excessive vape coughing

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations FarScaper,

...a cool drink after a couple pulls...

Agreed, having a glass of water handy always used to be a good idea! Then there are alternative complements as once imagined by StinkMeaner below:

By the way... There happened to be some more related discussions taking place over there lately:

:ninja:

This particular mention of ultrasonic mist generators for use with vaporizers probably was the initial sparkle for me, i believe. Now please lets focus on the amounts... For example, in a glass of water the moisture comes from a relatively dense liquid. In comparison a nebulizer as illustrated above delivers moisture instantly to the whole respiratory tract under the form of cold water droplets suspended in mid-air (water mist or fog), helping to prevent the dryness which vaporization may cause as a side-effect.

Here's the most non-invasive manner to explore the benefits of fog conditioning:

It manages with the cause instead of the symptom. Though in consequence of a possibly steeper learning curve i'd be more in favour of those ready to argue that the secret actually resides in better control of their mixing ratio:

It's no fancy technology but i'm satisfied with the performance i've been able to observe while playing with it.

:tup:

Now that i've got a mist generator that's all i need, after all:

Not as elegant as glass but a lot more convenient for the budget - and it's on some shelves, nearby!

:science:

Fog conditioning implemented in a similar way should delay (if not prevent) dryness symptoms, for all i can tell so far. With such a resource around i'm quite pleased to find that my session's quality no longer depends on availability of something to drink since there's virtually no need for it in the 1st place...

But it's one thing to tell the good news, it's quite another to share how it's made so good i guess!

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: t-dub

farscaper

Damnit im now kicking myself for selling the ultrasonic atomizer I had a while back for cloning. oh well, that had been contaminated some with nutrients so i doubt it would be a good idea to use... well, i can get another one cheap, i think they can be found for between 15 and 30 bucks on ebay...

Edit: the shutter idea is balls! i love it, so simple... and then your set to adjust to your level of choice... i wonder if one could add the "vicks" type inhalant as well to the mix... for those like me suffering a little but willing to suffer to vape.... that would be healing and lifting!

additional edit... I can see easily how this works. I found (in the doobie days) that smoking in the steam of an over steamed bathroom from the shower also had an added benefit. smoking was much more pleasant and when the steam dissipated about 90% of all smell went with it. no doubt it was stuck to the walls some where or something, but never the less the principle seems easy enough, i guess i just did it cause it was effective and never really gave it much more thought... i just thought i liked to sauna :shrug: but replace shower steam with cool atomized mist and that might just beat grandpas stilettos of any perc.

farscaper,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again FarScaper,

The Mist Maker modules are cheap and this fact certainly shows in their reliability, IMHO.

It was somewhat suprizing how tiny my mixing aperture needed to be in order to garantee enough drag-force within the cannabic vapour path (otherwise only fog would come out). The Sunbeam model i picked at Walmart doesn't provide support for medication but this single case doesn't imply all similar ultrasonic devices would be the same. I concur, a drop of camomille should work nicely i suppose...

The setup pictured below wasn't exactly user-friendly:

qq92cn.jpg

My HerbalAire and its pump hardware are finally taken out of the equation by switching from direct inhalation mode to simple bag filling. It's not like carying a joint in a sauna but that was a step in the appropriate direction. Shutter tweaking was straightforward and it allowed me to quickly find a sweet spot where i'm satisfied with the main aspects of this wash-less "filtration" method.

I can see easily how this works.

Then you know what good fog can do! Now, how far can you look into the future? :brow:

Perhaps i'm all wrong but someday it may all end up being integrated into 1 neat portable product. The power drive in a water nebulizer and that of an induction cooker, for example, appear to cover a range of compatibles frequencies... Someone, eventually, will imagine taking advantage of that characteristic once such concepts have gained in popularity - at the current rate long after my bones have turned to dust i'm afraid!

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi everyone,

My HerbalAire and its pump hardware are finally taken out of the equation by switching from direct inhalation mode to simple bag filling.

This passage may be worth a proper illustration, to explain what i meant exactly - or just to remind myself...

So here's a picture i've just made:

11b5jxc.jpg

The various paths can be described in the following order:
  • Room-Temperature Fresh Air (1, 2)
  • Dry/Hot Cannabic Vapor (3)
  • Dry/Cooled/Blended Cannabic Vapor (4, 5)
  • Water-Washed Cannabic Vapor (6, 7)
  • Fog-Conditioned Cannabic Vapor (8)
No doubt there's a lot of noble molecules left behind during that particular process, more than i'd probably wish to know in any case! Yet, sometimes it's nice to have options. Maybe one i could tag the "BWF" method, as in Bag-it/Wash-it/Fog-it!...

Egzoset,
Thanks for the replies folks, have heeded your advice & slowed my draw a bit & making sure to breathe more between hits also drinking water during vape sessions. A combination of these pieces of advice certainly makes for a much cruisier experience.
I've smoked the beautiful herb for the past 30 years (daily for the past 10] & didn't quite have the old brain tuned in to the whole vaping thing...I was still trying for the 'thick hits' as you described Roger D, much better now, it's all goooood !!!:D

the old OZ guy,

Egzoset

Banned
Be cautious should you ever decide to try something like this, as suggested multiple times here in the present thread, previously:

That one is the Vicks V5100NS Ultrasonic Humidifier, i'm sure there are many more functional equivalents available on the market. Well, looking back at the Mabis Steam Inhaler (once mentioned by StinkMeaner) i begin to suspect that's a thoughtful option.

But yet the one thing most noticeable about that Vicks unit was the manufacturer's warning addressed to teenagers relatively to the risks of medication abuse - which implies this model above should be "cleaner" than what i managed to find locally, since maintenance is included in the design, while mine turns out be rudimentary in comparison:

Indeed!! Please take note this specific product has no demineralization cartridge, which means only distilled water should be pourred in, ideally... Otherwise there might be salty after-tastes, i believe!

:ko:

Anyway, i'd start searching for one of those medicinal ultrasonic vaporizers if i could travel back in time! I'm sure the device would be healthier & more reliable than a Mist Maker contraption. In short, forget Sunbeam, ask to see the Mabis Steam Inhaler, or maybe a Vicks, etc!

In fact that makes a lot of sense to me now, it's just a matter of testing the idea.

Hummm... I wonder what plastic bottle format would fit the circular opening(?)...

Also, how should i proceed to give my fog-conditionned cannabic vapor some chamomile after-taste using one of those applicances???

Egzoset,

OO

Technical Skeptical
Larry had the answer all along.

Try boiling water, and put it in a 'water conditioning device' and vape through that!

The extra humidity really improves the condition of the air.

No sign of coughing/irritation.

OO,
Maybe I'll try hot water again. The past few weeks I've had coughing fits even while vaping through water. It's a marked change for me :uhoh:

edit: confirmed, it does work better. I knew it did, but I've always used luke warm water anyways. Still coughed a bit, but my lungs stayed in place this time :)

kingofnull,

weedemon

enthusiast
mot read the whole thread cause i'm feeling lazy, but my 2 cents.

water filtration takes the edge off harsh vapor.

and having a drink on hand really helps too.

when vapor is warmed up it feels dry and therefore feels harsher. if you can cool the vapor it will also feel nicer.

weedemon,
Reactions: Tweek

Tweek

Once you start adding complicated misters and all of that, you have to really be diligent in your maintenance. Bacteria can build up pretty quickly in those...

I prefer a plain old bubbler and lots to drink. Hot water in the bong or bubbler helps alot.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

Larry had the answer all along.

Larry will need to update as it turns out the answer is sitting right here on my desk!

Try boiling water...

It IS on my agenda, i just didn't get inspired by what i saw while shopping around so far...

...if you can cool the vapor it will also feel nicer.

My present installation happens to merge both cooling and moisturizing in 1 single operation so i'll have to think of another test-bench in order to include hot water vapor as yet another parameter into that picture!

Still awaiting inspiration but thanks for the support everyone.

Egzoset,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
Once you start adding complicated misters and all of that, you have to really be diligent in your maintenance. Bacteria can build up pretty quickly in those...

I prefer a plain old bubbler and lots to drink. Hot water in the bong or bubbler helps alot.

Me too, with the high maintenance and not knowing if its safe, I use my bubbler 99% of the time. Imo mist are better for balloons than direct draw, and I'm starting to get tired of the volcano
With the mist maker you can't see the vapors coming through the glass cause its already blurred and its a big negative as you can't control what you take

Roger D,
Reactions: Tweek

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Roger D,

...not knowing if its safe...

My initial intent wasn't to submit a "finished" solution/product, it's a never-ending experience made possible by affordable technology such as the Mist Maker and its ultrasonic humidifier alternatives which proved to be more than sufficient for a preliminary evaluation. That's all there is to it as fog conditioning still needs to be investigated if i'm not mistaking.

...mist are better for balloons than direct draw...

Bags are a natural complement prior to fog conditioning though i've been tweaking for a while now and i'm finally ready for (almost) direct inhalation as a result! Judging on last night's tasty moments i've decided it would be fun to fill a fog-conditioned bag in 1 single step instead, actually: in my opinion that's going to be memorable in terms of comfort and convenience.

...you can't see the vapors coming through the glass cause its already blurred and its a big negative as you can't control...

This technique's sexy simplicity comes at the cost of an inherent design limitation, control...

Egzoset,

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
fog conditioning still needs to be investigated

I can't agree more about that

EDIT :
Bags are a natural complement prior to fog conditioning though i've been tweaking for a while now and i'm finally ready for (almost) direct inhalation as a result! Judging on last night's tasty moments i've decided it would be fun to fill a fog-conditioned bag in 1 single step instead, actually: in my opinion that's going to be memorable in terms of comfort and convenience.

Great idea in theory, but I'm not sure about putting some humidity in a balloon. Really looking forward your results (;

Roger D,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Roger D,

...fog conditioning still needs to be investigated...
I can't agree more...

As a matter of fact perhaps you can help me understand what's the better approach when it comes to sharing such finding. I mean, despite our efforts fog conditioning ain't got very popular so far...

...I'm not sure about putting some humidity in a balloon.

I am sure: that's a risky idea under most circumstances!

...looking forward your results...

Yes, perhaps the time has come for me to draw some conclusions from my tests and start sharing it so lets see...

39.gif

Well, 1st of all our present thread being about "excessive vape coughing" i'm going to contribute with a testimony to the fact that fog conditioning renders my vaporizating sessions a lot more enjoyable. It turns out i just finished a bottle 20 minutes ago and i haven't felt so good for a long while!...

By the way, i've got rid of the Shutter Aperture at the Mixing Site and replaced that "U" tube with one which only has 1 tiny 1/16" hole instead (or so)... That way it won't displace accidentally anymore and i'm satisfied with my tweaking. It's not difficult anyway to revert to a shorter inhalation path, for the pleasure of feeling an invading sensation, like some spicy taste.

Yet it's comforting to have my ballon/bottle and fogger around now that i have them.

Talking of path lengths, i've verified that the Water Valve could be removed since there's sufficient buildup in the "U" tube to close the Mixing Hole between inhalations and prevent injection of mist into the vaporizer arm... The slurping sound generated at the Mixing Site provides good feed-back, it's even the source of some deep sounds that made me wonder enough to take off my earphones, to check around! That's usually the moment i miss those memorable Mist Maker light shows...

My next problem would be to find a more permanent solution...
105.gif

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

It could be a while until i find the perfect material for some boiling water experiment. A couple days ago i went back home with articles found locally - as always - but i still need to think it over 'cause the sparkle ain't there just yet!...

:science:

In the meantime this thread could end up in the ABV (archive) section so lets draw some conclusions while it's time.

:D

Before anything else lets repeat to the attention of the masses that this is an experiment which isn't meant to be made permanent unless the operator really know his business. Be warned: the core could eject while Spock is nowhere around to be found, go figure! Euh...

:lol:

Ah! Ah! But i'm still being serious when i insist on the fact that it's more like a toy, for fun... In this period of the year here's a relatively affordable activity to have during the Christmass season, after all!

So, once it's agreed that nothing i've shown has what it takes to be used on a permanent basis, for all practicall purposes, euh... The reader is invited to check for himself what good fog conditioning could be like should that method gain wide acceptance amoung us some day, with properly designed glassware, etc.

105.gif

What's the deal???

No deal, it's all yours! Do whatever you want about it!...

Though i'd warmly suggest you do yourselves a favour, people; if coughing is a problem then please consider mixing a limited amount of water vapor with your cannabic vapor! Hot or cold, whatever works for you. I have a hint it's worth a try, at least i find it should put back the "pleasure" concept in cannabis consumption...

According to my personnal observations the urge to cough isn't garanteed to be totally suppressed but a suitable compound ratio appears to promote convenient inhalations while the coughing is being delayed just enough to experience a satisfying level of absorption, typically.

That's my testimony. Control is Paramount here, even if it did work without a "Mixing Aperture" somehow i certainly wouldn't go back to those spoiled days!!

:\

In any case i hope some of the readers will be tempted to play with similar ideas...

Good day, have fun!

GR

I am going to have to try hot water for dabs of oil. It took me a while to get used to vaping flower through the Da Buddah a few years ago but technique solved the coughing plus I think my body had to adjust after 30 years of combusting. This past year I started using BHO oil ( made from low buds, no trim or leaf) in an omicron , after two weeks of just oil I had to cut way back and even went back to combusting flowers so I could get medicated without coughing up a lung even with tiny wispy oil hits. Eventually I got used to oils through the Omni and wanted more taste and less time on sessions to get medicated so I got some glass with a skillet and a nail, great powerful hits, great taste, can't do a dab with out coughing most of the time and after a few weeks I have to take a break.

I notice a big difference for myself in the cough that comes from combusting flower I get a deep rumble of a cough that is productive and is over after something is expectorated . When I cough from oil (especially dabbing) I get a dry unproductive cough that if irritated any more can go on for 20 min of horrific coughing. This means I can only do the smallest dab which leaves me wanting another and if I take it I will cough.

Either I need to find a solution to smoothing out my dabs or I need to find a different method that will give me the flavor and the punch a dab of oil will do. BTW I have watched the you tubes of 10 in a row oil hits in one breath or just the general size of people's dabs, I would be in a world of pain if I attempted this.

GR,
Reactions: Egzoset

OO

Technical Skeptical
I am going to have to try hot water for dabs of oil. It took me a while to get used to vaping flower through the Da Buddah a few years ago but technique solved the coughing plus I think my body had to adjust after 30 years of combusting. This past year I started using BHO oil ( made from low buds, no trim or leaf) in an omicron , after two weeks of just oil I had to cut way back and even went back to combusting flowers so I could get medicated without coughing up a lung even with tiny wispy oil hits. Eventually I got used to oils through the Omni and wanted more taste and less time on sessions to get medicated so I got some glass with a skillet and a nail, great powerful hits, great taste, can't do a dab with out coughing most of the time and after a few weeks I have to take a break.

I notice a big difference for myself in the cough that comes from combusting flower I get a deep rumble of a cough that is productive and is over after something is expectorated . When I cough from oil (especially dabbing) I get a dry unproductive cough that if irritated any more can go on for 20 min of horrific coughing. This means I can only do the smallest dab which leaves me wanting another and if I take it I will cough.

Either I need to find a solution to smoothing out my dabs or I need to find a different method that will give me the flavor and the punch a dab of oil will do. BTW I have watched the you tubes of 10 in a row oil hits in one breath or just the general size of people's dabs, I would be in a world of pain if I attempted this.
I think that concentrates are a different ball game when used with the common techniques.
I think this is because of the energy density of the concentrate vapor condensate, that stuff is boiling hot and dense. Thinner is better I believe in that case, e.g. smaller quantities.

OO,

Rab

Sometimes the hits I take from da buddha are so strong my vision blacks out for a few seconds (like i am going to faint) then for a further 10-20 seconds my hand shakes as i cough my guts out and my eyes water

Seriously feels fucking good..Lets me know its working :)

but DBV uses more weed than other vaporizers if you rip it like that

Rab,
Reactions: Roger D

z9

I put my bong on my candle water for steamy dabs. For some reason I've always enjoy a steamy vape hits. I only do it because I have shitty glass, I'd be worried about leaving a good bong on the candle warmer.

z9,

GR

I think that concentrates are a different ball game when used with the common techniques.
I think this is because of the energy density of the concentrate vapor condensate, that stuff is boiling hot and dense. Thinner is better I believe in that case, e.g. smaller quantities.

Yup, after reading your reply I changed up my approach, small dab with as slow of a draw I can while keeping vapor in the glass, no more coughing up a lung or almost blacking out, at worst I get a productive cough. All bets are off if I get lazy and don't scrape excess off the dabber or if I suck it up in a split second, instantly that tickle of irritation followed by coughing fit.

I did try hot water in the glass piece, it seemed soothing but I did not care for the warm moist feel over all. This got me thinking about the Mabis for pre and post hit conditioning with warm mist, I feel like for myself when it is to late and I am coughing this device might help to calm the fit. Following some more links I see the use of the ultrasonic cool mist devices, I really like the glass piece with the led lights and if I where 30 years younger that would have been made before I posted.

GR,

MrNorml

hey there

i'm pretty new to vaping, been smoking spliff for 20 years but bought a da buddah a few weeks ago and loving it.

i'm vaping straight green though it, but my problem is that it generally seems to result in insane coughing fits, which on more than one occasion have led me to vomit.

am i doing something wrong?

is this common, or something that will clear up given more regular use?

any advice, hypotheses or information would be much appreciated

cheers, dan
Glycerine tubes in your future? They REALLY cool the vapor down and make it taste downright wonderful.

MrNorml,

Ricchini

Glycerine tubes in your future? They REALLY cool the vapor down and make it taste downright wonderful.

I was always under the impression that the heat from combustion, and primarily the temperature of the smoke entering your lungs, scorches your bronchial tubes and causes the wheezing sensation, heavy lungs, hacking cough or whatever you want to call it. I do know that cannabis is an expectorant, as well as an anti-inflammatory. I usually just hack it all up in a very guttural manner. No shame, just let the body give it up, just like a sneeze. If you're going to sneeze, best you make it an epic sneeze. It's strange how sneezing is a pleasurable sensation to us all. So is vaping cannabis......

My question to you MrNorml is does that glycerin cooler really tame the vapor? Do your lungs thank you the next day, because you didn't scorch them? instead you enjoyed beautiful, chilled vapors.

Tell me this isn't just my imagination..... that's what I have been lead to believe by their advertising.

Really interested in picking one of them up in the future. Just wanted to know how it changes the the experience. Seeing if cooling your vapor has eased the burden on your lungs? I take rather large rips with da Buddah standard hose, and if your temperature range gets too high you can still irritate the bronchi. Does it moisten the hit as well?

Plus it's just a beautiful device, the coil and concept. If you uncoiled the glycerin coil and bent it into a straight pipe, it looks like you would have 12+ inches long of glass whip tubing in a sense. A 12+ inch Glass whip section, encased in frozen glycerin.... that's just fucking nice....

Ricchini,

MrNorml

My question to you MrNorml is does that glycerin cooler really tame the vapor? Do your lungs thank you the next day, because you didn't scorch them? instead you enjoyed beautiful, chilled vapors.

Tell me this isn't just my imagination..... that's what I have been lead to believe by their advertising.

Really interested in picking one of them up in the future. Just wanted to know how it changes the the experience. Seeing if cooling your vapor has eased the burden on your lungs? I take rather large rips with da Buddah standard hose, and if your temperature range gets too high you can still irritate the bronchi. Does it moisten the hit as well?

Plus it's just a beautiful device, the coil and concept. If you uncoiled the glycerin coil and bent it into a straight pipe, it looks like you would have 12+ inches long of glass whip tubing in a sense. A 12+ inch Glass whip section, encased in frozen glycerin.... that's just fucking nice....

Yes it does and yes my lungs do thank me when I use the tube. I forget I have one most of the time but it is a very pleasant sensation. Actually I have 2 but can't access 1 currently. It does not moisten just cools. Seems to infuse a menthol taste to me which is also a nice experience.
I think if you get one you will not be disappointed. Just remember to pop it back into the freezer when you're done so it's ready for the next session.

MrNorml,
Reactions: Ricchini
Top Bottom