Davinci by Karma

OF

Or trade up we hope

It had better be a lot better if they want this one.... Otherwise, it's not for trade. Nope, no thanks.

Although it's OK with me if they get away from the Red/green secret code some can't understand thing. My modification to shine the green light out the hole I drilled in the top lets me use this one at least. And I'm very glad I cut the hole in the sleeve for the charger plug, if I had to fight that sucker on and off every time I wouldn't recharge it as often as I do meaning it'd die on me more often and I'd like it less.....

OF

OF,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Wow the charger plug bothers you too...I thought it was just me.

Yea, those lights must be a bitch for ya. I don't even really use the green one anymore. I can taste what I need to. The red one you don't need to see the color either cause when it is not blue it is bright as heck. I think I can see it with my eyes closed.

I agree it would have to really be a different item for me to even consider it. I got what I wanted from this one and still use it. Even a lid change wouldn't make me get a new one. It would have to beat my INH and that won't be easy.

hitnrun

Just thought I'd share a couple experiences or "enhancements". I don't do oils; not that I wouldn't, they're just not available to me. So, I pulled the stuffing from those cute little canisters that come with the DV, flipped them over and enlarged the bottom hole (drilled out with a 3/16" drill bit), and borrowing from JR's suggestion elsewhere I formed a spacer-ring using 1/16" stainless steel wire wrapped around a 1/4" dowel... removed from the dowel, this ring fit perfectly inside the canister, over which I dropped in a small screen (again, furnished with the DV). Vaping herb placed inside the canister seems to benefit from the hole enlargement, without falling through because of the screen. It comes out medium dark brown, and saves gumming up the DV's heater.

Second mod, was for me a true enhancement. I have trouble breathing hot, dry air, and it probably doesn't get much drier than out of a vaporizer. All the recent excitement over a certain bubbler got me thinking... I went to a local glass shop, inquiring of bubbler downstems, and came home with a $20 4-inch long fitting with 6 tiny slits on one end and a 10mm(I'm guessing, but it's close) ground opening on the other -- I assume something glass was supposed to fit in there. In addition, you'll need perhaps 36 inches of 3/8" ID clear hose and a medium size plastic container with lid (like those used in a deli or grocery store for potato salad, etc). Punch or drill two holes in the plastic container lid: one slightly smaller than the hose's OD (~7/16") and the second to accommodate the $20 glass stem. Fill the container with about 3 inches of fresh water. Cut 10"-12" off your hose, slip one end over the DV straw/whip, and insert the other end into the glass stem (I wrapped the hose with 3-4 turns of electrical tape (not the sticky kind, the smooth black plastic tape) for a snug fit). Snap on the lid and make certain the stem slits are covered by water. Take your other piece of hose and insert one end just into the hole in the lid... but NOT into the water. Turn on your DV, wait for it to come up to temp, and wal-la... a new DV bubbler is born. The hits are incredibly smooth and non-irritating. Enjoy.

Wity

The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
Hello I m about to buy a Da vinci but first i want to be sure it s a Convection Vapo and not a conduction
Vaposhop Europe is saying that s it s a Conduction ??

DaVinci Info
Automatic switch-off Yes
Digital Yes
Flexible tube Yes
Suitable for liquids Yes (more info...)
Warranty 2 years
Type of heating Conduction (more info...)
Portable Yes
Adjustable temperature Yes

Other sites are peaking about convection
Anyone one have an answer ?

Wity,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I would say it is mostly conduction.

:peace:

I think that when you are inhaling it is mostly convection, although the MJ still keeps contact with the tube walls.

But when you let it sit still there is a lot of conduction going on, since the tube is narrow and the MJ kind of piles up so most of the material is in direct contact with the metal walls. And since you can't keep inhaling, during all that time between hits, it will be slowly cooking the herb.

vorrange,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think that when you are inhaling it is mostly convection, although the MJ still keeps contact with the tube walls.

But when you let it sit still there is a lot of conduction going on, since the tube is narrow and the MJ kind of piles up so most of the material is in direct contact with the metal walls. And since you can't keep inhaling, during all that time between hits, it will be slowly cooking the herb.
That was my initial understanding as well, vorrange. However the more I used it (and thought about it) I have revised my thinking. My thought process is that unless there is pre-heated air going into the herb chamber, then the majority of vaporization is occurring via conduction. I would love to see a schematic of the airpath that disproves this theory, however. Until I do, I'm sticking with the "mostly convection" theory.

Stu,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Here is a pic: Davinci Pocket Vaporizer by Karma

Not a schematic per se, but i think you get the idea. So you say that the actual walls are the ones doing the extracting and not so much the air? Because IIRC the air got quite hot, even with such a small air path.

vorrange,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Here is a pic: Davinci Pocket Vaporizer by Karma

Not a schematic per se, but i think you get the idea. So you say that the actual walls are the ones doing the extracting and not so much the air? Because IIRC the air got quite hot, even with such a small air path.
I have seen that image. Without seeing what the heater is actually heating (either the herb chamber, or air entering the herb chamber), it's tough to tell. The taste alone seems to scream "conduction" to me. I've been wrong before, mind you. And I'll be wrong in the future. The important thing to take away from this however is that I'm probably wrong now, as well. :wave:

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I have seen that image. Without seeing what the heater is actually heating (either the herb chamber, or air entering the herb chamber), it's tough to tell. The taste alone seems to scream "conduction" to me. I've been wrong before, mind you. And I'll be wrong in the future. The important thing to take away from this however is that I'm probably wrong now, as well. :wave:

IIRC, the heating material is a film that is wrapped around the heating chamber, and the heating chamber is inside that pot you see in the picture with the holes. But i could be wrong too. ahah. :)

I have wondered many times about this and about the physical process of vaporization with the DV.

I find that, compared to the Solo, if i keep the stem all the time, the flavours are much more alike both in taste and duration, hence more conduction IMO.
But since the Solo has the ability for one to remove the stem between each hit, there is only convection with a little bit of conduction but not much.

With the DV, the taste is not conduction only, otherwise there would not be such an even roast, but compared to the Solo it is much quicker to fade away and start getting bitter.

vorrange,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I still feel comfortable calling it mostly conduction, but there is no real way to quantify it at this point, so we'll have to settle for opinions over facts for now.

Once Pakalolo has weighed in on the subject, we will have a solid reference to cite. :nod:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think a simple way to think about conduction vs. convection is this: Is the air entereing the herb chamber hotter or colder than the ambient air in the chamber?

If the entering air is cooler than the ambient air in the herb chamber, then the herb will be cooled by the draw, thus acting as a conduit to "sweep away" the goodies created in the chamber. This type of vaporization offers the densest vapor in the beginning of the draw, but quickly thins out as the cooler incoming air brings the herb chamber to less than optimal vaporization temperatures. This is what I would consider to be mostly conduction.

If the incoming air it hotter than the herb chamber, then the herb is heated by the actively passing air. These types of draws start initially with thinner vapor that increases over the duration of the hit. This is what I would consider to be mostly convection.

Of course there are other factors at play that are too numerous to mention, and no vape uses solely convection or conduction, but use both to some extent or another.

This is nothing more than one layman's personal thought experiment, but I would love to hear others thoughts on the subject (where's Pakalolo when you need him?).

OF

I just received my DaVinci and the temp will not go higher than 405. Is that normal?

No, first such report AFAIK. Some sort of running change? I can't think of a failure that would cause this, it's a setpoint, not a feedback value at that point. I don't know the details of the system, of course, but am pretty sure it has to be intentional. Not a broken wire, bad part, poor workmanship or that sort of thing. Interesting.

I'd contact them and ask. You won't need to go that high for bud, but it's mighty handy if you're doing concentrates.....

Good luck.

OF

OF,
I was just making sure mine wasn't defective. I called Davinci and they weren't even sure. The guy checked and then told me you cannot set it higher than 405 but it will fluctuate higher than that, but he didn't sound to sure.

EDIT: thanks for the quick reply by the way. I was pretty nervous. I've had bad luck with defective units over the years

Ape With A Vape,

Dreamerr

Only going to 405 is a change...I would call again and talk to someone who knows for sure. It will be harder to do burns at that temp a little goes a long way.

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I was just making sure mine wasn't defective. I called Davinci and they weren't even sure. The guy checked and then told me you cannot set it higher than 405 but it will fluctuate higher than that, but he didn't sound to sure.

EDIT: thanks for the quick reply by the way. I was pretty nervous. I've had bad luck with defective units over the years

He lied to you.. I don't even understand how he told you that. I'm not sure right now how high it went but at least 410F, and i believe it went until 430F. I never went over 400F though..

vorrange,
Reactions: OF

Dreamerr

I think it is 430...to lazy to reach over and check for sure. I am fairly sure though. So if it is 405 for sure it is a change and I would want to know for sure.

Dreamerr,
I could tell he was bullshitting by the sound in his voice and the fact that I knew more about the vape than he did. I'm just soo tired of customer service I said fuck it and used it. After 3 10 minute burn ins at 405, I could barely see a hint of off gas. So I used it and I am very satisfied with my first session. Does anybody have a different number besides the toll free one? I don't want to deal with that guy again.

The box says 100- 430 on it haha

EDIT: Thanks for merging my post. I should have edited it in instead of double posting.

EDIT#2: The off-gassing was thick at first, but by the third it was soo light and thin I could hardly see it. By the end it had basically diminished to nothing. If it was off-gassing at a steady rate instead of dimishing I wouldn't have used it.

Ape With A Vape,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
What does it say when the company employees who are supposed to sort your doubts and help you, know less than you about the unit they are selling?! That is not customer service, that's company disservice. :D

I think you should send it back, could be something else wrong with your DV. But, i still maintain that since most here never use it that high, you will be pretty satisfied with it nonetheless.

vorrange,
Now my DaVinci will only display Celcius. It's showing that is is Fahrenheit, but it will only go to 207 and it says its 38 in here haha. I guess I have another defective unit.

EDIT: it also never goes back to a set temp when I turn it off, it just stays where I had it

Ape With A Vape,
Top Bottom