Firewood Vaporizer

rogrog

Well, the FW4 has been my daily driver for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. I was having trouble regulating my draw speed at first but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I find that sometimes my throat gets a little irritated even though I'm using the cooling unit. Nothing too bad and easily solvable by attaching the shorter whip from my Magic Flight Orbiter to the glass mouth piece stem. Major vapor path extension and cooler vapor!

My only remaining issue is with cleaning, specifically that glass stem. Can anyone recommend a cleaning device (a particular wire brush or pipe cleaner size or something else I'm not thinking of) that can get inside of that glass stem? I'm leery of just soaking it in iso given the warning about the silicone parts on the FW's instruction sheet and I'm afraid I won't be able to get the silicone sleeve off the stem without damaging it. It doesn't seem to want to slide off.

Any tips or tricks will be much appreciated!

I blow out the avb and hit it with qtip/iso and rinse with water. If the screen that touches the herb gets too gunked up, I pull it out (pretty easy to remove, the rest is not) and torch it on my gas stove or replace.

rogrog,

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I blow out the avb and hit it with qtip/iso and rinse with water. If the screen that touches the herb gets too gunked up, I pull it out (pretty easy to remove, the rest is not) and torch it on my gas stove or replace.
Thanks for the reply, but I'm all set on cleaning the capsules. I'm trying to figure out how to clean the glass mouthpiece stem in the cooling unit.

moondog,
Reactions: rogrog

Mr Mellish

And you leave the silicon sleeve on the stem when you soak it? No ill effects?

So far, no ill effects. I've had the FW3 since Dec2015 and the FW4 since Nov2016. Although I have extra capsules for the FW4, I've always used the original.

Mr Mellish,
Reactions: Hjalmark

hippogriff

Tell us more about the mouthpiece please sir.
14mm mouthpiece from a @DDave kit I purchased for my Milaana, ground down to size (not a pretty cut, but flame polished) and reversed into FW4 silicone. In the past I've had success with random pieces from the local headshop, the silicone makes it easy.

rogrog

Thanks for the reply, but I'm all set on cleaning the capsules. I'm trying to figure out how to clean the glass mouthpiece stem in the cooling unit.

ah, my bad.

I drip a little bit of ISO into the glass stem and hold it between my finger/thumb. And then I just shake it a bit and then I rinse. works well enough for me.

rogrog,

Edric al-Fali

As beat up as my FW3 is, it is still operable and does its jorb well. After dicking around on standby for a wooden vape that's getting the GH reputation, I might just ask for a refund and get a FW4.

How is the body of this guy? My biggest complaint about the FW3 is how unbelievably fragile it is. I made a metal brace for my original when the bottom burst out. Not the plate, but the entire bottom. I had to fit it onto my replacement eventually because the cover piece no longer stays on or even keeps shape on its own. The FW4 looks a little bit sturdier.

Mr Mellish

Body of the FW4 feels really solid to me. Craftsmanship is excellent. Only breaking point would be if you close the battery door without it being seated properly. Just gotta take a second to make sure it's lined up properly before snapping it closed.

True about the battery door. I've caught myself sliding it on skewed a few times but have luckily avoided trouble. Jam it on skewed and something is sure to snap or crack.

I'm a big fan of both the FW3 and the FW4. The FW4 is noticeably smaller but the body doesn't seem to get quite as hot. Not sure why I've never tried it without the cooling unit but the cooling unit does its job. The replaceable battery is a big plus.

Given the choice of buying either, I'd probably opt for the 4. Not sure what a 5 might be like but I'm waiting to see if one ever comes.

BroodVape

True about the battery door. I've caught myself sliding it on skewed a few times but have luckily avoided trouble. Jam it on skewed and something is sure to snap or crack.

I'm a big fan of both the FW3 and the FW4. The FW4 is noticeably smaller but the body doesn't seem to get quite as hot. Not sure why I've never tried it without the cooling unit but the cooling unit does its job. The replaceable battery is a big plus.

Given the choice of buying either, I'd probably opt for the 4. Not sure what a 5 might be like but I'm waiting to see if one ever comes.
I like using it without the CU for as long as it's comfortable, and then putting it on when it gets to be a bit too much. More airflow when used native, but the CU definitely does its job.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
I'm enjoying the FW4 as well!

Couple of ideas I've been experimenting with:

1. I replaced the stock screen with a larger SS screen in the bottom of the capsule, and then bent it into basket shape with a chop stick. Never accidentally falls out now, not even during the emptying process!

2. I have been using small chunks of bud, no grinding, and fill the capsule about 3/4. Has greatly improved draw resistance and taste for me. Of course, there are many variables involved EVEN WHEN each of us use the same type of vape...things that can vary the vaping experience considerably for each of us, e.g., herb quality, draw speed, humidity in herb, grind, etc. What seems to work well for one user may not work as well for another user...still I throw that out there for anyone else who may have experimented similarly, or would like to.

FF

Last edited:

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
I'm enjoying the FW4 as well!

Couple of ideas I've been experimenting with:

1. I replaced the stock screen with a larger SS screen in the bottom of the capsule, and then bent it into basket shape with a chop stick. Never accidentally falls out now, not even during the emptying process!

2. I have been using small chunks of bud, no grinding, and fill the capsule about 3/4. Has greatly improved draw resistance and taste for me. Of course, there are many variables involved EVEN WHEN each of us use the same type of vape...things that can vary the vaping experience considerably for each of us, e.g., herb quality, draw speed, humidity in herb, grind, etc. What seems to work well for one user may not work as well for another user...still I throw that out there for anyone else who may have experimented similarly, or would like to.

FF

Yeah, that's what I like to do too. And after some hits just crumble those nuglets and put the load back into the capsule. Some more tasty and cloudy hits. :)

vapen00b,

XiolaOne

Firewood 4
My main issue with cleaning it is the screen inside the silicone piece. Putting it back in is a pain.

So, can you drop the entire silicone piece into iso?

XiolaOne,
Reactions: BroodVape

BroodVape

My main issue with cleaning it is the screen inside the silicone piece. Putting it back in is a pain.

So, can you drop the entire silicone piece into iso?
That's what I've been doing. I don't soak it, but what I'll do is put it sideways into the container so that about half of it is covered in Iso and then pick it up with my thumb and index covering the holes.

Shake it vigorously for about 30 seconds and that should do the trick. I haven't removed the screen yet, so I don't know about that.

florduh

I just received this email from Marc.

"Dear Firewood Customer,

PLEASE STOP USING YOUR FIREWOOD 4 IMMEDIATELY!

This notice is being sent to inform you of a serious safety issue that has come to light with the Firewood 4 vaporizer. There was an incident where a battery vented and caught fire immediately after the battery door was closed on the unit. Fortunately there were no injuries, but a serious safety risk still exists.

I have developed a fix for the issue that I am currently working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to get approved. Once a fix is approved, you will receive an official email and/or letter with instructions on how to proceed (should be within a few weeks from today). All US customers will receive a free return mailing label that can be used to the send the unit back for the fix (I can't generate labels for international customers but will figure out a way to reimburse those customers when the time comes). The fix will be free of charge to the customer, including shipping both ways.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Let me know if you have any questions."

Well that sucks.

Mr Mellish

I just received this email from Marc.

"Dear Firewood Customer,

PLEASE STOP USING YOUR FIREWOOD 4 IMMEDIATELY!

This notice is being sent to inform you of a serious safety issue that has come to light with the Firewood 4 vaporizer. There was an incident where a battery vented and caught fire immediately after the battery door was closed on the unit. Fortunately there were no injuries, but a serious safety risk still exists.

I have developed a fix for the issue that I am currently working with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission to get approved. Once a fix is approved, you will receive an official email and/or letter with instructions on how to proceed (should be within a few weeks from today). All US customers will receive a free return mailing label that can be used to the send the unit back for the fix (I can't generate labels for international customers but will figure out a way to reimburse those customers when the time comes). The fix will be free of charge to the customer, including shipping both ways.

I apologize for the inconvenience. Let me know if you have any questions."

Well that sucks.

That does indeed suck. My FW4 is a DD. Here's hoping all goes well for Marc.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I'd like to know more details about the incident. Is the FW4 circuit closed and "on" as soon as you close the door?

What if it was only a problem with the shrinkwrap at the top of the cell? On a damaged wrap, if the door grinds on the positive end of the cell it's possible to dislodge the insulation ring, in which case both polarities are just a few millimeters away, begging to be shorted.

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
(Removes batteries from FW4s (plural))
Wow. I used mine just last night in a crowded theater. (Gillian Welch and Dave Rawlings. YUM!!)

Boy am I glad I didn't have to yell "FIRE!" That would have sucked very, very hard.

Well, looks like it's back to HopperLand for me.

Top Bottom