• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tek for: Extraction Artists

what tek do you use and prefer?

• Total voters

farscaper

@jdee couldnt agree more! the longer it sits and degrades on plant is what determines the color of the oil itself.

oxidation... the blessing & the curse

@walrus I will look into that. it would definitely help with using ss screen with high micron ratings as far as pressure goes, but how would it rate on its capacity for mechanical de-waxing?

does anyone actually use the polymer tubes from 316ss?

Last edited:
farscaper,

farscaper

personally I wish people were more open with all not just some information... its what keeps our community down.

I cant study under natty... whoever that is... all I know is art and science... and when we talk in riddles and clues it conflates the whole idea into just another capitalist piece of shit idea that makes me mad.

im not in it for money... or you... im in it for me and the knowledge!

I started a thread to discuss extracrion as this seems more a hey look what I got thread. and I don't want to mess it any more than I already have.

peace brothers and sisters. I love you all... but I hate secrets more!

@mvapes where are you purging your shit for that long? Can I honestly run my little pump for 100 hours? Also how are keeping exact constant temps? I just have a little hot plate lol.

VapeNStone,
Reactions: farscaper

walrus

Never really filtered out many waxes on the initial blast no matter the filter used. Most of my stuff is winterized so it's not really a concern I have. I don't have a vac at the moment and find winterizing to be the best way to ensure a proper purge. I occasionally have access to a friend's vac but it is too infrequently to really investigate single solvent dewaxing yet.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
Anyone try out whip-it premium butane yet? I think I might order a case and test it out unless someone's had problems with it. Looks very similar to Newport Zero but it's a little cheaper and the cans are 400ml instead of 300ml.

MileHighLife,
Reactions: farscaper

farscaper

@Wizsteve are you referring to steam distillation? water curing? freezer cure? tell me more man! :nod:

I use Capital Butane with great results at the moment @MileHighLife

@VapeNStone you can build a vacuum reservoir. im planning one now.

my design however bypassed the automating of the pump for a manual pump like the video. combined with large reservoir tanks I should only have to charge it every x number of hours... and since its manual the larger the tanks the better.

evs-mainsystem-label_zpse1d075f1.jpg

Last edited:

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I figured this would be a good place for this idea. I've been wondering, if one had plants that for this example they were ready to harvest the bud, could one instead of cutting off the buds, fill a mason jar with butane, and briefly, maybe ~30 seconds per bud branch, dip each branch? The idea here being retrieval of trichomes from the outside without (ideally) harming the plant. Then my hope would be that the trichomes would be regenerated over some period of time naturally by the plant. If it were feasible, it would be awesome to be able to harvest for oil say once a month, without death or harm (ideally) to the plant. If it did work, it would also be nice to know outcome percentage differences from this dipping method compared to the traditional methods to see what % of product was successfully extracted.

Interesting idea anyways, if anyone is in a position to give this a shot please do by all means

farscaper

I figured this would be a good place for this idea. I've been wondering, if one had plants that for this example they were ready to harvest the bud, could one instead of cutting off the buds, fill a mason jar with butane, and briefly, maybe ~30 seconds per bud branch, dip each branch? The idea here being retrieval of trichomes from the outside without (ideally) harming the plant. Then my hope would be that the trichomes would be regenerated over some period of time naturally by the plant. If it were feasible, it would be awesome to be able to harvest for oil say once a month, without death or harm (ideally) to the plant. If it did work, it would also be nice to know outcome percentage differences from this dipping method compared to the traditional methods to see what % of product was successfully extracted.

Interesting idea anyways, if anyone is in a position to give this a shot please do by all means
are you talking live extraction? cause unfortunately the cold shock from freezing butane would likely cause to much stress for the plant to handle. stick your finger in that jar and see how it feels... OUCH! :cry:

although they dont feel pain, they do feel stress... and it can kill them... or cryogenicly freeze em.

also, after a certain point of "psychoactive ripe-ness" the trichomes do not regenerate... so any amount of damage causes permanent loss of actives... ie when its actually rip enough to pick and flushed clean enough to extract its not going to grow anymore... infact it is a dying plant and you need to put it out of its misery and mummify that bitch!

:nod:

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
@farscaper I'm not sure why you want back pressure. I usually freeze my butane (capital) before a run. I also put several glass marbles in the tube on top of the flowers. This keeps the flowers from flying around in the tube and also helps evenly distribute the butane. Also allows for small runs in a long tube. The frozen butane cans are under less pressure so it it almost like pouring it over the flowers rather than blasting. Butane gets a longer dwell time because it takes longer to empty the can. Finish with a short blast from a room temperature can to remove all goodies.

farscaper

@farscaper I'm not sure why you want back pressure. I usually freeze my butane (capital) before a run. I also put several glass marbles in the tube on top of the flowers. This keeps the flowers from flying around in the tube and also helps evenly distribute the butane. Also allows for small runs in a long tube. The frozen butane cans are under less pressure so it it almost like pouring it over the flowers rather than blasting. Butane gets a longer dwell time because it takes longer to empty the can. Finish with a short blast from a room temperature can to remove all goodies.
because my tube is extremely short. its a cut down sstb my shortest only hold 4g packed tight. see its just a diffrent stroke really... I am a rather diffrent folk... I digress the back pressure provides the dwell time but In a much smaller space. the higher temperature provides a faster extraction time and the extremely confined space minimizes the ammount of butane to reach the same result...

my choices in extraction tech were specific to minimizing solvent and there by minimize purge time. most like to go down in temp... which increases dwell time... but I chose room temp to increase the solvents active extracrion capacity. the butane naturally freezes the plant material as it is injected so in such a small space with so little material chilling is counterproductive... not always but for my tech it is.... now.. if I were extracting with large amounts I would likely chill the material to trap moisture which will carry the chlorophyll.

@DieHard so how big of a tube do you use and how large is the usual extraction?

Last edited:
farscaper,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
My tube is 13". I can do anywhere from a couple of grams to 21g per run. My average is 10-12g
Edit: weights are starting material.

Wizsteve

@Wizsteve are you referring to steam distillation? water curing? freezer cure? tell me more man! :nod:

yes kinda like water curing and steam with the freezer too i guess.

when we made honey oil first thing we would do is steam or near a boil the herb in water we do this few times
each time carefully pouring (your trying not to damage the trics) out only the top of the water into a large pan (herb can be pushed down using a large cooking screen (restaurant cookware type stuff.)filter out the herb using a screen you will need to dry it out.cool down the water in the freezer till its near freezing use bubble bags to filter out any trics that may had come off during process wash trics with clean water. ((if you grow use the green water for your plants other wise toss out.))

once your herb is dry do your extraction not only will you get very pure oil, wax or shatter you also have some very good hash.

for us we would soak the herb in iso for a couple of weeks than filter that thru charcoal and reflux getting pure iso back for the next run.((you can take it a few steps if you want to convert the cbd to thc raising the thc percentage however this should not be needed with good product))

Wizsteve,
Reactions: Puffers

farscaper

@Wizsteve that would definitely yeild oil, however the hot water processing would boil off all the low temp terpenes would you think? cold water cure can achieve the same end results over a long term... but in my experence it still removes pretty much all volatile low water soluble compounds and leaves behind that typical shwag dry grass hay smell...

I think @Jared posted in the dab stash thread about removing chlorophyll and he linked a guide to removing chlorophyll from your extract.
dirty extract... clean it up.

im not sure but he may have also been purging some from a wash via... dun dun dun THE SUN
which basically just degrades the chlorophyll. maybe he will chime in here some time.

farscaper,
Reactions: Jared

2clicker

Observer
yes kinda like water curing and steam with the freezer too i guess.

when we made honey oil first thing we would do is steam or near a boil the herb in water we do this few times
each time carefully pouring (your trying not to damage the trics) out only the top of the water into a large pan (herb can be pushed down using a large cooking screen (restaurant cookware type stuff.)filter out the herb using a screen you will need to dry it out.cool down the water in the freezer till its near freezing use bubble bags to filter out any trics that may had come off during process wash trics with clean water. ((if you grow use the green water for your plants other wise toss out.))

once your herb is dry do your extraction not only will you get very pure oil, wax or shatter you also have some very good hash.

for us we would soak the herb in iso for a couple of weeks than filter that thru charcoal and reflux getting pure iso back for the next run.((you can take it a few steps if you want to convert the cbd to thc raising the thc percentage however this should not be needed with good product))

interesting, but wouldnt winterizing be easier and less time consuming?

2clicker,

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
I think @Jared posted in the dab stash thread about removing chlorophyll and he linked a guide to removing chlorophyll from your extract.
dirty extract... clean it up.

im not sure but he may have also been purging some from a wash via... dun dun dun THE SUN
which basically just degrades the chlorophyll. maybe he will chime in here some time.
Yep if you'll dissolve your extract in ISO or ethanol and sit it in direct sunlight for about 3 hours it'll go from green to amber. Then if you wanna make it extra clean just stick it in the freezer for 48hr and filter.

Before:
IbiYgeU.jpg

After:
5HJvBJr.jpg

Last edited:

farscaper

Yep if you'll dissolve your extract in ISO or ethanol and sit it in direct sunlight for about 3 hours it'll go from green to amber. Then if you wanna make it extra clean just stick it in the freezer for 48hr and filter.

Before:
IbiYgeU.jpg

After:
5HJvBJr.jpg
why iso? will ethanol work too? ive personally never tried it.... but I usually put once run material saved up and then extract with ethanol.... I will try this perhaps equal qt. oil re dissolved in equal parts each iso and eth and see how they time laps.

and boy does that flip technique work @mvapes! like the bees knees! not even using a vac atm and it is helping 10 fold!

farscaper,
Reactions: 2clicker

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
why iso? will ethanol work too? ive personally never tried it.... but I usually put once run material saved up and then extract with ethanol.... I will try this perhaps equal qt. oil re dissolved in equal parts each iso and eth and see how they time laps.

and boy does that flip technique work @mvapes! like the bees knees! not even using a vac atm and it is helping 10 fold!
Jared said:
dissolve your extract in ISO or ethanol

Yep you must've just glanced over it in my post. I've heard ethanol works better and leaves the final product tasting better. Haven't had the chance to try it yet though. I'm saving up a bunch of keef and random weed that I plan on eventually extracting with ethanol.

2clicker

Observer
Yep if you'll dissolve your extract in ISO or ethanol and sit it in direct sunlight for about 3 hours it'll go from green to amber.

wouldnt that sunlight degrade your actives?

and why do that if you are going to winterize anyway? seems like a lot of extra work for minimal results...?

2clicker,

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
wouldnt that sunlight degrade your actives?

and why do that if you are going to winterize anyway? seems like a lot of extra work for minimal results...?
Winterizing doesn't get rid of chlorophyll, and it takes much longer for sun light to start to degrade cannabinoids than than it does to break down the chlorophyll. And the results are anything but minimal.

2clicker

Observer
Winterizing doesn't get rid of chlorophyll, and it takes much longer for sun light to start to degrade cannabinoids than than it does to break down the chlorophyll. And the results are anything but minimal.

i was under the assumption that winterization does remove chlorophyll. good to know.

also good to know that 3 hours of direct sunlight will not degrade the goods. i have always kept my washes/evaps in the dark. sounds like its a non issue...?

Top Bottom