Discontinued Epicvape EV-1/EV-2

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Damn that was quick, checked tracking and I should have this one in my hands today. Cheers.

IAmKrazy2,

max

Out to lunch
IAmKrazy2 said:
I exchanged a few emails with Andy, sounds like he has already made a slight change, the nomal temp. Has been bumped up a few degrees and boost is staying the same. Mine will be the first unit with the change and ideally ships today or tommorow.
Mine came in a couple of days ago, and I find the lower/normal temp setting to be higher than my PD, and that's a little higher than I'd like. This vape seems to be an easy to use, quality unit, but I would need a lower 'normal' temp, not a higher one.

max,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
max said:
IAmKrazy2 said:
I exchanged a few emails with Andy, sounds like he has already made a slight change, the nomal temp. Has been bumped up a few degrees and boost is staying the same. Mine will be the first unit with the change and ideally ships today or tommorow.
Mine came in a couple of days ago, and I find the lower/normal temp setting to be higher than my PD, and that's a little higher than I'd like. This vape seems to be an easy to use, quality unit, but I would need a lower 'normal' temp, not a higher one.

Didn't know you had one Max. Nice.

Went through three bowls already, and i do like this unit. Good build quality, pretty little package. I would say the standard mode is a little higher in temp then i am used to or prefer also (like Max), but it just has me sucking a little faster on the whip then i am accustomed to to get my hit. This quick draw, lowers the temp. After thousands of PD bowls, the hit method is second nature. But with the EV1 I have to hit a lot faster, something that will be very easy for smokers. This may be a great vape for the new vaporists, and has a very small learning curve. You can also get from sober to ripped pretty quick, it hits fast. These are my first impressions, lots more to come including.... a transfer wand test in a few hours. Left work early today to get some things done, but will be back to test some more in an hour, but im about to do one more bowl before i leave. About to pack up some Sour Kush (not headband, Bubba Kush x Sour Diesel) its a great morning/afternoon buzz, cheers.

IAmKrazy2,

max

Out to lunch
IAmKrazy2 said:
with the EV1 I have to hit a lot faster, something that will be very easy for smokers. This may be a great vape for the new vaporists, and has a very small learning curve. You can also get from sober to ripped pretty quick, it hits fast.
Yes, a very good vape for introducing smokers, especially big hit fans, to vapor. I would like to see two different normal range temps, in addition to boost, since it seems that one 'normal' setting isn't going to satisfy everyone. A more flexible tubing type would also be nice, since the stiff tubing on mine doesn't line up both the bowl end and the mouthpiece end properly. And more flexibility would also make mouthpiece and bowl removal easier. I tried the 3/8"-1/2" 7th Floor size, instead of the stock size (5/16"-7/16" I believe), but it's a little large. I think tubing that has the flexibility of the 7th Floor stock, along with the current size, would be much better.

max,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
max said:
IAmKrazy2 said:
with the EV1 I have to hit a lot faster, something that will be very easy for smokers. This may be a great vape for the new vaporists, and has a very small learning curve. You can also get from sober to ripped pretty quick, it hits fast.
Yes, a very good vape for introducing smokers, especially big hit fans, to vapor. I would like to see two different normal range temps, in addition to boost, since it seems that one 'normal' setting isn't going to satisfy everyone. A more flexible tubing type would also be nice, since the stiff tubing on mine doesn't line up both the bowl end and the mouthpiece end properly. And more flexibility would also make mouthpiece and bowl removal easier. I tried the 3/8"-1/2" 7th Floor size, instead of the stock size (5/16"-7/16" I believe), but it's a little large. I think tubing that has the flexibility of the 7th Floor stock, along with the current size, would be much better.

I agree completely, that is my preferred type of tubing. Flexibility also helps prevent knock-overs.

Well, the transfer wand works, but i wouldn't use the el-bowl cap with it. The cap will become lodged into the unit when you pull out the wand. About to test more by just tilting it back a bit, and not using the screen.

Also, in regard to this being a good vape for a newb or regular smoker only having a couple of settings really does dumb things down a bit. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who said "this doesn't work", like you might get from user error from a first time PD/MZ user.

I am already noticing how important draw speed is, i must say it again. When you unplug this vape it cools down quick. When you hit this vape very slow, like most do with a PD, you will get quite a bit of a higher temp. than a quick pull will.

So far like the bowl design and the little tool is mandatory. Not as refined as what the VXC offers but very similar. This will not be near the last vape with a little screen cap for the bowl, its just a solid concept.

IAmKrazy2,
i never seen a combuster not get a good kick out of a fresh vapor stem in right bubbler. :lol:

Its great to great your review though krazy. You put everything into great terms. . . The unit sounds solid!

Are you currently running it with a whip setup? How is the increased temp?

biojuggernaut,

Nosferatu

After just hitting this thing this morning I think it would be a big mistake to higher the temp. Unless mine is extra hot its been getting the herbs dark brown on thenormal setting. I know draw speed affects the temp and that if its too hot I can not put the bowl in all the way. But what happened to set it and forget it? I want the normal temp to be low enough so that I can even leave the bowl in and after a few hits not see a black spot. Cuz thats already how it is now, so I'm not understanding the highering of the temperature thing, unless mine isnt like the others?

Like I said have this new higher normal temp your thinking of, plus one a little lower than what the normal is now, and an even hotter boost for a THREE MINUTE WARM UP. Is there any reason this is hard or undoable?

With the awsome new bowlpiece gadget you might as well go all out. :brow: :peace:

Nosferatu,

Ennui Cookout

Since the last incident with combustion, I've not had another issue using boost since I now know it'll eventually hit a temp that can combust and it can sneak up on you, so I've restricted its use to startup and concentrates only. I'm not going to weigh in too much on what I think the ideal temps should be, but something along the lines of a 'PD/MZ' lower temp and a secondary 'medium' temp that's a bit higher than the current normal temp would probably be ideal. Draw rate with this vape can be so variable that at some point I suppose you just need to select two temps and ask the user to adapt their draw rate. I do feel that two temps plus boost would be the way to go still, but I know I still love this vape even in its current state, minor niggles and all.

The real lingering issue I still come across has been one that IAmKrazy just restated, mainly that the bowl cap can get stuck in the chamber. I've been more meticulous about not quite letting gravity settle the elbowl joint into the chamber and that's seen 'stuck' moments drop to practically zero, but I'd love to see that issue vanish so I can just set and forget if at all possible. Mainly I think it's a combination of gravity and the whip pushing the bowl around that manages to push the lip of the bowl cap right to the point where the chamber screen is and it catches. This kinda sucks because you gotta carefully pull the elbowl out else risk breaking it and it's almost certainly going to pull the bowl cap out in the process and potentially make a mess. Again, if you curl your index finger along the portion of the elbowl where the hosing attaches and rest your second knuckle on the unit itself while lowering the bowl into the heating chamber, you're not going to get a snag. Just a PROTIP, though the 'stuck' issue is uncommon to begin with.

Perhaps with that awesome new removal tool Andy provided a shot of, the lip formed by the bowl over the elbowl joint can be reduced/filed down to prevent snagging without making pulling the cap off difficult, but that's just an off the cuff idea. I had seriously thought of making such a tool just due to having to use crude tools to carefully pop the cap off when it's hot, so I'm psyched to see there's an official tool for this very task. Well done, Andy!

EDIT: Just because I'm totally blazed out of my mind right now on the EV-1, I feel like I really need to stress that no matter what minor criticism I have about this unit, I really do love the shit out of it and I just want to see the best possible outcome with its development. I don't mean to seem overly critical, since honestly this is the best thing I have ever used so far as getting the job done fast and simple without much mess, which is exactly what I look for. I only suspect the VXC might best this (due to the extra comfort of water filtration alone, though its heating system has me VERY curious...) and even then, you're talking at about twice the cost and I don't think the Cloud is going to be half as 'party-safe' as the EV-1 is, just by the nature of all that glass involved. This unit is durable as hell so far. Anyway, back to the EV-1...

Ennui Cookout,

Twanbiz

I haven't had any issues with the bowl sticking in the piece. I have hit hundreds of bowls on boost and have not had the combust issue once, but I do not leave it on for extended periods of time. I use a paperclip to remove the screen cap and have not had issues. The piece darkens the material nicely but does not char it. I do have an issue with the under-screens. I removed one of them, and the other becomes difficult to keep in place. It warms up quickly and provides big hits. Thanks for a great vape.

Twanbiz,

the ob

all good in the hood.
so I am trying to understand. Are people still beta testing these? The website makes them look like they are for sale?

Is there a discount for FC members? This was never cleared up. I guess I am just confused because there is a beta test link and a regular purchase link on the website.

can someone clear this up for me?

the ob,

Gongvape

the ob said:
so I am trying to understand. Are people still beta testing these? The website makes them look like they are for sale?

Is there a discount for FC members? This was never cleared up. I guess I am just confused because there is a beta test link and a regular purchase link on the website.

can someone clear this up for me?

ill try to help you understand.. Yes The Epic Vape is still in beta testing. i have read there has been some temp changes recently. Some Beta Testers may still be waiting to get there units.. i know IAMKRAZY2 just got his Beta unit a couple days ago. I am still waiting on mine to come. Im thinking ill get the latest version.

I think the Web site has the option to pre order the Ev-1 for a presale price. witch is a discount for FC members i belive maybe!

The E-pik is a cool little tool nice work Andy.. the new Figured Maple is looking beautiful aswell.

Gongvape,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I would email Andy about the beta program, with the recent change he may do more beta testers. Good luck.

IAmKrazy2,

gvape

Damn, I need to get one of those e-piks! WOW to the figured maple unit. It looks AWESOME! Would love to see some of the improvements, not sure how I will like a hotter temp though :/

IamKrazy2, you think a LSV wand is worth buying?

gvape,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I am very suprised to say I have prefed the whip. I think it is basicly due to the fact that it better cools the vapor. The transfer wand does provide better taste, and may be worth getting if you like collecting extras like me. You can't use the cap but I simply tilted the vape up a little and the wand upward.

IAmKrazy2,

gvape

Could you use the cap if the transfer wand was ground down a little? I would still like to be able to use the cap. Maybe I could email 7th floor and ask for a shorter or ground down end so that I could use the screen cap.

I really just want a male to male glass connector I can just use this right in to the tube and not mess around with any whips. Anyone know a good blower/not that expensive that could make me this piece AND fit the screen in the inside?

I agree that three temps is ideal, but in any case I really am not for the higher temp if only two temps are allowed. If you could get the third temp down then I would pretty happy with this. Also from my last combustion I tried to clean the tube with iso but it just didnt do the job. It still doesn't taste right and has a pretty discolored look. For the meantime I have been using my tubing from my SSV, but I do need to get some new tubing so I dont have to keep switching them.

gvape,

Earths Essence

Ordered one of these through the "Beta Program" a few days ago, and have yet to hear back from Andy.

Has anyone else had email issues with the Epic-Vape team/staff?

Earths Essence,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Yes, it is likely after some grinding or motification that the transfer would work with the cap, but I can't be certain.

IAmKrazy2,

max

Out to lunch
Earths Essence said:
Ordered one of these through the "Beta Program" a few days ago, and have yet to hear back from Andy.

The vape isn't finalized yet, and I seriously doubt that a vape 'company' in this stage has any staff but Andy, and he may well be working a 40 hr. (or more) week for someone else as well. VapeXhale does have a team/staff, but stonemonkey, for one, is at present working as many as 60 hrs. or so per week at a 'day job'. Everyone needs to give these fledgling companies a break on response time.

max,

Earths Essence

max said:
Earths Essence said:

The vape isn't finalized yet, and I seriously doubt that a vape 'company' in this stage has any staff but Andy, and he may well be working a 40 hr. (or more) week for someone else as well. VapeXhale does have a team/staff, but stonemonkey, for one, is at present working as many as 60 hrs. or so per week at a 'day job'. Everyone needs to give these fledgling companies a break on response time.

Max, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to annoy anyone, especially you, because I consider you one of the more "experienced" FC members, glancing at your post count.

Earths Essence,

los

Earths Essence said:
max said:
Earths Essence said:

Max, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to annoy anyone, especially you, because I consider you one of the more "experienced" FC members, glancing at your post count.
imo its not the quantity but the quality of max's post that show his experience.

los,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Sorry i haven't done a full review everyone. Got my Epic a couple days before things got crazy for me at work, last 3 weeks have been rough, but the last 6 days in a row i have gone into work at 5:00am and stayed anywhere from 12 to 15 hrs. Basically my brain is scrambled, but the worst of things will be over by Saturday night, and i have something like 6 weeks of vacation and will burn some in July and August. Sorry to ramble about personal, how about I ramble about why I like the EpicVape.

First, it looks rad as hell. I like wood vapes, and have rubbed some bee's oil into this one (not PD buzzbutter). It looks pretty awesome, did i mention i like wood vapes? Also, now a good time to mention, this vape will not replace my PD by any means, a completely different beast. It's safe to say, the Epic can be a big ripper, and will have tou more stoned, if thats the goal.

Had a few smoking friends use this vape, they both liked it. Bottom line? It is easy as hell to use, you turn it on, and wait for it to heat. Boost gets you there quickly, then dial her down. Pack and blaze. You'll be blowing fat vapor cloud with a quickness. No temp guessing., no trying to find a new hitting technique. You will simply have thick vapor, with a higher then average vapor to air ratio. Smoker who has never used a vaporizer before? i'd say this thing is close to idiot proof, and has almost no learning curve. Plug it in and thick vapor awaits. Gets you ripped quick.

Taste is pretty damn good, and can be used with the transfer wand of the LSV, i simply did not use the provided domb screen, and tilted back to prevent particles from falling into the heating element.

Ah the bowl, pretty damn good design. As i said before, not nearly as refined as the VXC, but a similar concept. One of the better bowl of desktop vapes, although a simply kind-of screen rigged design. The dome cap is nice, and other companies beside VX and the Epic will be using similar systems soon. You do have to use the pick, but as long as i dont loose it, its no different then me keeping a stirring tool close, in fact it works as one. dont mind using it, but afraid i might loose it.

Pitfalls? If you want a variable temp vape, then get one. You can get cooler vapor by sucking harder and faster, but this vape is still a smidgen above my ideal temp. That said, when on for less then an hour, the temp is still pretty damn great for nighttime or me getting just ripped quick. I wont use this vape in the morning before i go to work tomorrow at 5am tomorrow. But i might use it after a long work day while watching a movie or something before bed. Im kindof surprised i cant think of more pitfalls. i told Andy i thought something beside a hole where the cord popped out would look more finished but doesn't effect the unit. Final units should come with replacement screens, and maybe two stir tools? Or an offer to add one extra for FC members or something.

Sorry if any of the above makes no sense, im insane tired. Not going back to edit, ask questions if you have any.

*edit. Never once shot a youtube video but if you guys give me a bit, ill see what i can do.

IAmKrazy2,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

559stonerr

Here's my review for epic beta unit, first review on a vaporizer

efficiency: 8.7

I was not expecting much efficiency wise when receiving the vape, but man was i wrong! this vaporizer definitely conserves your bud. obviously not as efficient as the magic flight, but ever since ive gotten the epic the magic flight has rarely been used(it was my daily driver LOL). I like the fact that i get efficiency along with clouds of vapor. I believe i got 13 hits or so out .05 (using normal and then Boost)

Durability: 10

I cant tell you how many times i have dropped this vaporizer... still working perfectly. The first few drops i would panic, hoping the glass part inside wouldn't break or anything but after a few falls i figured out that its going to take a lot to break this vaporizer. The durability is a very important aspect to the vaporizer for me because i seem to drop everything and you could even call me a klutz :rolleyes:

Cloud size: 9.5

If you prefer not to see visible clouds, then this vaporizer is most likely not for you.. I get bong sized rips of vapor out of this vaporizer, first few bowls i was blown away that the clouds are SO big :brow: To this day i am still blown away to be honest(still a vapor noob thehe).Even if i hold the hit in for 30 seconds+, i still manage to get a nice cloud. fellow friends that have never used a vaporizer and then use mine are able to get clouds with no learning curve, i just tell them keep sucking in until you can't anymore.

Taste: 9

The taste out of the epic is unbelievable. Blows the MF out of the water,easily. I would even say the taste is better with the epic than the volcano(only 3 vaporizers ive used). The first 4 hits is where you really get a taste of your herb, the danker the better :D The taste aspect of this vaporizer is quite a pleasant surprise.

Overall: 9.5

This vaporizer is truly amazing, i still can't believe that i managed to get this great vaporizer for the price i did, knowing what i know about this vaporizer, i would easily pay up to $200. Andy created something really special here, i cant wait till i get my hands on the final version and comment back on the changes that andy made. If your looking for HUGE clouds but you also want efficiency, then you need to get this vaporizer, for the price its definitely a bang for your buck.

Additional: when i was getting vaked off my MFLB the buzz would only last an hour or so and wouldn't be even that strong of a buzz, but with the epic im getting VAKED for at least 2 hours and the buzz is definitely a mind fuck. i love it :cool: Ive had this vaporizer probably since late may and i would say atleast 20+ people have tried my vaporizer, every single person loved it, manage to get good clouds, relished the taste and didn't have one bad thing to say about the vaporizer. If your on the edge about this vaporizer, take the leap... i guarantee you will NOT regret the purchase. I'm Taking an educated guess here but i would say ive gone through atleast 200+ bowls through the epic and with the efficiency i would say its already paid for itself.. If your frustrated with andy's lack of speedy response through email, be patient, he will get back to you and if he doesn't just simply email him again. Andy has been very helpful through the beta process and would like to give much thanks to him for giving me the opportunity to be able to beta test this vaporizer.

P.s. i will update this review once i get a little bit more time and add a few more sections.

559stonerr,
Top Bottom