Firewood Vaporizer

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
It's a discussion for another thread for sure - not specific to the FW (or pax, or etc etc)

But I had no problems switching over. >_>

I also will sometimes smoke because it's just too annoying to explain HOW to use it... watch them to ensure they use it properly and don't break my shit... and then hear them complain it "doesn't work" when it very clearly does and would rather use a method that creates much more waste, is not as efficient and tastes... even BAD as compared to delicious.

Yes it's something I'm passionate about because, as I said - I switched. Literally overnight. It's not some miracle or difficult thing lol.

What makes these people so special that it "doesn't work"????

You aren't some amazing rare and new biogenetic mutation lol. I sympathize with the people who cannot properly get effects from edibles(because THAT, is an actual thing), but there is no difference between vaping and smoking. If you can get high from one, you can get high from the other and to think otherwise is ignorant and close-minded.

Perhaps why I get so pissed off is because these people then try to impose THEIR choice on me, while completely disregarding my choice and the logic behind it.

Maybe I just know shitty people. Or maybe I'm just not high enough... yea that's probably it.

tl;dr: useless post

You hit nail right on head between this and your edit on other post as well. You know the vapes I use with my combustion buddies? CFX and Mighty and occasionally the EVO.

My friends don't really like my other vapes as much - they appreciate them and certainly get high from them but usually a CFX or Mighty between 3-4 people is the go too. It's more for me than them, they are just shitty with techniques. I've had positive comments regarding on demand vapes from them but they heap praise on the aforementioned 3. And that "hit it no technique needed" is a huge part of that for sure. One guy seems to really be able to work my Lotus but can't do my SB. Another guy is opposite lol. Too much variance in their techniques that the session styles or a powerhouse like EVO tend to be best choices for them all together.

They don't bitch either cause when they are at my house using my vapes I am a really really good host and I always pack for my house. When I'm at their house they pack and we don't vape as often, though if I have the Mighty or CFX they definitely would use that over a bowl.

I also switched overnight lol definitely took some work and getting used too but it's definitely doable.

ren.dnb

Interesting talks about the temps and steps. I get light vapor at 1 and definitely char on 3 when long and slow enough. Never used "4"...
My unit is running stock temp settings. Seems that some heaters were tuned differently? I would not believe I should get visible vapor on 1 - that's some 121C if I'm right. The "2" should be up to 176C ... I rather feel it's around 190/200 with mine judging from the ABV
I've sent mine in for a recalibration as it was running really hot at setting 1. I would pretty much char my herb on all settings. After it came back, its running better now, but still seems a little on the hot side. I'm not getting the amount of hits that I'm seeing others reporting. I can go for 7-9 hits, anything above that results in charring the herb. I'm with you on thinking some of the heaters were tuned differently.

Also, after the recal, it doesn't auto-shutoff. I contacted Marc about that issue, and also stated I plan on buying an ebonized version. He said I could send it in at anytime to have the heater on my current FW4 replaced. I might just do that before I buy the ebonized. I love my FW4; I love the form factor, I love the feedback response, and I love the flavor that comes out of it (while it lasts). I ping pong between settings 1 and 2. Settings 3 and 4 are not even an option as it simply gets too hot at that level, even after the recal.

However, right now, I have to walk on eggshells with the device. I understand the FW4 has a stronger heater powered by a more powerful battery. But I hate that a capsule only lasts for a few hits, and I have to check it constantly to make sure I'm not charring the load. My FW3 I never had that issue; but I also know the FW3 has a weaker heater powered by lower discharge batteries. Ultimately though between my FW3 and FW4, the 3 stretches out my herbs better, while the 4 seems to consume more. As long as I stick to a very specific draw technique, everything is fine, and I get 7-9 hits without charring, but dark ABV.

My FW3 lasts significantly longer than that, and the ABV comes out a bit lighter. I'm going to send the FW4 back to Marc and have the heater replaced, and just use my 3 for now. I am slightly disappointed as I really wanted to retire the FW3 and use the FW4 with my 18650's... but until its working right, I'll just have to send it back one more time.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
However, right now, I have to walk on eggshells with the device. I understand the FW4 has a stronger heater powered by a more powerful battery. But I hate that a capsule only lasts for a few hits, and I have to check it constantly to make sure I'm not charring the load. My FW3 I never had that issue; but I also know the FW3 has a weaker heater powered by lower discharge batteries. Ultimately though between my FW3 and FW4, the 3 stretches out my herbs better, while the 4 seems to consume more. As long as I stick to a very specific draw technique, everything is fine, and I get 7-9 hits without charring, but dark ABV.

My FW3 lasts significantly longer than that, and the ABV comes out a bit lighter. I'm going to send the FW4 back to Marc and have the heater replaced, and just use my 3 for now. I am slightly disappointed as I really wanted to retire the FW3 and use the FW4 with my 18650's... but until its working right, I'll just have to send it back one more time.
My experience is the opposite, on my 4 I can extract forever while the 3 will drop off quicker. Have you considered a faster draw.

paytonpenn,

ren.dnb

My experience is the opposite, on my 4 I can extract forever while the 3 will drop off quicker. Have you considered a faster draw.
Yes... I've experimented with all kinds of draws. When I sent it off initially, Marc said it was running hotter than normal, and the recal cooled it off quite a bit. It vaped better on setting 2 for a few days, then it seemed to creep back to getting hotter again but not nearly as hot as when I first got it. Then I discovered the auto-shutoff wasn't working lol.

I'm just going to send it back again and have him replace the heater lol. Should work nicely after that. I wish I was in your position with how you can vape on 3 and 4. Even if I draw so hard its ridiculous, still lol I get charred herbs =/

Just a funky heater... Either way I have faith it'll get straightened out.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Still pretty happy with mine but I'm thinking the old FW (1 and 2.1) was tastier, I think the taste is pretty quickly cashed even on level 2 but it is easier to use and more efficient and fast.

Ultimately though between my FW3 and FW4, the 3 stretches out my herbs better, while the 4 seems to consume more. As long as I stick to a very specific draw technique, everything is fine, and I get 7-9 hits without charring, but dark ABV.
totally agree with the taste diminishing pretty soon.. Gave my fw3 to a friend so I can't compare.

ren.dnb

totally agree with the taste diminishing pretty soon.. Gave my fw3 to a friend so I can't compare.
Once I get an ebonized one and/or get my current FW4's heater replaced, I'll be able to confirm. Really have a feeling the heater is running hotter than it should. Too bad I can't adjust the heat off set the other way lol.. if it were at -2, it would be perfect.

ren.dnb,
Reactions: vapen00b

vinhale

Yes... I've experimented with all kinds of draws. When I sent it off initially, Marc said it was running hotter than normal, and the recal cooled it off quite a bit. It vaped better on setting 2 for a few days, then it seemed to creep back to getting hotter again but not nearly as hot as when I first got it. Then I discovered the auto-shutoff wasn't working lol.

Grain of salt but: Could this be a sensor issue? Maybe it is stuck in "draw" mode so the heater never turns off and ambient heat build up consumes the material faster? I am new with the FW4 but my experience has been the opposite of yours; I must use a very slow draw on 3, anything works for clouds on 4 and it stretches materials more than any vape I have ever used.

ren.dnb

Grain of salt but: Could this be a sensor issue? Maybe it is stuck in "draw" mode so the heater never turns off and ambient heat build up consumes the material faster? I am new with the FW4 but my experience has been the opposite of yours; I must use a very slow draw on 3, anything works for clouds on 4 and it stretches materials more than any vape I have ever used.
Thats what I'm thinking. Since the heater and sensor are basically all in the same unit, if Marc replaces the heater it should work. I can hear the element click on whenever I start drawing and get the buzz. So thats why I've kinda ruled that out. Settings 1 and 2 are about it for me, can't think about 3 or 4 unless I want to combust =(

Thats what I'm used to on all the Firewoods I've owned is a nice slow draw at first and then speed it up a bit. My FW4 seems to be the opposite of what the status quo is on the forum. But, I'll get it sent off on Monday and go from there.

ren.dnb,
Reactions: vapen00b

ren.dnb

Ok quick question for anyone experienced.

Does the FW4 heat more intense the harder you draw? Or is it just me...

ren.dnb,

ren.dnb

Up to a certain degree, yes. But you can overwhelm the heater.
I think it's close to that whistling when pulling harder.
Ok....

I'm trying to determine whats going on. The herb that I've been able to get for the last few weeks has been weird. It seems to vape faster and I go through it faster (in all of my vapes not just the FW4). I had to turn down the heat on my desktop as it seemed like it wasn't very heat tolerant. A new batch just came in so I picked some up a couple of days ago and just got around to grinding it up yesterday.

Loaded some up in my desktop, and vaped away. I noticed it was lasting longer than the other batch, so I turned up the heat. Then I got curious, busted out the FW4 and loaded her up. However, I didn't draw like I have been with it, starting slow then eventually speeding up to just before it whistles. I started slow but sped up to THE POINT before just before it whistles (a step below where I've been going).

Lo and behold, no really charred herbs, abv wasn't darker it was lighter, and looking in the capsule this morning, looks like this thing could go for a bit more. I got about 10 hits out of it and looks like I could get 10 more.

I have been questioning the quality of the herb. I've been going to the same person for 10 years and everything has always been spot on, just this batch for the last couple of months seemed to vape faster. This stuff I just got however (from the same source), is vaping more like I'm used to. *sigh* My state sucks, they'll never legalize. But, if I have to start growing to control my quality then I'll start figuring it out. We have a grow light so I could do at least 2-4 plants.

Anyway, not sure if I should take back all of my observations as it probably wasn't the FW4 and was the quality of my herb =/ That being said, in all of my vapes I had to turn down the temp so it wasn't JUST the FW4, just I probably couldn't get that one low enough, or was drawing way too hard causing excessive heating.

So now, I dunno what to think. I do know the heater was heating hotter than normal as Marc was able to confirm it. But I'm also thinking the quality of my herb had something to do with it as well, as well as me drawing too hard getting the heater to heat up hotter than it should have. Last night, I was drawing lighter and the damn thing seemed to work how I wanted it to haha!

Anyway, opinions and thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks guys for all your help!

ren.dnb,
Reactions: muunch

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I don't know but this is the only point that prevented me from buying a FW4 so far. It's entirely based on my imagination of how it works, after reading and following eagerly this thread. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I think this draw-sense technology would not be a good match for me.

What if instead of drawing for the primer puff, you blow? Pushing air to trigger the sensor and empty your lungs, then sucking back the hit it. Does that work?

KeroZen,

hippogriff

I don't know but this is the only point that prevented me from buying a FW4 so far. It's entirely based on my imagination of how it works, after reading and following eagerly this thread. Maybe I'm completely wrong but I think this draw-sense technology would not be a good match for me.

What if instead of drawing for the primer puff, you blow? Pushing air to trigger the sensor and empty your lungs, then sucking back the hit it. Does that work?
Think of the primer-puff as a replacement for holding the button down on your Milaana/Zion. The FW4 interface is really elegant and ubiquitous. Outside of turning on and setting your temp, button-management is handled by the draw sensor; primer puff is "heat cycle on" where heat cycle begins, and draw is "keep heating". I count to 6 before slow draw at the beginning of a fresh bowl/cold heater. Once the heater's warm I just draw slow w/o waiting, and there's a sweet spot in each bowl where I can draw faster w/ good results. That all seems like general convection behavior. Efficiency & effects very similar to my Milaana, Milaana's 2-3x faster (plus wide open draw) the way I use them, tho I use my FW4 at stock temps 1 & 2 most of the time.

Yes, blowing works, just needs a bit harder pressure than drawing.

rogrog

I'd like to carry 2 or 3 different strains in the capsule holder and know which is which. anyone come up with a solution to do this without permanently marking the walnut?

rogrog,

cannabis.pro

aka 420EDC
Accessory Maker
PicsArt_04-10-06.14.56.png

TheLostResortSession: Firewood4 visits Lake Champlain Vermont

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
I'd like to carry 2 or 3 different strains in the capsule holder and know which is which. anyone come up with a solution to do this without permanently marking the walnut?

Since people use lip balm lids as capsule lids, maybe different coloured lids? I have used a red and a white lid in the past but now use mflb battery caps which work better due to soft silicon vs hard plastic, and they look better, but only come in black. Although, you could probably mark them with something sharp.

Other option is to swap out the silicon on the capsule module. Example, the fw3 has white silicon and the fw4 has black. If you have the fw4 you could source some clear/white silicon for 1 of the capsules

rogrog

great ideas!

for the time being, I have a thin oring that I slide onto a capsule

http://imgur.com/a/7DADR

a system with different colors would be perfect. currently looking for colored orings -- should the temperature range matter in this application? seems 250 degrees F is the max temp for colored orings

the white/clear fw3 silicon might be nice, too. I guess I'd have to trim down the silicon if the width is the same & swap out the glass.

rogrog,

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
https://firewoodvapes.com/collections/parts

I feel like I asked part of this before, but do the capsules for the Firewood 3 fit inside the Firewood 4? I just need the new tops with the black silicon? I know the old silicon won't fit.

I guess reading into it more it doesn't seem like it would matter because I would need the new mouthpieces which aren't sold separately without a capsule (seems like capsules are sold separately). Are the capsules bigger or anything?

I kind of am considering one......the additional $40 for the 3 mouthpiece/capsules though is holding me back... plus the fact I don't need it...but my FW3 is probably the best pure portable I own for convection. No stems, no hassle, no nothing just preload capsules and leave house. If its a significant step up I may have to take the plunge... VAS is getting at me bad lol

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: Alegre

hippogriff

https://firewoodvapes.com/collections/parts

I feel like I asked part of this before, but do the capsules for the Firewood 3 fit inside the Firewood 4? I just need the new tops with the black silicon? I know the old silicon won't fit.

I guess reading into it more it doesn't seem like it would matter because I would need the new mouthpieces which aren't sold separately without a capsule (seems like capsules are sold separately). Are the capsules bigger or anything?

I kind of am considering one......the additional $40 for the 3 mouthpiece/capsules though is holding me back... plus the fact I don't need it...but my FW3 is probably the best pure portable I own for convection. No stems, no hassle, no nothing just preload capsules and leave house. If its a significant step up I may have to take the plunge... VAS is getting at me bad lol
Capsules are the same, but the FW4 glass tube is shorter. If you really want to upgrade from the FW3, consider the FW4; swappable batteries, smaller, same great interface, but the 18650s provide a clear power boost, which means easier technique and faster extraction (for me, sticking to low temps, my 5 min FW3 sessions were cut in half w the FW4).

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
he additional $40 for the 3 mouthpiece/capsules though is holding me back

it's worth it for me, since i don't have to bring extra herb or worry about what to do with my ABV unless I'm going to be out of the house for longer than a day... 4 capsules gets me thru a day pretty easily.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
Thank you both - and I totally agree @muunch but I have 3-4 capsules and a holder for my FW3...I'll shoot him an email and see if he can sell me just the mouthpieces, I'd rather not have 8 but if that's what it comes to I'll probably bite :lol:

I'm not quite ready for it yet but it's on the shortlist :)

HellsWindStaff,
Reactions: muunch
Top Bottom