Firewood Vaporizer

blackbur

I've been using my fw3 and fw4 with my new 7mm envy glass beaker(14mm showerhead downstream)
Fw4 milks up the glass very quickly and consistently at 3..fw3 I find myself needing to do an empty pull before producing clouds.
Fw4 provides a very through extraction..everything is chocolatey brown..fw3 is more golden and light in color.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
This version 4.0 of the Firewood is so nice it still not quit my desk where my daily drivers sit, even for a day!

it looks like it supports a very rough life, learning curve is easier than with the version 1.0 and 2.1 I tested before, it's a keeper even if taste is not the best (2.1 was tastier!) but so convenient small and powerfull!

Favourite setting is 2 + some hits on 3 to cash the load. Never tested 4 and I need to experiment more on 1 for a better taste!

Got issues to get nice hits through water although taste bad if I draw too slow and weak hits if I draw too fast.... but it's totally a non issue for me since it's a dry use dedicaced vape (but I always ready to tests stuff&tricks).

ren.dnb

Ok!!

I got my FW4 back! I sent it off last Saturday so Marc could replace the heater unit in the device. Just to recap, I've been having problems with my FW4 heating up too much. It would char my material on every heat setting no matter how hard my draw was. The unit itself would also get extremely hot, and the capsule would take awhile to cool down.

I sent it back for a re-calibration, which seemed to work at first but then it crept back into its old ways. The unit also would not auto-shutoff and would just re-engage the heater after 60 seconds. I reluctantly contacted Marc again as I didn't want to be a pain in the butt, however my FW4 still wasn't working.

Marc then instructed me to send it back to him to replace the heater. I was going to get an ebonized FW4 and send him back my original one (wax buffed). However, due to financial constraints I couldn't do that. I sent him back my FW4.

Well, I got it back yesterday. Looks like he rebuffed the unit as its shinier, and it works exactly like I envisioned. I was expecting an experience similar to my FW3 but with a much faster heat up time and thats what I'm getting! Before I would get MAYBE 4-6 hits out of a cap before it charred. Sometimes even less than that. Now, I get 10+ hits before it goes dead, and the cap contents isn't charred at all... just a nice dark brown color which I'm used to (very even too I might add! no greenish bits left!).

I originally was going to write a review about the FW4 in the standard fashion like you've seen all over the internet (you know, the unboxing, here's my first impressions, OMGZ I lovez eet!, etc etc), but lol what else can I say that isn't said about it in a positive fashion? If I hated it, that would be one thing, but I've been a FW fan ever since the 2.1 when I learned about the device. And, whenever Marc makes a new one, I buy and naturally review it. My 2.1 and 3... worked perfectly.

My ordeal with the FW4 I think calls for a different kind of review, and here it is. This is a testament to Marc. Throughout my issues he stood by me and gave me his thoughts. He put up with all my emails, while I wasn't snarky, I sent A LOT of them. All I could think was he logs into his support portal saw my emails and thought "oh shit, now what...". Maybe he did, maybe he didn't lol (I completely understand being an IT support guy)... but he stuck by me and didn't back off until my issues were resolved. The FW is a great device. I love it and really admire the guy who created and makes these things. Due to his support with my issues, I think I'll always buy a new FW regardless if I need a new one or not lol. But to anyone buying a FW, know that if you have problems, just let Marc know. Especially if its out of the box on a new build. He stands by his products, stands by his craftsmanship, and bends over backwards for you to retain your customer loyalty.

Gotta love it... *raises my FW4 for a vape-toast* Marc, thanks bro! Great design, great device, and excellent customer service.

Last edited:

florduh

I was wondering if someone could help me with two questions on the FW4.

1.) What setting/technique would you use to "cash" a small amount in 1-2 hits?

And on the opposite side...

2.) I know this is "on-demand" and convection, but the unit gets pretty hot. Does anyone take a hit... set it down, then take another hit an hour or two later? If so, do you find a lot of flavor/terp degradation using it that way?

florduh,

FatOldEnt

I've recently noticed that my FW4 clicks quietly, like eighth notes in 4/4 time, and when I'm drawing in air I can also hear additional clicks like quarter notes. The clicking is very faint but I can definitely hear it.

Is this normal? I haven't noticed the clicks before because I'm usually listening to music while I smoke.

ren.dnb

I've recently noticed that my FW4 clicks quietly, like eighth notes in 4/4 time, and when I'm drawing in air I can also hear additional clicks like quarter notes. The clicking is very faint but I can definitely hear it.

Is this normal? I haven't noticed the clicks before because I'm usually listening to music while I smoke.
I believe this is just the sound of the coil in the heater expanding as it gets hotter. I noticed mine does that too, but only when I vape in a really quiet place. Normally theres too much background noise to hear it.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
Greetings,

This week I received my FW4 ( w/Tung Oil finish) with a cooling unit and a set of extra capsules. As per Marc's recommendation, I purchased 3 18650s from Li ion Wholesale.

Prior to this I have been living in the land of the Grasshoppers, but I found myself wearying of holding my breath every time I turned it on; wondering if it was going to work. Don't get me wrong, I love my hoppers, but after my third (or was it fourth) warranty repair, I decided I wanted a portable convection unit that was more reliable. Then someone from over on the GH thread whose opinion I respect (Hey Joe) spoke very highly of the FW4, so here I am!

My 18650s are almost charged but I always like to give a new unit a cleaning before first use. I'd like to be able to drop the glass stem from the cooling unit in some iso to clean it but I understand from the instructions that the silicone pieces should not be soaked.

So, my questions:

1) Are there any gotchas in sliding off the silicone sleeve from the glass stem and replacing it after cleaning?

2) Does the main body of the cooling unit ever need to be pipe-cleaned (Hey ma, look! I made a verb!!) or does the glass stem catch all the oil?

I'll post my first impressions when I've got some and will probably be back with usage questions at some point.

Thanks,

moondog

rogrog

I get a weird taste when the heater starts up and it isnt pulling vapor yet. Is this a flavor that eventually fades away?

rogrog,

moondog

I get a weird taste when the heater starts up and it isnt pulling vapor yet. Is this a flavor that eventually fades away?

I have yet to actually try my FW4, but I do notice an interesting smell to it right out of the box. Maybe like the Tung Oil finish hasn't finished curing? Just guessing here. I have no idea what Tung Oil smells like or if it smells at all.

Had a little glitch when I went to give my FW components a pre-first-use cleaning. When I went to remove the caps from my extra capsules, two of them were stuck tight. When I pried them off, the capsules had some sort of black adhesive residue around their upper rims/edges. I was able to remove the residue with a long iso soak followed by some "scrubbing" with a Q-Tip, but it took a fair amount of elbow grease. Unfortunately, one of the capsules flew out of my hand while I was scrubbing it and hit the kitchen counter pretty forcefully, resulting in the edge getting chipped. Oh well.

I used an iso-soaked Q-Tip to swab out the inside of the caps (as well as the outsides which were very tacky with some sort of residue) and they came away with a healthy amount of black/brown stuff. I'm hoping I got it all. I guess I'll find out when I reinsert the capsules once everything has dried overnight.

So, has any one else found this residue on their capped capsules? Is this something I should email Marc about?

Thanks.

moondog,

rogrog

Weird how? Woody? Metallic? Alien? :)

I'd describe it as a bitter wood flavor.

I've narrowed the flavor down to the cooling unit. hitting it native and without a capsule (while on or off) does not give this taste. only comes out with the cooling unit.

thinking of ways to clean the wood of that without damage. salt and hot water perhaps, like a cutting board?

rogrog,

ren.dnb

If you have an MFLB...

I've found the MFLB little brush is awesome. I use it on everything from my E-nano stem, to my FW4 capsules and mouthpiece. All I do is sweep out the capsule with the MFLB brush, and sweep the bottom of the mouthpiece out. That keeps it clean for quite a while. I'll do an ISO clean about once every 2 weeks.

The capsules I'll soak in ISO then rinse them off. The mouthpiece, as stated above, I'll use an ISO dipped q-tip to clean the bottom of the mouthpiece and the top portion with the glass.

I still have my MFLB and it rarely gets used. Its brush however lol, keep all my other equipment clean as well.

bounce5

Where can I read about the materials that are in the Firewood 4? Are glues used? Are there plastic parts (other than the silicone tubing around the capsules).

I have a Milaana. I love the way it functions, but do worry about the glue around the glass female piece because it's right where the herb gets heated and it get's soo hot in that area.

I wonder if the Firewood 4 is a safer choice (or at least will give me more peace of mind) in the long run.

rogrog

probably best to email firewood marc for specifics, but here's my assessment.

just from looking at my unit, the vapor path inside the heater looks to be two walls of glass tubing. the capsule then nestles inside these and is further sealed by the heat resistant silicone (the black mouthpiece part of the capsule). the capsule itself is made of silicone tubing and o-rings, stainless steel screen, and glass. the cooling unit is wood, glass, and silicone. there is no glue in this area. I cannot tell if vapor would be

the wood body is all one piece except for the glued base that holds the electronics/heater inside. the air inlet passes through the base but I cannot quite tell if the inlet is sealed off or removed from the glued pieces but it looks like it is.

so, the vapor path is mostly glass, heat resistant silicone, and a little bit of wood in the cooling unit. there is an area with wood glue but it doesnt appear to actually be in the air path.

I'm not sure of what comprises the pathway from the inlet to the double glass tubes just above the heater.

I think you'll like the firewood

Last edited:

hippogriff

Extreme FW4 modification! :rockon: Well nothing crazy, just that my Firewood has settled in as my daily to the point where I'm ok messing with it, I think I've unbalanced the design a bit, but it's now nicely customized to my use. Changes made:

- Finger groove - cut in a rounded groove where my fingers or thumb like to rest in use
- Haircut - not using my cooling units (stock and custom, see past posts or, PM me, they're both available), and I like small devices, so trimmed off the registering tabs
- Mouthpiece - I like just a tiny bit of cooling (mostly run at stock temp 1) and don't want to put my lips on the wood or silicone, so I modified a 14mm mouthpiece

Case is this one and it fits FW4, loose stem, extra battery, and space case nicely.

uvljHwo.jpg

1kNVXP1.jpg

8r8tD4Z.jpg

Ts9mTBQ.jpg

ren.dnb

Extreme FW4 modification! :rockon: Well nothing crazy, just that my Firewood has settled in as my daily to the point where I'm ok messing with it, I think I've unbalanced the design a bit, but it's now nicely customized to my use. Changes made:

- Finger groove - cut in a rounded groove where my fingers or thumb like to rest in use
- Haircut - not using my cooling units (stock and custom, see past posts or, PM me, they're both available), and I like small devices, so trimmed off the registering tabs
- Mouthpiece - I like just a tiny bit of cooling (mostly run at stock temp 1) and don't want to put my lips on the wood or silicone, so I modified a 14mm mouthpiece

Case is this one and it fits FW4, loose stem, extra battery, and space case nicely.

Wow very nice! I love what you've done physically to the FW4. Trimming off the tabs makes it look great! And that case is almost too perfect for the device lol. Thanks for sharing, gives me some ideas now lol.

moondog

Well, the FW4 has been my daily driver for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. I was having trouble regulating my draw speed at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I find that sometimes my throat gets a little irritated even though I'm using the cooling unit. Nothing too bad and easily solvable by attaching the shorter whip from my Magic Flight Orbiter to the glass mouth piece stem. Major vapor path extension and cooler vapor!

My only remaining issue is with cleaning, specifically that glass stem. Can anyone recommend a cleaning device (a particular wire brush or pipe cleaner size or something else I'm not thinking of) that can get inside of that glass stem? I'm leery of just soaking it in iso given the warning about the silicone parts on the FW's instruction sheet and I'm afraid I won't be able to get the silicone sleeve off the stem without damaging it. It doesn't seem to want to slide off.

Any tips or tricks will be much appreciated!

Gettinbetter

uvljHwo.jpg

1kNVXP1.jpg

8r8tD4Z.jpg

Ts9mTBQ.jpg
Tell us more about the mouthpiece please sir.

Top Bottom