• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Tek for: Extraction Artists

what tek do you use and prefer?

• Total voters

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
This post and 35 responses have been copied from the "Share That Dab Stash" pic thread.

Ran some Kong the other day, awesome strain with a high yield. On 14g's I cleared 5.3!

IMG_20140610_222839_zpsgwx1wjng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

kingtut106

Ran some Kong the other day, awesome strain with a high yield. On 14g's I cleared 5.3!

IMG_20140610_222839_zpsgwx1wjng.jpg
That's a 37.8% yield...are you an extraction god by chance. But seriously did you grow this strain yourself, I'm dying to know more about it.

kingtut106,

Jared

Cannabis Enthusiast
That's a 37.8% yield...are you an extraction god by chance. But seriously did you grow this strain yourself, I'm dying to know more about it.
Yea those numbers really don't add up....your weed would have had to have like over 40% THC which as far as I know has never happened.

Jared,

herbivore21

^ Not necessarily 40% THC (there are loads of other cannabinoids), but you have definitely not washed for too long, that shatter is looking good! So you must surely have the most trich soaked buds I have ever heard of, and my current buds are so soaked in trichs that the leaves have yellow layers of kief over them, no visible green!!

How did you do this run, do you per chance have a pic of the starting material? I'd love to see those flowers lol

5g is the most I get out of a full ounce of high end flowers! The latter runs are nowhere near as lightly coloured as yours either!

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
I ran it in a low temp vac for about 2 days. I extracted with capital and the initial purge never broke 95 degrees. I also don't grind my nug anymore, I find I get a much higher yield. I've also never seen anything like Kong, crazy fucking sticky and it was covered in trichs. I also decarbonized it for 24 hours at room temperature drying the material a bit. I also find that when under vac I retain product by flipping it continuously rather then 1 or two times. It keeps the larger bubbles from breaking and releasing terps and actually clearing the tane from the underside.

I also use a gas leak detector wand after I pull it to make sure she's clean. I just met a guy today that goes 100 hours under vac - I'm trying the same on my next run.

This was the beginning product...

cfef9a6e-1833-4c02-b765-935e18732e8a_zpswf12yuos.jpg

Now here's some mighty mite (not my run) but purged for 100 hours with decending temps from 145 down ending at 120.

20140614_105418_zpsbwkdjqf5.jpg

It is the fucking strongest thing I've ever had!

Here's Blue Dream - I was luck to end up with 12% on this run.

IMG_20140611_201143_zpsrwnmpjvq.jpg

We start with a Tamisium extractor this week. I can't wait to share results with you guys!

Oh, I've also been using a Buchner Funnel to extract. Huge difference in final quality.

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
It would be enlightening to read your posts on how to build your own closed loop system. For butane, or iso or ethanol.

That's a great idea! I will put together a photo journal of the closed loop system. It will be a bho set up. Currently were looking for a heated chamber for absolute precision. My thought's are the $500 Heat Vac. Great for an entry level extraction. The bigger ovens that run in excess of $1000 (from what I've heard) don't really do well at the lower temps unless you go for he 2 and 3 thousand dollars.

Ole Mvapes ain't got that kinda loot at the moment.

mzUiHDXyhyBrkemVfZ2FOAA.jpg

mvapes,

farscaper

That's a great idea! I will put together a photo journal of the closed loop system. It will be a bho set up. Currently were looking for a heated chamber for absolute precision. My thought's are the $500 Heat Vac. Great for an entry level extraction. The bigger ovens that run in excess of $1000 (from what I've heard) don't really do well at the lower temps unless you go for he 2 and 3 thousand dollars.

Ole Mvapes ain't got that kinda loot at the moment.

mzUiHDXyhyBrkemVfZ2FOAA.jpg
I think @DieHard has a pretty good solution for that. he showed us his setup in ghe noobs thread... ill see if I can find it and edit a link. but he was using a thermal controler. I think that with a censor leed that runs through the lid inside the chamber will give you fairly precise hest control.

here:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/concentrates-for-noobs-q-a.13783/page-15

farscaper,

hanfhead

is high
I have a roll of flexwatt heat tape, it is made for under-floor heating. I use it to heat snake enclosures. I have been using a piece of that to heat my vac chamber. It is only around 2-3 dollars per foot.

F4hDDGz.jpg

And I use a 30 dollar hydrofarm heat mat thermosatat to control it. The thermostat has a probe that I put between the mat and the bottom of the vac. Temperatures are stable within a few degrees.

yWYR9ss.jpg

hanfhead,
Reactions: Hashassin

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
I saw that set up.

They are 250 for the kit on ebay and there's even a kit called the shattervac from the same seller, but I couldn't find out if this was a closed loop.

By closed loop I mean that the solvent gets run through a tubing system that cools it and stores it after it has been evaporated.

Like I know that ISO has an evap temperature of 98.6 F and if I were to evaporate it when purging my concentrates I could reclaim the ISO by running it through some tubing and cooling it to room temperature again.

At least that's what I had referred to as a closed loop system, because you don't waste your solvent like evaporating would.

Or does closed loop system refer to something else?

Anyone know if there's kits like that around and how much they cost? Or if it would be better to build your own.

thisperson,

DieHard

Accessory supplier
Accessory Maker
Bestvaluevacs.com has a closed loop system listed, I think around $1500. Mine is not closed loop. That's on the wish list next. My vac chamber and pump was $230 shipped. The BBQ guru/Power Raptor was $300. I have to say I never thought that I would be using it for this purpose even though I've been making URL for many years. It is part of my tech to make a smoked pork shoulder to die for. :nod:

DieHard,

thisperson

Ruler of all things person
Hmm. Those are interesting and what I was looking for. Kind of.

I'm more of the smokes for one and smokes out his cousin occasionally. Not looking to make a lot.

Are there no closed loop extraction systems for smaller loads?

I just want to do it as efficiently as possible when I try it and it'd be nice to save the solvent costs.

It'd be daunting but I kind of want to try building my own if anyone has made one and wouldn't mind posting a How to. I just don't have the know how. :/

I think it'd need a chamber with a curved tubing leading to a tank collector/bucket and something to cool the tubing. Is there something I'm missing?

thisperson,

farscaper

Bestvaluevacs.com has a closed loop system listed, I think around $1500. Mine is not closed loop. That's on the wish list next. My vac chamber and pump was $230 shipped. The BBQ guru/Power Raptor was $300. I have to say I never thought that I would be using it for this purpose even though I've been making URL for many years. It is part of my tech to make a smoked pork shoulder to die for. :nod:
are you gonna marinade it in honey oil?
:o

I think you may have defined nirvana there:love:

farscaper,
Reactions: DieHard

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
Currently I use a grill like most. Water transmits heat very well with PTFE. I want to eliminate the heat source completely and isolate it to the chamber. I'm a bit of freak about my erl and want consistency. It's so amazing how different strains act under under a vacuum with temperature control. Using water is good once at a solid temp but extremely slow when temperature needs to change. Typical vacuum chambers are awesome but think about the fact that the heat is direct at the bottom. And yes, I understand that most keep them in a bath or a top an upside down pyrex dish but guess what? Again, an extremely slow and unevenly heated environment.

However, with an actual heated vac you using radiant even heat and precise internal temperature control.

Don't get me wrong, I've been running the other way like you guy's for a while but I want to be better. I'm sure a lot of you share my passion for oil making. It's not just about the material, it's an art. I love meeting with other oil guys and learning their ways.

It's all pretty cool if you ask me.

The best value closed looped butane systems are on sale for 900. Just ordered one. I promise to document the first run here.

farscaper

I know there are a few alchemist out there who have been honing their tek and skills to a fine art.

This is a place to feel free to gloat about your skills a bit. the one stipulation is that you gotta share that tek!

show off those little known skills to perfect those extracts.

farscaper

I assumed that would fall under the flask tek. Since it is a soak.

This is not a solvent specific thread.
all tek is welcome. but it would be nice to limit it to participating artists.

that last catagory is reserved for actual experience with supercriticals like CO2 and O2 ive even heard of supercritical N so id be like Wtf. I recall a cat on here making a powdered toast concentrate. thats for the crazy shit with pics to back it!:rockon:

in retrospect I should have just left the survey off really... :doh: but its there so have fun with it!:tup:

Last edited:
farscaper,
Reactions: 2clicker

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I had to vote tube blasting ( with butane ). I've tried all the others with the exception of closed loop tamasium devices and the best in my opinion is blasting through a very tightly packed tube. Some people would argue diameter would make a difference, yet with this in mind, I use a honeybee which has a 1"+ diameter. I base my analysis off of the yield % pulled efficiently per wash. Meaning that, which method gets the most product efficiently on the first run. Blasting through a tube has a much, much smaller second return then any other method, thus proving to me that the first wash is retrieving more of the wanted material from the flowers. When doing a second wash with other soak methods I usually retrieve more on the second wash, making me believe that the method is less efficient. And Im sure anyone who runs twice can agree that the first runs taste is much better then the second, so the more overall product I can pull into the first run, the better I feel the method is. Hence why I selected tube blasting. IMO anyways...

kingtut106

I've done tube blasting with butane, thermos with butane, and thermos with everclear. That was until I started getting apocalypse extract and lets just say nothing comes close when you have that equipment and starting material. I vac purged my product for 2-3 days to get minimal residues, but the real difference comes from the starting material. They have everything dialed in from the day the clip and cure the nugs to the pressure/temperature during extraction. As much as I thought my tek was dialed I did not have those parameters as well defined every time with the techniques mentioned above. Don't get me wrong blasting your own is worth it compared to most stuff out there, but if you have access to lab produced wax it really can't be beat unless you are growing your own and taking it from soil to oil.
yHuK988.jpg

Top Bottom