FlowerMate Vapormax V/V5.0/V5.0S/V5 Pro

foobar

Here's a quick review of the Aura, after 2 months or so of use. It might be a bit late, but i think this device is worth the wait.
I don't have experience with expensive vapes, i can only compare with the original Flowermate, Titan 2 and a Pax clone which was a complete waste (i learned my lesson: do not buy vape clones!).
I got mine from Fasttech with a discount (35 USD), few months back. This kind of site might have a bad reputation, but i've been quite happy with them and i'm quite sure it's an original one.
I only use herbs, typically once a day.

The good things:
- I find the vape quality is very enjoyable (of course, after the initial dry runs and cleaning): good taste, not too hot, not too harsh, decent clouds.
- the air flow is comfortable, more open than my other devices. One can take a mouth to lung hit, or a restricted direct to lung, as in e-cig terminology
- good taste, and it bakes the herbs pretty evenly. I don't use the pods included, but drop a supplied screen at the bottom of the oven
- great build quality for the price
- it's small and very light, feels good in hand with the rubber finish and ergonomical shapes
- convenient to use, charge, and clean
- the temperature control works, so one can really experience the tastes and effects at different levels
- the value for money is superb
- relatively fast heating (1 minute or so)
- decent battery life

The issues have been discussed here already:
- the mouth piece gets a bit hot, and the plastic isn't as comfortable and sturdy as other materials
- the heater doesn't seem to be powerful enough temperature to maintain a constant temperature during a hit
- the display is confusing (no heating indicator, no indicator if the temperature is the actual or the target one)
- the cutoff time is too short, less than 5 minutes, so i have to wake it up usually twice in a session
- battery indicator not linear
- it's not a click and play device: one needs to play with the +/- buttons to read the actual temperature, and make sure it's on the spot: it needs a bit of time to get used to it

The mouth piece hasn't cracked yet, i don't know if i got the new one (there were reports that FM issued latest batches with an improved one). To Aura owners: how to tell?

So, it's by far the best vape i have. The few issues don't bother me too much after the learning curve, but it's not easy enough to share with friends without few explanations.

Actually, that device made me quit combusting for good! Well, to be honnest, i still do very occasionally, but i enjoy it less and less.
I'm still dreaming of a Firefly, but it clearly doesn't play in the same league at all. All in all, i'm thinking of buying another one :)
For those interested, Gearbest also just stocked it, for 40 USD free shipping with a coupon code (aura).

Peace :)

sdchargersfan

I received a flowermate mini yesterday and will be testing it out soon. I've got a few questions I hope y'all will be able to help me with.
I'll be using my mini in an off campus dorm in college and would like to keep the smell down. I purchased a smoke buddy and will be grinding elsewhere due to the smell. I plan on just vaporizing in the bathroom with a smoke buddy, towel under the door, and then using glade air freshener to cover the smell. It's a suite style dorm with a bathroom. No windows. Do y'all have any tips for my use of the mini to keep the smell down? Also has anybody experimented with putting a little bit of ecig juice on the weed to cover the smell a bit?

I ordered from puffitup; I agree with everything that has been said so far about the company. Great customer service, discrete packaging and extremely quick shipping.

sdchargersfan,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
my 5.0X Mini has been shipped. Randy says all Minis do have the same battery. 2600mah.

Nope, at least for the initial revision the Mini Pro had a lower capacity Li-Po cell instead of a 2600mAh 18650 Li-Ion. Maybe they managed to source a higher capacity one having the same dimensions for the second revision? But it seems unlikely, Li-Ions are champions for energy density and Li-Po are champions for discharge rates: Li-Po packs tend to be way larger than Li-Ion for a given capacity but they have higher C rating.

I'm eager to read your review of the 5.0X Mini anyways!

Here's a quick review of the Aura

Thank you for sharing your impressions. Did you search for the dedicated Aura thread? I don't recall if we created one for the Aura or just for the Aura Hybrid. If you can locate one for the Aura, please consider cross-posting your review over there.

goes somehow know the original and Chinese copies?

The OEM is Shenzen Smiss, they own the FlowerMate brand as well as the FlowerMate USA sister company. There have been rumors of fake units floating around but so far we never saw any for real.

KeroZen,
Reactions: OF

OF

Nope, at least for the initial revision the Mini Pro had a lower capacity Li-Po cell instead of a 2600mAh 18650 Li-Ion. Maybe they managed to source a higher capacity one having the same dimensions for the second revision? But it seems unlikely, Li-Ions are champions for energy density and Li-Po are champions for discharge rates: Li-Po packs tend to be way larger than Li-Ion for a given capacity but they have higher C rating.

Yep, that's what I found when I tested each. My notes say 2686 mAh for the Mini, 1919 mAh for the Mini Pro. Back when I went to school 2686 was a lot more than 1919. I posted those numbers 'back when' and we (collectively) discussed this. I too doubt it's changed. The Mini uses the available space fully, in the Mini Pro case much of that 'battery space' is taken up by the display and PCB to support it. This means not only lower capacity but, as KZ points out, a HUGE power delivery issue. Li-ion cells need steel jackets to contain the pressure, this means they have to be round (unlike Li-PO, which have thin plastic cases and are much lighter therefore. You find them in cell phones, RC Helos and so on for that reason. They are typically rectangular and 'pack well' inside cases (like cell phones), tablets, MP3 Players and so on.

I suspect that the remaining space would not have allowed even a 15650, forcing them to something even smaller in order to fit a round thing in the 'half round' hole partially filled with display and PCB which have not been up to the four Amps or so needed to heat? They didn't do it to save money or we'd find them in the other FM models?

I could find no official specifications on the web? Can anyone? But IMO there's just no way the two models share the same battery, there's not enough room to do so and testing confirms it.

Personally I didn't find the lame battery 'meter' and variable temperature (I tend to use only 390F it seems) a worthwhile trade for the extra session or two the plain vanilla Mini offers. The original Mini get's the job assignments here, the Mini Pro got loaned out once, and now does standby/backup duty. Reminds me it's time to dig it out make sure it still works, enjoy the load in it........

OF

Edit: Quickly searching for '1919 mAh' in posts on this thread by me finds twice we discussed this back in April, I don't anything really changed:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flowermate-vapormax-v-v5-0-v5-0s-v5-pro.13786/page-137#post-949799
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flowermate-vapormax-v-v5-0-v5-0s-v5-pro.13786/page-138#post-952629

OF

Last edited:
OF,

hillbill

What other products are made by Smiss under in-house or captive brands? I would not doubt that some who look down on Flowermate are holding a Smiss product in their tiny little hands.

Will surely report on the 5.0X Mini. The wider temp thing gets my interest. If it does as well as the original Mini I will grin.

hillbill,
Reactions: AtomicPB

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Smiss in an OEM, they produce for themselves and for 3rd parties. They use the Smiss name more for their e-cig products and settled on FlowerMate for their... aromatherapy devices. :p

They have produced several devices for Atmos in the past (in fact Atmos had exclusivity for these products on the US market for a while), and there was also some European company IIRC that sold a custom version of the FM5-S with several improvements (those ended inside the mainline products after the exclusivity deal ran out, most notably I'm thinking about the more "isolated" vapor path in newer models where air enters from the storage compartment)

They have produced numerous products, in fact it's quite incredible how fast they are able to put new ones out! Would be too long to list them all.

hillbill

The Flowermates do what I want for half the price of alternatives and I've been very happy with my 5.0s and Mini.

Took forever for me to begin using a top screen. Fool. Keep herb from swirling and permit me to use a half oven which is very gentle hitting and the session ends when the auto goes to standby, no need to reheat. I like the smoothness. Good herb in a full oven is hard on me!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I don't think I ever filled the chamber completely. If I could give you a single advice it would be: tamp your load using the provided tool. Make a flat puck. Herb will stay in place (no flying debris anymore) and it will increase vapor production a lot.

foobar

Thank you for sharing your impressions. Did you search for the dedicated Aura thread? I don't recall if we created one for the Aura or just for the Aura Hybrid. If you can locate one for the Aura, please consider cross-posting your review over there.
This forum has a great spirit and is very helpful, it's a pleasure to give a bit in return. Big thanks to all active members here!
The other thread is "Aura Hybrid". The "Flowermate" is now a large family, too large for a single thread, i guess.

Esmeralda

My Flowermate got delayed in the mail, I guess due to the flooding in the south? Anyway, it's in my town, but I had my mail held until Tuesday because we are having a weekend away. I was REALLY wanting to have it with me, but -- oh well, I guess.

Esmeralda,

Esmeralda

Yes, nice to come home to. I can handle it with what I have with me, but trying to be careful of the smell.

Esmeralda,

OF

Yes, nice to come home to. I can handle it with what I have with me, but trying to be careful of the smell.

While it's getting close to a taboo subject, remember most of the smell is terpenes that 'come off early' and have no serious medicinal effects for most folks. At least not usually critical.

As we explored with MFLB years ago, you can take a fresh load, heat it to magic temperature and take that first hit or two. Then shutdown and reload. The partially used herb still is plenty potent, but has very little smell remaining....... Use it wisely.

OF

OF,

hillbill

Yep, that's what I found when I tested each. My notes say 2686 mAh for the Mini, 1919 mAh for the Mini Pro. Back when I went to school 2686 was a lot more than 1919. I posted those numbers 'back when' and we (collectively) discussed this. I too doubt it's changed. The Mini uses the available space fully, in the Mini Pro case much of that 'battery space' is taken up by the display and PCB to support it. This means not only lower capacity but, as KZ points out, a HUGE power delivery issue. Li-ion cells need steel jackets to contain the pressure, this means they have to be round (unlike Li-PO, which have thin plastic cases and are much lighter therefore. You find them in cell phones, RC Helos and so on for that reason. They are typically rectangular and 'pack well' inside cases (like cell phones), tablets, MP3 Players and so on.

I suspect that the remaining space would not have allowed even a 15650, forcing them to something even smaller in order to fit a round thing in the 'half round' hole partially filled with display and PCB which have not been up to the four Amps or so needed to heat? They didn't do it to save money or we'd find them in the other FM models?

I could find no official specifications on the web? Can anyone? But IMO there's just no way the two models share the same battery, there's not enough room to do so and testing confirms it.

Personally I didn't find the lame battery 'meter' and variable temperature (I tend to use only 390F it seems) a worthwhile trade for the extra session or two the plain vanilla Mini offers. The original Mini get's the job assignments here, the Mini Pro got loaned out once, and now does standby/backup duty. Reminds me it's time to dig it out make sure it still works, enjoy the load in it........

OF

Edit: Quickly searching for '1919 mAh' in posts on this thread by me finds twice we discussed this back in April, I don't anything really changed:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flowermate-vapormax-v-v5-0-v5-0s-v5-pro.13786/page-137#post-949799
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/flowermate-vapormax-v-v5-0-v5-0s-v5-pro.13786/page-138#post-952629

OF
V5.0X mini User Manual. Capacity 1800 mah.

Esmeralda

I still haven't received my Flowermate and the shipping, which originally said Friday, now says Pending with no further info. One email says it was shipped USPS and another says FedEx and it's a FedEx shipping number. I emailed the company saying what's up and will call FedEx and the Post Office tomorrow. It sort of looks like there might have been a delivery attempt? but no card left or anything.
Getting sort of ticked off at this point.

Esmeralda,

OF

V5.0X mini User Manual. Capacity 1800 mah.
Thanks. That makes sense since I no doubt measured it when the battery was brand new, and it was a 'locked out to end of charge' run. No way the Mini and Mini Pro can have the same battery.

Each is a useful tool, but the display and extra stuff is a compromise......like everything in life?

Thanks again for the confirmation. One of these fine days KZ will eventually goof one up if he keeps at it, good to keep an eye on his so he doesn't blow one past us.......

OF

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@jackhammer : could you please create a dedicated thread for this vape in the upcoming portables section, and re-post your link here? That would be nice.

KeroZen,

OF

@jackhammer : could you please create a dedicated thread for this vape in the upcoming portables section, and re-post your link here? That would be nice.

Good point, it's mighty crowded here, and confusing sometimes. Better exposure in it's own thread as well.

OF

OF,

Esmeralda

So apparently my Flowermate was on a FedEx truck that caught on fire and no one bothered to notify anyone? I am beyond livid as I wanted that vaporizer for my weekend away last week and now I have no idea if or when I will ever receive it?
I have contacted the company I ordered it from and filed a claim with FedEx, but I cannot believe they just marked it Pending and left it at that!? They don't notify anyone or make any effort to let people know what happened? And now they tell me all I can do is contact the company I ordered from?

Esmeralda,

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Esmeralda : while I can feel your pain, there's nothing we can do to help you unfortunately. It will be a matter of which insurance will cover what and when, with the seller and transporter trying to roll the ball to the other party... could take some time to resolve.

But if the shop is nice they could maybe send you a replacement upfront, if you ask nicely?

OF

But if the shop is nice they could maybe send you a replacement upfront, if you ask nicely?

Actually I think the burden is on the seller here. He has failed to deliver the product to you as agreed? Through no fault of his, of course, but the responsibility I think rests with him. As the addressee you can't even file a claim?

He is welcome to file a claim with the carrier of course, but that might be limited if he didn't buy (enough) insurance? He has the contract with them, not you. You have no 'standing'. He paid them, not you.

The easy way out if you paid by CC is of course to cancel the deal for non delivery.

I don't think it's fair to blame the carrier. He has no obligation to notify the addressees and in fact might not even have that information? They don't even always know what package is on which truck? The count on shippers to self identify.

If it was mine, I'd contact the seller and ask for a replacement explaining why. Perhaps offering to return the burned/lost one if it ever shows up. Then, if they balk, explain that you don't want to wait any more and will have to stop the CC payment and order the replacement from their competitor instead?

Hopefully you have a backup vape to carry you through this rough patch?

Best wishes,

OF

OF,

hillbill

Everything on that truck is known along with sender and potential recipient info. Seller responsibility ended with shipment with reasonable care. The carrier may contact the seller to clean this up. Presently just because something is shipped FedX does not mean USPS won't be the final deliverer.

Contact your vender who may already know what's up. The carrier may well authorize replacement in advance.

I'm sure you will come out fine on this. Most corporations settle these type of emergencies quickly with little nitpicking.

OF

Everything on that truck is known along with sender and potential recipient info. Seller responsibility ended with shipment with reasonable care. The carrier may contact the seller to clean this up. Presently just because something is shipped FedX does not mean USPS won't be the final deliverer.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it's not that way. It wasn't in the days when I worked in mailing for sure. Nor would contract law support a claim from the addressee as I understand such things.

If you need to trace a package, who has to start that? Sender or addressee? When it happened to me (lost package) a year or back the fellow who sent it had to wait 2 weeks and then file the trace. I was told I could not.........

The shipper's total liability is limited, it doesn't cover replacement unless you buy extra insurance. Like luggage and the airlines. And he has no legal obligation to the guy who's name appears on the package. His liability is spelled out in the contract with the seller.

It is true that the package (and therefore responsibility) might get shifted around, passed on. But at every step a new contract is created. In the case above, FedX has to file with USPS for failure to deliver the package for them (FedX), not the addressee or seller.

The same sort of thing happens when you have a car accident and it's clearly the other fellow's fault. Doesn't matter, your insurance company has to fix your car to your satisfaction (where the contract is). They, in turn can charge/bill/sue the other driver or his insurance but absent your agreement otherwise (like to take the check for repair directly from the other party or his insurance) the law says your insurance company pays. In the case where you don't have collision insurance they don't of course, it's your responsibility to sue 'them' (the other driver/his insurance company) to recover if necessary. I've just watched this unfold for a friend. Her insurance 'instantly' wrote a check to the agreed to shop for the serious bucks less the deductible. She is on the hook to get the $500 from the other insurance co (which they have done) since her contract with her insurance doesn't cover the first $500. Her insurance company will 'back bill' the other company for the big bucks they are out.

The easy way to resolve this is for the OP to try to file a claim? I believe he has to get the seller to do that. Like I said, when I tried to file a trace on a lost package from FL I was told I couldn't by the PO. I have no standing?

Hopefully it can be quickly sorted out and the OP gets a replacement. Imagine the fun when it's a unique item (say antique or artwork), where replacement isn't possible. That's why the contract between sender and carrier spells it out the way the lawyers have it set up. FedX can't be held liable for losing an antique by someone they've never met? What would the rules be there?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom