Gulf Sadness.

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
GreenLeaf said:
:( I saw something on the news about the sea turtles covered in oil.
Me too. I saw the turtles swimming in the oil, and it made me so sad. :(

Vicki,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
We're on standby here for the possibility of oil slick :( Bad mess!

Around here lately everyone has been saying "drill, baby drill" now they're saying spill! Making folks change their stance on drilling off our coast.

Unfortunately sea turtle nesting season is here now too :( :(

Lo,

collegerower

The whole situation makes me so sad...

I was driving around some of the islands/marsh lands around me in the lowcountry of South Carolina trying to imagine crude getting into every part of the marshes. Truly devastating.

I read this, and its interesting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8658825.stm

I never thought about the turtles. It just gets worse the more I read.

collegerower,

lwien

collegerower said:
I never thought about the turtles. It just gets worse the more I read.
And it's going to get a lot worse as time passes.

And ya know what's really sick. I just heard the spokesman from BP saying, "It's not our fault. It's the fault of the oil platform operators." So now you have companies going, "Hey, it's not our fault. It's those guys over there. It's all their fault", so while everyone is trying desperately not to accept any responsibility in all this, we have turtles taking in oil and when whales and dolphins come up for air, guess what they're going to be hit with. The death to marine life will be unfathomable, as well as all those poor fishermen along the gulf coast who depend on the sea to provide a roof over their families and food on their tables.

It all kinda sends a chill up my spine when I recall the war cry of the Republican Party yelling "Drill baby drill". But hey, it's not the Repubs fault or the Dems fault. It's all of our fault for our addiction to oil, but maybe this could be a wake up call for all of us to say............ENOUGH !! We must find other, less dangerous ways to live our lives in a way that we don't put into danger the lives of us and the other creatures that we share this world with, for I think that is where the real sadness comes from which is a thing called................. guilt.

lwien,
Living on the Alabama Gulf Coast, I and everyone I know are holding our collective breath to see what actually happens. The landfall prediction keeps getting adjusted and no one really knows, because of the weather and tides and Gulf Stream action, etc.

I for one am glad that despite the blame game being played, BP has "manned up" and announced that they will compensate anyone who suffers an actual loss from this disaster. Regardless of whose fault it is, BP is liable. They have admitted it and "the annointed one" has announced it publicly when he came down from DC the other day.

The real bitch is, we have all known of this risk for more than 30 years and by god someone (oil companies) should have sunk some of their billions in profits into REAL FUCKING FAILSAFES on these deep-water wells. With mile-deep locations, you can't just send down a team to repair something like this. Remote shutoffs with triple redundancy and manual overrides seems like a good place to start.

Even if it costs a million per well to implement, I think that is perfectly reasonable for them to spend. I don't mind spending an extra buck or two at the pump if it means I don't have to get my shrimp from fucking China!

(BTW, About half a dozen dead sea turtles have washed up on the beaches in the last few days near here, but none of them were oil-afflicted at all. Could be something much more widespread, will wait to see. It is nesting season for them so they are even more at risk for everything.)

Howie Feltersnatch,

bcleez

LOL BP did not man up. Go see how long it takes to get paid. (see Exxon Valdez).

BP has insurance. Transocean has insurance. Halliburton has insurance. The insurance companies do not want to pay and will drag it out for 20 + years. A few Billion Dollars is nothing to the oil companies.

Even though BP is "losing" money, when the price of oils rises they make more money, so do they really care?

No oil company has the best interest of any citizen of any country.

bcleez,

reece

Hurricane season starts in a month. What happens if a storm enters the Gulf and picks up that oil as it heads ashore?

The country gets a good portion of its seafood from the Gulf Coast region. Or I guess I should say used to. This is so bad, especially for a region trying to recover from the last man made disaster during hurricane Katrina.

And we all keep saying "spill." This isn't a spill. The oil is gushing from the earth.

And I'm pretty sure Louisiana doesn't get much money from the drilling off its coast. Much less than other states in the same position. I don't remember specifics, but after Katrina the state's U.S. senators were saying let us keep the money from our oil and we'll rebuild ourselves (in response to those that felt the country shouldn't pay for those stupid enough to live there.

reece,

lwien

panasonic said:
I don't understand. I mean, I cannot actually comprehend how people can do this to the world.
I know. The plain fact is, is that they have no idea how to fix it. "Hey, I have an idea. If nothing else works, lets throw garbage at it." Ya know, if that statement wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

You'd think that before they'd start shit, they'd figure out how to fix it if something should go wrong.

Ya know, I was never worried about that huge collider, but now I'm not so sure.

lwien,

Purple-Days

As a former Gulf Coast resident (Parker, FL and Biloxi, MS) it is sad to watch. It is a horrible creeping nightmare. I have shucked many bushels of oysters and eaten many picnic tables of shrimp, mussels, crayfish under the shade of old oak trees. Between Katrina and this I'm thinking poor Biloxi (and other coastal areas) are done. The barrier islands have been depleted, another Corpse of Engineers failure.

BTW have you heard about the second biggest revenue collector in the USA. Yes, the Mining and Minerals folks at your service. Partying with BP, taking slaps on the ass and who knows what else for the right to do this. And who the hell didn't think this was gonna happen? :mad:

BTW my understanding of a 'junk shot' is that it might be a final effort kinda thing. All else fail lets bomb it. Hell, that sounds reasonable... :rolleyes:

Purple-Days,
You know, the main issue is that the well is so deep, they can't get to it reasonably to fix this.

So I propose a new regulation:

If the place you want to drill is so deep that you can't get to the well using conventional methods to fix it if something goes wrong, YOU CAN'T FUCKING DRILL THERE!

How's that sound? I think even the current retarded administration should be able to wrap their heads around that.

Howie Feltersnatch,

bcleez

How about the previous retarded administration that was all about letting anyone drill where ever they want... I still can't comprehend how Dick Cheny & Halliburton have not been brought up on charges of corruption... "Drill Baby Drill" never sounded better...

How about solar power? The government is in so much debt that they should basically give away solar panels for the rights to all the energy that is produced and not used. Over the long run they will make their money back AND they won't be funding the Saudis, Iran, Venezuela, etc.

bcleez,

Lycanthrope

King Of The Loons
We can send men to the moon and bring them back, design, and build immense orbiting space stations, design, build, and fly remote operated drone aircraft with attack capability, engineer and build Super Particle accelerators that examine subatomic particles on a quantum level, etc, etc, but we can't drill for oil without fucking it up. No, we can drill for oil without fucking it up. The technology exists, but it costs money. The oil companies are interested in making money and lots of it. Their bottom line is money, money, and more money. Using and implementing safety technology costs money that would cut into their bottom line. The technology exists, and its not super science or esoteric engineering, it's basic, but expensive. All safety systems should be double or tripple redundancy. Do you think that the space shuttle and the space station doesn't have double or tripple redundancy. Sure they do; peoples lives depend on it. Well, peoples lives depend on safe oil drilling too. Those robber barron oil companies border on being criminal. They should be charged and prosecuted. They are no better than enviromental terrorists. Thier actions impact the national security of our country. The oil companies attitude is fuck the environment, fuck the welfare of the populace, lets make money with the least investment possible. It's all their bottom line and greed. Their cost cutting bullshit has got to be stopped, and they need to be held accountable at all levels. You watch, now the finger pointing starts and the lawyers get rich. If it sounds like I'm pissed I am, very pissed. :mad: :mad:

Lycanthrope,

Purple-Days

This goes much further back in time than GWB or WJC or GHWB. Oh they have all been in on it, they have read the big book. I said they would show Barrack the big book... they did and 'Bush Light' is the result.

Most of you won't remember the 'Arab Oil Embargo' and you won't remember that 'Our' gov'ment did nothing to reduce our oil dependence since that time.

Weak... From a long term strategy standpoint, you have to lean back and wonder why???

BTW who owns Exxon, BP etc. and when you are done with that tell us who controls the worlds money. And isn't that what this is all about?

Anybody who stood in line pushing your car forward, as the gas was dispensed in limited quantities has known for the last 38 years that this would end badly. The worst is yet to come. This isn't over with a minor oil spill. The big curtain is still in place and nobody see's how impudent and impotent the 'wizard' is. He will be behind the curtain for many years to come, we can't see him. :2c:

Purple-Days,

Qbit

cannabanana
You people seen 'Fight Club'? Well you know Edward Norton's character's job? It's working for auto manufacturers to determine whether particular models with safety issues should be recalled or not:

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

Same deal with oil wells, with somewhat bigger stakes - but it's still just one big poker game to those responsible, and the turtles and dolphins and shit are the chips. It all comes down to a bunch of actuaries and their mathematical equations. Society and the natural world are just an arena for the forces of economic psychopathy to run rampant.

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
Society and the natural world are just an arena for the forces of economic psychopathy to run rampant.
I really like that. Very well put together. I may want to use that in my sig at a different site. Would you allow me to?

lwien,

Qbit

cannabanana
lwien said:
Qbit said:
Society and the natural world are just an arena for the forces of economic psychopathy to run rampant.
I really like that. Very well put together. I may want to use that in my sig at a different site. Would you allow me to?
Youre most welcome Lwien. :) As long as I get a commission. ;)

Qbit,

lwien

Thanks. But I won't take it as my own. It'll read:

--Qbit

It's just the way I gotta do it. :/

lwien,

Qbit

cannabanana
lwien said:

--Qbit

Hehe yeah go for it. Hey which forum is this by the way? I'm always interested in checking out different online communities.

Qbit,

lwien

Qbit said:
lwien said:

--Qbit

Hehe yeah go for it. Hey which forum is this by the way? I'm always interested in checking out different online communities.
Don't know yet. Kinda keepin' it in my back pocket.
Maybe grasscity, but I think only a few over there would understand what in the hell it meant.

lwien,
Top Bottom