Pen Focus Vaporizer

newguy3

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying my first vape. I want something that truly vapes (no comubustion) and I want something fairly cheap (around $100). I kind of have it narrowed down to the focus and the xmax v2 pro. Which would you guys suggest? Also dry herb would be the main use but I'd like to dabble in some concentrates as well... Pun intended lol

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@newguy3 - the link below is a very detailed review I did not long ago that compares the Focus to the Xmax. Everything you want to know when comparing the two devices.......

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/focus-vaporizer.20357/page-5#post-956284

There is a 'Wax Pod' accessory for the Focus but I have no experience with it and there isn't much info out there on the Focus Wax Pod. Here's a link to the Wax Pod on the PuffItUp (PIU) site. PIU is a well respected vendor around here.

http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Ceramic-Wax-Pod-p/fcv.112-wax_cart.htm

ENJOY and Welcome Aboard!

His_Highness,
Reactions: newguy3

London Vaper

Long time lurker finally signed up. I have owned every decent portable on the market except the firefly.

Mighty is clearly the best but i cough way too much with it and even with the bubbler i cough way too much. I like to extract everything out of the bud & at highest possible temp. I vape due to stealth reasons not health & as a result i have found the mighty very frustrating.

I really enjoyed my Flowermates had the 5s & mini pro but the material constantly clogging the mp was annoying.

The arizers heat up too slow & too much draw restriction, the pax was too fiddly although the pax 2 does look good.

I am tempted by the Forefly 2 but i need dense clouds and dont know if will fail to deliver those at the expense of taste.

So the Focus Vape... I like it because it feels nice in your hand & can draw it like a ciggerette, could easily be mistaken for an ecig. Love the fast heat up time, no annoying screens in mouthpiece ceramic one is fine or could easily modify & add standard ss screen if u like.

So what it all comes down to is vapour quality - Clouds are big enough and as a cloud chaser i am satisfied with them so should be adequate for most. Now this is the catch 22 - I like to vape as high as possible to get as close to a smoking high as possible & on the focus vape this is possible which i love as the vapour is not too hot that it makes me keep coughing which as i said is the reason i dont use my mighty & unlike the mighty i can draw mouth to lung not direct to lung which i prefer as i find it irritates my lungs less. This though is at the expense of taste as more or less every bud i put in this tastes the same - popcorny. Even at low temps if you are all about flavour this vape isnt for you.

Im used to blasting a pipe tainted with that nasty butane taste on top and living in East London all the weed we get is shit haze so for me id rather get higher at high temps with popcorn taste which i find better than a pipe than get less with more flavour at lower so for me this vape is ideal for my needs.

I am married with kids i cant get a desktop, use a bong etc i vape in the bathroom or in my car to get high not taste so for me this vape due to fast heat up time & ability to vape at high temps without coughing.

If ur on the fence about this vapourizer get it as it is all it seems to be without any annoying bugs.

And for those who say vaping don't get u as high, ive googled this for years and debated this daily in my head for years. I dont care about the science just what i feel & to be honest i still dont know. I just know that after giving up on mighty due to coughing fits i started smoking again and after 2 week's i felt like shit not breathing wise just sedated and i thought thats what i was chasing before but i see now its a case of wanting what u cant have not whats better. Also the stress of hiding smell from family it ruins my high with vaping im alot more chilled out about the whole activity it dosent build to become something big in my head as a result i vape less cuz im thinking about it less again wanting what i cant have. I used think i need to smoke to sleep when in reality smoking kept me up longer as i woild be asleep but my mind would be racing so it was poor quality sleep & i always woke up groggy. Admittedly without smoking it is harder to get into bed as i dont feel like im tired enough to sleep so for my sins i do occssionaly prescribe myself a pinner joint which as i hardly smoke now does the job nicely in terms of getting me to sleep without thoughts racing through my mind. Out here u get what u get from ur dealer no choices of indica/sativa

I Look forward to becoming a part of this community, hopefully this is the vape to keep my hsnds off that dreaded lighter.

Come on England!! Euro 2016

London Vaper

So last night i discovered something. The clouds you get from the mighty is attributed to the draw technique. The mighty is a straight to lung whereas most are mouth to lung.

When you sub ohm vape you draw straight to lung hence large clouds same principle.

So my point is with the focus vape you can draw straight to lung and get clouds 90% comparable to my mighty but those clouds i can hold not burn my chest or have a coughing fit but if u prefer you can smoke on it like joint aswell. This is a major pro for me. Also fact i can remove battery to charge means i dont have a sticky device under my bed so adds to the stealth factor and it feels so nice in my hand im really enjoying it.

Besides from it not being the best tssting device (not bad just not the best) this is easily my favourite portable.

Im not one for price, reputation & science. Were all different so its not about what you read its about what suits & works for each individual.

His_Highness

I just got the new digital version with the bubbler from @stickstones. I'm giving it a detail beat down as we speak. I'm so impressed with it I wanted to get a quick teaser review in.

The digital is a nice step up. Easier to use, better/more tactile buttons and almost infinite selection of temps. Starts at lower temps and goes past 428 F to 464 F now.

The real game changer for me is the bubbler. Love the visual feedback, additional smoothness at higher temps and the quality look and feel for small $'s. The premium package with the bubbler included is a real class act too. Not sure if they're available in the premium package yet since I couldn't find it on the Focus web site.

I'll post the detail review once I get done with the in-depth testing.

McQuack

I just got the new digital version with the bubbler from @stickstones. I'm giving it a detail beat down as we speak. I'm so impressed with it I wanted to get a quick teaser review in.

The digital is a nice step up. Easier to use, better/more tactile buttons and almost infinite selection of temps. Starts at lower temps and goes past 428 F to 464 F now.

The real game changer for me is the bubbler. Love the visual feedback, additional smoothness at higher temps and the quality look and feel for small $'s. The premium package with the bubbler included is a real class act too. Not sure if they're available in the premium package yet since I couldn't find it on the Focus web site.

I'll post the detail review once I get done with the in-depth testing.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know of the "FocusVape Pro" with accurate temperature control.
If anyone is interested in how it looks, I found a pic on the focusvape website:
LoGsto5.png

His_Highness

Thanks @McQuack!

If anyone runs into a pic of the Premium Package, (Focusvape Pro and Bubbler packaged together), please post a pic or the link. The packaging itself was really well done and worth a peak. I normally don't get so excited about packaging. Makes this an ideal gift.

I promise to post pics when I do the detail review but until then .... I couldn't find one of the Premium Package.

His_Highness,
Reactions: McQuack

McQuack

@His_Highness: If it's not too much afford, could you maybe just post a detail pic of the display before posting your review? That would be awesome. Do you have the stiched version? I hope it's still available because the official pic only shows the leather version (which I don't really like). And one last question: Do you need to press both buttons at the same time to turn the unit on?

McQuack,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
So I guess I've come down with a severe case of stupid. I can't find the Focus Pro for sale anywhere. I did see the picture on the FocusVape site as part of their home page slideshow, but it's not clickable and I can't find it anywhere else on their site. I've googled for all I'm worth but I can't find it anywhere other than as a mention on their facebook. But how would I buy one? Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction?

McQuack

So I guess I've come down with a severe case of stupid. I can't find the Focus Pro for sale anywhere. I did see the picture on the FocusVape site as part of their home page slideshow, but it's not clickable and I can't find it anywhere else on their site. I've googled for all I'm worth but I can't find it anywhere other than as a mention on their facebook. But how would I buy one? Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction?
I guess it's just not available for sale yet and @His_Highness got a review unit...

moondog

Do'oh, of course. Like I said, I've got a severe case of stupid. Thanks for the help.

moondog,

His_Highness

@His_Highness: If it's not too much afford, could you maybe just post a detail pic of the display before posting your review? That would be awesome. Do you have the stiched version? I hope it's still available because the official pic only shows the leather version (which I don't really like). And one last question: Do you need to press both buttons at the same time to turn the unit on?

I have the leather version and to turn on the unit you press any button 3 times and to turn it off you hold both digital buttons at the same time. I really like the digital upgrade. The buttons are much more tactile and the functionality is easier to understand and maneuver. Sorry - at this point I don't know if they will carry both the stitched and leather version.

I can't find the Focus Pro for sale anywhere. I did see the picture on the FocusVape site as part of their home page slideshow, but it's not clickable and I can't find it anywhere else on their site. I've googled for all I'm worth but I can't find it anywhere other than as a mention on their facebook. But how would I buy one? Can some kind soul please point me in the right direction?

I couldn't find the digital for sale either. I think I'm in possession of a demo/test version and I'm not sure when the digital version in the premium package will be available to the general public. I'll look in to it as part of the detail review.

In the meantime ... here's some pics...sorry for the quality....
aXe6eyC.jpg

4p0pscz.jpg

eCRxqDB.jpg

moondog

I have the leather version and to turn on the unit you press any button 3 times and to turn it off you hold both digital buttons at the same time. I really like the digital upgrade. The buttons are much more tactile and the functionality is easier to understand and maneuver. Sorry - at this point I don't know if they will carry both the stitched and leather version.

I couldn't find the digital for sale either. I think I'm in possession of a demo/test version and I'm not sure when the digital version in the premium package will be available to the general public. I'll look in to it as part of the detail review.

In the meantime ... here's some pics...sorry for the quality....
aXe6eyC.jpg

4p0pscz.jpg

eCRxqDB.jpg
Wow, those look great. Thanks for the pics. I will be anxiously awaiting your review and perhaps anxiously awaiting the release of these into the wild.

His_Highness

I forgot to mention:
- The bubbler works with the analog and digital version of the Focus. Might have been obvious but thought I should mention it.
- The bubbler is available from PuffItUp for $14.90. PIU has the wax pod and other Focus accessories. You can use coupon 'bignews' for 15% off the order.
http://www.puffitup.com/Focus-Bubbler-p/fcv.115-bubb.htm

BTW - There is a used analog Focus in the classifieds. Current price $35 and you pay shipping:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/focus-vape.21928/

His_Highness,

VapingCO

Just received my focus vape a couple days ago to hold me over till my grasshopper arrives. I'm liking it so far as my out and about vape fast heat up nice clouds. I'm just wondering if I can use my 18650 AW 3.7v 2000mAh that I use with my Pesei vaporizer? Don't want to risk it but if somone knows for sure that would help allot. Thanks Ben

VapingCO,

His_Highness

Just received my focus vape a couple days ago to hold me over till my grasshopper arrives. I'm liking it so far as my out and about vape fast heat up nice clouds. I'm just wondering if I can use my 18650 AW 3.7v 2000mAh that I use with my Pesei vaporizer? Don't want to risk it but if somone knows for sure that would help allot. Thanks Ben

The battery you're referring to has a tip so I'm not sure it will even fit. Even if it does...compared to the batteries supplied with the Focus...LG/Samsung 2500mAH or 3200mAH it will not work nearly as well. The AW discharge rate is 10A while the others sent with the unit are 20A. Don't use it.

EDIT: 18650's are all supposed to be about the same form factor. But even if it did fit I wouldn't use it. You have a vape that is built for speed and distance - you'll be happier if you use high-test in the engine :rockon:

Last edited:

VapingCO

The battery you're referring to has a tip so I'm not sure it will even fit. Even if it does...compared to the batteries supplied with the Focus...LG/Samsung 2500mAH or 3200mAH it will not work nearly as well. The AW discharge rate is 10A while the others sent with the unit are 20A. Don't use it.

EDIT: 18650's are all supposed to be about the same form factor. But even if it did fit I wouldn't use it. You have a vape that is built for speed and distance - you'll be happier if you use high-test in the engine :rockon:
Nice thanks for the quick response I will just have to order the correct battery's from Focus vapes. Thanks also for the coupon at PIU order the focus bubbler and a Jyarz storage!

moondog

Hey His Highness! Hows' that new digital Focus treating you?

His_Highness

@moondog - It's treating me great! Thanks for asking and reminding me that I owe a more detailed review. I have a few questions I'd like to get answered beforehand though. Another teaser for ya in the meantime....

One of the things I love about the bubbler and the Focus combo is how it forces good technique and herbal efficiency. I have a hard time getting folks (including myself) to stop drawing toward the end of a cloudy hit when the lungs are just about full. It's usually due to a vape that doesn't start producing clouds till a few seconds into the draw so folks draw longer. IMO...It's kinda wasteful to continue the cloud chase when you're a second or so away from not being able to inhale further. I prefer to push the cloud into the deepest part of my lungs early in the hit and toward the end drive it further with just air so I can hold it comfortably longer. The bubbler and the Focus enforce this technique. I've tested this with both the analog and digital Focus and they both work great in this area. The digital may be a tiny bit better at it due to the higher heat.

What I've noticed about using the bubbler is that the clouds come INSTANTLY at the very start of the draw so the cloud is pushed deep into the lungs and then levels off at the 1/4 end of the draw so you eliminate wastefully filling the top of the lungs, airway and mouth. The conduction heat conditions the herb at the very start and the bubbler allows you to draw the high heat hard enough to cool it down a bit toward the end without it being too harsh.

moondog

@moondog - It's treating me great! Thanks for asking and reminding me that I owe a more detailed review. I have a few questions I'd like to get answered beforehand though. Another teaser for ya in the meantime....

One of the things I love about the bubbler and the Focus combo is how it forces good technique and herbal efficiency. I have a hard time getting folks (including myself) to stop drawing toward the end of a cloudy hit when the lungs are just about full. It's usually due to a vape that doesn't start producing clouds till a few seconds into the draw so folks draw longer. IMO...It's kinda wasteful to continue the cloud chase when you're a second or so away from not being able to inhale further. I prefer to push the cloud into the deepest part of my lungs early in the hit and toward the end drive it further with just air so I can hold it comfortably longer. The bubbler and the Focus enforce this technique. I've tested this with both the analog and digital Focus and they both work great in this area. The digital may be a tiny bit better at it due to the higher heat.

What I've noticed about using the bubbler is that the clouds come INSTANTLY at the very start of the draw so the cloud is pushed deep into the lungs and then levels off at the 1/4 end of the draw so you eliminate wastefully filling the top of the lungs, airway and mouth. The conduction heat conditions the herb at the very start and the bubbler allows you to draw the high heat hard enough to cool it down a bit toward the end without it being too harsh.
Cool beans! Thanks! Can't wait for the more detailed rundown.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
The Focus handles solid concentrates (kief, bubble, traditionnal hash) amazingly!

I used hash+flowers or abv or cotton, all methods extract everything even using only the 200°C setting, big thick clouds after big thick clouds!

This vape is definitly a cloud machine and a must-have for every vape-bongers, white wall your water tool even at 180°C.

I want to notice a few vapes are able to extract everything from solid hash (Inhalaters can do that too but it is more expensive!)

edit: and i forgot to mention how fast it heats.

moondog

The Focus handles solid concentrates (kief, bubble, traditionnal hash) amazingly!

I used hash+flowers or abv or cotton, all methods extract everything even using only the 200°C setting, big thick clouds after big thick clouds!

This vape is definitly a cloud machine and a must-have for every vape-bongers, white wall your water tool even at 180°C.

I want to notice a few vapes are able to extract everything from solid hash (Inhalaters can do that too but it is more expensive!)

edit: and i forgot to mention how fast it heats.

The more I read, the better this sounds. The only thing that's got me hesitating about this vape (or at least the new digital Pro version) is the size. I'm afraid it's a little too big for out and about.

If someone with a Focus and a Pinnacle Pro was willing and able to post a pic of the two side-by-side, that would be most appreciated.

His_Highness

The more I read, the better this sounds. The only thing that's got me hesitating about this vape (or at least the new digital Pro version) is the size. I'm afraid it's a little too big for out and about.

If someone with a Focus and a Pinnacle Pro was willing and able to post a pic of the two side-by-side, that would be most appreciated.

Sorry - No Pinnacle Pro......

As far as size and going out and about.....lets divide the discussion between stealth and plain ol' carrying it around.....

Stealth wise it would be about your attitude. The 'confident walk' .... I've run into folks with similar looking units and always wondered if they were doing MJ or not. The ones that I met eyes with that looked away and looked nervous kinda answered the question. The ones that just went on naturally left me wondering. I was walking through a Walmart parking lot and a employee was coming toward me with a Focus or something that looked just like it. Walked by me using it and put it away as he walked in to the store. I couldn't tell what he was vaping. Stealth can't hide the red eyes though. I've used my MFLB out and about by palming it and while I could hide the MFLB in my hand .... it was less stealthy when I brought it up to my face palmed like that versus going about my business with the Focus. Stealth wise I don't think there's anything better than a typical e-cig with an e-liquid base containing concentrates though. Nicotine replacement stealth.

Carrying around.....spent the weekend at the beach and the battery life was phenomenal! It was either in my wife's pocketbook or in my face. Between the battery life and speed to temp it was a joy.

moondog

Sorry - No Pinnacle Pro......

As far as size and going out and about.....lets divide the discussion between stealth and plain ol' carrying it around.....

Stealth wise it would be about your attitude. The 'confident walk' .... I've run into folks with similar looking units and always wondered if they were doing MJ or not. The ones that I met eyes with that looked away and looked nervous kinda answered the question. The ones that just went on naturally left me wondering. I was walking through a Walmart parking lot and a employee was coming toward me with a Focus or something that looked just like it. Walked by me using it and put it away as he walked in to the store. I couldn't tell what he was vaping. Stealth can't hide the red eyes though. I've used my MFLB out and about by palming it and while I could hide the MFLB in my hand .... it was less stealthy when I brought it up to my face palmed like that versus going about my business with the Focus. Stealth wise I don't think there's anything better than a typical e-cig with an e-liquid base containing concentrates though. Nicotine replacement stealth.

Carrying around.....spent the weekend at the beach and the battery life was phenomenal! It was either in my wife's pocketbook or in my face. Between the battery life and speed to temp it was a joy.

Thanks for the reply. As you say, stealth is a matter of attitude and being smart about your surroundings. My question was more on the "carrying around" side of things. The Pinnacle Pro fits nicely in a RYOT zippered case that clips to a belt loop. Not all THAT discreet if you know what you're looking for, but easy to carry and I've never been hassled. If the Focus is too big for something like that or needs a purse to be carried in, that's not quite as easy. I often have my day bag with me, but it's not always convenient to take that with me. I'd love to know the dimensions (length and diameter) of the Focus so I could see if it fits in that RYOT case, but I haven't seen those numbers anywhere.

Despite these concerns, I can feel the VAS growing for the new digital version.

Top Bottom