FlowerMate Vapormax V/V5.0/V5.0S/V5 Pro

yogoshio

Annoying Libertarian
Eds tnt makes the adapter, as well as a wooden stem replacement. The water adapter does't fit in the bottom slot, but the normal replacement stem does. I love mine. Dropped it several times and holds up very well.

foobar

Hi there,

I got finally my Aura recently (from FT), after a loooong wait. Coming from the first generation FM and a Titan 2, i appreciate the increased airflow, nice taste and all, a bit hot, overall i'm impressed with the vape quality so far. I didn't use it long enough to comment on the mouth piece breaking issue.

But: i just cannot get the temperature control to work correctly. Once the device has reached the target temp, the "baked" icon appears and the temp displayed on the screen won't change. But, actually, the temperature drops.

For example, let's set it at 200°C: wait for the icon to appear, the first puff is great. But the next one is nothing like that.
Let's just change the target temp to 205°C, the device heats up again, but starting from way below the initial 200°C setting (180, 160...). If i wait a bit longer, it seems that it will cool down to room temperature... whereas the displayed temperature is still stuck at 200°C. It all happens in less than 5 minutes, so i don't think the auto shutoff comes in the picture.
So, i currently can use this device only by playing with the up/down buttons and checking the screen constantly, PITA.

Has anyone experienced the same, is my unit faulty, firmware or something? Well, i don't have the user manual, which got lost in space, so maybe i'm missing something obvious... help! :)

foobar,
Reactions: OF

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Doesn't sound normal. If "FT" means Fasttech, I hope the product had the word "authentic" in the title, otherwise it's likely to be a clone... By the way the Aura has a dedicated thread somewhere else here.

KeroZen,

OF

Has anyone experienced the same, is my unit faulty, firmware or something? Well, i don't have the user manual, which got lost in space, so maybe i'm missing something obvious... help! :)

Yes, we all have (although some don't notice), there's nothing faulty with your unit. The manual should be on line, but doesn't cover this IIRC.

This technique (sometimes called 'masking') is really pretty common, if it showed a drop just imagine how much angst that would create with some guys? Some things are best left unknown.

And while we're on the subject, exactly what temperature were you expecting and measured at what point? There's going to be a gradient from the heater element (hottest spot) through the walls, through the load to the target location within that load. And the cooler air being pulled in with the hit will make that worse. You really don't know what the dynamic temperatures are, no matter where the sensor is located.

I suggest you enjoy it, rather than stress out over it. Your call, of course, but nothing wrong with your unit from what you've said.

So you're suggesting that I buy that adapter and use it with something like this?: http://dankstop.com/accessories/gla...adapters/male-to-male-glass-on-glass-adapter/

Which is what I believe Killa $moke Ninja was suggesting?

Naw, the correct adapter for your FM should mate up directly with a WT fitting of either gender or any of the 3 common sizes (10, 14 and 18mm). How exactly it deals with a 14mm Male that identifies as a 18mm Female I'll leave you to sort out.

No M/M adapters needed. Save your money.

OF

OF,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@OF : I'm unsure it's just that normal drop he's talking about, the bit about "cooling down to room temperature" doesn't sound good at all. Unless I read it wrong of course. From what I understand his devices drops temperature even when not hitting it?

KeroZen,

OF

@OF : I'm unsure it's just that normal drop he's talking about, the bit about "cooling down to room temperature" doesn't sound good at all. Unless I read it wrong of course. From what I understand his devices drops temperature even when not hitting it?

Hard to say from here. I think there are at least two issues. First being the 'it doesn't show a drop when I hit' (but seems to otherwise make vapor......that is not drop to room temperature???). The 'bump it a few degrees and it shows a lower temperature' part is in line with this as such a change will remove the masking window.

I think the 'it cools off to room temperature still showing 200C' is probably inadvertently putting it into standby (stopping heating without changing the session), that is it should never have made vapor if it's that goofed up? Unfortunately, when I dug mine out to confirm this it was (of course) stone dead. It's now charging.......I bet some fool left it in standby? Only way I know why it would be dead flat and refuse to even try to wake up.

OF

OF,
Reactions: KeroZen

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
Now that you say it, yes it could well be just a session time-out. :)

@DoctorMambo: after something like 5 minutes the vape will enter standby mode. To restart a new heating cycle/session you need to hold the power button for 4 seconds or the like.

For the drop after a hit: this is a conduction vape with rather limited power and a ceramic bowl. You need to let the temperature recover between hits and you can't just draw continuously. Take a sip, wait 5 to 10 seconds or more, retake a sip, etc...

You also need to tamp/compact your load to maximize the contact surface area with the ceramic bowl walls. You can use the provided metal scoop tool that has a flat end which is perfect to tamp your material. Also check regularly during your session that the "puck" stays in place (if you shake the device or draw too hard it will rise) If not, just push it back down using the tool and remember to draw more slowly next time.

KeroZen,

Killa $moke Ninja

Yes, we all have (although some don't notice), there's nothing faulty with your unit. The manual should be on line, but doesn't cover this IIRC.

This technique (sometimes called 'masking') is really pretty common, if it showed a drop just imagine how much angst that would create with some guys? Some things are best left unknown.

And while we're on the subject, exactly what temperature were you expecting and measured at what point? There's going to be a gradient from the heater element (hottest spot) through the walls, through the load to the target location within that load. And the cooler air being pulled in with the hit will make that worse. You really don't know what the dynamic temperatures are, no matter where the sensor is located.

I suggest you enjoy it, rather than stress out over it. Your call, of course, but nothing wrong with your unit f
I use a 10mm male to female adapter to connect to my bong but if u just want a regular mouthpiece u can use a male to male 10 mm it fits ok but just not as tight as the original glass piece for now
this is what I'm working with until my universal adapter comes in. A lil awkward , but it works

Last edited:

OF

Now that you say it, yes it could well be just a session time-out. :)

Yep, easy enough to do. The timer doesn't reset when you change temperature (you have to shut it off then back on for a reset), easy to forget even when you're used to the machine.

Since it seems to heat to preset temperature and make vapor on schedule the processor, battery, heater and sensor are all working fine.....or so it seems?

It all starts, I think, with expecting the display to show a drop when being hit....which it's designed not to do.

Your advice about packing, heat management and so on is excellent (as usual), hopefully some experimentation in the area will fix other issues. I think Aura has a lot in common with Titan II but, like most vapes, it also has it's differences?

I think the OP is on the right track, just needs to play some more......and follow the results he likes.

this is what I'm working with until my universal adapter comes in. A lil awkward , but it works

Hey, I'm a big fan of 'function over form'...... Give me results and I can overlook a lot of other stuff.

Looking at the photo, it looks like the piece and downstem both have 14mm Female GonG connectors? No problem, use the downstem (remove the rest). The adapter from PIU will plug directly into that (set up as a 14mm Male) with the FM 'standing on it's head' more or less. I have a very similar Ehle WT and it works fine that way.

The adapter screws into the FM and 'plugs into' the 14mm Female on the downstem (second connection 'up').

Regards to all,

OF

Killa $moke Ninja

Yep, easy enough to do. The timer doesn't reset when you change temperature (you have to shut it off then back on for a reset), easy to forget even when you're used to the machine.

Since it seems to heat to preset temperature and make vapor on schedule the processor, battery, heater and sensor are all working fine.....or so it seems?

It all starts, I think, with expecting the display to show a drop when being hit....which it's designed not to do.

Your advice about packing, heat management and so on is excellent (as usual), hopefully some experimentation in the area will fix other issues. I think Aura has a lot in common with Titan II but, like most vapes, it also has it's differences?

I think the OP is on the right track, just needs to play some more......and follow the results he likes.

Hey, I'm a big fan of 'function over form'...... Give me results and I can overlook a lot of other stuff.

Looking at the photo, it looks like the piece and downstem both have 14mm Female GonG connectors? No problem, use the downstem (remove the rest). The adapter from PIU will plug directly into that (set up as a 14mm Male) with the FM 'standing on it's head' more or less. I have a very similar Ehle WT and it works fine that way.

The adapter screws into the FM and 'plugs into' the 14mm Female on the downstem (second connection 'up').

Regards to all,

OF
Actually, the GONG piece and the downstem on this one is a 19 mm. I ordered the real adaptor from wizardpuff.com. but it hasn't got here yet. I was thinking of getting a v shaped adapter to add to it so the fm can be right side up as well because it's kinda easy for the load to get sucked down to the mouthpiece when it's upside down. I found this on dhgate. I'll probably end up ordering the hydrotube as well for when I want to have a more portable bubbler.
PyZg2L5.jpg

Killa $moke Ninja,

foobar

Hi all,

FT -> FastTech. I don't have the serial number to verify, but i'm confident that's a legit one.

Thanks to OF and KeroZen, you guys are of great help :)

After a bit more experimentation, i think my device is OK, it just needs a bit more practice to master. The heater is surely under powered for the air flow, and the user interface doesn't help understanding what it's doing.
It's a bit crazy that Smiss's teams can design and manufacture such a fine device, and miss obvious details like heating/standbye indicator, target/measured temp indicator. Their engineers might need a bit of practice really using the products, or get beta testers from the community.

I also fear there was an user error somewhere: the time out must have kicked in when the device dropped temp completely. Sorry for the confusing report!

foobar,

Killa $moke Ninja

No problem, use the largest step on the adapter then?

Good luck with it. How you connect it up is not nearly as important as getting it done somehow.......

OF
Ya I figured out how to make it work with the limited choice of parts from the local headshop. It looks kinda weird but it does the job. Does anyone have any experience with the hydrotube and the fm?I'd like to get some user feedback before I buy it.

Killa $moke Ninja,

OF

Does anyone have any experience with the hydrotube and the fm?I'd like to get some user feedback before I buy it.

Yeah, but IMO way too much WT for the job. I've had better luck with the bubblers commonly used for 'vape pens'. Here's two examples the first on another vape, but coupled to the WT with a short piece of tube as a gasket same as with the FM. The second (probably my favorite?) is using a fitting someone posted about on this thread a couple months back. It screws into the FM and the WT fits on it (I don't recall, I may have changed the o-ring for a better fit).

But I found a full on hydrotube to be 'too much gun'.

OF

OF,

Killa $moke Ninja

Yeah, but IMO way too much WT for the job. I've had better luck with the bubblers commonly used for 'vape pens'. Here's two examples the first on another vape, but coupled to the WT with a short piece of tube as a gasket same as with the FM. The second (probably my favorite?) is using a fitting someone posted about on this thread a couple months back. It screws into the FM and the WT fits on it (I don't recall, I may have changed the o-ring for a better fit).

But I found a full on hydrotube to be 'too much gun'.

OF
I think I know what you mean by the bubblers use for "vape "pens. They have lil bubbler wax coil set ups at my local headshop but they come with the wax coil already attached to the lil mini bubbler for 60$. I wish they would just sell me the bubbler piece seperate for cheaper.I agree about the hydrotube being too much wt for the fm because the set up I use now with my bong is way too much. I realize that I want a wt that uses the smallest wt with the smallest amount of water because IMO too much water takes away from the flavor of the vapor and a smaller wt would have better draw resistance as well. I takes a lil too much lung power to really fill up my bong like I want to it would be a lot easier with a smaller wt.

Killa $moke Ninja,

OF

I think I know what you mean by the bubblers use for "vape "pens. They have lil bubbler wax coil set ups at my local headshop but they come with the wax coil already attached to the lil mini bubbler for 60$.

You can get them quite cheaply on line. For instance, here's an assortment with 'burners' for well under ten bucks shipped:
https://www.fasttech.com/products/3020/10015234/2806300

For even less you can get them without the (otherwise useless) burner:
https://www.fasttech.com/p/3189600

One of the really neat features of these guys, not available on HT and other typse, is the water trap built into the top. That little glass tube keeps the water from escaping when it's on it's side, upside down, whatever......think 'in your pocket'? Yes, you can put it in your pocket, filled and ready to go, without caps or fearing leaks......

OF

Killa $moke Ninja

Thank you OF, that looks like it would be perfect. Much better price than I managed to find.I'm glad you showed me before I spent 15$ on the hydrotube or even worse 100$ on the F Bomb. I

Killa $moke Ninja,

Killa $moke Ninja

Thank you OF, that looks like it would be perfect. Much better price than I managed to find.I'm glad you showed me before I spent 15$ on the hydrotube or even worse 100$ on the F Bomb. I
I ended up talking the girl at the headshop down to 20$ for this lil baby without the burner but now I gotta make it connect. I'm hoping my universal adapter will fit.It still hasn't got here yet. I know the one you showed from fasttech is cheaper but they were out of stock and I'm too impatient to wait.I saw a few similar fm bubbler set ups somewhere in this thread. What pieces did you guys use to make it work? The part I need to connect to fits a 510 wax burner coil
Mo37coW.jpg
Mo37coW.jpg

Last edited:
Killa $moke Ninja,

Killa $moke Ninja

As I said, I've had good luck with 3/4 inch or so of 1/2 silicone tube (inside the bubbler, outside the FM MP). Like in the photo above of a slightly larger version of the same thing sitting on my ESV (and coupled with a short piece of tube....).

OF
I finally got my universal adapter today! After testing it out, I gotta say I fuccin love it! It works so much better than any of the other method of connecting my fm to a wt that I have tried. Definitely worth the extra money IMO .

OF

I finally got my universal adapter today! After testing it out, I gotta say I fuccin love it! It works so much better than any of the other method of connecting my fm to a wt that I have tried. Definitely worth the extra money IMO .

Great! Thanks for the feedback. Seems guys love it or trash talk it. Mostly the 'all glass vapor path for me' guys in the second group I think, since we've already cheated on that idea elsewhere on the vape. As they say 'once you water your Scotch all you can ever have is Scotch and water'......

To me it's a simple, elegant solution to a specific need. And cheap and easy to maintain (never bad points to have....). Personally I don't use mine much, I have other vapes set up for that already and when the urge hits with a FM, this guy is filled (can't leak) and ready to serve:
QMRwKnY.jpg

OF

happyvapeman

As I said, I've had good luck with 3/4 inch or so of 1/2 silicone tube (inside the bubbler, outside the FM MP). Like in the photo above of a slightly larger version of the same thing sitting on my ESV (and coupled with a short piece of tube....).

OF

I do the same thing with a little Fastech bubbler...works great and much better than dry for me!...

happyvapeman,
Top Bottom