Do we need more forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vtac said:
and ties in to one thing I would like to see more of: vendor/manufacturer participation.
Most manufacturers will never post here, many dislike the open nature of forums.

Tom and the PD are rare exceptions. :)
and the i-inhale guy...but he got out moneyz and ran :lol: i kid but where he at :rolleyes:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
and the i-inhale guy...but he got out moneyz and ran :lol: i kid but where he at :rolleyes:
Busy I'm sure. No need to roll your eyes at him. To be honest, looking at the I-inhale thread and the negative responses there I can't say I blame him for not sticking around too long. :\

What does 'got out moneyz' mean?

vtac,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vtac said:
Busy I'm sure. No need to roll your eyes at him. To be honest, looking at the I-inhale thread and the negative responses there I can't say I blame him for not sticking around too long. :\
wouldnt that only warrant him to stay here longer telling all of us whats up....shady shady shady

i-inhales look to be holding up tho

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Back on topic...

So clearly there are a lot of differing opinions. That's kind of the danger of opening these dialogues... can't please everyone, and someone is bound to get offended.

"Do we need more forums"? I didn't really think so to begin with, and the general consensus would seem to agree.

The newbie section sounds like it could work... maybe not. Should we give it a trial period?

vtac,

Beezleb

Maybe some good Newbie basic vaporization stickies on some leading topics maybe. Like say an AVB thread and/or maybe standard or ground glass thread and the like. I think that would help cut out alot of the same type of questions too.

Beezleb,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
a separation of "basic vaporization discussion" and "advanced vaporization discussion" would do the trick maybe?

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Vtac(tfully put) - So clearly there are a lot of differing opinions. That's kind of the danger of opening these dialogues
IMO, differing opinions are not really dangerous unless they are attached to expectations :brow: .

With that said, I will try to safely contribute some of my own.

1) Maybe add a section called "ask the vaporists" if people often derail forums with ?'s (which to choose, etc.)

*quick note: I am a noob to this forum, but definitely would not refer to myself as a noob overall and would most likely feel somewhat offended if I were to be treated as such due to my recent FC membership date (I do still like the line of thinking discussed above).

2) Maybe add descriptions for sections (ex. this section is a place for serious discussions...) possibly with boundaries (please only post here if you have something 'valuable' and related to the original post that has not already been stated...). Others could be 'this section is a place you can ask experienced vaporists questions you may have...', 'this section is the place to chat about everything vapor--relax pack a fresh bowl and...', etc.

3) This last one is probably not possible (or easy), but I would love if the initiator of a thread had the ability to mod their own thread (bump unrelated posts to new threads in appropriate sections, etc.) This would allow popular threads (for whatever reason--entertaining, informative, etc.) to grow in an organized way, yet would provide all with an opportunity to post their :2c: (whatever it is). The most recent contributions in each section could still show at the top to keep popular threads accessible. You (Vtac) would only have to monitor when threads were started in the wrong section or if the behavior of a member were becoming destructive to the site (I am sure that those types of responsibilities will continue to grow as vaporizing becomes more and more popular the site continues to grow--chicken or the egg...don't be modest, Vtac, you're helping all of us spread the gospel :cool: ).

A final thought to all:
How many times have you looked for something you knew was somewhere on FC, but couldn't find it (this could get better or worse :rolleyes: ). Whatever we decide to do as a community (with Vtac's approval, of course), it is always in our power individually (and collectively) to monitor our own behavior and inform others about the benefits of following the norms of the forum as they evolve.

Much love to all of those who try to help enable smokers live healthier lives by spreading the vapor :D

Progress,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
I am very late to the party here, but i would suggest the addition of one forum: a complete off topic forum. I get the feeling and i have seen some other users get the feeling that the vapor lounge is still intented for vapor related topics. You could have an off topic forum with a few individual stickys ( Gaming ) ( Technology ( tvs / computers / etc ) etc etc.

Survivalism,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
Survivalism said:
I am very late to the party here, but i would suggest the addition of one forum: a complete off topic forum. I get the feeling and i have seen some other users get the feeling that the vapor lounge is still intented for vapor related topics. You could have an off topic forum with a few individual stickys ( Gaming ) ( Technology ( tvs / computers / etc ) etc etc.
ya, thats what i was saying too

Acolyte of Zinglon,

EitherOr

Is it possible to list items specific to the FC/vaping culture(grinders,glass,etc) other than vapes in the existing "For Sale" thread?
I, like many others here, probably have tons of stuff I no longer use and I just store. Would it be possible to list items for private sale or trade between members here?

Edit: Because I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities regarding off-topic posts or ideas. I will amend my original post with a forum request to make it kosher with the thread topic.

Can we have a Member Only "For Sale/Trade" Thread? No commercial vendor's, private parties, sell/trade/barter, FC is not responsible - Caveat Emptor.

:cool:

EitherOr,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I would think we could have a thread that is like a for sale listings...1 post only per item, with an email contact for further discussion.

stickstones,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Does anyone think that there are people that join forums just to sabotage them (quoting long passages repeatedly, constantly derailing threads with off-topic comments, posting misinformation and illegible posts, and not opening up their own threads to do so) OR am I just getting :suspicious: paranoid :suspicious: in my old age :goat:

Progress,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Progress said:
Does anyone think that there are people that join forums just to sabotage them (quoting long passages repeatedly, constantly derailing threads with off-topic comments, posting misinformation and illegible posts, and not opening up their own threads to do so) OR am I just getting :suspicious: paranoid :suspicious: in my old age :goat:
Yes those people do definatly exist, most often they are reffered to as trolls, FC is much to small of a forum to have people come troll us though.

Survivalism,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I skipped page 2 :rolleyes: ... LEAVE EVERYTHING AS IT IS !!! I can't keep up and I've only been away for a week :uhoh:

As you were...

vaporcloud,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
^

Agreed.

It's pretty well organized as it is. I mean, we only have a handful of active threads, not to mention a pretty small user base right now.... why fix what isn't broken? I think that's the old adage....

Put more effort in the 'Wiki. :2c: I hope to some day get off my ass, learn how to do it and add a bunch of stuff. I think others should do the same too.

Let the conversations flow, but keep a wiki as reference/source.

SpiralArchitect,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
if you already have a sever set up (like, an actual server, like the one that hosts this site)
(note i came up with this conclusion after about 20 minutes reading, so if anybody with greater irc knowledge than me could chime in and correct me, id be very grateful)

Acolyte of Zinglon,

EitherOr

ttt

EitherOr said:
Is it possible to list items specific to the FC/vaping culture(grinders,glass,etc) other than vapes in the existing "For Sale" thread?
I, like many others here, probably have tons of stuff I no longer use and I just store. Would it be possible to list items for private sale or trade between members here?

Edit: Because I don't want to offend anyone's sensibilities regarding off-topic posts or ideas. I will amend my original post with a forum request to make it kosher with the thread topic.

Can we have a Member Only "For Sale/Trade" Section? No commercial vendor's, private parties, sell/trade/barter, FC is not responsible - Caveat Emptor.

:cool:

EitherOr,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Here's my :2c:

Maybe some good Newbie basic vaporization stickies
Yup, a sticky with links to popular threads/a pseudo FAQ would be very helpful!

i really think we need at least an irc chat room though
Just make a channel on a secure network. http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/

any items in the vape or weed culture can be sold?
We'll allow other vape related items in the current thread.

ttt
Uhh... what? :p

Ok, tons of ideas and opinions on the subject of new forums. Overall I agree that things are working pretty well as is. The idea of an additional off topic forum in addition to the vapor lounge is intriguing, but there would be a lot of overlap between them. What's wrong with posting off topic stuff in the lounge?

I still like the idea of a forum for newbies to ask for help in but I'm still on the fence. On the one hand, it would be a good service to help spread the vapor, as well as keep those threads out of the more serious discussion forums. However it would almost definitely attract a lot of those "give me answers, i'm not willing to read anything" threads, and I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary quite yet.

You're right, Progress, we're going to have to make a conscious effort to help keep the good information easy to find. The great thing is we have so many smart people on board who want to help this place succeed. :tup:

vtac,

youdontknowme

Maybe if the Vapor Lounge was just name 'The Lounge' people wouldn't think its for vapor talk only
I liked that idea about letting you mod your own thread to an extent.

Make sure only SSL connections are allowed to IRC.

youdontknowme,

extremechick

vtac said:
For example if we had a 'Games' forum I might mention that Crayon Physics Deluxe came out today. Pretty fun so far, I like good indie games. :)

edit: Yesterday.

Demo
I'm assuming, vtac, you meant things completely separate from vaping. A gaming forum would be great, what about a music forum? Pretty broad, I know, but I'm listening to some smooth Beck right now.....aaaahhhhhhh.......

extremechick,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom