Ed's TnT Wooden Vapor Tubes & Vapor Stems

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Boy, back in my combusting days, I could have seen that cigarette case filled with my special blend, hand rolled "ciggies." :brow:

Beautiful grain on those dugouts Ed.

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks for all the comments, you know I appreciate them.

Alright, this is the first wooden vapor tube I have made for the Solo. Its almost exactly to spec of the standard glass in most ways, the inner draw hole is only a 1/4" but does provide adequate air flow. Its a Costa Rican Bocote wood tube with SS on the other end and a SS mesh screen installed within it. I do not have an Arizer Solo so a couple will head out for beta first thing Monday. I had fun making these and hope they work out so I continue to make more. Pls let me know what you think, I would like all input.

2012-03-21_16-10-30_3.jpg

2012-03-21_16-11-04_392.jpg

2012-03-21_16-10-20_989.jpg

u bwade wunner

the mexican cocobolo has me weak seriously.Best of luck with the solo stems and thanks to everyone for the good wood pics

u bwade wunner,
Wow Ed, that solo stem is awesome. I still have my MZ bocote stem i bought from you like a year and a half ago and it still works flawlessly. You got the best stems around imo

VaporBoxed,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
this is the first wooden vapor tube I have made for the Solo.

I am interested - I sent you an email. PlanetVape is making some cool progress with the Solo stems - there is still a lot that can be done with them. For instance they can be modified a bit to actually make the Solo work BETTER than with the factory stems. Also, I would like to try with one that can hold almost 2X the vaporizable, since reloading can be a pain in some situations.

Really good work! I am excited - me and some Andrew Jacksons are waiting for your Solo stems :)

sessnet,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thanks for the interest and kind words! The bowl is slightly deeper and not quite as large ID, been thinking I will bore out the inner size of it to make it larger to ensure the airflow from the unit. Really wish I had one in hand, would be certain then. The wood tube can be removed from the SS easily for cleaning. It has a slight mod here or there coming but more or less is what it is. Thanks again you all and pls continue the input!

Ed's TnT,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Wow, really getting alota emails bout these Solo Tubes, thanks so much for you alls enthusiasm! They are not available for sale just yet. Hogleg was kind enough to get an Arizer out to me for me to eye ball and make 100% sure the right dimensions and also performance. Ok so here are some specs. With the glass I am working with the OD is 14.55mm the SS is 14.23mm OD, glass bowl is 11.65mm ID and 10mm depth, SS bowl is 9.52mm ID which has a wide taper for a slightly wider opening which should not hinder the air flow from the unit 15mm bowl depth, glass over all length is 4 1/2" and the wood is 4 3/16". The draw hole through the entire wood is 1/4" and the glass is rather large just at almost 1/2". Mine has the SS screen mesh which allows for plenty of airflow, not 4 small holes. In my hand the two are damn near identical in size, I really feel like these are gonna work as is, may not need any mods of any sort. I have tot take the kids to school this morning and am eager to spin another when I get back. Wanna make a badass cocobolo tube! The wood themselves should be able to be removed so the SS can be cleaned and soaked. Pricing will be comparable to the Zap tubes I also make. Wanna wait to get the unit before putting a price on em and making them available for sale. I am really excited about making a new product and these do seem to be popular already. Thanks again for the interest!

Ed's TnT,
Reactions: Vitolo

Ville23

Very cool Ed...Can't wait to try it out with my great new Solo!
When will these be available?!

Ville23,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Should have the Solo in today or tomorrow to make sure everything is just right. I think I may be right on or damn near close with my design so hope to have something available as early as a couple weeks. Pls hang in there with me and I will let you all know first for sure! Thanks for your interest Ville and I wish you a great day!

Ed's TnT,
Reactions: sessnet

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Ok so I got the Solo in yesterday and was anxious to try the wooden tube in it! The SS is the closest I can get to the OD of the glass which is just a MM or so under the size of the glass, didn't think it would make that much of a difference but it does. I have a small gap between the tube and the inner wall of the unit, seems air is getting in. Am going to get a high temp Oring this morning to go around the SS so when pushed in it will seal the gap and should work just right. I tried the glass tube a few times to see it preformed and was super vaked by the end of R&D not to mention a little disappointed. Hey but that's OK Rome wasn't built in a day right. Am posting a few pics below for you all to see and hopefully by the end of the day I will have what I need to make this baby perform better. Seems this unit has an Oring within it to grip the glass tube and does the SS also. Is that something that is standard in all Solo's or is it a add on? Nice idea though.

2012-03-27_18-16-52_266.jpg

2012-03-27_18-17-10_20.jpg

2012-03-27_18-17-34_296.jpg

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Close but no cigar, huh Ed? Well, looks like you are almost there...

And that is some beautiful wood that you used for that stem Ed! :D

momofthegoons,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thank you Mom, just got some beautiful Cocobolo in yesterday! Dark black streaks, rich red and yellow grain wow this stuff is beautiful! Cant wait to make some stuff out of it! Gonna be out in the shop this week ripping up wood, had a customer send me bout a $1000 worth of the finest Aussie burls I have ever seen, this shit is museum grade blocks, will be making some of the spectacular dugouts I have ever seen! Even have another customer that is sending me some cocoboolo that was recovered from a pirate ship that sunk 390 years ago! I just ordered some Irish Bog Oak that is said to be 1000-3000 years old, been sitting in a swamp there absorbing minerals and has turned black as night, hows that for a story huh? Hope all is well!

Ed's TnT,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Not sure Sessnet, am away from the shop today will have a look later though.

Ed's TnT,

hogleg

its an m105 and there is an extra ring but I put it in. I think it just needs a smaller I.D. oring.

hogleg,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Good news, had some success with the Oring, got a few solid hits with the Solo tube. The Oring filled the slight gap between the tube and the inner core. The thickness of the wall is large and does slow the heat transfer. Once it sat in the unit for a couple minutes it began to hit like a champ. Been searching for SS tubing with a thinner wall all over with out a whole lot of luck. I have some really high temp silicone Orings on the way and will be here first of the week so will be sending out the betas then. I look forward to hearing back from em.

Ed's TnT,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I use this---> TUBE from US Plastics as a less flexible and supple safe replacement for SSV tube.
Check wall diameters available and go from there.
This is like the tubing used by 7th Floor... except... in order to get tubing of this caliber that was made supple... 7th floor LLC had to order enough tubing to circle the earth 9 times. True story!
I hope this helps some.

Vitolo,

hogleg

When the glass stem is packed tight it takes a while to warm up as well. Im guessing the second bowl through the wood stem will be thicker clouds

hogleg,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I use this---> TUBE from US Plastics as a less flexible and supple safe replacement for SSV tube.
Check wall diameters available and go from there.
This is like the tubing used by 7th Floor... except... in order to get tubing of this caliber that was made supple... 7th floor LLC had to order enough tubing to circle the earth 9 times. True story!
I hope this helps some.

Not sure I follow you Vito, are you saying to use the tubing to push down in the solo?

Glad to hear your thoughts Hogleg! Will get you out a tube this next week for the Solo also. I am assuming you have another or do I need to send the one I have back to ya? Hoping to hang on to it for a little while longer to try new tubing and such when I find some.

Ed's TnT,
Top Bottom