Do we need more forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
The Vapor Lounge is basically where any non vapor related topics go now. But in your opinion, is there room for more? Personally I don't think there'd be much interest, people come here to talk vapes.

Really I just wanted to make a new forum because I'm bored, high and can't sleep. :lol:

:goat:

edit: Going to close this thread, please continue discussion here ------> http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=15075#p15075

:)

vtac,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
to be honest I think it work really well like it is for now but a pm box or a chat room might be really nice :razz:
:2c:

Clear_Dome,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Private messaging is coming as soon as it's added to the core of this software. Looking forward to that as well.

vtac,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Just a thought:

Many come here (like myself) for info and find a great deal of it (you rock Vtac), yet have to sift through to find what they may be looking for (addressed recently in PD thread, I think).

My suggestion (before adding another section--whatever you called it), possibly combine threads into folders (i.e. in the model-specific section the folders could be 1) one for each model discussed, 2) Comparisons, 3) Personal Experiences/Stories, 4) General Questions, etc.--just off the top of my head...). Large folders could get sub-folders, etc. This could help keep things from getting lost and encourage people to find answers rather than asking 'that question' again. Everything that did not have enough for it's own category would be misc (may encourage some to readdress topics that have been forgotten). You could either do this when you can't sleep or open it up to forum members that don't mind you having pre-approval and total veto/edit power.

One other thought, through the same means (yourself vs. assisted) It could be nice to neaten up (delete some of the off-topic/repetitive/unclear/cat-fight posts) some of the EXTREMELY long threads (Purple Days, Extreme, etc.). In order not to offend anyone the more-compact, informative thread could begin with a link to the full-length thread (would be a big project, but could help avoid repetition of ?'s and make sit MUCH more user-friendly--for info). People could also plea for their post to be included if it had been removed, etc. This could also encourage people to try make posts that others will view as valuable, clear, informative, etc. (and edit unclear posts, misstatements, etc.).

As always, this is just my :2c:
and I do not mean any offense.
I just thought I could help and shared,
knowing I would not be offended if no one cared.

(woa, is it Dr. Suess' birthday or something?...what happened there?... :lol: )

Progress,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
lol, please limit responses to 'yes' or 'no', don't scare me the the prospect of additional work. :lol:

have to sift through to find what they may be looking for
Hopefully the wiki will help with that.

possibly combine threads into folders
Not possible in the current version of this software unfortunately.

It could be nice to neaten up (delete some of the off-topic/repetitive/unclear/cat-fight posts) some of the EXTREMELY long threads (Purple Days, Extreme, etc.).
I wouldn't want to be the judge of that. :uhoh::ninja:

Believe me I wish everything was perfectly organized and no one ever went off topic or made irrelevant/unhelpful posts in model specific threads, but that's just the nature of forums, imo (look how fast this thread went off topic :)). Asking nicely to stay on topic is all you can do, and even then I feel like a jerk most of the time. No thanks to the other mods. :lol:

Again, the wiki can help with organizing all the best info, but some effort is required, those articles don't write themselves.

One possible benefit to having more forums would be the potential to keep the chit chat out of the model specific and otherwise focused threads. I don't know.

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
Cool game. Now if it came with the screen for $19.95....:brow:

max,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I think it is just dandy how it is, i.e. n'o'.

More forums = more organization = more work for mods = more searching.

Don't we have a 'Games' thread? We should. :D

I mean, we have a, how shall you put it, rather limited user base to begin with. Under 50 members, would you say? It's rather intimate to begin with.

SpiralArchitect,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Believe me I wish everything was perfectly organized and no one ever went off topic or made irrelevant/unhelpful posts in model specific threads, but that's just the nature of forums, imo (look how fast this thread went off topic smile). Asking nicely to stay on topic is all you can do, and even then I feel like a jerk most of the time. No thanks to the other mods. lol

Again, the wiki can help with organizing all the best info, but some effort is required, those articles don't write themselves.

One possible benefit to having more forums would be the potential to keep the chit chat out of the model specific and otherwise focused threads. I don't know.
First and foremost, this site was above and beyond the rest for vape shopping/use info (insert the applause of the crowd that grows to a standing ovation accompanied be the crowd chanting "Vtac!, VTac!!, VTAC!!!" ;) ).

I did not intend for my post to take this thread 'off- topic'.

My revised answer is 'no'...I'd rather organize the stuff I have in the house I built than build an addition to store more stuff (although in reality it was YOU who built this beautiful house all 364(?) of us live in...insert the applause of the crowd that grows to a... :D )

I also agree that the Vaporpedia (is that what you meant by 'the wiki'?) helps provide more concise information. I am sure it is also a lot of work. The two vapes that have their own section looks like a nice start ;)

Toke it easy (and, everyone, toke one for Vtac!)

Progress,

youdontknowme

No

as I was reading Progress's first post I kept thinking in my head "wiki" "wiki" "wiki" but it's going to take lot of effort before vaporpedia is up to spec. I'll make an honest effort once im back at school. No, its not easy to find info on this forum, but thems the breaks. Its an asynchronous discussion, not an encyclopedia. the two serve different purposes.

the existing forums work fine, but people have tendency to get *way* off topic and derail the threads. i would only reconsider when the active userbase and number of new topics per day increase to well above their current levels.

youdontknowme,

bongoman

I never really understood what happened to vaporinfo.com

Although I notice that the most users they ever had online was in November 2008, only a couple of months ago, so whilst it's not an active forum in terms of posts, it is obviously serving as a resource.

bongoman,

Beezleb

youdontknowme said:
No

as I was reading Progress's first post I kept thinking in my head "wiki" "wiki" "wiki" but it's going to take lot of effort before vaporpedia is up to spec. I'll make an honest effort once im back at school. No, its not easy to find info on this forum, but thems the breaks. Its an asynchronous discussion, not an encyclopedia. the two serve different purposes.

the existing forums work fine, but people have tendency to get *way* off topic and derail the threads. i would only reconsider when the active userbase and number of new topics per day increase to well above their current levels.
I agree, being too ambitious may have ramifications other than intended and keeping the two resources distinct and different is a ideal and in the timing as to when re-organize.

Beezleb,

hazy

combustion fucker
Manufacturer
The only thing that I see in a lot of other forums and feel is missing here is a buying/selling section where both vendors and members can advertise stuff that is wanted or for sale.

hazy,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
the only thing i would suggest is a cannabis related "off-topic" forum and then a separate general off topic forum, instead of cramping them together in the vapor lounge

Acolyte of Zinglon,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
hazy said:
The only thing that I see in a lot of other forums and feel is missing here is a buying/selling section where both vendors and members can advertise stuff that is wanted or for sale.
:D WIN :D

if we had a selling section it could encourage more member's selling quality vaporizers...not like the P.O.S vapes I see i craigs list

Hennessy1414,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Beezleb said:
Great idea. Besides vapes what about glass and such.
that should be allowed for our skim milk shots :D

:peace:

(thanks for the vapor sale spot....very cool of yall)

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
bongoman said:
Although I notice that the most users they ever had online was in November 2008
Spambots most likely.

AoZ said:
the only thing i would suggest is a cannabis related "off-topic" forum and then a separate general off topic forum, instead of cramping them together in the vapor lounge
Thought about that too, but it seems like there would probably be a lot of overlap.

hazy said:
The only thing that I see in a lot of other forums and feel is missing here is a buying/selling section
You can thank max. http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=453

Beezleb said:
Would be cool but again, probably just not enough interest atm.

Another one I've considered is a newbie section where people can post their "help me I'm new" "what vape should I buy?" questions. A lot of the time those threads don't really fit into "Vaporizer discussion" or "General Vaporization Discussion". Plus most of our members are not newbies so those threads aren't helpful for them. Could also make it easier for newbs to find what they want. I mean there aren't that many threads like that but just a thought.

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
No. This place is wonderful.

Altough...vtac I do like that newbie idea. In principal. In practice, I think it might just encourage more of that self-centered, I-don't-have-the-time-to-read-the-wealth-of-information-already-available type of behavior.

partially veiled,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
vtac said:
Beezleb said:
Would be cool but again, probably just not enough interest atm.
ahhh....we need the beauty of nice glass for our members tho :cool:
vtac said:
Another one I've considered is a newbie section where people can post their "help me I'm new" "what vape should I buy?" questions. A lot of the time those threads don't really fit into "Vaporizer discussion" or "General Vaporization Discussion". Plus most of our members are not newbies so those threads aren't helpful for them. Could also make it easier for newbs to find what they want. I mean there aren't that many threads like that but just a thought.
im totally 100% with ya there...I have NO problem helping a new vaporist in the making choosing a vaporizer...but when im trying to look for the good stuff and i find that mixed in....i can only imagine the nightmare someone who wasn't familiar with this site would have when they try to look for a review on the BC vaporizer ( :lol: page 3 on vaporizer discussion)

we just need to break down whats posted in the 3 sections :)

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I do like that newbie idea. In principal. In practice, I think it might just encourage more of that self-centered, I-don't-have-the-time-to-read-the-wealth-of-information-already-available type of behavior.
Maybe, but at least it'd keep it out of the main forums. OTOH it could make it easier for newbies to find what they want.

You're right, some people just want info given to them. Can't stop that, but maybe control where it happens?

I dunno, you're probably right.

:shrug:

vtac,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
vtac said:
You're right, some people just want info given to them. Can't stop that, but maybe control where it happens?
Well that's a really good point. I for one don't mind helping a prospective vaper in need...and I'm sure many here feel the same. Hell, whatever helps people get healthier and change there lifestyle is something I want to be involved in. As long as it doesn't get too out of hand. I mean, you are always going to have the odd person asking these questions...I just hope that creating a specific space for it won't encourage people who may have otherwise put some time into doing the research (in the absence of that space to ask their personal "help me" question) to just forgo that and plop a question down instead. I dunno, as long as we don't end up babysitting people too much then yes, I realize we can't ask everyone to read all of our forums...so this does seem like a good idea. It may quickly get redundant...but I suppose we won't know unless we try. Why not give it a trial period? Create the space, see if it gets used at all or if it gets abused or whatever and then act accordingly? I mean, you build it, you can tear it down right? Seems simple enough.

I really hope I don't come off as a negative nancy dude, because this is a great idea. I'm just a bit too skeptical most times.

partially veiled,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom