energy used in that bashing should be held off till we fix this fucking geyser from the ocean floor. You know what I find is a bigger joke? That you are calling it a "seep" versus a fucking gusher.

There is culpability on all sides here, from us as consumers, to our fucking government regulators who got into bed with those who they are trying to regulate, and BP, but BP bears the brunt of it.............as they should, and that, is not a joke.

lwien,
Say goodbye to the Dry Tortugas, Florida Keys and all the thousands of little mangrove islands in the southern Gulf and Florida Bay. I spent a lot of my childhood fishing, snorkeling and sailing down there and will vape a trench or stem in memory tonight. There is no way they can dispatch cleanup crews to "handle it" as if anyone can actually handle it anymore.

Howie Feltersnatch,

StickyShisha2

NPR this morning had a follow-up on the sea birds that were cleaned and tagged after the Exxon Valdeese.
All the birds that were cleaned DIE within 2 weeks.
By the time people start to clean them, the birds have already ingested too much toxic crap from trying to clean themselves.

StickyShisha2,

lwien

The pics of these oil soaked birds is sometimes just too much to bear. I have to look away.

lwien,
Top Bottom