Firewood Vaporizer

Mr Mellish

Instead you could do what I did when this happened to me. I went and found a fast charger that came with some rechargeable batteries that were around 2100 maH at Walmart. They were Duracell or something but I did not use the batteries. Instead I used the charger to charge the batteries that are in the FW3.

This is not really recommended, especially for repeat use as it puts the screw threads in the wood device at risk of being burred or stripped and then no more cover stay on for you...so be careful!

Aah. True. Of course, I left my battery chargers too. Should have spent more time planning my packing.

Mr Mellish,

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
Instead you could do what I did when this happened to me. I went and found a fast charger that came with some rechargeable batteries that were around 2100 maH at Walmart. They were Duracell or something but I did not use the batteries. Instead I used the charger to charge the batteries that are in the FW3.

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstanding... just got it. You charged the batts in the charger... not connected a non-stock charger to the unit...

Good move for an emergency! (only have this case once) :)

vapen00b,

Edric al-Fali

What happens after you recalibrate the heat? I bumped it 4 clicks and the thing shut off. I did it again and it shut off again. I assumed it would vibrate four times, but I didn't see any clarification on what happens next.
Does it accept the command and shut down?

I can't tell if I have a bad switch or if my timing if off. Sometimes it will shut down when I'm giving commands like changing the temp. A couple times while I was recalibrating it, it shut down after trying to put the 8 or 5 clicks in.

Edric al-Fali,

Mr Mellish

What happens after you recalibrate the heat? I bumped it 4 clicks and the thing shut off. I did it again and it shut off again. I assumed it would vibrate four times, but I didn't see any clarification on what happens next.

I can't tell if I have a bad switch or if my timing if off. Sometimes it will shut down when I'm giving commands like changing the temp. A couple times while I was recalibrating it, it shut down after trying to put the 8 or 5 clicks in.

Did you set a temp BEFORE trying to change up the temp?

Mr Mellish,
Reactions: nosmoking

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!

My device was shutting down when I would be giving commands like changing the temp or even just during the battery level confirmation buzzes. Then it started doing audible beeps instead of vibrations intermittently. The last thing it started doing was it would just steady vibrate as soon as I would turn it on and it would not stop vibrating. I'm not sure what caused this defect but I never did the recalibration or anything. It could have been due to my cover cracking as it was still one piece but had a crack down the center of it longways.

If it keeps it up, talk to Marc. I started talking to him early last week about my issues. Sent the device off on Friday. He received it Monday and already responded this morning to tell me the issues and that he would have a fixed or replaced unit on its way back to me today. So it should be about a week turn around for me which is on par with Elevape customer service and what I hope for from a good vape manufacturer.

LMAO at @Mr Mellish - sounds like you got it engrained now or something...

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
yeah in mine it shuts off right after you recalibrate the temp and doesn't give any indication of where you set it but it does raise the overall temp for future use , in those instructions where it says 8 bumps tells you where you reset to doesn't do anything for me either just shuts off.

Edric al-Fali

Did you set a temp BEFORE trying to change up the temp?

No. I followed the instructions and went through the 8 clicks after the battery indication. I assume every correct command will get a response of similar vibrations. That's why I am confused, as there was no response after I raised the temp ranges; it just gave the shutdown vibration. This isn't abnormal aside from the lack of a response buzz before shutting down.

I'm gonna take it to lunch and give it a test.

Edit: It does feel like it is bumped up in heat. I got some good, strong hits off it.

@nosmoking I hope it won't be the case where I have to return it. I don't have a backup at the moment. It does act funny sometimes, but we will see if it's just me.

Last edited:

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Hey, it may be a slim possibility but there IS a possibility that there is one other user out there as moronic as me... (no offense meant to @Edric al-Fali )
Why do you think I mentioned it? Its easy to forget when you have other vapes that already start at a certain temp or last temp. I have forgotten several times only to realize what I didn't do when the vape auto shuts off mid hit with no heat. :doh: Then I start the process over and try to remember..."must set temp".

radiant34

Only thing that's displeasing to me now about this unit is the glass chamber. Just broke mine while taking it out of the chamber. :( @paytonpenn Do you know if i have to buy the 12.95 firewood capsule or can i just buy the 2.1 glass ? not a fun thought paying 16 bux for something that might break quite often.

radiant34,

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Only thing that's displeasing to me now about this unit is the glass chamber. Just broke mine while taking it out of the chamber. :( @paytonpenn Do you know if i have to buy the 12.95 firewood capsule or can i just buy the 2.1 glass ? not a fun thought paying 16 bux for something that might break quite often.
You may want to e-mail Marc and discuss it with him, I would love to just buy capsules without the mouthpiece @firewood

I am assuming its 13 dollars because it includes the silicone mouthpiece and stuff that comes with it.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
Ask Marc...he might just be kind enough to send you a free replacement.

I have asked him a couple times about selling just the capsules and he has not responded so I don't think he really wants to. I believe the problem is that Marc cuts the glass and forms the lip himself so it's labor time which leads to the cost, certainly not the materials.

radiant34

Ask Marc...he might just be kind enough to send you a free replacement.

I have asked him a couple times about selling just the capsules and he has not responded so I don't think he really wants to. I believe the problem is that Marc cuts the glass and forms the lip himself so it's labor time which leads to the cost, certainly not the materials.

Yea, i e-mailed him. It's real unfortunate. I needa be a bit more careful now instead of just tugging on it.

radiant34,

Edric al-Fali

While we're on the topic of mouthpieces, I am looking back at the thread and seeing some nice suggestions for extensions. I'm not familiar with any of them, but I got some good leads to search.

I also see similar posts on the airflow tightness of the FW3. In this regard, what are people using to get flush seals at the mouthpiece? I see the mouthpiece for the FW3 model looks different from the previous models.
I also don't want to force glass on glass to get the seal necessary to pull air through the heater.

Last edited:
Edric al-Fali,

randomtoker

Cool thread guys. Thanks for all the reviews, comparisons, and comments. After reading most of the 72 pages, this one is becoming tempting. Easy load (capsule swapping), true stealth/portability, and quick-toke are my priorities for handheld vapes. No one has nailed all 3 yet (which is why I switched to dissolving concentrates into e-juice and vaping in e-cig pens, BUT I MISS FLOWERS SO MUCH!!!).

For those that own, how do you use yours on the go (like really on the go, camping, hiking, partying, etc. not just daily life commuting)? I would imagine I would buy extra mouthpieces and capsules so I could load up and assemble all of them and swap out as I go? Is that what people do? Also, how friendly is it to passing a puff to someone who doesn't own one? Old habits die hard, I tend to want to share and I hate vapes that require usage instruction and high chance of crap hit, then I feel weird for bothering to offer. Reading this thread, this one seems to have a learning curve (on account of the draw sensor / heater?). If this had a simple manual button like the Firefly it would be an instant buy for me (everything 'automatic' just introduces unnecessary points of failure IMO).

Edric al-Fali

Cool thread guys. Thanks for all the reviews, comparisons, and comments. After reading most of the 72 pages, this one is becoming tempting. Easy load (capsule swapping), true stealth/portability, and quick-toke are my priorities for handheld vapes. No one has nailed all 3 yet (which is why I switched to dissolving concentrates into e-juice and vaping in e-cig pens, BUT I MISS FLOWERS SO MUCH!!!).

For those that own, how do you use yours on the go (like really on the go, camping, hiking, partying, etc. not just daily life commuting)? I would imagine I would buy extra mouthpieces and capsules so I could load up and assemble all of them and swap out as I go? Is that what people do? Also, how friendly is it to passing a puff to someone who doesn't own one? Old habits die hard, I tend to want to share and I hate vapes that require usage instruction and high chance of crap hit, then I feel weird for bothering to offer. Reading this thread, this one seems to have a learning curve (on account of the draw sensor / heater?). If this had a simple manual button like the Firefly it would be an instant buy for me (everything 'automatic' just introduces unnecessary points of failure IMO).

I agree that I would prefer a power button as well, but this is fairly easy to learn.

My initial impressions are that it's a solid little vape that excels in size and speed for personal use. The price is right. It's got a steep learning curve, but if you already know how to hit a convection vaporizer or any vape, this should be fairly easy to learn. Using the single button is easy as long as you read the instructions. I personally think this is a one to two person piece because of the relatively small chamber and battery capacity.

Battery life is somewhat lacking, but I may have a bad battery or have just been killing it while trying to learn how to use it. Charge time is 4-6 hours. I don't think this would be good for camping or hiking since there is no way to quickly replenish the power like swapping batteries or refilling butane. I strongly recommend butane for camping. For my daily drive, however, it works great. It's great for a quick couple hits if you're in a hurry and you can still get blasted.

I don't think I would recommend sharing it with people who've never used a vape before. I have a hard time convincing people of liking vaporizers in general. Bag fill is the only success I've had and only because all the work is done for them by the time they get the bag.

Mr Mellish

This thing is a beast when you get the hang of it. To make it a better on the go vape, you could get a healthy battery pack to charge it but the charge time is the longest of anything I own so it might not be convenient. If you aren't worried about stealth, a Vapman would be a great choice for on the go.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
From my testing with the packs is that they aren't worth using to charge the vape and shouldn't be left in the ON position when you aren't using them. It just drains the pack and doesn't give the FW much charge even in a few hours of time.. Just my experience.

Performance doesn't seem to be much different between my Sunlabs and my Powerexs, same for battery life. I do highly recommend the battery packs.

radiant34

for any of you purchasing the fw make sure you dont make the mistake of not purchasing an extra mouthpeice like i did, it really sucks when your only glass chamber breaks on ya

radiant34,

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
If USPS wise up and stop trying to make deliveries to my post office BEFORE they open, I may actually receive my Firewood tomorrow....

In the meantime, am i the only one who constantly has The Saints "Just like firewood" going through their head? I guess i know what album i will be spinning (yes, proper old school vinyl) tomorrow night. ..hopefully.

Kaptan

Does anyone else that has a firewood also have a Cloud or Evo? I have noticed that the Elbs from the Cloud are the exact same length as the FW capsule. I am trying to find a way to attach a piece of silicone to the end of the elb to make a mouthpiece in case my glass capsule should break. Also on my original FW mouthpiece, I switched out both screens to stainless steel fine screens and have found much less particles getting down to the heater. If you want to see what I am talking about, shake or lightly tap your FW on a lightly colored table and you will see small bits coming out.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
From my testing with the packs is that they aren't worth using to charge the vape and shouldn't be left in the ON position when you aren't using them. It just drains the pack and doesn't give the FW much charge even in a few hours of time.. Just my experience.

Performance doesn't seem to be much different between my Sunlabs and my Powerexs, same for battery life. I do highly recommend the battery packs.
What postiion should the battery pack On/Off swith be in when your using the packs to provide direct power to the device?

Do you always leave the battery pack ON when not using basically now? I haven't used mine really and I still need to get good batteries for it, but ski season starts in January if the weather permits and I'm going to need that battery pack to be working the best it can. I am going to order some Eneloop batteries I figure but I never did understand the on/off switch on the battery pack and how/when to use it.

nosmoking,
First time poster, but I wanted to chime in and thank the Firewood team (one guy?). Excellent product!

Here's my mini review:

I've been using the walnut Firewood 3.0 for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed. First off, this thing is beautiful. Simple, sleek and pretty discreet. It fits in most pockets a smart phone would fit in. Feels good in the hands.

The 1 button interface is very intuitive and I love the vibration feedback. I usually pack the capsule 1/2 to 3/4 full, very lightly tamped down. I get incredible hits with this thing, but it does take some technique. I think it helps if you've figured out how to use a MFLB before. Like others have said, you can't really rip it.

My typical hit looks like: Set temp, take a few draws without the mouthpiece in until i feel the heater (takes 2-5 seconds depending on temp setting). Once it's hot, insert the mouthpiece take a deep breath and then start the sip. Very light at first, like sipping through a cocktail straw. After a few seconds you start to feel the vapor's heat on your tounge or throat. Once you feel the heat, you can increase the airflow speed and the vapor will just keep coming and coming. It feels like I can keep going as long as my lungs can handle. It's really incredible how huge of hits you can get with this. Most of my hits will take a full 15 seconds or more.
The AVB comes out very even color.

My biggest complaint is the mouthpiece/capsule system. It is a bit cumbersome. The capsule is a perfect size for a portable unit in my opinion, but it's small and sometimes hard to load. I like to do a full clean with ISO after ~5 bowls, but sometimes the screens can be annoying to put back in the capsule correctly. It likes to rotate and sometimes if I don't do it right, I will loose material into the unit and it will combust on the heater. One positive of the mouthpiece is it can just hook up to a 14mm water adaptor. I use the pinnacle water tool with it often and it is perfect!

Overall 9/10 great device! Would honestly be a perfect 10 if the capsule/mouthpiece design was a bit more user friendly.

spoons

In procrastinating a paper due in a few hours, i wrote up a review as a comment on reddit and thought I'd share it with you guys, simply because of much this thread helped me decide to get the vape.

I got mine on a few days ago in the midst of finals week and my productivity shot up because i've been so eager to finish work and use it. The firewood is such a beautiful device.

I upgraded from an arizer solo, and in case anyone is with a solo is thinking about purchasing this, prefer it for a few reasons. First and foremost i love that it heats up pretty much instantly (maybe like 10 seconds max) and the bud, for the most part, is not in contact with heat unless you are drawing. This means that if you are like me and turn it on, take one hit, and forget that it's on or get distracted, your bud isn't going to waste.

I also love the capsule system. It holds just about the same amount of herb as an arizer solo stem. I bought an extra mouthpiece and capsule so that i can pack them both and bring them with me, increasing portability. Switching between the two is completely mess free, as the herb is contained between two mesh screens.

Another feature I love, which may be problematic for some people, is your ability to control your hits, as you've mentioned. I usually put mine on heat setting 2, and give a little pre-puff. After about 5 seconds I start drawing very slowly until the temperature "feels right" on my tongue, and then continue with a constant faster draw speed to maintain that temperature. Each hit probably takes around 30 seconds.

I'm not getting huge clouds (although i'm sure i would at a temperature setting of 3 or 4) but the vape is unparalleled in it's efficiency, and the AVB is nice and dry (though i usually aim fo a lighter AVB as i usually prefer minimizing sedative effects).

Still my favorite thing about the firewood is it's beauty and manufacturing quality. I was expecting something bigger and less dense, and was so pleasantly surprised with its simplistic beauty. It is dimensionally smaller than my iphone 6 and about twice the thickness. And the lack of any accidental buttons that can be pushed, as well as the absence of any moving parts that can fall out or break makes it an ideal vape for on-the-go use.

I'd be happy to answer any questions than anyone may have about the vape, especially for people wanting comparisons to the solo, as i didn't find much before purchasing it.

my question is...how can u clean up the oven?
There is not really an oven that needs cleaning. The herb is contained within the mouthpiece, essentially two pieces of glass held together in a silicone casing. There is a screen on the bottom of the capsule that you fill with bud, and a screen at the end of the bigger mouthpiece glass, preventing the herb from being sucked through. the actual heating element never gets exposed to herb, making it a pure convection vape. As far as cleaning the mouthpiece, ive just been tapping out the AVB and using a dull toothpick to clean screen. When it starts to cake up, you can simply soak both pieces in isopropyl alcohol.

EDIT: Oops...not sure how to delete this but i accidentally responded to a two+ year old question :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom