E-Cigarette (not for THC use)

thedeserttortoise

VWFringe said:
EDIT: someone on ECF said they couldn't see the pictures, so I change where they're hosted.

I did it wrong, but it works...is there any problem having the positive connector grounded to the outside lead thru my homemade swivel? I mean, should i use the negative side next time?

I put in the rivet first, only thinking to share the metal for stress relief, and then with the idea of saving a wire or two by grounding through the assembly around the battery connector

i used a dremel to clear the channels between the battery plates inside the box so i could switch them around since I reversed the battery stack
link to pictures albumhttp://i.imgur.com/Qzg3R.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FnuCK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/a37po.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m1tet.jpg
FM antenna wires are both soldered to the center connector, then potted in place with JB Weld
copper conductors were thin, so i thought i'd better double them
i thought the wire would be pretty, and actually makes me wonder if a bottom feed tube would fit in here (an earlier attempt with 18 gauge automotive wire wasn't flexible enough to swivel freely).
http://i.imgur.com/e9DPF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/U3DCR.jpg
i thought the felt washers would act as a clutch, allowing me to use rivets instead of bolts that might need to be tightened, but i failed to make the bracket wide enough to accomodate two metal washers around it... i like the way it looks

http://i.imgur.com/ayJvj.jpg
i dont know why i thought a tactile switch rated for 2 amps would be cool, in use its clicky and hard to reach

http://i.imgur.com/gyqeU.jpg

micro-switch modified by opening with my pocket knife and removing the NC connector post, for additional clearance inside the box, and to remove the roller-lever that normally depresses the button

http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2110710w345.jpg

parts used:
4*AA battery box from radio shack, with two small holes drilled and the plates changed around inside
2 wires from FM antenna (main switch to center connection of 510 bat con)
swivel made from:
1/2" e-cig battery tube, drilled through at one end
1/4" x 1 1/4" sheet metal cut with tin snips from computer card cover, bent to fit tubing plus clutch, drilled accross and down thru bottom
2 washers
2 felt washers from unused ceiling fan parts
2 pop rivets, one to hold the swivel to the battery connector plate, through the plastic of the box, and one to allow the tube to swivel up and down

but this is still a brick of batteries...we just happen to be a rechargeable AA household

I didn't plan this out, but rather, started tinkering and re-designing from my first box ad hoc, borrowing ideas, like the want or need for a switch that fits inside (but should really be located on the front) and the ability to fold-up or store for travel, instead of having an atty sticking out all the time

i really like the atty battery combo i've stumbled upon, Joye 510 (2.3 ohm) with 5.2 volts (I'd originally chosen the atty to work with only three AA's, so just the tip would stick out of the fourth slot, but the vaping experience changed the plan to use all four batteries, though i still pop in a jumper made out of a paper clip sometimes. I even tried 2 ohm attys with three batteries, which theoretically should have been respectable vapor, but it paled in comparison to using all four batteries.

I avoid burning out the attys by taking short (more cigarette-like) hits, but they get pretty hot during a session, and I have to be aware of it to let them cool down.

I might be scary if I ever actually planned something out.

Hey VW. I like it. I'm really impatient at things like this but I love your ingenuity. And I like the looks of it. It sounds like you hit the sweet spot too. I just started e cigs about two weeks ago and bought a Reo right off. I wanted some more voltage and bought a Buzz off the ECF classifieds two days ago. I just wanted to play the voltage game without stacking batt's in the Reo. Anyway, I just read this thread for the first time and wanted to express my admiration for your design. It looks great and you hit the right voltage it sounds like. I wish I had the talent to just build stuff when I need to. Keep it up.. and I'm just going to steal your results in a way and try a 2.3 at 5.2 volts... sounds like you hit a very good sweet spot. Take care bud, Tortoise

thedeserttortoise,

OC513

Dabaholic
well after a brief delay my Darwin arrived today. This thing is vaping Nirvana......every single hit EXACTLY the same. Can dial it up or down depending on what I am looking for. So far I am totally amazed by it. Makes my KR 808 cartos hit like a dream at 10 watts......its a beautiful thing.

OC513,

DaProfessor

Just chiming in. I may start using a PV as an electronic hookah replacement. I have a usb pass through, cartomizers, atomizers and some juice on the way. If I like the taste of the smoke, I'm planning to pick up a GLV2 and VapeMate.

Edit:
I received all the parts a couple days ago. Gone through a few flavors and vaping methods to evaluate flavor retention and quality. Ejuice can be tasty stuff at the right wattage. I seem to like lower power vaping, 6-8w. Based on this, I ordered a GLV2 Mini. I've done all the research, and I like the look of the GLV line. There are better bang per buck mods, but I'm getting what I like. I also ordered some smartcarts (510 tank system). I'll see if I like em, hopefully it works well.

Can't wait for my GLV2 Mini!!! :D

DaProfessor,

DaProfessor

Haha, so yeah...I completely geeked out with these things. I don't even have a nic addiction :lol:

It's only been 7 days since I posted last and my current PV collection is done...for now. A GLV2 and a Pro-vari, along with a Vapemate. I just had to go for some of the priciest mods out, it's the techie in me. What next? Maybe DIY liquid?

DaProfessor,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
ROFL!!! If you already have a ProVari there is not much room to go up Prof...unless you buy the Darwin.

If you are a non nicotine person you should absolutely try some DIY ejuice. Stuff is really cheap to make DIY especially if you don't need the most expensive ingredient...nicotine.

I have used a gazillion juices/flavorings over my nearly 2 years vaping. I have settled into using mostly all natural flavorings. I like LorAnn's NATURAL banana, it is my weakness. Also Fairies Finest makes some nice all natural flavorings (also some artificial ones as well lol).

You can get VG at most health food stores or pharmacies. Can get PG locally at Tractor Supply places or feed stores or order online from Essential Wholesale.

Lo,

DaProfessor

Thanks for the leads Lo! I've been making my own hookah shisha for awhile, the process for making juices seems similar. I'll be doing some reading up on it. I already have a nice selection of lorann flavors, should be fun to experiment. Truthfully, vaping is much more flavorful than hookah smoking. It is also much cleaner, convenient and portable. I'm enjoying it very much I'm pretty much done with hookahs now. Now I need to convince my buddies so we can have vape sessions rather than hookah sessions :)

My take on the Darwin - it's like an iPod. The aesthetics are awesome, much better than a provari. However, I don't like the non-removable battery. The integrated battery probably allowed the device to be feasible, but I would like the ability to service the battery on my own in the future. Couldn't find enough info about the internal specs to be comfortable picking one up. The vape I am looking forward to is the GLV3, even though it will probably be more than 6 months till it's out.

DaProfessor,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Ordered a Vapor King Ultimate Ultimatum pack from Vape4Life a few days ago... I am like a child waiting for Xmas...
A healthy Xmas with no more analogs!!! :o :o Common' USPS... I'm gonna burn too much analogs with this waiting stress! :D

FLskwat,

DaProfessor

^No experience kicking a nic habit, but getting new toys is always fun. It'll be worth the wait. I'm waiting for my provari to arrive and it's killing me!

DaProfessor,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
made another two mod boxes, modified black button switch shaved with dremel to make wiring much simpler and quicker (still ugly)...three are going to my sister's family with a label "harm reduction in a box"

di-R0PZ.jpg

di-1QMO.jpg

di-HRJG.jpg

battery box $2.00
switch $2.99
battery con $3.00
batteries we had already, but have gone up to $15 for four rechargeables.

I later painted all the exposed metal and JB Weld with black nail polish. was able to use 18 ga wire, potted into place with JB Weld for strain relief of the solder connections.

VWFringe,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
VWFringe said:
three are going to my sister's family with a label "harm reduction in a box"

Congrats VW... I LOVE your sticker idea and glad you're sending to sister's family. Fingers crossed they get a lot of use.

@Prof. I see your point about the Darwin and totally agree but I'm really liking the darwin. The devices operate very similarly so really once you get the ProVari you'll have one of the most versatile vapes out there. Then you can try a bunch of different atomizers/cartomizers/voltages/etc. Good stuff.

Lo,

the ob

all good in the hood.
DaProfessor said:
Haha, so yeah...I completely geeked out with these things. I don't even have a nic addiction :lol:

It's only been 7 days since I posted last and my current PV collection is done...for now. A GLV2 and a Pro-vari, along with a Vapemate. I just had to go for some of the priciest mods out, it's the techie in me. What next? Maybe DIY liquid?

I did the same thing. I quit analogs about 2 years ago, but still yearn for something to do when I drink. I found this and just like you, was taken with the toys that I could buy. I am just patiently waiting for my Ali'i to arrive which should be very soon.

the ob,

sublimationpurist

formerly stephenking
I used to use a Joye eGo from Totally Wicked, who calls it the "Tornado." I have since upgraded to the Joye eGo-T tank system. This uses the same batteries but features tanks which are basically huge cartridges which feed liquid directly into the atomizer without the use of any foam of sponge material in the cartridge, which I hated in cartridges. That material would get frayed and stick to the atomizer and burn. Plus you have to constantly top those cartridges up to maintain a decent taste, which is nowhere near as tasty as the tank system. The tank system tastes great consistently, and holds around 1.1ml of liquid. It uses "mega" (larger) atomizers and the cones which cover the atomizer are now part of the atomizers themselves.

Totally Wicked has great tasting e-liquid, but their ecig parts are just marked up Joye products with their logo stamped on them. You can just Google Joye ego-T and find the same parts for cheaper. Highly recommended!

sublimationpurist,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Help me...

I've been through a good chunk of the thread and some youtube reviews, but I'm still utterly lost in the sea of e-cig jargon. Though I've seen enough to know that I want one, because I do smoke human cigarettes and would much rather live in the future and smoke electricity (hah).

Could someone recommend a good starter pack? I'm willing to spend around $100 for everything, though i'm pretty confused with all of the atomizers and drips and all.

Did anyone get around to trying green dragon? I could get a batch going tomorrow, and I'm absolutely tempted to do so. How about BHO?

A medical dispensary in los angeles called suite 215 has produced 2 cannabis specific products, one based off of a standard e-cig, another custom milled from aluminium. They use specialty cartridges based on plant matter... I may buy the e-cig one just to break it open and figure out how to work it on the cheap. (LOLS: Further investigation reveals the $220 Ime-O to be a modified GGT, which is $80 and looks pretty cool.)
http://www.cloudsofvapor.com/

EDIT: I don't really care if it's tiny like a cigarette... Ideally something I could use while driving would be cool. But the actual vapor experience is most important. I'd legitimately like to quit cigs, and not be put off by small, inane things, like dripping or pooling. I'm already looking at cartridge models without wicks or foam for the above mentioned reason. So if someone could recommend something that I can just use that hits nicely (with the right juice) i'd be greatly appreciative. If anyone knows a good brick and mortar retailer in L.A. where i could look at things, I'd be doubly appreciative.

Orestes,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
Orestes said:
Help me...

(below advice for e-cig e-juice, not hash oil)

bat style e-cigs are hands down better than the ones that are about the same size as a cigarette, because they have a higher capacity battery (but still operate at 3.7 volts). Coupled with a low resistance atomizer it should produce good vapor, however, in my own experience it does not give me the throat hit I get from a high voltage "mod box"

ECF has threads that recommend between the bat style kits available, and their suppliers sell different mods. expect to pay about $50 plus e-liquid.

with higher voltage, if you go that route, I recommend dripping instead of carts.

ECF thread for new people's needs: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cussion/141096-advice-what-buy-newcomers.html

ECF thread about a newer KR808 (instead of 510 or 306 atomizers) bat:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-easy-xxl-1300-ultimate-kr808d-1-fat-bat.html

ELEGANT2-2.jpg

VWFringe,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Erostes:

Just buy an Ego-T starter kit and be done with it, it really is the best you can get within your budget.

They come under different names, like Ovale Ego-T, Tornado-T, Riva also has one I think, but they are basically the same. Just makes sure it's the one with the tank (this is what the 'T' stands for) and not the older model.

I'm asumming Bacardi 151 contains sugar, which will probably mean that that recipe is no good with current e-sig atty's. Just drink the tincture man, no need for any tech stuff with that.

OhTheAgony,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
Broke down and got an ego-t setup. I really do like the tank system, though the rig in general is somewhat lacking. Gonna buy a Chuck and some 501 tank cartridges, though the cartridges are completely sold out on the internet at the moment. Anyone want to buy an ego-t? Hah.

Sadly, grain alcohol is unavailable in california, so 151 is the highest proof I could manage... I've not given up yet.

I'm thinking about trying various proportions of kief, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and perhaps some alcohol, just to get the everything solvent. May have to track down someone who knows organic chemistry to take some guesswork out of it.

Orestes,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
No, I have been able to get everclear, but I think it was like in the 88% range.

I just recently got the Joye 510(or at least it looks like it) for a local store for $40 bucks and I want to know what is the best/most effective type of liquid(i.e. VG, PG, grain, or ISO) I can use to make the liquid for this? Should I be upgrading to the 306(or something more powerful) atomizer for this method?

BTW I plan to use about a 1/2-1lbs of trim. Thanks

lesvape,

Orestes

Magus Septimus
What store? I hit up the vapor spot in culver city which was a bit pricey. But everywhere else I've looked just has crap.

You probably shouldn't use all your trim in one go. PG might be a better bet, because it's thinner. You'll need a solvent... Trim is probably the hardest thing to use, because you really want your end result to be extremely potent, as you'll be using like 1 milligram per day.

Orestes,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So I received my Vapor King from V4L...and haven't smoked an analog since 3days!
Thx for the advice on this brand, here & on ECF!

FLskwat,

DaProfessor

@VWfringe: Nice box mods. I think it's very convenient to have a vape powered by more conventional batt types. I want to make some mods when I have more time.

@ob: Get pics of that Ali'i when you get it. Wanna hear what you have to say about it.

I just got some DIY flavors and supplies in the mail :D Gotta get a family pic of my PVs and diy stuff. Glad to hear everyone totally saying 'fuck you' to combustion all the way around!

DaProfessor,

lesvape

Queer in a high haze
I just moved to the eGo-T from the joye 510 and what a difference. Plus I am hoping my atty wont crap out as fast.

lesvape,

DaProfessor

lesvape said:
I just moved to the eGo-T from the joye 510 and what a difference. Plus I am hoping my atty wont crap out as fast.

Do you need to stick with attys? I hear good things about cartomizers and related e2 carto/clearomizers. I've killed 2 attys in my short time I've been doing this, but none of my cartos have died. Taste does suffer a little in regular cartos. Haven't tried an e2 yet. I've fallen in love with dripping though. Flavor is super clean and strong.

DaProfessor,
Top Bottom