• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tek for: Extraction Artists

what tek do you use and prefer?

• Total voters

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
Here's what Skunk Pharm says about it:

These light green hues are easily removed without the more involved and extreme measures that I will follow up with, and is as simple as putting a jar of the oil suspended in an ethanol tincture, in sunlight or a light from a high UV source, like a grow lamp.

The UV radiation in the sunlight will quickly break down the chlorophyll and the breakdown products are amber, so the green color disappears.

Alas, UV radiation also destroys cannabinoids, but fortunately at a much slower rate, and three or four hours in the sun is usually enough.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/getting-the-green-and-waxes-out-afterwards/

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
right on. i use skunkpharm tek myself, but i dont blast butane. i use their qwet tek.

thanks for the info! my washes are short and never come out green, but if they do i will know how to remedy it.
Yeah its mainly just for if you mess up or use less than ideal starting material.

Jared,
Reactions: 2clicker

farscaper

so, does size of vacuum chamber matter? I mean I see big 3 gallon stock pots down to 3cup pyrex vessels so is this strickly a scaling thing or does having a larger vacuum chamber benefit in any way I wonder?

Wizsteve

@Wizsteve that would definitely yield oil, however the hot water processing would boil off all the low temp terpenes would you think? cold water cure can achieve the same end results over a long term... but in my experience it still removes pretty much all volatile low water soluble compounds and leaves behind that typical shwag dry grass hay smell...

yep it does which is not a bad thing at all.this honey oil is pure very high yields and has a flavor of its own
didn't matter of what strain you use with this process it taste the same.

as cold water for long time doesn't do the same with heat more is removed.

they did not invent this process this is the way it's been done for i don't how long (50- 100 years, longer most likely idk) this is the same process used for extraction of many other plants.(water than solvent )
((with other plants the water itself would be distilled also depending on polarity and the drugs/medicine
wanted)) this is just basic chemistry .

i don't expect ppl to switch back to the old ways just letting you know how it was done
way back when .(however try this some time you might be surprised)

Wizsteve,

baltik

I have never been able to successfully rid my QWET/QWISO concentrates of alcohol taste they have always retained some harshness and aftertaste even after extremely long, low heat, thin film evaporation sessions. I have also tried high heat causing my concentrate to degrade and still retain some of the alcohol aftertaste.... Can anyone share their TEK outside of the usual double boiler method? Vacuum pump etc? Maybe I am just super sensitive to the taste?

baltik,
Reactions: 215z

Wizsteve

I have never been able to successfully rid my QWET/QWISO concentrates of alcohol taste they have always retained some harshness and aftertaste even after extremely long, low heat, thin film evaporation sessions. I have also tried high heat causing my concentrate to degrade and still retain some of the alcohol aftertaste.... Can anyone share their TEK outside of the usual double boiler method? Vacuum pump etc? Maybe I am just super sensitive to the taste?

are you using water? use distilled water to remove the alcohol double boiler work fine that part, to remove the water i move to a hot plate and pour in heated glass pie dish slowly swirling it around and around (becomes a art after a while)if your already using water than use more

Wizsteve,

herbivore21

Wow, I didn't realise this convo between the illustrious Mvapes, myself and some others become a thread!

I am about to try my first flavour experiment with different strains :D

Mango Dream x THC Bomb, doing a 2oz run soon, pics to follow!

Many of you will know that I use QWISO strictly, with some ethanol winterization if things get curly for some reason. BHO is not an option. Still, I get super tasty (takes the pepsi challenge with BHO any day of the week) see through shatter that looks marvelous!

AGLCqRF.jpg

Let's see what happens when two strains become one shatter!

Also, @2clicker - sunlight will degrade actives, but at a much slower rate than the chlorophyll degrades. As such, so long as you don't leave you material in the sun too long, you'll be ok :)

herbivore21,
Reactions: jimbo

herbivore21

...this needs to be said again, methinks....
What does? Lol

Oh, watch out man, we are not meant to post just to bump threads around here. Since you're a new member I figured I'd let you know (I am no mod or anything) :)

Still, this thread has consistently been on the first page of the concentrates section here for the last 6 months or so :) Don't expect it to go anywhere!

herbivore21,

DogBoy

know fear
those are not closed loop extraction systems those are vacuum purge systems. a closed loop system would be like the tamisium or the terpenator.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221466305425?nav=SEARCH

http://m.ebay.com/itm/281338784353?nav=SEARCH

...the $1550 system here has a 20 lbs reclamation tank and a 6 cmf pump...

...there is another system available from the same merchant at the same price that has what appears to be a second collection tank as a reclamation tank and a 3 cm pump...

...what are the ramifications of this difference...???...

...is there an advantage to 6 vs 3 cm pump..???...

...is the reason that there are still a couple of the smaller capacity reclamation pumps available mean they are deficient or undesirable...???...

...the system with the 3 cm pump is speced at 4 lbs capacity compared to the 20 lb capacity of the sold out system...

...sometimes less is more...is there a reason one would need a 20 lbs sovlent...

mod note: I hope you figure out how to work the internet soon. 3 :shrug: posts deleted.

Last edited:
DogBoy,

DogBoy

know fear
What does? Lol

Oh, watch out man, we are not meant to post just to bump threads around here. Since you're a new member I figured I'd let you know (I am no mod

Still, this thread has consistently been on the first page of the concentrates section here for the last 6 months or so :) Don't expect it to go anywhere!

...thanks....starting to see how the browser werks...

...thanks to Mello Mod for cleaning up my mess...

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
...the $1550 system here has a 20 lbs reclamation tank and a 6 cmf pump...

...there is another system available from the same merchant at the same price that has what appears to be a second collection tank as a reclamation tank and a 3 cm pump...

...what are the ramifications of this difference...???...

...is there an advantage to 6 vs 3 cm pump..???...

...is the reason that there are still a couple of the smaller capacity reclamation pumps available mean they are deficient or undesirable...???...

...the system with the 3 cm pump is speced at 4 lbs capacity compared to the 20 lb capacity of the sold out system...

...sometimes less is more...is there a reason one would need a 20 lbs sovlent...

mod note: I hope you figure out how to work the internet soon. 3 :shrug: posts deleted.

If you are serious about buying a closed loop system I'd consider this one from the same guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Closed-Loop.../281369239662?pt=BI_Pumps&hash=item4182e9e06e

I've had my eye on that kit ... the seller is a real stand up guy. I bought my vac chamber from him when he was using foam neoprene gaskets and when I saw he switched to a silicone gasket I messaged him and he sent me one of the new gaskets free of charge!

As far as vac pumps go I've read that 3 cfm is the minimum that should be used and I agree. My 1.5 cfm pump doesn't get the job done unless I raise the temps higher than I'd like during the purge while my 5 cfm pump is great for purging at low temps.

http://www.amazon.com/FJC-6912-Vacu...8&qid=1404187411&sr=8-10&keywords=vacuum+pump

The only time you'd need 20 lbs of solvent for a single run is if you were running pounds and pounds at a time.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: farscaper

DogBoy

know fear
...thanks...it looked like a good set up from a good merchant but I know nothing...

...I see your strategy would save some $$$ and provide a more powerful pump...

...I remain confused as to the mechanics involved...does the solvent loop through the system after chaging it or does the solvent make a one way trip through the system to the reclamation tank...???...

DogBoy,

farscaper

if you know NOTHING dont bother buying a closed loop... you will just blow it up.

go and educate yourself on closed loops and how they operate before you drop a K on something than when operated by a novice can lead to deadly results.

CLOSED LOOPS ARE FOR PRO EXTRACTION ARTISTS NOT NOVICE OR BEGINNERS

DogBoy

know fear
...so a pressure guage would be advised....

...what do you think I am trying to do...!?!...

DogBoy,

Bouldorado

As far as vac pumps go I've read that 3 cfm is the minimum that should be used and I agree. My 1.5 cfm pump doesn't get the job done unless I raise the temps higher than I'd like during the purge while my 5 cfm pump is great for purging at low temps.

IMO heavy-duty pumps are unnecessary and a waste of money unless you're pretty much a professional extractor. I found this SkunkPharm article very convincing, and is the reason I no longer purge at the maximum vacuum my pump can achieve. If your chamber truly hits 75 microns, you'll boil off any desirable cannabinoids, dependent of course, on your oil's viscosity.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I agree with @Bouldorado and @farscaper - 50 microns is more than enough. Has anyone tried changing the the vac as you get deeper into the purge?

For example - I run full vac until my first flip. Let's say I'm running shatter. I keep the temp 98 to 110 max. After the first flip I reduce my vac pressure to about 28.5, when I get to my second flip I lower it again to around 28 then so on and so forth. What I'm getting is a bit more flavor in the final product but I see a HUGE difference in stability. I never get soft material anymore, shit comes out like glass.

Just wanted to see what ya'll are doing.

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
@mvapes The flipping definitely helped with the stability of mine as well. I was ending up with soft waxy stuff or crumble. The flip and lower temp on the initial purge ( 95F from one of you're earlier posts) helped my stability issues. I was originally doing the initial purge at 110-120F when evaporating the liquid 'tane.
Next run I will try lowering the vac with each flip.

DogBoy

know fear
...does anyone find irony in operating a closed system being regarded as more hazardous than blasting volitile solvents into a pan..???...

...the static electricity issues alone are enough to put me of...

...thanks for the skunk pharma link...I had found skunk pharma but not that thread...

...it looks like the best value system we are looking at is basically the comercial equivalent of the lil terp described at skunk pharma...

...I have not the welding skill to fabricate such a device so I am very seriously considering the device milehigh likes...

...I shall endeavor to become well enough informed to avoid exposions and aquire expertise in extracting various essential oils...

...the subtletis involved are indeed daunting and this is before considering the purge...

...for was it is worth what is the harm in a (well rated) 5 cmf pump @ $123 delivered vs an (included) 3 cmf pump @ $170...???...

...what is milehigh talking of as to lower Temps at higher vacumes...???...

...is that something I should look in FAQ for...???...

Last edited:
DogBoy,

DogBoy

know fear
...or, I could just keep reading... (DOH!)

...I (finally) spotted boulderado's post and realized we quickly get to the point where there are no set "answers" to some questions...

...I see that the lil terp may be well suited to a simple minded bloke such as me self but not allow some of the control over the purging as you are discussing. ..

...would one be better off with a separate vacume curing device...???...

....there is no vacum guage on lil terp...I have been trying to figger where/how to add one...

Last edited:
DogBoy,
Top Bottom