• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tek for: Extraction Artists

what tek do you use and prefer?

• Total voters

farscaper

Last edited:

herbivore21

Lol, this thread should be renamed the 'Vacuum Pump Thread'.

Hey a quick question, you guys have seen my shatter - do you think it could benefit from a vac at all? I have been refining my technique non stop lately, but I wanna see if anything hardware wise could help.

Gotta get my hands on some good filter screens too ;)

For reference:

DuIA0gr.jpg

ThUOkXR.jpg

vrr788.jpg

aBJ0U2b.jpg

Last edited:

DogBoy

know fear
...I am thinking a vacuum chamber might be the first piece of equipment I might actually need to buy...

...this is a great thread by any name, imho....

...the extraction does not seem like rocket science but things do seem to get complicated once the purging begins....

farscaper

if your going to mess with butane or closed loop you need to know how to properly purge first. I think your on the right path for sure. get a vac first and you will thank yourself later.

farscaper

i do use it to reclaim, but only on my solo stems really. i plug them, fill them, and then they soak for days or even weeks. my water tools get rinsed nightly so reclaim does not really build up.

regarding the price of EC... im lucky on that front. its distilled only a couple miles from my house. so i can get a reg bottle for about $15.
@2clicker lol your only a few hours drive away man. :D

I moved over to this thread cause I like where this conversation is going but dont wanna clutter the pic thread.

I was not impressed with the cold evap of iso... eth does much better in my opinion... perhaps becuse it binds better eith the water that is inside it already. so ethanol actually evaporates more evenly, where as 91 iso seems to leave a stubborn water puddle... which seems to me to be caused by isopropyl alcohol evaporating faster than its water constituents... obviously not binding well? but I did get to try the green off treatment of destroying chlorophyll. the sun did ok.... I didnt have direct sun by the time I put iy in the window... but actually a 25watt cfl bulb is equally as effective.... with less likelyhood of uv exposure damage...

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
I know I'm an f'n new guy here and this is my first post here, but I have read and researched quite a bit before I started doing this just recently...so I will not claim expertise or anything like that...I am merely stating what I've found and how I do things and I'm not saying this is the only way...
I thought water and ISO make an azeotrope which brings the boiling points of the two much, much closer. I have seen the boiling point of 91% ISO to be about 176-177*F which should mean that they should evaporate fairly simultaneously. This has been my experience thus far. I use an induction cooktop with a pot of water and a pyrex pie dish on top. I try very hard to keep the temp of the pyrex between 110-120*F (using a laser thermometer) and will pull off of the heat for a couple minutes if I see it getting above that. I leave just a tiny bit of runny material and pull off. I have not had any issues with leftover water as it seems the water and ISO leave somewhat together. I then let it cool for a while then put back on the heat for just a couple minutes; doing this seems to get it from a more sticky (not too bad though) to a much harder, less sticky derivative.
Now, as I've said, I am by far no expert. Does what I've illustrated make sense?

CrazyDiamond,

farscaper

an azeotrope is a mixture of two or more liquids that proportions cannot be altered by distillation... but evaporation and distilation are not same thing.

I was also evaporating at aprox 73°F (room temp) with moving air. which is likely why I noticed such separation... but I should be noted that this is when compaired to a ethanol evaporation under identical parameters.

this has little to do with final purging... I speak mearly at the point of room temp evap.

so really its not a matter of at what point do theg both boil... but rather at what rate does each evaporate at a temp far below boiling point.

Last edited:

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Exactly, I too am not "worried" about the boiling point...I was merely trying to illustrate that when they are together, with a little heat applied, they seem to evaporate at almost the same rate (these are purely visible, naked eye, observations). This is also why I mentioned I am by far no expert and I have no idea at what temperature and rate that these things occur (which is why I stay between 110-120*F, I don't want boiling ISO, water, or oil for that matter...just want to hasten the evap process as I can't leave anything out due to living situation...everything done at night, in my room, fans on, window open, everything blowing outwards away from fan...I even have a mini freezer in my closet!).
BTW farscaper, great avatar of Ka D'Argo...I am a HUGE Farcsape fan...it ended so badly and far, far too short a run, wish they could bring it back, but the guy who did Rygel's voice has passed on sadly.

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: farscaper

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Doobie snacks? :nod:

Back on topic...for QWISO runs, what seems to be the consensus for final purge?

CrazyDiamond,

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I agree that 91% iso leaves what should be a nice batch of shatter a goopy mess. After trying to use 91% twice I switched to 99% iso purchased off Amazon for not much more than 91% purchased in store and it's great.

Slightly off subject ... I've read that this organic grape alcohol is supposed to be the bees knees for retaining terpes but I'm too cheap to test it out at this point.

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/organic-grape-alcohol/organic-grape-alcohol-1-gallon

farscaper

I agree that 91% iso leaves what should be a nice batch of shatter a goopy mess. After trying to use 91% twice I switched to 99% iso purchased off Amazon for not much more than 91% purchased in store and it's great.

Slightly off subject ... I've read that this organic grape alcohol is supposed to be the bees knees for retaining terpes but I'm too cheap to test it out at this point.

http://organicalcohol.com/store/index.php/organic-grape-alcohol/organic-grape-alcohol-1-gallon
I know... the price tag is ouch! I would have already given it a go myself otherwise

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Holy crap that's expensive! I unfortunately have to use 91% again due to living situation. 99% has to be signed for when delivered and I can't be there to intercept. I have also called every damn place that would carry 99 (even checked a janitorial supply)...no one around here has it (small town). Also, with the 91, I've never had a goopy mess with the tek that I've tried (which of course always needs refinement/fine tuning).

2clicker

Observer
Holy crap that's expensive! I unfortunately have to use 91% again due to living situation. 99% has to be signed for when delivered and I can't be there to intercept. I have also called every damn place that would carry 99 (even checked a janitorial supply)...no one around here has it (small town). Also, with the 91, I've never had a goopy mess with the tek that I've tried (which of course always needs refinement/fine tuning).

look up your local Grainger. they sell it over the counter. if they dont have it in stock they can have it for you next day.

that way you dont have to have it shipped. check out part # 3WHL3.

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
2clicker, you are the man! I just got off chat with Grainger...the closest one is 30 miles from me and they are not open on the weekends...HOWEVER...they told me that I can order online and that the delivery does NOT have to be signed for like it is with Amazon. I will copy and paste my chat with them...

Thank you for contacting Grainger, this is LaSundria. I would be happy to assist you today.

me: Hello, I was wanting to order part number 3WHL3, the closest store is 30 miles and they are only open during the week so I can't really go unless I take time off work. If I ordered online and it was shipped to me, do I have to physically sign for it?

LaSundria: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

LaSundria: I'll be right with you.

LaSundria: No you do not have to sign for it

me: oh awesome, that's good to know

me: thank you, I know amazon requires signature

LaSundria: You're welcome

LaSundria: We do not require one unless requested by customer

LaSundria: Is there anything else I can help you with today?

me: no that will be it, thank you and have a great weekend

So, hope for us that can't find 99% at local stores! Unfortunately, I over did it purchasing 91% from Target as I have about 8 of the big 32oz. bottles still left :(

CrazyDiamond,

farscaper

I dont "drink" alcohol hardly ever anymore... except new years... it fulfils solvent purposes lol.

but i do enjoy a good white widow... erp.
891430_750426921667395_1198145779_n.jpg

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
mmmmmmm......bbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeerrrr :mmmm:

Oh ya, speaking of, World of Beer tonight!

And that's some nice looking widow there D'Argo, I mean farscaper!

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: 2clicker

wootze

The Kleen Xtract mentioned earlier totals $108/gallon delivered to NC. Organic, 100% alcohol. I ordered a gallon. Not trying for shatter here but medicinal full extract oil. I'm curious how it will work out.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
The Kleen Xtract gallon is $80 and a quart is $24.95. $36.20 shipped. I'm gonna give this a try!

Top Bottom