Ed's TnT Wooden Vapor Tubes & Vapor Stems

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Ed,I have no idea what type of wood you sent me but I am wondering if there are real taste differences between different woods...

m0sh,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I'm going to end up with a pile of your stems Ed... that new African wood sounds nice
Nothing wrong with that.
I have a collection of stems for each vape that "Ed's TNT" provides for.
Bring on the wood!!!

Ed,I have no idea what type of wood you sent me but I am wondering if there are real taste differences between different woods...
There is a subtle special essence to each... yes!~

DSC00866.jpg

DSC00428.jpg

And... it looks like the Solo is next!

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer

Hm, I have really no idea either to be honest I have sent so many. What doe sit look like? Is it a light brown with dark streaks, just light brown, or it is dark brown with distinct grain patterns? Could be cocobolo or granadillo. Is it dark black? Could be BogOak but dont think so. As far as taste the coco and granadillo are a really dense species and will crisp the vapor IMO, taste should not really change, if it does the difference will be subtle and eloquent. If its BogOak you may have slightly different taste. Hmm this is a good question to ask other users.

Anyone want to describe the taste of their species of Solo stems? Sure would like to hear you alls input. How bout you Vito? You describe it very well, lets hear it!

Seems like you beat me to it Vito, thanks for your input. How bout the Solo though how do you describe its performance and flavor. Still love that Amboyna you have posted for the Zap.

Ed's TnT,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Well, Ed...
Mine is Cocobolo,.... slick and like glass against the lips.... but not lifeless like glass...warm ... so that you can tell it was brought forth from life itself.
Cocobolo has always been one of the crisper woods in my mind, as far as subtle essence or flavor.
This is no different in the Solo Cocobolo.
I describe the essence I get with Cocobolo as "High and Tight". (old term to describe a military haircut)
The essence is "high"... meaning clear and sharp, a natural sharp wood essence, and "Tight" meaning that it is crisp.. there is no aftertaste that you will find... even if you are gifted with a delicate palate.
Since Cocobolo is my only Solo stem I describe it.. but the cocobolo's from my other vapes share this "crispness".
For the books... crisp in my mind goes also with the Blackwood from other stems I have for the Zap...
Walnut and cherywood are "nutty"
maple and bloodwood is "woodsy"
But even given these small terms that I use...... there is a difference among those called "nutty" and those called "woodsy"
MORE....
The wooden Solo stems will allow a bit more "essence" to touch your soul, but essence is a many faceted concept.
There is the way the color and look and feel of the Solo stem makes you feel about yourself.
Right stem for right day... for right mood... makes a patient feel damn good about themsrelves, and about life in general.
Sorry for going off on a tangent...
My answer is:
I describe the essence I get with Cocobolo as "High and Tight"

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Well, Ed...
Mine is Cocobolo,.... slick and like glass against the lips.... but not lifeless like glass...warm ... so that you can tell it was brought forth from life itself.
Cocobolo has always been one of the crisper woods in my mind, as far as subtle essence or flavor.
This is no different in the Solo Cocobolo.
I describe the essence I get with Cocobolo as "High and Tight". (old term to describe a military haircut)
The essence is "high"... meaning clear and sharp, a natural sharp wood essence, and "Tight" meaning that it is crisp.. there is no aftertaste that you will find... even if you are gifted with a delicate palate.
Since Cocobolo is my only Solo stem I describe it.. but the cocobolo's from my other vapes share this "crispness".
For the books... crisp in my mind goes also with the Blackwood from other stems I have for the Zap...
Walnut and cherywood are "nutty"
maple and bloodwood is "woodsy"
But even given these small terms that I use...... there is a difference among those called "nutty" and those called "woodsy"
MORE....
The wooden Solo stems will allow a bit more "essence" to touch your soul, but essence is a many faceted concept.
There is the way the color and look and feel of the Solo stem makes you feel about yourself.
Right stem for right day... for right mood... makes a patient feel damn good about themsrelves, and about life in general.
Sorry for going off on a tangent...
My answer is:
I describe the essence I get with Cocobolo as "High and Tight"

Thats what I am talking about, I knew you would hit the nail on the head, no tangent at all! Very well put my friend, very well put!

Vitolo

Vaporist
I understood that.
I personally would avoid putting a cotton ball with topical chemicals in a wooden stem.
I use alcohol made for internal consumption... and VERY low %
I use standard rum.
I dip a qtip in it, and squeeze it almost dry.
I stroke inner walls lightly with it.... and then air dry immediately using suction (vacuum cleaner).
One could then vaporize those cotton balls after they were dry
*Good to note here,... this SD-40 is used in some products like the Mennen "Afta"
This was done to deter people from abusing other alcohols by drinking. Most prisons and jails allow "Afta" to be sold to inmates for this reason... SD 40 although non toxic, is VERY bitter and the taste is meant to linger for a very long time.

Vitolo,
Reactions: Vicki

m0sh

I understood that.
I personally would avoid putting a cotton ball with topical chemicals in a wooden stem.
I use alcohol made for internal consumption... and VERY low %
I use standard rum.
I dip a qtip in it, and squeeze it almost dry.
I stroke inner walls lightly with it.... and then air dry immediately using suction (vacuum cleaner).
One could then vaporize those cotton balls after they were dry
*Good to note here,... this SD-40 is used in some products like the Mennen "Afta"
This was done to deter people from abusing other alcohols by drinking. Most prisons and jails allow "Afta" to be sold to inmates for this reason... SD 40 although non toxic, is VERY bitter and the taste is meant to linger for a very long time.

So how would you reclaim ?

but if I extract with SD-40 generally speaking, I would be able to vape/smoke/bake the reclaim?

m0sh,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Just got my Bog Oak stem! It looks great with my silver Solo, interesting texture in the grain too. I'm charging my Solo right now, so I will test it out soon. Beautiful Ed!!

jambandphan03,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I do not bother trying to "reclaim' from wood.
If you felt the need, you could wait and gently scrape... or vape the oils directly off of the cotton... Most vapes can vape an oil soaked cotton ball.
I won't speak for the "general" condition of evaporated SD 40. I do not know the total residuals that could be left behind..... nor do I use 70% Iso, for reasons of slow evap. I only have successful experience with Everclear for internal consumption, and 91% Iso.... which can be fully evaporated in a fairly short time.
I no longervape residues made with Everclear.. as sugars are left behind, and a funny taste ensues.
The SD40 being made from grain would pose the same situation.
I vape evaporated residues reclaimed with 91% Iso.

Vitolo,

m0sh

^^^ I see, well this is probably the only downside of this awesome stem...I love the reclaim /:

m0sh,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Hey Ed, will it hurt anything to have a bit of coconut oil on the stem? I was putting some on my hands, and touched the stem, and noticed it gave it a nice gloss/shine, and since it was already on there, I rubbed it in all over the stem. Sure looks nice, but I wanted to ask about it before I keep repeating it.

jambandphan03,

m0sh

Hey Ed, will it hurt anything to have a bit of coconut oil on the stem? I was putting some on my hands, and touched the stem, and noticed it gave it a nice gloss/shine, and since it was already on there, I rubbed it in all over the stem. Sure looks nice, but I wanted to ask about it before I keep repeating it.

Coconut won't do no harm...;)

m0sh,

m0sh

I love the reclaim also... and do it as I can.. I just can not do it the same when using wood!

Well since I'm owning only 2 vaporizers and the solo is my main go-to-guy now...it sucks :( the solution would be to be able to warm the wood very much but it might also be dangerous?

m0sh,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Warming the wood opens the pores. This will allow the oils to enter the wood, and be less reclaimable....
Look... I do not want to "rain on your parade".
If you love reclaim.. do it for sure!
You could use a bamboo stick with a scoop on the end to harvest your "reclaim" by hand... solvent-less.
Unknown-3.png

Vitolo,

m0sh

For glass I used a straw... but this seems much more suitable to wood...cheers!

Still yeah wood and oil don't go too well together.

m0sh,

Vitolo

Vaporist
My collection of Ed's accessories are the detail, that pushed many, many friends over the edge into Vaping.
When they see it is not all about modern materials... and that wood can go together with various vapes..... they "are in".
So... while wood and solvents dont mix that well... wood and oil is a natural.. and wood and vapor... is Mother Nature's gift~

m0sh

^^ So good new mate, I dipped a qtip in a little bit of my 95% and I gathered the resin, then I quickly washed the wood stem to get rid of the alcohol.
Before all of that I removed the SS chamber-Ed I like it like that,its actually makes it easier to clean and change screens...I pulled my screen out before it was so dirty the airflow as restricted ... I wish I could get a 10-20 pack of screens...is it possible ed?

Anyway,I left my qtip out for last evening until now and it was sticky and I removed the cotton and pulled the solo and had a 1.5 sessions at 7...and it was tasty and I'm having a really banging high...I image if I smoked I'd be on the floor now ;)

m0sh,
Reactions: Vitolo

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
I wish I could get a 10-20 pack of screens...is it possible ed?

Sure its possible, just send me an email and lets talk about it!

Thanks for posting all the tips Vito, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Ok so someone sent me a pic of these a while back to see about a cool box for your vapor stems, I saw them and got a few, pls have a look and let me know what you think.

2012-06-21_19-36-26_889.jpg

2012-06-21_19-35-21_81.jpg

You could have the stem and quite a bit of stash in this box!

2012-06-21_19-34-43_212.jpg

I really like this one!
2012-06-21_19-34-11_854.jpg

Got that hemp fiber in Ubwade and have been using it on the latest pieces. Also have some high temp PTFE tape on the way, will handle up to 500degrees and think that will work well instead of the fiber as a shim and will still add the weld to the shaft. Its coming together slowly!

Top Bottom